Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Instant Grat posted:

Is Zeromus the one whose abilities are literally just "Knot of Rust" and "Dark Matter" or is that another one

That's Shemhazai. Her Soul Purge is "Better Dark Matter" though, since it ignores the normal damage cap going upto 60k at most, but Zeromus' Big Bang is the only thing that outdamages it and doesn't require spending forever to get good. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Beat the Ruby/Emerald weapons :) Used essentially the same setup for both, mastered materia for all: KOTR+HP absorb, W-Summon, then Final Attack+Phoenix on one character, Mime on two characters + one Master Summon for the other and Magic+/HP+ materia if necessary (and the Underwater materia for Emerald). Ruby was a bit trickier and i felt a little guilty cheesing the fights like that but otoh gently caress those guys. After grinding for that master KOTR materia and the mime materias I'm at ~level 95 for most of my characters and i'm assuming the final battle is gonna be a complete joke, but hey, :feelsgood:

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I think the final boss in 7 scales his HP a bit based off multiple factors. It won't be an issue either way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, the health increases are meaningless because its a linear boost versus your exponential power explosion

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
doesn't safer sephiroth have like 10x more HP if you have knights of the round in your inventory? i mean, kotr does hit more than ten times, but still.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

doesn't safer sephiroth have like 10x more HP if you have knights of the round in your inventory? i mean, kotr does hit more than ten times, but still.

I think his HP goes somewhere between 40k to 100k depending on stats, but I could be remembering completely wrong here

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
His HP ranges from ~50k to 400k. If you have KoR you're very likely to fight his 160k version.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:shrug: I just kicked his rear end without using KOTR, it probably took a bit longer than normal but all of my characters were at least level 96 and i had all the ultimate weapons so... Mime loving owns.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GobiasIndustries posted:

:shrug: I just kicked his rear end without using KOTR, it probably took a bit longer than normal but all of my characters were at least level 96 and i had all the ultimate weapons so... Mime loving owns.

Congratulations. You are a hero, Lunk!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yuffie is a great Sephiroth Smasher of all people because her ultimate weapon scales its damage based on the level difference between Yuffie and her target (more damage for higher, less damage for lower). Guess what final boss always scales to above you, even if he has to go past 99? :getin:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Elentor posted:

His HP ranges from ~50k to 400k. If you have KoR you're very likely to fight his 160k version.

Honestly, I've always thought this was a great idea, and I wish more games did stuff like it. Like, not just a level scaling thing which is kinda the easy way out, I mean various conditional factors for improving a boss's strength based on the things you've done.

Beat an optional boss in the dungeon? You can fight a stronger version of that dungeon's boss. Do a puzzle to make a dungeon shorter/easier? Harder boss (or vice versa, and a longer/harder dungeon for an easier boss). Maybe the odd sidequest which might make the reoccurring miniboss squad you fight several times throughout the game stronger, but give better drops or something.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yuffie is a great Sephiroth Smasher of all people because her ultimate weapon scales its damage based on the level difference between Yuffie and her target (more damage for higher, less damage for lower). Guess what final boss always scales to above you, even if he has to go past 99? :getin:

I've never heard about this bit, from what I'm aware, he's always level 87, but it's just that his stats scale relative to what you've done.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm sure True Conqueror was a nice surprise for people.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I seem to recall hearing that in Star Ocean 2 if you do some side stuff you make the final boss by far the hardest fight in the game? Dunno if I'm remembering that right. There was nothing like that in SO3 or 4 that I can recall.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

I seem to recall hearing that in Star Ocean 2 if you do some side stuff you make the final boss by far the hardest fight in the game? Dunno if I'm remembering that right. There was nothing like that in SO3 or 4 that I can recall.

There's a 'limiter off' version of the end boss that's insanely difficult but you have to do some v specific stuff to get him and you'd be very unlucky if you did it accidentally.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Dragonatrix posted:

That's Shemhazai. Her Soul Purge is "Better Dark Matter" though, since it ignores the normal damage cap going upto 60k at most, but Zeromus' Big Bang is the only thing that outdamages it and doesn't require spending forever to get good. :v:

The normal Dark Matter item does that too, with the 60K cap. I tried summoning Zeromus, bubbling him, getting him down to 1HP and using Big Bang and it did over 230K, which... dang, man

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In MMBN and MMSF (at least the later games in the series) if you completed all the sidequests and Bonus Bosses the normal final boss of the game would take a massive jump in power and become the actual hardest fight.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Pureauthor posted:

In MMBN and MMSF (at least the later games in the series) if you completed all the sidequests and Bonus Bosses the normal final boss of the game would take a massive jump in power and become the actual hardest fight.

I wish they would make another MMBN :negative:

Though I'm pretty sure the hidden versions of Bass were usually still the hardest fights

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

If you do the right events you turn his hard mode on that is considerably more difficult. He then becomes tied up with the other optional superboss as hardest fight.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

There's a 'limiter off' version of the end boss that's insanely difficult but you have to do some v specific stuff to get him and you'd be very unlucky if you did it accidentally.

Said "specific stuff" includes going to the save point right outside of the final boss room, and then leaving the final dungeon, so maybe it's ok.

Honestly I'd say Limiter Off Indalecio is harder than Iselia Queen. None of his attacks are physical, so his AI never tries to engage you--his entire script is dodging around the arena at maximum speed while casting target-all spells that do maximum damage, so your chase AI never meets up with him unless he randomly changes direction towards you. At least Iselia Queen's attacks are entirely melee (or like arms-length ranged) and she's constantly actively trying to get up in your grill, which is why you can reliably beat her with the Blood Armor/Twister + Weird Slayer trick, but if you try this with LO Indalecio, you may just end up chasing him around the arena until Blood Armor eats all your HP and kills you. And you can't interrupt your attack once you queue it to eat a healing item.

Which is why Bowman is recommended instead, because Explosion Pills has a much longer execute range and a huge hitbox to facilitate hitting an enemy that moves like a terrified fly. Of course, this only works on normal difficulty, because stat inflation is such that Bowman can't do damage to Limiter Off Indalecio on higher difficulties, but you shouldn't be playing them anyway.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 14, 2018

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I've never heard about this bit, from what I'm aware, he's always level 87, but it's just that his stats scale relative to what you've done.

Well poo poo you're right. I could have sworn his level scaled too but apparently not. I guess I just never grinded that high.

As it turns out I was also wrong about how Conformer works.

FF Wiki posted:

The damage formula for the amount of damage Conformer does is as follows, dealing more damage the higher the enemy's Level is:

Power=[Target′slevel]
When targeting multiple enemies, the average Lv will be taken (sum of all Target's Lv / qty of targets). If using the Morph command, Power will be set to 2 (1/8 of its normal value which is 16), but the reduction is immediately overwritten with the target's (average) level. It is the only weapon in the game that overrides the Morphing penalty.

A Power of 16 is the equivalent of 1x damage, a Power of 32 is 2x damage, a Power of 64 if 4x damage, and so on. The highest Power the Conformer can reach is 99 against Emerald Weapon, which is 6.1875x normal damage.

So Yuffie is still a great Sephiroth Slayer regardless and incidentally is the best Emerald Weapon slayer too if you give her the right tools.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cait Sith is the best Safer Sephiroth slayer, there I said it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The only bad Safer Sephiroth slayer is anyone without a ribbon/confuse proof because its all just a trick fight using gravity like damage before applying status affects and doing direct damage. Over and over.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://twitter.com/ishaansahdev/status/1018415781133025280

:thunk:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's good everyone should buy it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Octopath Traveler is the game that Sakaguchi would have made had he been employed at Squaresoft.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I can't believe they managed to sell all 12 copies!

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Gologle posted:

Octopath Traveler is the game that Sakaguchi would have made had he been employed at Squaresoft.

I'm thinking more Dragon Age Origins by way of old school Squaresoft staff.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I can't believe they managed to sell all 12 copies!

It could go on to outsell Lightning Returns if the worldwide sales are strong enough.

Not that outselling LR is a particularly high bar.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Holy Jesus on a Mexican piece of toast. Rinoa in Dissidia NT might push me to finally pick it up.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Are the FF remakes from the humble bundle sale good?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vincent posted:

Are they the 3D remakes of NES/SNES games? If so then no.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Vincent posted:

Buy the Chuck Tingle bundle instead, imo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vincent posted:

Theyre the PC versions so 3-6 are various flavors of bad.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Buy the Chuck Tingle bundle instead, imo

Pounded in My Butthole By A Gay Bundle

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Vincent posted:

Now I've only played the mobile versions and not the PC ports but I thought they were fine. Yeah the character sprites look weird but gameplay wise they're fine (except 3 obvs because it sucks rear end no matter the version).

But also get the Chuck Tingle bundle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pounded in the Butt by my Desire to be the Prettiest Girl at Don Corneo’s Manor

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pounded in the Butt by my Shared Memories with a Dying Friend and the Need to not Feel like a Total Failure in Front of my Childhood Crush

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Slammed in the Butt by the Existential Fears of Losing My Childhood Memories/Sense of Self and Pushing Said Memories Away From Myself in a Teenage Fit of Irony

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Pounded in the Butt by my Experiences in the Honeybee Inn

wait

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not Getting Pounded in the Butt by my Boyfriend because he was actually a Dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20