Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

prototypes have a tendency to take on life so be careful what you hack together and how, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

don't u just go to nugget and get the three packages for that then glue them together? sounds like a half hour job tops

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Bloody posted:

don't u just go to nugget and get the three packages for that then glue them together? sounds like a half hour job tops

i'm a barely literate moron so it might take me as much as two hours

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Krankenstyle posted:

prototypes have a tendency to take on life so be careful what you hack together and how, imo

corollary: the answer to a proof of concept "investigating whether we could do this" is "yes". no exceptions

nobody ever fuckin thinks about "investigating whether we should do this"

<insert jeff goldblum here>

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

carry on then posted:

uh, do you not think mvps are possible in java?

that depends entirely on what dependencies you inject via XML in your AbstractFactoryContainer

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
LOL Dave Winer and Chuck Shotton insist I must be entirely ignorant of Electron and Node.js because I don’t worship it and I write native code instead of web pages

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

eschaton posted:

LOL Dave Winer and Chuck Shotton insist I must be entirely ignorant of Electron and Node.js because I don’t worship it and I write native code instead of web pages

who and who?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Ignorance of node is a virtue

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

theyre all just different tools for different purposes - just be pragmatic about it. i personally find my work more interesting and productive when when ive got options.

Gazpacho posted:

Ignorance of node is a virtue

thats probably true regardless of my last few posts

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

having actually for somewhat tangential reasons (a very decent node library solving a problem, i.e. interacting with a messy web service, i had) done a tiny bit of node i will rather say: knowledge of node is no virtue, to a great extent because the entire thing is incredibly trivial

i would never deploy it if it can be avoided, and would sooner quit my job than get into a situation where i deploy and have to actually support a node thing over time, but the fact that it is simple is one good thing i dare say about it

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

let me remind you that extremism in the defense of type safety is no vice, and moderation in the pursuit of performance is no virtue - barry siliconwater

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
so does node have a decent logging library yet? last time I checked they were insisting on not having a general abstraction and so your node service might run or not but you're guaranteed to have zero insight into why

i know there's something called Winston which some people like but it's supported by approx 0.01% of the ecosystem

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if you’re node app needs logging it is no longer a prototype

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Sagacity posted:

so does node have a decent logging library yet?

i see what you did here. nice trick question.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
major props to Java for turning off a generation of people to static typing until better languages came along

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Sagacity posted:

so does node have a decent logging library yet? last time I checked they were insisting on not having a general abstraction and so your node service might run or not but you're guaranteed to have zero insight into why

i know there's something called Winston which some people like but it's supported by approx 0.01% of the ecosystem

https://github.com/strongloop/modern-syslog

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LinYutang posted:

major props to Java for turning off a generation of people to static typing until better languages came along

what better languages?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

yeah, Dylan predates Java/Oak by many years

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stringent posted:

what better languages?

haskell

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Stringent posted:

what better languages?

c#

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Stringent posted:

what better languages?

java 8

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ok I'll buy that

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Golang and Kotlin are eating Java's lunch wherever it used to be relevant.

Nobody except grampas shaking fists as clouds are interested in starting a new project in Java, condolences

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

LinYutang posted:

Nobody except grampas shaking fists as clouds are interested in starting a new project in Java, condolences

lol ok

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LinYutang posted:

i want to frame this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
kotlin is litterrally java and go is a joke

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

LinYutang posted:

they are, in the same way that the toilet eats my lunch

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

lol golang.

i kinda like it, but no way is it a better language than java. it’s alright at best.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I’ve seen one company in my native Scandinavian land use go for their backend. their hiring pool has been exhausted when they hired that one candidate

that company? it’s called vivino

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Go's eating a few languages' lunches, mostly:

- python & ruby for devops folks who want a single binary to be shipped (rather than maintaining scripting environments) and better concurrency control than they have in their language
- erlang & elixir folks where the concurrency niche is very similar -- but to me as an Erlang dude, this is like "C++ and Java eating Smalltalks' OO lunch" and welp
- node.js for some server-side poo poo where badly-managed goroutines are still much better than callback-based hell, the front-end is not super important, and where promises and other constructs in JS have arrived a bit too late

For the most part, I wouldn't expect Go to make a significant dent into any other community's user counts.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 16, 2018

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

golang? people actually use that poo poo?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MononcQc posted:

- python & ruby for devops folks who want a single binary to be shipped (rather than maintaining scripting environments) and better concurrency control than they have in their language

fwiw this is why i kind of like golang: it’s got problems, but i’d much rather be using it than python/ruby/perl and being able to ship a single binary is nice.

it’s no c#, but i wouldn’t use that for the things i think go works well for anyway.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
golang is extremely good for devops stuff yeah

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

What's the use case for .NET? Some misguided people up the chain watched one too many youtube videos and has sprinkled the suggestion that we do all future linux work in .NET Core, for homogeneity purposes with their front-end internal apps team in a different department.

I don't know if they're yanking my chain but I'm plowing ahead with Go. Putting significant time into .NET Core will eventually be met with "Why don't we just develop and run this under Windows? And lets move this data to MS-SQL too!" and then my drinking will develop into full alcoholism.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MononcQc posted:

Go's eating a few languages' lunches, mostly:

- erlang & elixir folks where the concurrency niche is very similar -- but to me as an Erlang dude, this is like "C++ and Java eating Smalltalks' OO lunch" and welp
- node.js for some server-side poo poo where badly-managed goroutines are still much better than callback-based hell, the front-end is not super important, and where promises and other constructs in JS have arrived a bit too late

For the most part, I wouldn't expect Go to make a significant dent into any other community's user counts.

completely agree w/ think post

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

homercles posted:

What's the use case for .NET? Some misguided people up the chain watched one too many youtube videos and has sprinkled the suggestion that we do all future linux work in .NET Core, for homogeneity purposes with their front-end internal apps team in a different department.

I don't know if they're yanking my chain but I'm plowing ahead with Go. Putting significant time into .NET Core will eventually be met with "Why don't we just develop and run this under Windows? And lets move this data to MS-SQL too!" and then my drinking will develop into full alcoholism.

if you're too poor to afford windows .net core lets you make the best of a bad situation.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

homercles posted:

lol. nice attempt but the golang bit makes it too obvious. 3/10.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

homercles posted:

.NET languages are cool but the ecosystem is a gigantic mess. the entire legacy of .NET development basically went in the toilet when .NET Core came out, so you're limited to the subset of libraries that were specifically designed for or have been updated for .NET Core. also ASP.NET has been redesigned around an IoC container (which they heavily conflate with the concept of dependency injection in general). .NET Core is legitimately cross-platform though, so I don't think there's any risk of it being a slippery slope to Full MS Now unless someone already has that agenda. You can still develop on Windows against .NET Core and run stuff in Linux Docker containers -- that's what I've done for work, and it worked well enough. It's not terrible if you have pre-existing reasons for using C# or another .NET language, but there's nothing that makes .NET worth switching to on its own if you're already using something that does basically the same stuff.

I'd still take it over golang.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
more j-blo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZgbKrDEzAs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

IDEs are a piece of junk outside of the debugger and editor.