Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My Armani whatever has been great for battery, getting it to actually sit on the charger properly on the other hand... There's been way too many days where I wake up to find 25% left instead of 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

My Armani whatever has been great for battery, getting it to actually sit on the charger properly on the other hand... There's been way too many days where I wake up to find 25% left instead of 100%.

This has been my biggest problem with my HWatch as well. Getting it to sit properly on the stupid pogo pins is really hard, and sometimes it'll be there just enough to show the icon for a few seconds and then it slides off after I've already stopped paying attention to it.

I definitely want my next watch to have wireless charging, but failing that if they're going to use one of these proprietary docks they should at least design it to be easier to align and preferably self-aligning. Pins on the side would be nice, or stronger magnets and interlocking shapes on the dock that enforce the correct alignment for back-mounted pins.

Even a slightly thicker watch supporting a standard micro-B or USB-C connector would be preferable to the lovely pogo dock IMO.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

wolrah posted:

I definitely want my next watch to have wireless charging
My Explorist has this and the charging disc is really light so you can't count on it staying put. I had a coworker 3d print a dock and it works really well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

The charging dock for the OG Moto 360 was really good and cool.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The Huawei watch 2 dock is awesome, it just snaps into position thanks to a pretty strong magnet and keeps charging flawlessly even when my stupid cat swats it off the nightstand.

Honestly I am pretty amazed by the fact that huge companies in tyool 2018 still can't make a proper dock of all things

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

The charging dock for the OG Moto 360 was really good and cool.

How different is it from the 2nd gen one? I like the 2nd gen dock pretty well.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

How different is it from the 2nd gen one? I like the 2nd gen dock pretty well.
Close to identical. And yeah, those chargers were great.

The Misfit Vapor has stupid pogo pins with a rubbish magnet and the charger is so light the ribbon cable will cause it to move and then the watch will lose connection. It actually lives on top of my Pixel C because the magnet on that holds it in place.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

wolrah posted:

This has been my biggest problem with my HWatch as well. Getting it to sit properly on the stupid pogo pins is really hard, and sometimes it'll be there just enough to show the icon for a few seconds and then it slides off after I've already stopped paying attention to it.

I definitely want my next watch to have wireless charging, but failing that if they're going to use one of these proprietary docks they should at least design it to be easier to align and preferably self-aligning. Pins on the side would be nice, or stronger magnets and interlocking shapes on the dock that enforce the correct alignment for back-mounted pins.

Even a slightly thicker watch supporting a standard micro-B or USB-C connector would be preferable to the lovely pogo dock IMO.

The Amani charger is sort of wireless (just magnetic) but it's so sensitive and takes forever to let you know if it is charging.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Google just keeps removing good functionally from wear. I've suddenly lost the ability to use assistant on my watch to play music on my phone. Instead, it just opens play music on the watch and complains that there is no wifi. Even if there were WiFi, I'm loving driving, and want the music to come from the car speakers which are paired to the phone, not the watch.

Anyone know the magic incantation to get this to work again? Pixel XL, Huawei watch 2.

Before it stopped working entirely, I noticed it would refuse to play music from my library only, and instead always started a radio station.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Google just keeps removing good functionally from wear. I've suddenly lost the ability to use assistant on my watch to play music on my phone. Instead, it just opens play music on the watch and complains that there is no wifi. Even if there were WiFi, I'm loving driving, and want the music to come from the car speakers which are paired to the phone, not the watch.

Anyone know the magic incantation to get this to work again? Pixel XL, Huawei watch 2.

Before it stopped working entirely, I noticed it would refuse to play music from my library only, and instead always started a radio station.

I finally figured this out. If you have play music installed on the watch, it will attempt to play music on the watch - no choice in the matter. Uninstalling play music on the watch restored the default functionality of initiating playback on the phone. It would have been nice to have a choice, but honestly I'm never going to want my watch to be doing the playing. I suppose if you run AND drive, you're poo poo out of luck.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
My LG Urbane suddenly died after 2.5ish years. It was a great watch; did everything I ever needed it to do. I'm not sure what to do about replacing it. It doesn't look like LG has put out a new model in a while (pending the interesting hybrid Timepiece). I'm wary of switching to Samsung since I have found their phone/tablet ecosystem lacking in the past, though I like my S8. Huwai has their Android Wear watch, but I suspect deep down they're all still communists.

Notifications >>>> fitness tracking for me. I don't usually wear a watch while I exercise. I don't live in an area where NFC is common. I like a simple, aesthetically pleasing watch with a leather band. Are there any contenders besides Samsung and Huwai?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Bad time to buy a new Wear device, the new generation is coming later this year. I can't make any other recommendation for right now as the current generation chip is 2+ years old.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sometimes the third-generation Fossil Q watches get marked down on Amazon to ~$150. I'd say maybe it's worth it at that price.

Otherwise yeah I wouldn't touch anything until October when Google's slate of hardware for 2018 comes out.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

New Samsung watch might have Wear OS. Got me smart watch buying tinglies again

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hey, a new wear device. This is a dual display device falling back to a low power FSTN display when not interacting with the device.

GPS, NFC, IP68, Heart Rate Monitor.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/07/10/mobvois-ticwatch-pro-now-official-with-layered-display-and-30-day-battery-life/

It also has a mode to conserve battery where you basically shutdown most of the functionality and use only the FSTN display, it can last up to 30 days in that mode. They say two days with the normal "Smart" mode that switches between them. Still SD 2100.
$249.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

nm

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think it's because the dock has a tab that goes between the buttons which gives the impression the dock is part of the watch. It's only 12.6 mm thick.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I think it's because the dock has a tab that goes between the buttons which gives the impression the dock is part of the watch. It's only 12.6 mm thick.

FWIW, I deleted my post because I saw the part where they said how thick it was.

For anyone who is confused i made some comments about how the photo in his link made the watch look super thick.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Can't ever think a watch looks thick again after seeing the ZTE Quartz

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wow, if that had the new SoC I would buy that immediately.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wow, if that had the new SoC I would buy that immediately.

Pretty much the same thought. I like the look, I like the idea with the "dumbwatch" overlay, I like almost all the specs, but I really want to hold out for the new SoC.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, maybe the Pixel watch will do something similar. Remember, we had rumblings around an LG watch with similar dual modes or real hands, I don't know if anything came off that or not.

We also have yet to see what the real world benefits of the new SoC will be.

I like that someone is trying something new. What I wonder is how much of this is custom and how well WearOS it's setup for something like this. From the video it looks as if the step tracker and HR monitor still work in "dumb" mode, I'm curious on how that's interacting with the base OS at that point. Do we have to worry about future Wear support due to the integration point?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I'm confused as to why an android watch couldn't achieve a week long or greater battery life if you keep GPS/Wifi/LTE off and have the screen automatically shut off after you look at it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

I'm confused as to why an android watch couldn't achieve a week long or greater battery life if you keep GPS/Wifi/LTE off and have the screen automatically shut off after you look at it.

Probably blame the same ole lovely chipset every Android wear watch has to use because theres nothing else.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

bull3964 posted:

Hey, a new wear device. This is a dual display device falling back to a low power FSTN display when not interacting with the device.

GPS, NFC, IP68, Heart Rate Monitor.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/07/10/mobvois-ticwatch-pro-now-official-with-layered-display-and-30-day-battery-life/

It also has a mode to conserve battery where you basically shutdown most of the functionality and use only the FSTN display, it can last up to 30 days in that mode. They say two days with the normal "Smart" mode that switches between them. Still SD 2100.
$249.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYJvqPVhXOQ

So it's a smartwatch that becomes a kind of lovely fitness tracker for a couple of days when you are out in the wilderness in a luxury cottage because you want to "disconnect" or something and don't feel like packing a small charger and then you get home it already has a dead battery?

I guess I'm not sure what they say they are solving with this unless you were like wanting to show off your Tag Heuer Connected while you "disconnected".

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Three Olives posted:

So it's a smartwatch that becomes a kind of lovely fitness tracker for a couple of days when you are out in the wilderness in a luxury cottage because you want to "disconnect" or something and don't feel like packing a small charger and then you get home it already has a dead battery?

I guess I'm not sure what they say they are solving with this unless you were like wanting to show off your Tag Heuer Connected while you "disconnected".

The way I see it, a normal smartwatch is good for a day, maybe two if you're lucky. This one is guaranteed to keep working as a basic watch and maintain minimal fitness tracking functionality for the better part of a week even if you forget your charger.

I've had my HWatch for two and a half years at this point and I've run it flat dead about a dozen times, once literally going in to a weekend where I apparently misaligned it on the charger on Thursday night then forgot to pack it for the weekend. If I had this, I'd have always at least had a working watch if not full Android Wear functionality the whole time.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
People in this thread probably already know this, but if you have a Android Wear 2.0 watch that is laggy and slow, you can get a lot of performance gains from shutting off the "OK google" detection. It's under settings -> personalization.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

People in this thread probably already know this, but if you have a Android Wear 2.0 watch that is laggy and slow, you can get a lot of performance gains from shutting off the "OK google" detection. It's under settings -> personalization.

I thought that used to be true but they finally fixed it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

This is definitely not true on the AW watches I've used, it's still laggy and slow after that. We desperately need a new SoC.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Turning it off on my Huawei Watch 2 made a huge difference. With Hey Google turned on, when I get a phone call the watch would vibrate and play a ringtone, but the call would have gone to voicemail before the watch ever displayed who the caller was or the answer/reject controls.

With hey google turned off, it shows everything in about 3 seconds.

I notice a huge difference in loading the app list or starting android pay too. Not like placebo differences, like several measurable seconds difference.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've never had it turned on on my Moto 360/2 and that thing is the definition of slow and laggy.l

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

I've never had it turned on on my Moto 360/2 and that thing is the definition of slow and laggy.l

Yeah my 360/2 is borderline unusable for anything other than notifications these days. Usually about once every 2 weeks or so it'll just completely freeze up and I'll have to force restart it via button combo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah my 360/2 is borderline unusable for anything other than notifications these days. Usually about once every 2 weeks or so it'll just completely freeze up and I'll have to force restart it via button combo.

My favorite interaction is one I use every day: I use Authenticator+ on it to log in at work and every time I launch it, it flashes and returns to the app drawer. Tapping it again works. If I restart it might launch on the first tap once but that's it, every other time it's two taps.

It does what I need it to, which is show me the time and notifications and run Authenticator+ and Our Groceries but that's the extent of it. It doesn't do those things well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I can only assume Google puts minimal resources towards Wear because it doesn't have a chipset (yet) worth a poo poo so why put a lot of resources into it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I can only assume Google puts minimal resources towards Wear because it doesn't have a chipset (yet) worth a poo poo so why put a lot of resources into it.

Let's be real, the Wear 3100 is on the same, outdated 28nm process as the 2100 and has the same ARM Cortex-A7 architecture and has the same Adreno 304 GPU. It is also going to suck.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Let's be real, the Wear 3100 is on the same, outdated 28nm process as the 2100 and has the same ARM Cortex-A7 architecture and has the same Adreno 304 GPU. It is also going to suck.

Well... it's true that the rumor sites reported about a new Qualcomm smartwatch SoC built on 28nm, with Quad ARM Cortex A7 cores and Adreno 304 GPU. However it's also true that Qualcomm officially announced the Snapdragon Wear 2500 chipset with those specs, and said it's actually targeted at kids watches.

quote:

Theres one other interesting quirk to the Wear 2500 chip: it isnt designed to support Wear OS, Googles smartwatch platform. Instead, its meant to be paired with a custom version of Android that Qualcomm has built for kids watches. Its called Android for Kids, and it sounds like it wont support notifications or an app store; instead, manufacturers will preload it with the apps and games that they think kids and parents will want.

Now it's certainly possible that Qualcomm will announce the Snapdragon Wear 3100 will also have the same specs, but I'm still holding out a tiny portion of hope for something better.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

Now it's certainly possible that Qualcomm will announce the Snapdragon Wear 3100 will also have the same specs, but I'm still holding out a tiny portion of hope for something better.

I'm sure this monopolistic entity won't abuse such a position and spend the absolute barest minimum of expense in this effort to grow the 100% of the market they already have.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I'm sure this monopolistic entity won't abuse such a position and spend the absolute barest minimum of expense in this effort to grow the 100% of the market they already have.

I guess its arguable what the correct reference class for "market" is, but they don't have the Apple Watch market and I can only assume they'd rather grow Wear rather than watch it shrink.

(I'm not really arguing what the 3100 will have, I'm just not sure where their head is at)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Given that Qualcomm hasn't released a new wearable chipset since early 2016 it's pretty obvious that Qualcomm doesn't care about Wear's growth either way. They are the only provider of chipsets for Wear and while I'm sure it'd be great if they were in more demand, it's all gravy to them and certainly not worth investing earth dollars into. It's difficult for me to imagine that you "don't know where their head is at" when we have the history of capitalism and many instances of monopolistic behavior all pointing to Qualcomm working as hard as possible to not spend money on a niche that has no hope of being profitable.

When it comes to competing with Apple, it's not really a competition in more ways that one. Firstly, it's not like anyone can use Apple SoCs, so while the phones themselves compete, in the SoC market Qualcomm's competitors are MediaTek, Samsung, Broadcom, Intel and a couple other really minor players like Rockchip. Qualcomm beats these guys not by making a better design but by owning a shitload of modem patents. Anyone who bought an LG or a Nexus 5x can attest to just how great their chip design is.

Secondly, it's not like Qualcomm is actually on the same level as Apple whose designs are generations ahead of reference ARM chipsets. The Apple Watch is running on modern hardware that is much, much more powerful and power efficient than the equivalent Qualcomm offering and this is not an equivalent offering, it's one many years out of date. Even if the 3100 is modern, and we've seen no indication it will be, it would still be far behind what Apple is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Given that Qualcomm hasn't released a new wearable chipset since early 2016 it's pretty obvious that Qualcomm doesn't care about Wear's growth either way. They are the only provider of chipsets for Wear

Some of them run Intel chips, though it's true Intel seems to be in a big of a tailspin lately and walking away from wearables.

Also if the rumors pan out and Samsung comes back to the fold, they'll presumably bring their Exynos SoC's.