Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

quote:

You use the term the occupation of Palestine, what did you mean by that?

AOC: Oh– I think, what I meant is that the settlements that are increasing in some of these areas and places where Palestinians are experiencing difficulty in access to housing and homes.

Do you think you can expand on that?

AOC: Yeah I think — I am not the expert on geo-politics on this issue. You now, for me, I’m a firm believer in finding a two-state solution in this issue [Hoover nods approvingly]. And I’m happy to sit down with leaders on both of these… for me, I just look at things through a human rights lens, and I may not use the right words– I know this is a very intense issue.

Oh God this is the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ThndrShk2k posted:

2016 - The remove the ban on contributions from federal lobbyists (5 steps back)

2018 - They ban contributions from a specific type of federal lobbyist (1 step forward)

Right, right. But I just can't fathom them deciding to not take money. Is it just "We won't take money from Bob's fossil fuel company" but then they still take money from Bob's elect democrats PAC?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Right, right. But I just can't fathom them deciding to not take money. Is it just "We won't take money from Bob's fossil fuel company" but then they still take money from Bob's elect democrats PAC?

Pretty much. Or if bob personally offers to give congressman fuckass a cush lobbying job when he leaves office inexchange for support some leg.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

spacetoaster posted:

Bob is not a company.

Also you could also see how a conservative centrist caring too much about wording could twist this into shaming Sanders or any other progressive for getting employees of such industries to to donate to their campaigns.
They already did in 2016 to make him sound hypocritical or like a liar

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 16, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1018906414314676224

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-map-of-israeli-settlements-that-shocked-barack-obama

This is occupation. It's systematic settlement to transform the de facto borders of Palestine into a landlocked version of an archipelago and make a two-state solution involving the West Bank as part of Palestine less possible.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 16, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh my tummy. I don't feel so good.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/s...3195%23lastpost

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/JohnBrennan/status/1018885971104985093?s=19

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

go die john

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AOC strikes me as being vulnerable to the pressure to adopt mainstream positions in order to get along better with the media and other politicians. It's one thing to be campaigning and saying this stuff in that context, and another to say it when under the full spotlight of the media and to the politicians who have the ability to make your life much harder.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ytlaya posted:

AOC strikes me as being vulnerable to the pressure to adopt mainstream positions in order to get along better with the media and other politicians. It's one thing to be campaigning and saying this stuff in that context, and another to say it when under the full spotlight of the media and to the politicians who have the ability to make your life much harder.

Or: why the succ is already everywhere.

Right populism is never held to account. Left populism always is

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

honestly from that interview it just sounds like she knows jack poo poo about i/p

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I can’t take much more of Democrats making the worst decisions every time. even stopped clocks are right twice a day.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

honestly from that interview it just sounds like she knows jack poo poo about i/p

the fact that she even acknowledges that i/p is A Problem puts her 1000000 miles ahead of almost every other democrat

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also https://twitter.com/lil_wage/status/1018821840033206274

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i support a no-state solution.

edit: muskrat update

https://twitter.com/EmmaVigeland/status/1018913917899280385

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I can’t take much more of Democrats making the worst decisions every time. even stopped clocks are right twice a day.

It's not a clock. It's that broken conveyor belt from I love lucy. And it's poo poo instead of chocolate that the dems keep shoving into their mouths.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

She knew enough to be right the first time. She’s revising her opinions because she thinks that she has to represent the whole district and not the people who got her elected.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Yeah anyone who thinks she’s going to be significantly out of line with the progressive house dems on foreign policy is going to be disappointed. That’s just the way it is

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Yinlock posted:

the fact that she even acknowledges that i/p is A Problem puts her 1000000 miles ahead of almost every other democrat

lol

quote:

You use the term the occupation of Palestine, what did you mean by that?

AOC: Oh– I think, what I meant is that the settlements that are increasing in some of these areas and places where Palestinians are experiencing difficulty in access to housing and homes.

Do you think you can expand on that?

AOC: Yeah I think — I am not the expert on geo-politics on this issue. You now, for me, I’m a firm believer in finding a two-state solution in this issue [Hoover nods approvingly]. And I’m happy to sit down with leaders on both of these… for me, I just look at things through a human rights lens, and I may not use the right words– I know this is a very intense issue.

not being an expert in geopolitick but it seems like palestenians are experiencing difficulty in access to homes akin to my difficulty in finding a roommate who wont steal my food. my sympathies and prayers to the palestenian community

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

Yeah anyone who thinks she’s going to be significantly out of line with the progressive house dems on foreign policy is going to be disappointed. That’s just the way it is

For now

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rated PG-34 posted:

lol

not being an expert in geopolitick but it seems like palestenians are experiencing difficulty in access to homes akin to my difficulty in finding a roommate who wont steal my food. my sympathies and prayers to the palestenian community

schumer would be freaking the gently caress out at her 24/7 if she said anything more, but she still should have i agree

also [Hoover nods approvingly]

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

[Hoover will remember that]

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
are people still mad that the new-to-politics and former-bartender has not developed a solution to the I/P conflict that has eluded everyone else since 1948

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Onion somehow keeps getting better.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

i dunno, it's complicated and im no expert in geopolitik

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

are people still mad that the new-to-politics and former-bartender has not developed a solution to the I/P conflict that has eluded everyone else since 1948

Someone is always mad.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it doesn't help that the same interview keeps getting posted over and over with increasingly misleading headlines

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

the biggest grift the isrealis pulled was convincing people that the conflict is somehow complicated

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this is a funny comment bc it presupposes that people in power are actively seeking to end the ip conflict

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Woo!!! John McCain, welcome to the #resistance again!
https://twitter.com/TVietor08/status/1018921696168800257

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rated PG-34 posted:

the biggest grift the isrealis pulled was convincing people that the conflict is somehow complicated

i thought it was making the usa a vassal state for no actual reason

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Yinlock posted:

i thought it was making the usa a vassal state for no actual reason

im more of the view that israel is just another arm of american foreign policy

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

im more of the view that israel is just another arm of american foreign policy