Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Idk what it is but I just do not like the art style of danganronpa. Like, it's not that I think it's bad or anything, but idk... I just don't like it

the character design is really fugly and excessive but I think by the third game I liked the look of the entire cast instead of only like, 3 out of 16. Monokuma is cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i wish this was going to amount to anything

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/16/brave-fencer-musashi-got-a-special-20th-anniversary-video-from-square-enix/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay I finished KH1 proud, died a bunch to Ansem's second form since I sucked at dodging literally everything in it but other than that wasn't too bad.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I don't like DanganRonpa. I like mysteries, but the mystery part of it didn't do anything for me. And I can enjoy a good death game, as long as its not overly cynical, but DanganRonpa did felt, overly cynical (I mean Battle Royale itself was pretty cynical but, I dunno, it cynicism felt much more political?) And then the stuff with Chihiro kinda stuck around and left a bad taste in my mouth so I don't think I ever got past either the 3rd or 4th case? Also I just couldn't really get into any of the characters.

I dunno, I just never really god what other's were seeing in that game. Maybe I didn't gave it a fair enough shake, because I have a lot of people whose opinion I respect on things who are really into it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the first game seemed cool and novel, as I'd never heard of the death game genre, but because the guy LPing it was translating as he played, there was enough time between updates for goons to successfully predict every single twist and that kinda soured the experience

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's fairly obvious while playing the games too, unless the twist is so silly as to be unsatisfying

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well actually. That's the reason I play games like this tbh. Because they seem to give very little poo poo about classical narrative structure/expectations after like hour 20 and poo poo goes off the rails in a fun way.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Was DanganRonpa the game that Slowbeef translated as he played many years ago in the LP sub-forum which caused an influx of new members to register just for it and subsequently a ton of embarrassingly bad posts, probations and bans?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Snooze Cruise posted:

I don't like DanganRonpa. I like mysteries, but the mystery part of it didn't do anything for me. And I can enjoy a good death game, as long as its not overly cynical, but DanganRonpa did felt, overly cynical (I mean Battle Royale itself was pretty cynical but, I dunno, it cynicism felt much more political?) And then the stuff with Chihiro kinda stuck around and left a bad taste in my mouth so I don't think I ever got past either the 3rd or 4th case? Also I just couldn't really get into any of the characters.

I dunno, I just never really god what other's were seeing in that game. Maybe I didn't gave it a fair enough shake, because I have a lot of people whose opinion I respect on things who are really into it.
Dangan Ronpa is just really bad, its not just you.

GUI posted:

Was DanganRonpa the game that Slowbeef translated as he played many years ago in the LP sub-forum which caused an influx of new members to register just for it and subsequently a ton of embarrassingly bad posts, probations and bans?
It wasn't Slowbeef, it was orenronen, but yes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah. It basically rejuvenated the forums iirc, for a little while. It was the only place on the internet to find an English version of the game, and the community it spawned eventually encouraged the official western releases. Pretty cool

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what’s the greatest twist in gaming........ i didn’t actually see “V has come to” coming but all the clues are obvious a second time around

also a recent one for persona 5: real igor and real igor voice :swoon:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Accordion Man posted:

Dangan Ronpa is just really bad, its not just you.

That was my hunch, I just can never be sure of my taste anymore because everyone in the world calls me crazy for loving Prometheus.

Oh there was kinda one thing I enjoy from that game I guess. Vitrue's Last Reward pretty much had the same exact trick as one of the cases in that game. And then I remember the creators were suppose to be friends so I guess they planned that or something. I guess that is kinda neat.

I guess.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

oddium posted:

what’s the greatest twist in gaming

The true identity of Arkham Knight

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I probably would've been more into Danganronpa if it had not followed Umineko getting translated for the first time, which by orders of magnitude is the superior murder mystery. Reaching further back, I'd also easily take the Ace Attorney cast and corresponding trials as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

what’s the greatest twist in gaming........ i didn’t actually see “V has come to” coming but all the clues are obvious a second time around

Hmmm I guess most memorable for me is the Nier (old Nier) second route stuff. Its less a singular twist and more a manic unspooling of the world though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I figured out the mgsv twist because it's not a twist they just tell you what's happening in the first five minutes but I guess nobody notices that for some reason.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they tell you in the dang trailer for the game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I enjoyed watching the beginning of the Giant Bomb playthrough of MGSV where Dan was building up the idea that there was a super big secret and Drew just immediately guessed it offhand in the first 5 minutes of the game

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

oddium posted:

what’s the greatest twist in gaming

big whoop

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

I probably would've been more into Danganronpa if it had not followed Umineko getting translated for the first time, which by orders of magnitude is the superior murder mystery. Reaching further back, I'd also easily take the Ace Attorney cast and corresponding trials as well.

Umineko starts solid but has a really really terrible ending and is way too far up its own rear end in general.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

Ever 17 has a good twist

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

cheetah7071 posted:

Umineko starts solid but has a really really terrible ending and is way too far up its own rear end in general.
I needed some time to stew on Umineko's ending but I think it's pretty much perfect these days, especially for the type of story they were going for. And if we're talking bad VN murder mystery endings, well DR is pretty lol (the first two, no clue about 3's apparently infamous one).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like Umineko but I could do with a big deal less of the born again christian stuff lmao

A lot of the ending works for me, but at the same time its feels like its tied together by a bunch of disjointed knots. But stuff like the stage play and the puzzles with with your family really make me forgive like what should have been edited a bit more tighter because man, its some really really good stuff.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

oddium posted:

what’s the greatest twist in gaming........

when you find out aeris is still alive and well

Serious response: BioShock's mind control reveal was pretty good.

Braid did the whole "you were the bad guy all along" thing, which is a little contrived, but they presented it in a pretty cool way.

If you ask for the biggest you'll probably get the same answers, but here's another question: what is everyone's favorite twist?

Mine is very minor but I really liked when they revealed that Edgar used a trick coin to allow Sabin to live free and relieved of the burden of ruling a kingdom.

(spoilered because there's at least one person in this thread who hadn't played FF6, which they absolutely should do)

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I had a great time with the build up and then finally meeting Dr. Polito in System Shock 2.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

oddium posted:

One of my personal favorites is in Planescape, that both Morte and Dak'kon have been both lying to you the whole time and that they both know who you are. Learning what the Practical Incarnation did to Dak'kon especially came as a gut punch after finishing Dak'kon's sidequest.

cheetah7071 posted:

Umineko should have stayed as an Agatha Christie story where a smug, classy witch trolls a bunch of rich assholes like in the very beginning, but then it gets a terminal case of anime poisoning and never recovers.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Can't believe this japanese visual novel was like an anime, who could have predict,

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Umineko's problems are more beating you over the head than anything really relating to anime I think.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

BexGu posted:

I had a great time with the build up and then finally meeting Dr. Polito in System Shock 2.

Yes. Though this substantially lowered my enjoyment of Bioshock's identical twist.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

Can't believe this japanese visual novel was like an anime, who could have predict,
There are degrees of anime and Umineko goes in pretty hard with bunny girl demons and the like in which is supposed to be a serious murder mystery pretty quick.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

I needed some time to stew on Umineko's ending but I think it's pretty much perfect these days, especially for the type of story they were going for. And if we're talking bad VN murder mystery endings, well DR is pretty lol (the first two, no clue about 3's apparently infamous one).

V3's thesis is that danganronpa is bad and dumb and should never have been made and should never get another sequel

Meanwhile Umineko plays up having a solvable mystery and repeatedly tells you that the correct way to engage with the work is to try to solve it. Then the mystery is wildly unsolvable until they just tell you (it's guessable but there's no way to reject a dozen other theories) and the thesis (or one thesis at least) of the final episode is that you're ghoulish for gaining enjoyment out of a tragic situation by trying to solve the mystery. The back half of Umineko really pissed me off, and it doesn't help that Ange is the most boring character on the face of the planet and she starts showing up right when it becomes clear that the story is going downhill

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 16, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Bioshock one is the best one for me, although I do have a soft spot for Tidus is a dream from FFX. But that's mostly cause it's quite easy to take the piss out of it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I can't think of many twists in games I really liked much because they never come across as being all that clever or interesting. I guess I like James and his wife in SH2 so that'd be my favorite?

Btw if you wanna do detective stuff in a videogame the best is Sherlock Crimes and Punishments, maybe the best mystery investigation game ever made

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I take a small tiny dose of anime everyday in case the assassin's sent by my brother attempt to kill me by anime poisoning. I already found cds in my disc drive burned with the Utena OP that I do not ever remember creating.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Btw if you wanna do detective stuff in a videogame the best is Sherlock Crimes and Punishments, maybe the best mystery investigation game ever made
This. Her Story and Contradiction are also really good, but C&P really nails how to do a really good traditional detective game and its a shame no one has taken inspiration from it. :smith:

Snooze Cruise posted:

I take a small tiny dose of anime everyday in case the assassin's sent by my brother attempt to kill me by anime poisoning. I already found cds in my disc drive burned with the Utena OP that I do not ever remember creating.
The battle of wits with Vizzini except he dies from watching Love Live.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 16, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The biggest twist in gaming is starting up assassin's creed for the first time and finding out what you saw in promotional material was all a relatively minor dream/flashback in a convoluted overarching plot set in the present day

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I also love LA Noire but I realize that's a controversial (yet correct) opinion

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

cheetah7071 posted:

Bunch of Umineko spoilers
Add spoiler tags. You obviously know how that works since you're using them for the DR part.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

I also love LA Noire but I realize that's a controversial (yet correct) opinion
I feel LA Noire would have been better if it came out nowadays (2K's insistence on online multiplayer aside) because I get the feeling that it wouldn't be forced to have shooting segments and would be allowed to just be a straight adventure game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
All this Umineko discussion reminds me that an extra episode got announced for this winter, along with the next When They Cry game. Dunno if that's been mentioned yet.

https://gematsu.com/2018/07/new-naku-koro-ni-title-and-umineko-no-naku-koro-ni-saku-announced

• Locked thread