Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

You know, ExtraNoise, given the amount of response from goons in this thread now that you've posted this mod concept you will be expected to follow through once Imperator comes out. We will be watching. :colbert:

I think the response is very encouraging! I've really enjoyed all the discussion that's happened so far and am glad a consensus seems to have formed understanding the mood and tone of a post-apocalyptic setting that's not super sci-fi or supernatural. I feel like I'm on the right road and am eager to develop the universe so that it feels alive, even when most of the world is dead.

Regarding the Abrams: I think it's important to draw a line in the sand on realism versus fun. Composites will be a pretty rare resource, and tanks themselves are not a be-all-end-all fighting unit. Realistically, it's very unlikely a bunch of rabble could get one working (or keep one working) but there's also an opportunity there to let the player do something really loving cool ("I've got a tank!") that I wouldn't want to pass up. I think at the end of the day, my goal is to make sure the player knows how rare a tank is and how difficult it was for their people to get one running using descriptions/flavor text, but not keep that from them.

Edit: Top of the page! I just noticed the new I:R dev diary is up (two minutes old) so here it is hot off the press:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-8-16th-of-july-2018.1110794/

Edit 2: Can't help but wonder if Johan included the entire trade goods list just for me. Maybe not. Either way, thanks Johan! :)

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ExtraNoise posted:

I think the response is very encouraging! I've really enjoyed all the discussion that's happened so far and am glad a consensus seems to have formed understanding the mood and tone of a post-apocalyptic setting that's not super sci-fi or supernatural. I feel like I'm on the right road and am eager to develop the universe so that it feels alive, even when most of the world is dead.

Regarding the Abrams: I think it's important to draw a line in the sand on realism versus fun. Composites will be a pretty rare resource, and tanks themselves are not a be-all-end-all fighting unit. Realistically, it's very unlikely a bunch of rabble could get one working (or keep one working) but there's also an opportunity there to let the player do something really loving cool ("I've got a tank!") that I wouldn't want to pass up. I think at the end of the day, my goal is to make sure the player knows how rare a tank is and how difficult it was for their people to get one running using descriptions/flavor text, but not keep that from them.
The issue with realism is more an issue of narrative/setting coherence I think, for me at least. It kinda feels like something that undermines the setting itself, making the world seem much less affected by whatever poo poo caused North America to be an interesting setting for the mechanics of I:R to play out in in the first place.

That said, I also think it's entirely "fixable" without undermining the idea of having a huge tank in a setting where horses are battlefield equipment. I mean, the things that would be the hardest to maintain are probably also the things that are the least useful in a more primitive setting, various sensors and counter-measures - while "Big shooty mobile thing we can't hurt" can be maintained with more primitive tools. Think technical, but with a tank/APC base, rather than a truck base. Speaking of, if some areas are maintaining tanks, I assume significantly more can maintain trucks to create technicals of various types?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Efb

Here’s the list for the lazy

quote:

Grain, Salt, Iron, Horses, Wine, Wood, Amber, Stone, Fish, Spices, Elephants, Base Metals, Precious Metals, Steppe Horses, Livestock, Earthenware, Dyes, Furs, Olives, Leather, Woad, Marble, Honey, Incense, Hemp, Vegetables, Gemstones, Camels, Glass, Silk, Dates, Cloth, Papyrus, Wild Game

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Should have Mad Max battle wagons instead of tanks, imo

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Tanks are cool. Hell, go full on Battletanx with your setting.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah I'd definitely err on the side of cool over realism.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
That's my design mantra.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

Tanks are cool. Hell, go full on Battletanx with your setting.

Cooler than some mad, rusty hedgehog of a VW Type 2, trundling into battle with a cargo of spear-throwing war boys? I think not.

Honestly, of all the options for "post-apocalyptic fighting vehicle", "just a tank" is the lamest. :colbert:

Groogy posted:

That's my design mantra.

Did you not get your red text claiming that it was perfectly cool and good for the best option in HOI to be 100% basic infantry?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

No I was explaining during HOI4 development why Da9L had infantry invading the USSR and had his tanks elsewhere. I pointed out there's a big swamp area in northern Poland that at the time would just kill any tanks upon entering it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Autonomous Monster posted:

Cooler than some mad, rusty hedgehog of a VW Type 2, trundling into battle with a cargo of spear-throwing war boys? I think not.

Honestly, of all the options for "post-apocalyptic fighting vehicle", "just a tank" is the lamest. :colbert:

I mean I think everyone's going to be envisioning it as a kitbashed war rig of some sort even if it's just called "M1 Abrams" or "Challenger 2"

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Hey I love Mad Max more than anybody but Mad Max rip-offs are feeling a little overdone and boring at the moment. Tanks on the other hand don't feel like they show up in post-apocalyptic setting too often.

And clearly someone never played Battletanx because it shows that post-apocalyptic tanks definitely aren't "just a tank." :colbert:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Surely part of the idea of a post-apocalyptic setting (as opposed to post-post-apocalyptic) is the loss of a bit of know-how and industrial finesse, right? At least, some heaving machine more akin to a British Mark IV than a modern American Abrams would probably fit better- even if there's still got the idea of a tank and enough knowledge to get engines built and running, the ability to construct or refurbish anything close to modern refined levels has surely got to be much reduced. The relatively cruder parts of an earlier sort of tank would be easier to produce, and you could probably more easily cannibalize parts from a wider variety of vehicles to get some lumbering top-speed-of-4-mph behemoth running than a properly modern machine.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ofaloaf posted:

Surely part of the idea of a post-apocalyptic setting (as opposed to post-post-apocalyptic) is the loss of a bit of know-how and industrial finesse, right? At least, some heaving machine more akin to a British Mark IV than a modern American Abrams would probably fit better- even if there's still got the idea of a tank and enough knowledge to get engines built and running, the ability to construct or refurbish anything close to modern refined levels has surely got to be much reduced. The relatively cruder parts of an earlier sort of tank would be easier to produce, and you could probably more easily cannibalize parts from a wider variety of vehicles to get some lumbering top-speed-of-4-mph behemoth running than a properly modern machine.

I just realized that I have been mentally reading your name wrong this entire time, and it is not, in fact "Olafolaf". :v:
EDIT:

On topic, I think the trade good system sounds extremely elegant and fun, and I can see myself sinking a lot of time into tweaking and minmaxing my import routes and trade goods to make the ultimate stacked-bonus super cities.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 16, 2018

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

I just realized that I have been mentally reading your name wrong this entire time, and it is not, in fact "Olafolaf". :v:

I've just always imagined him as being a loaf of bread that makes you go "oaf" from how stale it is.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Could a city with a surplus via trade then export some of that surplus to other places? I'm imagining something like Antioch taking the silk trade from the East and dispersing it from there, which could be cool and give you a reason to monopolize trade for a good to export and not just production, but that could be harder to implement than I'm considering.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Speaking of, if some areas are maintaining tanks, I assume significantly more can maintain trucks to create technicals of various types?

Absolutely. Right now I have Technicals slotted in to replace Light Cavalry, making them the go-to backbone for early game armies. Technicals are going to play a HUGE part in the mod.

Ofaloaf posted:

This is basically how I'm imagining things. It's running and it can shoot, but it's not running or shooting great.

In my mind, the setting is somewhere between (not quite) Mad Max and (not quite) The Last of Us (sans zombies, obviously). The southwest will probably feel a little more Mad Max-y, but not with dudes playing guitars on the front of enormous trucks or anything.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ExtraNoise posted:

The southwest will probably feel a little more Mad Max-y, but not with dudes playing guitars on the front of enormous trucks or anything.

this strikes me as more of a florida man move than a southwestern one

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Agean90 posted:

this strikes me as more of a florida man move than a southwestern one

You try driving around in a flaming sports car when marshes have reclaimed 90% of the state

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

You try driving around in a flaming sports car when marshes have reclaimed 90% of the state

the doofwagon but it's a giant airboat

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Agean90 posted:

the doofwagon but it's a giant airboat

https://i.imgur.com/8erai0Y.mp4

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

ExtraNoise posted:

Really appreciated all the input with this and tried to apply everything without adding too many new cultures: Here's the "final" cultures map:

Thoughts?

Oh, hey, thanks for Central Californian. It usually gets ignored (because really, San Francisco, LA, and San Diego do dominate the state both politically and in population), but it's nice to see it in there.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Talking about Rome and cultures, apparently there's 30 in the game so far.

In the Hellenic group.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Talking about Rome and cultures, apparently there's 30 in the game so far.

In the Hellenic group.

loving hell, really? Is there a link to something I missed?

That is amazing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

ExtraNoise posted:

loving hell, really? Is there a link to something I missed?

That is amazing.

Here. I am extremely ready to have irreconcilable cultural differences with the tribe one valley over.

That's not sarcasm, for the terminally online.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Hellenic world was at its height at this point in time, so these might actually cover a large area.

e: huh, I didn't realize there was a distinction between Hellenistic and Hellenic.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Phlegmish posted:

The Hellenic world was at its height at this point in time, so these might actually cover a large area.

e: huh, I didn't realize there was a distinction between Hellenistic and Hellenic.

You were right either way :v:

But yeah there's Greeks scattered all around the Mediterranean as well as mainland Greece, Anatolia and settlements across the Diadochi. Tons of room for lots of cultures.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Greek culture will very likely be the largest culture in the game, spreading from Emporion to Bactria, so 30 subcultures shouldn't speak to the level of detail throughout. I would be truly shocked if there were more than 3 or 4 Gallic subcultures, for instance.

Now watch me be wrong and come to find out there's 30 Gallic subcultures.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Throw Macedonian into the Hellenic cultures. Watch the fires.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

The Roman Pantheon is also a cheap immitation of the Greek one, so might as well throw them in.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Just to be clear the name of the culture group is "Greek" not Hellenic.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

Throw it into the proto-Slavic group if you want to start a real life war.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's so funny that video game mechanism bookkeeping minutiae are serious internet nationalism business in tyool 2018

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

OperaMouse posted:

The Roman Pantheon is also a cheap immitation of the Greek one, so might as well throw them in.

Oh, they did. The religions, at least. There's a thread complaining about that, too. :toot:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Funky Valentine posted:

It definitely is, it would be crazy from a game mechanics perspective otherwise.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ExtraNoise posted:

This is basically how I'm imagining things. It's running and it can shoot, but it's not running or shooting great.

In my mind, the setting is somewhere between (not quite) Mad Max and (not quite) The Last of Us (sans zombies, obviously). The southwest will probably feel a little more Mad Max-y, but not with dudes playing guitars on the front of enormous trucks or anything.

If you've got any interest in reading about the practicalities of a post-apocalyptic world, I'd recommend The Knowledge by Lewis Dartnell as a really interesting book on the topic. It's a sort of pop-science book that goes through the basics of what you'd need to restart society--basic chemistry and metallurgy, medicine and electricity.

There's an interesting notion in the book that different fields are differently replicable by a post-apocalyptic society, some technologies are basically just knowing a reliable process that any society could replicate, while others rely on globalised trade networks and infrastructure it makes no sense to rebuild. So a post-apocalyptic society could easily look like a weird mishmash of medieval, industrial and modern technologies, because building, for example, modern houses is way easier than building modern ships.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Oh, they did. The religions, at least. There's a thread complaining about that, too. :toot:

In Eu4 the African Fetishist religion gives you a list of deities with different bonuses and you choose to worship one, and as you encounter more regions of Africa and other religions from outside the continent, more gods get added to your list as you just adopt them as part of the pantheon. I could see something similar being a good mechanical fit for the Roman religion in I:R. It could probably slot into the character system too and have characters choosing their own personal patron deities, which might be another interesting mechanic.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Reveilled posted:

If you've got any interest in reading about the practicalities of a post-apocalyptic world, I'd recommend The Knowledge by Lewis Dartnell as a really interesting book on the topic. It's a sort of pop-science book that goes through the basics of what you'd need to restart society--basic chemistry and metallurgy, medicine and electricity.

There's an interesting notion in the book that different fields are differently replicable by a post-apocalyptic society, some technologies are basically just knowing a reliable process that any society could replicate, while others rely on globalised trade networks and infrastructure it makes no sense to rebuild. So a post-apocalyptic society could easily look like a weird mishmash of medieval, industrial and modern technologies, because building, for example, modern houses is way easier than building modern ships.
My favorite example of this was figuring longitude at sea, which you can do only if you know the time. Turns out it's way easier to get basic radios back up than it is to make mechanical clocks good enough for sea travel, so at some point in the redevelopment of civilization you'd have sailing ships with copper wires around their mast and radio receivers and stations on the coast broadcasting a beep every hour or something like that. It's only because radio is so loving weird that people in our history didn't figure it out until after they'd made insanely good clocks and solved the issue that way.

Electricity in general is easier than a lot of advanced industry or machining if you know how it works. A redeveloping civilization that had all the memories of our technology could have electric lights at an otherwise medieval level.

The Knowledge is a very fun book if you're at all into this kind of stuff.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess electricity is one of those things where people only discovered it so late because they had flawed conceptual ideas of how the world worked? Like how there was a belief that light flowed through some invisible medium called “aether” or heat was a liquid that passed from hot to cold things.

I guess also a lot of history people had more of an engineering than scientific approach to things - Roman civilization had a lot of advanced mechanical and architectural innovations but they never did “science” for its own sake so they could only ever see technological progress as “finding ways to solve problems” rather than expanding their understanding of the universe.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I guess electricity is one of those things where people only discovered it so late because they had flawed conceptual ideas of how the world worked? Like how there was a belief that light flowed through some invisible medium called “aether” or heat was a liquid that passed from hot to cold things.

People discovered electricity(specifically, static electricity) millenia ago. Problem is that in order to have a useful electric system you need to have all the parts the same time: a generator, a transfer medium or a battery and either a lightbulb or an electric motor. None of those things do anything on their own, and to figure all this out you also need to discover a lot of circuit theory. I don't think electricity was late, it just needed a lot of advances in natural sciences before we were able to take full advantage of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The best part of those old wrong theories is that they're rarely totally wrong, because even incorrect models can be correct enough to give out good enough answers for their intended purposes. They're wrong, sure, but there's varying degrees of wrong.