Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Zore posted:

Yeah, she really needs a subclass to function. Basically everyone else comes with something cool out of the box.

I mean, Alfyn can do the same thing for 4 SP. Its kind of nuts.

He only heals one person at a time for 4 doesn't he? The trade off is that his revive is 80% less than hers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
He can party heal with a concoct recipe

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Ophilia owns as a scholar

see:

Haha so she turns into Quistis. My only subclass right now is Scholar and I have it on Primrose though I might just put it on Ophelia for a while and rock Haanit/Therion/Tressa/Ophelia for the Tressa part.

I just did the theater troupe "need 2 actors" sidequest part and it's kind of cool how certain sidequests have entire arcs wherein people you save or help out show up many times. Not many rpgs bother to do that nowadays. I have a bad feeling about that circus, though.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Ophilia is totally fine once you give her a sub class. None of the characters seem weak or bad to me, but imho the feel of the game/combat changes a lot for the better once you get sub classes unlocked, everything about that system is really good

Also some of the people you can guide/seduce are hilariously good, either with throwing out party wide buffs, or doing multi hit attacks. I love it

e: also light has seemed like a fairly common weakness in ch. 2 content onwards, I'll agree it's weirdly absent in ch. 1 tho and makes ophilia feel worse than she is

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 16, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The only problem with the Guide system is I'm too lazy to check everyone in every town to see who's good so I just grab someone who seems decent when I'm ready to move on

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Though thinking about it, it is sort of strange that Ophilia and Primrose are the only 2 100% interchangeable characters in the game, with their path actions and talent being identical to each other's. I don't necessary mind this, because Summon is very powerful, but when every other character has a talent that differentiates them from their Noble/rogue counterpart it really stands out as unfortunate

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So what defenses can everyone hit by default?

H'annit has Axe/Bow/Lightning and Sword/Lance plus the rest with summons
Therion has Sword/Dagger/Fire
Alfyn has Axe/Ice plus everything with concoct
Primrose has Dagger/Dark +1 other thing at a time with summon
Olberic has Sword/Lance
Tressa has Bow/Lance/Wind +her hired mercs
Cyrus has Staves/Fire/Ice/Lightning
Ophelia has Staves/Light+1 other thing with summon

So for multiclassing;

H'annit and Alfyn really don't need to worry beyond getting whatever stat bonuses and secondary commands since they can hit everything by default anyways.
Conversely, Olberic really wants Hunter to round out his defense hitting capabilities.
Ophelia/Primrose/Cyrus all basically want to multiclass into one of the others.
Tressa and to a lesser extent Therion are the jack of all trades and can do really well with basically anything except Warrior.

Honestly the only person who seems like they'd ever want Warrior is H'annit and maybe Alfyn since its the least versatile base class with only 2 defenses it can hit and no other utility.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

someone awful. posted:

Though thinking about it, it is sort of strange that Ophilia and Primrose are the only 2 100% interchangeable characters in the game, with their path actions and talent being identical to each other's. I don't necessary mind this, because Summon is very powerful, but when every other character has a talent that differentiates them from their Noble/rogue counterpart it really stands out as unfortunate
Not like it's fair anyway.

I will never stop posting about how unfair it is that Tressa can collect small amounts of cash while Therion gets to open treasure chests with the best loot and steal items that Tressa can never buy, regardless of how much money she has.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

someone awful. posted:

It evens out imo since their base jobs are so wildly different, not to mention how one is basically a nun while the other is the absolute opposite--which I assume was what they were going for when they made them have identical Talents. Either way, in the earlygame it doesn't exactly help to have both on the same team since you can only have one "5th member" in the party.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Your Computer posted:

Not like it's fair anyway.

I will never stop posting about how unfair it is that Tressa can collect small amounts of cash while Therion gets to open treasure chests with the best loot and steal items that Tressa can never buy, regardless of how much money she has.

H'annit is also hilariously better than Olberic at their role since she's only limited by the ludicrously powerful animal buddy system and he's locked to Swords/Lances until he gets a subclass.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I want to give H'annit another try because I think I was just using her wrong but I have no idea what to do with classes if I switch her in. Also I think I'd have to bring her in for Olberic and Olberic is cool :(

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Well I mean Olberic's talent is straight up garbage, when are you ever going to waste bp on guarding? Save that poo poo up and hit people in the face for damage-cap-breaking numbers

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:doh:

How did I not think of that. Ah well, thanks!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
H'aanit is so much cooler than Olberic its hardly fair. Olberic needed some kind of of twist in his class, he's the most boring job mechanically although I suspect warrior will be very good in the endgame/post game since it allows you to break the damage limit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The first initials of the characters’ names spell Octopath.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

DLC Inc posted:

It evens out imo since their base jobs are so wildly different, not to mention how one is basically a nun while the other is the absolute opposite--which I assume was what they were going for when they made them have identical Talents. Either way, in the earlygame it doesn't exactly help to have both on the same team since you can only have one "5th member" in the party.

You can have a Guide and an Allure for up to 6 people at once.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

H'aanit is so much cooler than Olberic its hardly fair. Olberic needed some kind of of twist in his class, he's the most boring job mechanically although I suspect warrior will be very good in the endgame/post game since it allows you to break the damage limit.

Any class can equip sub-skills as long as you just have it learned. No need to stay as a warrior.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I made H'aanit a warrior and gave her the "heal after every action" accessory and she's just taunting everything, getting a lot of buffs and hitting everything like a truck

She and scholar Ophilia are basically carrying my team while Dancer Alfyn and Thief Tressa help them out with buffs and SP/BP.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

Only if you equip the skill which every character can also use. I gave Olberic Hunter and H’aanit Warrior so they are interchangeable for me. I prefer using Olberic for his path action because I don’t have to use up my precious summons.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
One thing I find pretty weird in this game is how unbalanced the enemy teams sometimes get. I've been in several fights now with 2-3 low level enemies that hit me for like 30 damage per turn and one beefy enemy that's higher level than me and can one-shot my characters, dealing over 1000 damage per turn (sometimes to the entire party).

It's like it's putting together enemy teams that average my level instead of enemies that are at my level :iiam:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

^burtle posted:

You can have a Guide and an Allure for up to 6 people at once.

poo poo, really? maybe I just had bad luck with npcs who couldn't be recruited, had no idea?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Andrast posted:

Any class can equip sub-skills as long as you just have it learned. No need to stay as a warrior.

Warrior is the most sensible secondary stat-bonus wise for H'aanit (2nd best physical attack... Hunter giving the best), and has a divine skill that's highly useful for her, too.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

When you have to formally apologize because your game is selling so well

https://twitter.com/OCTOPATH_PR/status/1018029575945637888?s=19

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Warrior is the most sensible secondary stat-bonus wise for H'aanit (2nd best physical attack... Hunter giving the best), and has a divine skill that's highly useful for her, too.

Looking at class balance they really probably should have given the lightning attack to Warrior instead of Hunter. Hunter is just outrageously better and has a more garbage M.attack anyways.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Harlock posted:

When you have to formally apologize because your game is selling so well

https://twitter.com/OCTOPATH_PR/status/1018029575945637888?s=19

It's so weird to me that Lawson's became a thing in Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7r6A6YQdtI

How does the truck even drive there from Florida?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Restarted the game because I made the mistake of not going with Tressa :cripes:

Going Tressa, Haanit, Primrose and Cyrus (A gripe that I can’t have an all lady party while getting all abilities l so it’s Cyrus’ Angels sort of thing.) Their subjobs are their cointerparts.

The job shrines are stupid easy to run to at low level by the way.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how I feel about this game. I'm only a couple hours in and I think I like it, the combat is fun the writing is ok but it feels like I could burn out pretty quickly. Gathering all the characters requires you to play through their intro at level 1 and I feel like that's just gonna make the beginning really drag out like an extended tutorial. The lack of an over-arching narrative has me concerned I won't really care about any one characters story enough to push through it.

We'll see how it goes, the combat is great so far but it sorta feels like the story and world is pretty shallow.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Popete posted:

I don't know how I feel about this game. I'm only a couple hours in and I think I like it, the combat is fun the writing is ok but it feels like I could burn out pretty quickly. Gathering all the characters requires you to play through their intro at level 1 and I feel like that's just gonna make the beginning really drag out like an extended tutorial. The lack of an over-arching narrative has me concerned I won't really care about any one characters story enough to push through it.

We'll see how it goes, the combat is great so far but it sorta feels like the story and world is pretty shallow.

At least I got personally more interested in the stories after the recruiting was done I got into the later chapters.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
I have kind of a weird question, I was heading through the North Rippletide Coast to unlock the character in Rippletide and came across a few encounters that had a cat man carrying a huge bag. He only took one point of damage from attacks and usually evaded them, so I assume he was high level. He only had like maybe 6 HP, and when I killed him the battle gave over 1,000 xp, basically turbo leveling everyone because I was around level 12. I kept wandering around the area and found 3-4 more of them, going from level 12 to 21 in about 15 minutes.

I've tried to go back and look for him again now that I have everyone unlocked, but I can't find him anymore. Was this just a really rare encounter that I got lucky on or a bug of some kind? Really bummed not to see catman anymore :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

The story feel shallow because you're doing eight different introductions before actually doing anything. I get what they were going for and it sounds neat in practice but it really feels like not the best idea in reality.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

My coworker summed up the game as

quote:

Octopath Traveler is a game about being lovely to townspeople

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I have kind of a weird question, I was heading through the North Rippletide Coast to unlock the character in Rippletide and came across a few encounters that had a cat man carrying a huge bag. He only took one point of damage from attacks and usually evaded them, so I assume he was high level. He only had like maybe 6 HP, and when I killed him the battle gave over 1,000 xp, basically turbo leveling everyone because I was around level 12. I kept wandering around the area and found 3-4 more of them, going from level 12 to 21 in about 15 minutes.

I've tried to go back and look for him again now that I have everyone unlocked, but I can't find him anymore. Was this just a really rare encounter that I got lucky on or a bug of some kind? Really bummed not to see catman anymore :(

Rare encounter. They're the metal slimes of this game and can show up basically everywhere

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Zore posted:

So for multiclassing;

H'annit and Alfyn really don't need to worry beyond getting whatever stat bonuses and secondary commands since they can hit everything by default anyways.
Conversely, Olberic really wants Hunter to round out his defense hitting capabilities.
Ophelia/Primrose/Cyrus all basically want to multiclass into one of the others.
Tressa and to a lesser extent Therion are the jack of all trades and can do really well with basically anything except Warrior.

Honestly the only person who seems like they'd ever want Warrior is H'annit and maybe Alfyn since its the least versatile base class with only 2 defenses it can hit and no other utility.

I have Therion classed as Warrior and it seems really good so far? He gets a badly-needed AOE sword attack and a nice damage boost that goes really well with Steal SP, along with an HP and physical damage class bonus. He already has decent speed and accuracy from being a thief, so I'm using him as my second physical damage dealer along with H'aanit, and then squishy characters like Cyrus and Prim to deal magic damage.

I don't know what else would be good on him, maybe Hunter? I want to get him the +50 physical damage passive out of Warrior at the very least.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I might change from a Cyrus/Apothecary+Ophilia/dancer setup to a Alfyn/Dancer+Ophilia/Scholar setup just because Ophilia's scholar outfit is much better than her dancer outfit

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

euphronius posted:

The first initials of the characters’ names spell Octopath.

Also they go in order clockwise with their starting towns.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ophilia Scholar is annoying because you still only have a cane. :(

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Zore posted:

Rare encounter. They're the metal slimes of this game and can show up basically everywhere

Phew, thank you, I was getting really annoyed just wandering around that same area for about half an hour fighting the same birds over and over. Once they spawn in one "zone" do they normally keep spawning there? If they're super rare then it's weird that I ran into 4 or 5 of them on the same map.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Also it's hosed up that the job outfits only show up in combat

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I saw the cat man once but he ran away before I even attacked him cause I didn't know he was special. :(

What is the Domination bonus that gets you extra JP? I just saw it for the first time but I'm not really sure what I did to earn it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Phew, thank you, I was getting really annoyed just wandering around that same area for about half an hour fighting the same birds over and over. Once they spawn in one "zone" do they normally keep spawning there? If they're super rare then it's weird that I ran into 4 or 5 of them on the same map.

I started with Tressa and also saw a lot of those cats around there.