Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Isn't Nintendo sitting on whatever rights are needed to make sanoty effects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hahaha bizarre

17 freaking years. It's always nice there are little surprises in old games still being found

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Yeah I am pretty sure the sanity effects are copyrighted

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Yeah I am pretty sure the sanity effects are copyrighted

Patented, technically, though I think the patent would have expired by now, or will be expiring soon. So maybe we'll actually see some new games using it in the next couple of years.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I just searched and it's 17 years from issue date (2005) so we have some time to go still.

I hate these sort of copyright on general gameplay mechanics sigh.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Meallan posted:

I hate these sort of copyright on general gameplay mechanics sigh.

They're a crock of poo poo for a chunk of reasons too, on top of just being frustrating and eye rolling.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

exploded mummy posted:

As the series has gone on, it's more Lovecraftian than anything as it pulls back what the judeo Christian framing is

at this point we have like fits of madness caused by possession, the breaking down of reality and the unconscious world, ancient alien gods that take on a form recognizable to us, and also an ancient god that keeps reincarnating into people and taking over their memories and personalities everytime it dies

the most recent game doesnt even have Judeo Christian framing, it's set before the birth of Jesus.

its somewhat lovecraftian since its basically "primitive" man playing with super tech that to them seems like magic. both sides seem to slowly have better grasp on what the stuff is the farther in the timeline you go and science/technology becomes more and more of a thing.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

A real shame with Eternal Darkness is the sanity effects that rely on having an old CRT aren't as effective anymore. They got me good the first time.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Come to us Pious...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The patent is almost impossible to enforce unlike other (now expired) patents like Crazy Taxi's arrow and Namco's arcade game loading screens.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DrSnakeLaser posted:

A real shame with Eternal Darkness is the sanity effects that rely on having an old CRT aren't as effective anymore. They got me good the first time.

Or the Old rear end BSOD.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

its not exactly a horror game, but is anyone picking up we happy few? I have a copy because i backed in originally and i like the changes they have made. originally it was supposed to be a rogue like but now thats optional and its more focused on a semi random generated open world with three storylines.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its not exactly a horror game, but is anyone picking up we happy few? I have a copy because i backed in originally and i like the changes they have made. originally it was supposed to be a rogue like but now thats optional and its more focused on a semi random generated open world with three storylines.

I haven't played much but it's gotten a surprisingly detailed story and quests now.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Buying into We Happy Few early and being able to watch it evolve has been a marvelous experience

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 16, 2018

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I followed that game a long time ago literally because of the art and short summary but have now no idea of what it's about. Can a goon do a sales pitch?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DrSnakeLaser posted:

That bathroom jumpscare is still one of the best in the business.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

That bathroom jumpscare is still one of the best in the business.

the one where you find your dead body in the bathtub? I loved that one. And the one where the statue on the second floor starts looking at where you go.

It's a shame i didn't play this when it came out. Or went in knowing zero. Since I did know that the game was famous for its sanity effects, it only made me jump and then chuckle "ah you got me there" but I wonder what it must have been playing through that game not knowing what the hell was happening.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Meallan posted:

I followed that game a long time ago literally because of the art and short summary but have now no idea of what it's about. Can a goon do a sales pitch?

nazis won ww2, people in this idyllic british island did something so bad that they all decided to take happy pills. you decide to stop taking happy pills. there is a very charismatic duck.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Meallan posted:

the one where you find your dead body in the bathtub? I loved that one. And the one where the statue on the second floor starts looking at where you go.

It's a shame i didn't play this when it came out. Or went in knowing zero. Since I did know that the game was famous for its sanity effects, it only made me jump and then chuckle "ah you got me there" but I wonder what it must have been playing through that game not knowing what the hell was happening.

I was 12. It was amazeballs

Meallan posted:

If you followed you know about as much as everyone else. The gameplay is what has been improved, the story from the full game has been under wraps.

Just in case though, you play three different people who refuse to keep taking the happy pills that keep the populace unaware of the miserable conditions of their war torn country.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 17, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Buying into We Happy Few early and being able to watch it evolve has been a marvelous experience

same. i can't wait for the soundtrack and i love the art design. i

chitoryu12 posted:

I haven't played much but it's gotten a surprisingly detailed story and quests now.

yeah, alot people were disappointed that it was going to be a rogue like so they decided to go for a system shock type deal instead.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 17, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really don't think sanity effects would play in the same way in tyol 2018

Games kind of need to do more or do less.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I liked the sanity effects in Trilby's Notes, they were strange and unnerving enough and they only happened in the real world that by the end of the game, I'd gotten comfortable with the bloody rusty alt world and preferred staying there over the possibility of walking into a room in the real world and every line of text being replaced with "it hurts"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blockhouse posted:

I really don't think sanity effects would play in the same way in tyol 2018

Games kind of need to do more or do less.

I think having a straight-up Sanity Meter could be seen as somewhat tasteless in today's environment and you'd have to be less video gamey in its presentation.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

FirstAidKite posted:

I liked the sanity effects in Trilby's Notes, they were strange and unnerving enough and they only happened in the real world that by the end of the game, I'd gotten comfortable with the bloody rusty alt world and preferred staying there over the possibility of walking into a room in the real world and every line of text being replaced with "it hurts"

I only experienced the series through the LP, but I still can't believe what a WILD loving turn that series went from "how is this a loving series" to ":stare:" in the span of a single game. God drat Trilby's Notes nailed everything it set out to do.

I'll still never be able to not laugh at the fact that sex was the real horror though :v:

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

al-azad posted:

Also continually getting mad at RE6. Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to not let the player shoot a body until it "spawns" as a zombie? At least Capcom makes exciting boss fights.

Whoever decided to move from qtes to playable cutscenes.

exquisite tea posted:

Assassin's Creed is one of the biggest video game franchises on earth and has that whole grand conspiracy spanning ages storyline to it, although that just makes me think how much more interesting it would be if it were all based on Lovecraftian mythos instead of Judeo-Christian artifacts. And then of course there's Bloodborne.

Exactly as interesting as people who like abrahamic religion find Assassin's Creed. Or less.

exploded mummy posted:

As the series has gone on, it's more Lovecraftian than anything as it pulls back what the judeo Christian framing is

at this point we have like fits of madness caused by possession, the breaking down of reality and the unconscious world, ancient alien gods that take on a form recognizable to us, and also an ancient god that keeps reincarnating into people and taking over their memories and personalities everytime it dies

the most recent game doesnt even have Judeo Christian framing, it's set before the birth of Jesus.

Most of the non UFOlogical stuff you mentioned is already in Abrahamic religions, other than the timely adopted idea of teleological technology being divine in and of itself.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's like the opposite of Hello Neighbor.

Now I need a drink.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, alot people were disipointed that it was going to be a rogue like so they decided to go for a system shock type deal instead.

The first previews of We Happy Few didn't make the game look like it was another lovely meter management survival sim (it was seriously terrible), so I was really stoked to try it out in Early Access when it hit Steam, egg on my face when I played it. Luckily I got a refund but I kinda want to give the story a try again (But I think they're aiming for a $60 price point so nope). I don't know why they thought going the rogue-like route was good when at the time the market was flooded and still is flooded with so many games who's main gameplay revolves around the tedium of keeping your hunger bar filled. The art style isn't that good to keep that awful gameplay loop interesting after 5 minutes.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

s.i.r.e. posted:

The first previews of We Happy Few didn't make the game look like it was another lovely meter management survival sim (it was seriously terrible), so I was really stoked to try it out in Early Access when it hit Steam, egg on my face when I played it. Luckily I got a refund but I kinda want to give the story a try again (But I think they're aiming for a $60 price point so nope). I don't know why they thought going the rogue-like route was good when at the time the market was flooded and still is flooded with so many games who's main gameplay revolves around the tedium of keeping your hunger bar filled. The art style isn't that good to keep that awful gameplay loop interesting after 5 minutes.

Its not like they lied about what it was going to be. As soon as I heard that it was going to be a procedurally generated rogue-like, I lost all interest in the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The game has been back and forth for so long that I don't remember when it actually became a survival game. The very first trailer was straight up a BioShock trailer but it wasn't until closed beta footage started to leak that anybody even knew what the game was going to be about. Almost immediately at E3 whatever year that was they showed off story gameplay like they were saving face.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Survival crafting is the worst new genre

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Heard good things about the forest.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

Heard good things about the forest.

The Forest also improved when it got a full story that you can now complete instead of just building and fighting endlessly until death.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The bigger problem with We Happy Few besides the nagging needs that they thankfully put in game options to circumvent if you want to, is that I'm not sure how well they've provided means into actually addressing and fixing said needs in the game. Like I probably messed with one of the first backer streams when I commented about "Well do you like combine chemicals into a gas bomb that can make a bunch of guards/people go berserk and be a distraction for you" and some dev person in the stream honestly gave out a small "...poo poo". But that kind of character eventually became the general's daughter and is probably somewhere in the feature creep I've yet to find, so who knows what part I played in the escalating problem of expecting We Happy Few to push the boundaries of its Bioshock like sales pitch right into being a Gearbox TRIPLE A game. Like poo poo, thank god they actually put in coffee machines because like, goddamn, tiredness and thirst were solved by the English long loving ago even in the 1960s.

But there actually seems to be something of a story now and, more importantly, they made their own 60s style music to follow with the game's ascetic. Wolfenstein the New Order raised the bar on alternate history music and goddamn it would I be mad if the psychedelic dystopia didn't have their variation of the Beatles.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I remember the first trailer being very Bioshock meets The Prisoner, which put it firmly on my radar. Then as time went on, and I investigated a little, it seemed like it had now just become a randomly generated survival game, which didn't interest me in the slightest. Now the news that they do have a fixed storyline has interested me again, but put me at curious more than anything.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I remember the first trailer being very Bioshock meets The Prisoner, which put it firmly on my radar. Then as time went on, and I investigated a little, it seemed like it had now just become a randomly generated survival game, which didn't interest me in the slightest. Now the news that they do have a fixed storyline has interested me again, but put me at curious more than anything.

I already have a copy from being a backer so i don't have to worry. from what i have played its fine

Crabtree posted:

The bigger problem with We Happy Few besides the nagging needs that they thankfully put in game options to circumvent if you want to, is that I'm not sure how well they've provided means into actually addressing and fixing said needs in the game. Like I probably messed with one of the first backer streams when I commented about "Well do you like combine chemicals into a gas bomb that can make a bunch of guards/people go berserk and be a distraction for you" and some dev person in the stream honestly gave out a small "...poo poo". But that kind of character eventually became the general's daughter and is probably somewhere in the feature creep I've yet to find, so who knows what part I played in the escalating problem of expecting We Happy Few to push the boundaries of its Bioshock like sales pitch right into being a Gearbox TRIPLE A game. Like poo poo, thank god they actually put in coffee machines because like, goddamn, tiredness and thirst were solved by the English long loving ago even in the 1960s.

But there actually seems to be something of a story now and, more importantly, they made their own 60s style music to follow with the game's ascetic. Wolfenstein the New Order raised the bar on alternate history music and goddamn it would I be mad if the psychedelic dystopia didn't have their variation of the Beatles.

well apparently they decided to go full prey 2017 with it with big story with multiple characters and tons of crafting and options. the survival elements are there but they can be tweaked to only do positive poo poo or something because they felt like if they got rid of it completely they would ruin the narrative/immersion. from what i have played the writing and the humor is pretty decent/good. i am kinda curious what "the very bad thing" was i assume they killed their kids ala sophies choice or some poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well apparently they decided to go full prey 2017 with it with big story with multiple characters and tons of crafting and options. the survival elements are there but they can be tweaked to only do positive poo poo or something because they felt like if they got rid of it completely they would ruin the narrative/immersion. from what i have played the writing and the humor is pretty decent/good. i am kinda curious what "the very bad thing" was i assume they killed their kids ala sophies choice or some poo poo.

I can't recall if they've allowed you to disable survival mechanics yet. I know you can disable permadeath so you just wake up at your safehouse if you run out of health.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

One big problem with We Happy Few is they didn't illustrate what they were actually shooting for at different times very well. The trailers all look very Bioshock, the initial bit of story plays into this really heavily too, then it spits you out into a real crummy survival sim with side quests that have finnicky triggers, AI that's all over the place and just dead ends on story or worldbuilding. They then rewind this a bunch in later patches, redo more of a chunk of the intro and fix some things, but it's still feeling like a really disappointing survival sim after they spit you out of that first part. However all the while if you read around a bit, they've said the game will have an actual structured story in the full release, but not until then. Later when more money came in it's reiterated that it'll actually be the same, a full done up story mode type playthrough, but with three separate characters that'll have different deals to their stories and stuff now. They do have a really cool game on their hands, but they've given the worst first, second etc. impressions a bunch of times over.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

One big problem with We Happy Few is they didn't illustrate what they were actually shooting for at different times very well. The trailers all look very Bioshock, the initial bit of story plays into this really heavily too, then it spits you out into a real crummy survival sim with side quests that have finnicky triggers, AI that's all over the place and just dead ends on story or worldbuilding. They then rewind this a bunch in later patches, redo more of a chunk of the intro and fix some things, but it's still feeling like a really disappointing survival sim after they spit you out of that first part. However all the while if you read around a bit, they've said the game will have an actual structured story in the full release, but not until then. Later when more money came in it's reiterated that it'll actually be the same, a full done up story mode type playthrough, but with three separate characters that'll have different deals to their stories and stuff now. They do have a really cool game on their hands, but they've given the worst first, second etc. impressions a bunch of times over.

Right now you can definitely follow a story, it's just not finished. When you get spit out into the first district, you're given quests with a pretty clear motivation to get you into subsequent districts. I can't really fault them for their open alphas and betas having an unfinished story since that's the whole point of an early access game. I think Kona was the same on its first release.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

The Forest also improved when it got a full story that you can now complete instead of just building and fighting endlessly until death.

I don't know why so many crafting survival games are so, so bad at having an actual goal. Like, Rust is only (supposedly) fun because of other people, if you have a single player survival thing you need something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its not like they lied about what it was going to be. As soon as I heard that it was going to be a procedurally generated rogue-like, I lost all interest in the game.

I never heard anything about the game being a rogue-like and none of the trailers that came out for the game screamed "rogue-like survival." It looked like a Bioshock, story driven experience and really nothing else.

Quicksilver6 posted:

I don't know why so many crafting survival games are so, so bad at having an actual goal. Like, Rust is only (supposedly) fun because of other people, if you have a single player survival thing you need something else.

Because doing so would require imagination.