Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The game saves video clips of the final turn of every chapter specific boss battle and plays them after you finish a character's final chapter/Ch. 4 while the credits roll. It even has your party comp with their specific jobs at the time.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Yesterday I learned I can boost spells.

The game suddenly got so much more easy

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

This game is really cozy so far, feels like a storybook.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I'm really enjoying this game but for some reason I'm having a hard time playing it for any extended amount of time. It might have been my busy weekend but according to my save file I've put about ~3.5 hours into it over the whole weekend, but it feels like I've easily played 10 hours or whatever. I've started out with Therion and just went clockwise, finishing up H'aanits chapter 1 and then moving on to Ophelia.

Now I'm on my way to Alfyn and everything's pretty fun and I'm enjoying it but I end up doing a Chapter 1 of a new character and then I'm just kinda done. Feels like there's a ton of downtime with all the cutscenes and people walking three steps before continuing to speak which takes like 5 minutes to pop up another text box and yada yada yada. I hope I can get into it a bit more in the near future because as I said, I'm really enjoying the game in general. It just feels like it drags a bit.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I had a Vince style series of reactions when I started boosting Therions ability that gives sp and saw it go from half to all to 150%. :eyepop:

Therion is my favourite sp battery. I brought him along to a dungeon where my other 3 party members were level 26-27 and was 10. His constant levelling meant that Cyrus was never wanting for sp for the whole dungeon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think usually I would be against not giving experience to charterers who aren't currently in your party, but good it's satisfying to take a level one character and have them rapidly jump up in level as you go about your business.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Elderbean posted:

This game is really cozy so far, feels like a storybook.

Wait until you find Primrose

yikes

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I think usually I would be against not giving experience to charterers who aren't currently in your party, but good it's satisfying to take a level one character and have them rapidly jump up in level as you go about your business.

Yeah it feels like leveling up was designed to be something of a resource. I found myself getting into a fight or two before a boss just to trigger a level for healing early on.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ugato posted:

Yeah it feels like leveling up was designed to be something of a resource. I found myself getting into a fight or two before a boss just to trigger a level for healing early on.

What else am I supposed to do, use up some of these dozens of grapes and plums I never use ever?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Edit: this was a double post

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to wonder if I should do something other than Thief on Tressa. Her "Sorry!" when stealing items is very adorbs but it just feels sad to have her only utility be to give away SP and BP to other characters, I miss dealing damage with her.

What other job would be a good fit for her?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I find that the steal Sp ability does bonkers amount of damage

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I'm starting to wonder if I should do something other than Thief on Tressa. Her "Sorry!" when stealing items is very adorbs but it just feels sad to have her only utility be to give away SP and BP to other characters, I miss dealing damage with her.

I've found that the SP/HP stealing abilities actually deal pretty respectable damage.

Her wind spells are as useful as ever too.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

I think Apothecary, because of Endless Items. I haven't had a chance to confirm it yet, but with Endless Items from Merchant you should be able to Concoct with a chance of not using the items?

Otherwise, her stats are all around fine so she can really do anything just fine, if not amazingly. Dancer would be good to turn her into a support class

OneDeadman posted:

also this. It is always two attacks, so they both get the benefit of being boosted. It's nice.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kashuno posted:

I think Apothecary, because of Endless Items. I haven't had a chance to confirm it yet, but with Endless Items from Merchant you should be able to Concoct with a chance of not using the items?

Otherwise, her stats are all around fine so she can really do anything just fine, if not amazingly. Dancer would be good to turn her into a support class

Concoct is Alfyn's thing. Other apothecaries don't get it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OneDeadman posted:

Maybe her gear is just that outdated, she's super duper weak compared to my other characters. Dancer Alfyn and Warrior H'aanit are clobbering people in the face for upwards of 2000 damage, Tressa is happy to deal 200. :(

Basically I always feel like it's better to give use her turn to give BP to H'aanit than to do anything herself, since H'aanit just destroys everything.

Kashuno posted:

That would be the other way around, Concoct is Alfyn's special ability and Endless Items is a job ability. That's a good suggestion though, I should level Alfyn a bit as a Merchant and get that ability on him!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Concoct is Alfyn's thing. Other apothecaries don't get it.

Oh drat. I've never bothered with subclassing apothecary onto anyone since Alfyn is my main character. That sucks then!

Your Computer posted:

That's a good suggestion though, I should level Alfyn a bit as a Merchant and get that ability on him!

I have been doing that though! I am honestly not sure if it's working but I think it is.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

This game is good but has me hopeful that OT2 will have a more cohesive story with more character interaction. I know that would be difficult, but I hope they figure it out. For me the game feels really hollow story-wise. I love the characters I have, but I'm currently trying to get all 8 characters and that means spending several hours without hearing the majority of the characters speak since their stories aren't being continued.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I have Tressa as a Apoc anyway and it's working out pretty well. She deals a good amount of damage and is great for single heals and can restore herself for basically free with her resting.

That said I am just starting her chapter 2 so maybe she'll fall off and stop doing like 1-2k off a full burst.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Donate BP is s o g o o d and I love my support Tressa who uses it and thief's Share SP/steal SP to enable everybody else to be all flavors of kickass. She's a little battery :3:

And with her donating BP I can nearly always have enough for Olberic to use his Divine skill on Broken enemies, which regularly hits for over 20k and I'm only just after chapter 2 :eyepop:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Verisimilidude posted:

This game is good but has me hopeful that OT2 will have a more cohesive story with more character interaction. I know that would be difficult, but I hope they figure it out. For me the game feels really hollow story-wise. I love the characters I have, but I'm currently trying to get all 8 characters and that means spending several hours without hearing the majority of the characters speak since their stories aren't being continued.

yeah a lot of the clips of party banter are really really good too! I wish they could've done more with it, because what they do have is really good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have Tressa as a Apoc anyway and it's working out pretty well. She deals a good amount of damage and is great for single heals and can restore herself for basically free with her resting.

Tressa is an adorable apothecary and Alfyn is an adorable merchant but I feel like it might not be a good idea to have both of those on the same team :negative:

really though, apothecary and merchant have the cutest costumes on basically all the characters and I'm sad they're not as good to double up on as say, Scholar.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

really though, apothecary and merchant have the cutest costumes on basically all the characters and I'm sad they're not as good to double up on as say, Scholar.

Hunter Tressa disagrees

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It would have been easy but it would require them to sacrifice a bit of player freedom. All they would've needed to do is require you to recruit everyone before moving on to the Chapter 2s. It's what most people are doing anyway so I doubt many would have minded.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Hunter Tressa disagrees
I said basically for this specific reason

Hunter Tressa is powerful

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Wait until you find Primrose

yikes

It's still a story, it's just that the story is men brutalizing women. Like Jesus do I not even want to start her chapter 2 after how depressing her chapter 1 is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The one thing stopping me from rolling with mostly Alfyn, Primrose, Therion, and H'aanit first is that I can't decide what to do for subjobs if I don't want to double up (though maybe doubling up isn't so bad). I know Primrose is by far the best candidate for Scholar with her high elemental attack, but I'm not sure about the others. I think Warrior makes a lot of sense on either Therion or H'aanit, but neither Cleric nor Merchant seems like the best fit for Alfyn or Therion. Cleric on Alfyn would just be for the couple of buff spells it provides I think, which I'm not sure if I could do better with.

I realize I can switch things up, of course, but I'm wondering if maybe a different starting foursome would be easier to work with subjob-wise. Hm.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm the only one who really didn't like Primrose's chapter 1. :sigh: The overarching story about getting revenge on the people who murdered her father is interesting, but the sexual abuse stuff really felt kind of... not fine. I just feel like JRPGs might not be the right format for that sort of stuff.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

The one thing stopping me from rolling with mostly Alfyn, Primrose, Therion, and H'aanit first is that I can't decide what to do for subjobs if I don't want to double up (though maybe doubling up isn't so bad). I know Primrose is by far the best candidate for Scholar with her high elemental attack, but I'm not sure about the others. I think Warrior makes a lot of sense on either Therion or H'aanit, but neither Cleric nor Merchant seems like the best fit for Alfyn or Therion. Cleric on Alfyn would just be for the couple of buff spells it provides I think, which I'm not sure if I could do better with.

I realize I can switch things up, of course, but I'm wondering if maybe a different starting foursome would be easier to work with subjob-wise. Hm.

Tressa Thief is really good so I'd expect Therion Merchant to also be.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Well I got H'aanit dealing 8k damage in my first chapter 2 when she was exactly on the level recommendation, that was cool, that man died.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I made H'aanit my warrior and she's a tank. I haven't even begun chapter 2 and she's dealing like 1600 damage to every enemy with her sword ability.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harrow posted:

neither Cleric nor Merchant seems like the best fit for Alfyn

:confused: but merchant Alfyn owns :confused:

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
The fact that you can overload a party members SP by using a boosted Steal SP is pretty neat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I made H'aanit my warrior and she's a tank. I haven't even begun chapter 2 and she's dealing like 1600 damage to every enemy with her sword ability.

Yeah Warrior H'aanit seems extremely good. She seems to have a high crit rate and sky-high physical attack so boosting those even more seems like a very strong choice.

IcePhoenix posted:

:confused: but merchant Alfyn owns :confused:

What does it do for him, out of curiosity? Serious question, because I'm still pretty early on and I don't know what I'm doing yet :v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel like this powering up your attack system and being able to train new skills through jobs would work very well with the Dragon Ball property.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
SP stops being an issue pretty quickly at which point Therion is just there to steal things in towns and be a BP battery

Also anyone have any tips for the sorceror boss? I know I'm under levelled at 40 but he seems pretty solvable. Reflect magic doesn't seem to work though.

acumen fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 16, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

acumen posted:

SP stops being an issue pretty quickly at which point Therion is just there to steal things in towns and be a BP battery

The SP/HP steal skills do good damage

The debuffs aren't bad either

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

acumen posted:

Also anyone have any tips for the sorceror boss? I know I'm under levelled at 40 but he seems pretty solvable. Reflect magic doesn't seem to work though.

Reflect works BUT his spells hits multiple times so if you want to reflect it all you'll need more stacks of reflect on you. I messed around with it during the battle and it did reflect some spells back that hit his weakness a couple of times but I don't think it was super worth it. I was around 40 when I beat him with Tressa at 45. I think what you need to beat him is HP at 2k or above and being able to survive 1 barrage of his charged up spells. Other than that it's just a matter of getting a constant stream of damage in on him.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Does anything useful ever start to turn up from combat stealing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harrow posted:

What does it do for him, out of curiosity? Serious question, because I'm still pretty early on and I don't know what I'm doing yet :v:

Gives him good weapon coverage and makes him a good utility character in general (he donates BP to Prim constantly for me).

Also I haven't tested it yet but Concoct + Endless items has the potential to be pretty hilarious (though I suppose you only need to be a merchant long enough to unlock that passive before switching to something else).

The real answer though is that his merchant outfit is incredibly good.