Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

santanotreal posted:

You can edit before building, and all of your placements of that piece during that game will already have the edit. So some people will edit the pyramid piece to look like a ramp, because it has more durability than normal ramps and allows for consistent peaking through the cracks.

Well hey now.

Now now.

Come sing this corrosion to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

santanotreal posted:

You can edit before building, and all of your placements of that piece during that game will already have the edit. So some people will edit the pyramid piece to look like a ramp, because it has more durability than normal ramps and allows for consistent peaking through the cracks.

Well, wow. I had no idea this was a thing!

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Cultisto posted:

Well, wow. I had no idea this was a thing!

No one really bothers anymore tbh. A couple months ago, there was about a week when 25% of people or so would preedit the pyramid into a ramp. The benefit is minor and you have to preedit before every single match, so almost nobody bothers with it now.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

santanotreal posted:

Stone stairs also "suck in" your camera when you get close below the stairs. They're also way thicker than ramp stairs, which I guess isn't necessarily a downside in BR.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

santanotreal posted:

No one really bothers anymore tbh. A couple months ago, there was about a week when 25% of people or so would preedit the pyramid into a ramp. The benefit is minor and you have to preedit before every single match, so almost nobody bothers with it now.

I edit my pyramid into downward stairs so i don't have to rotate twice to go down. Pro players have been coming up with better and better uses for that building though so this is probably a bad idea.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I used to edit pyramids into ramps before every. single. game. But stopped when builder pro was released.

They're stronger than stairs? I had no idea.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

santanotreal posted:

So some people will edit the pyramid piece to look like a ramp, because it has more durability than normal ramps and allows for consistent peaking through the cracks.

When I tried this in-game it showed them as having the same hp. Is this not the case?

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 16, 2018

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Neon Belly posted:

When I tried this in-game it showed them as having the same hp. Is this not the case?

Maybe I’m wrong, I just remember someone saying pyramid ramp has 100hp more than normal ramp

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014
As far as I know, most the people that did the Pyramid-Ramp thing were console players before Builder Pro came out cause it was a faster button combo to get the Pyramid-Ramp down before the Stairs but i could be wrong, just started playing little over a month ago :shrug:

Also, anyone on console (PS4 specifically) having problem with the Golf Carts? It says to hit R2 Forward to go but when I hold down R2 with or without holding forward the cart doesn't go anywhere? I can power slide to get the thing to go but then I still can't just drive it by hitting R2. I don't understand and I just desperately want to run someone over with it :iiam:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If you guys want a fun use for the pyramid in BR: edit two opposite corners, the new shape will let you cross Loot Lake diagonally while spending half the mats you'd use on floor tiles. :eng101:
(I forget where I first saw someone do this, some YT video I believe)

Pyramids with one corner edited creates a little pocket corner to hide in but you're still open to snipers from other directions so it's not as useful unless you're in real bad shape with building mats.

codo27 posted:

Wait a sec. So you're saying- wait I think I get it. There are no epic or legendary tacs are there?

There are epic and legendary heavy shotguns, which are the actual best shotgun in the game. You might get a lucky point blank headshot for more damage with a blue pump but I can't think of any reason you'd want a tac over a heavy. It'd be like wanting a regular blue AR over a gold SCAR.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Turns out Power Level 186 Takers one-shot you with their charge. In the end I just completely walled everything up except for the last 2 tiles, at least they won't charge you anymore.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I walked from my landing spot to the circle in 50v50 and there was a llama just sitting at the top of a hill waiting for me. Such a dumb challenge.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Its a good challenge. Its just something to do.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Kiranamos posted:

Its a good challenge. Its just something to do.

it's a bit too luck-based to call it "good" imo, but it isn't really bad either considering we have literal months to do it

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The new end game circle mechanic is great. The rifts are cool, the ATK is fun. I am extremely satisfied with this patch so far.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
remove miniguns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRPzVzKxhM4

that's ~1400 mats vs 2/3 of his ammo. I screwed up moving onto the ground where I need 2 walls in front of me to not take damage but still, it's obnoxious and excessive.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I find people making endless, instant walls obnoxious and obsessive. Yes I know building is the name of the game but I came in thinking it would kinda be more thought out, purposeful building. I think the walls should offer little to no protection until they are actually finished. And even then, you got a stick wall full of 3-4" gaps, you might as well be looking through a pane of glass. But you cant hit the guy.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Instant walls are fine. What sucks is build nerds who do just that and don’t fight.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Yeah I’m happy with instant walls just so you don’t instant die when someone accidentally gets the drop on you. If anything, make it easier for walls to be destroyed to counter build spamming

Edit: just watched the video. I guess you could’ve tried jumping down and peaking to the side earlier while he wasted time shooting down your tower. Instead you kept trying to rebuild your 1x1 and jumping back up top as it’s already getting destroyed. By the time you gave up on that, you let your opponent get to close that you just had to hope he ran out of ammo or get a lucky shot on him. I would’ve definitely panicked and died to this guy too, but it’s not impossible to counter the minigun

Nottherealaborn fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 17, 2018

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

SMGs, LMGs, Miniguns, most grenades/C4 and Burst AR all tear through buildings just fine.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AAB posted:

SMGs, LMGs, Miniguns, most grenades/C4 and Burst AR all tear through buildings just fine.

Honestly almost any gun tears through someone just insta-building. One clip of a pistol can get you through 1-2 then hopefully your second gun will do some damage.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Well now you're starting to talk sense. Its just so dumb to me that if you don't have a LMG or mini, theres just no way to blow down their walls faster than they can build. Hell even then you need a teammate to shoot them while you destroy their walls.

Had some fun last night with a few goons, even though I suck. I just got no confidence in my aim at all with the loving gamepad.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

codo27 posted:

Well now you're starting to talk sense. Its just so dumb to me that if you don't have a LMG or mini, theres just no way to blow down their walls faster than they can build. Hell even then you need a teammate to shoot them while you destroy their walls.

Had some fun last night with a few goons, even though I suck. I just got no confidence in my aim at all with the loving gamepad.

Use explosives, tac SMG.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Use explosives, tac SMG.

About that:

quote:

Tactical SMG has been added to the Vault.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v5-0-content-update

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Huh but they replaced it with another SMG? Wonder how they compare

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

goferchan posted:

Huh but they replaced it with another SMG? Wonder how they compare

More damage per shot, slower RPM.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

codo27 posted:

I find people making endless, instant walls obnoxious and obsessive. Yes I know building is the name of the game but I came in thinking it would kinda be more thought out, purposeful building. I think the walls should offer little to no protection until they are actually finished. And even then, you got a stick wall full of 3-4" gaps, you might as well be looking through a pane of glass. But you cant hit the guy.

I've been playing the game since october and yea endless instant walls is something I've always hated. Coming up with a solution is hard though, capping it at like 10 instant builds and then a cool down would gently caress up the flow of the game a lot. Something like first 10 placed materials having full starting health then the next 10 having half the starting health (but still building to full) might be a fix (with a cooldown on that as well)

objectively bad posted:

remove miniguns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRPzVzKxhM4

that's ~1400 mats vs 2/3 of his ammo. I screwed up moving onto the ground where I need 2 walls in front of me to not take damage but still, it's obnoxious and excessive.

I hate being the guy saying "you should've just done X" but you absolutely played that wrong. Miniguns are used exactly to punish people sitting in cover like you and it worked. It's downside is that it's not that accurate at tracking or doing damage over range. If you just dropped to the back of your fort near the beginning and just got into a shootout with your AR vs his Minigun you would've won that pretty easily. I'm pretty sure he was able to get closer and closer to you because you weren't being proactive. Seriously though the main tactic against miniguns is, just drop the cover and shoot the guy, miniguns shine when a squad has one on squads being protected by cover fire. Miniguns are actually pretty crap in solos.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

:rip: to my second favourite smg

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

In STG this is a burst fire rifle. Very low key. Very serviceable. Nobody use it, because in STG you fight hordes, but in BR would be some tactical real good weapon.

I still don't understand why they are adding it. Is a very very very boring weapon.

The description make it look they are changing it to a small bullets SMG. That ... makes sense. Still kind of boring.

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 17, 2018

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

Seltzer posted:

I hate being the guy saying "you should've just done X" but you absolutely played that wrong. Miniguns are used exactly to punish people sitting in cover like you and it worked. It's downside is that it's not that accurate at tracking or doing damage over range. If you just dropped to the back of your fort near the beginning and just got into a shootout with your AR vs his Minigun you would've won that pretty easily. I'm pretty sure he was able to get closer and closer to you because you weren't being proactive. Seriously though the main tactic against miniguns is, just drop the cover and shoot the guy, miniguns shine when a squad has one on squads being protected by cover fire. Miniguns are actually pretty crap in solos.

I could have done something differently, but you're making it sound way easier than it is. My walls would all have been gone before I could line up a shot if I'd dropped back as soon as I realised he had a minigun, and even then what happens? Miniguns have higher dps and less spread than a scar. Best I could hope for is getting one FSA headshot before my walls disappear then winning the bloom diceroll.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I mean you kinda just ended up in the perfect situation for the minigun: flat field except for a small little bit of cover, which he was in. If the terrain had been different his minigun might have been worthless.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Tei posted:

In STG this is a burst fire rifle. Very low key. Very serviceable. Nobody use it, because in STG you fight hordes, but in BR would be some tactical real good weapon.

I still don't understand why they are adding it. Is a very very very boring weapon.

The description make it look they are changing it to a small bullets SMG. That ... makes sense. Still kind of boring.

It's replacing the current SMG

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Picked this up on the Switch, 4P squads with randos is fun but makes it tough to complete challenges. Should I just be playing 50v50 for the exploration challenges?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

objectively bad posted:

and less spread than a scar.

Uhh what?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

objectively bad posted:

I could have done something differently, but you're making it sound way easier than it is. My walls would all have been gone before I could line up a shot if I'd dropped back as soon as I realised he had a minigun, and even then what happens? Miniguns have higher dps and less spread than a scar. Best I could hope for is getting one FSA headshot before my walls disappear then winning the bloom diceroll.

It still has a big spread and people miss a lot of their shots with it tracking a target over a distance. Tap firing with an AR will have you win that battle more times than not.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

objectively bad posted:

lol, maybe if the dude was ten feet away from you and the gun was already spun up. You were also throwing down brick walls, which have less initial health than wooden walls. Only use brick or metal if you know you have the time for it to finish building. Wooden walls have higher initial health, and are much better for throwing up "oh poo poo I need some cover" walls. You just panicked and the dude got the best of you, it happens to all of us. If you'd dropped off the back of the tower after throwing up a few distraction walls for him to shoot around :30, while you went around the side and sniped or lit him up with an AR, you probably would have won. It may have come down to bloom, but that's still a better chance than not firing at all. You instead built mostly worthless cover for a minute while he just wore you down with lucky hits and slowly advanced into minigun gonna gently caress you up range.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Kikkoman posted:

Picked this up on the Switch, 4P squads with randos is fun but makes it tough to complete challenges. Should I just be playing 50v50 for the exploration challenges?

50v50 is super easy for challenges. In the past I’ve also done solo squads so I don’t play with randos and can just do my best to avoid other squads

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Instant walls are fine. What sucks is build nerds who do just that and don’t fight.

In many 50 vs 50 games I see my side just sitting and sniping from houses and behind trees not being aggressive enough. Or when they are being aggressive they are doing by running through an open field.

I will usually flip into builder mode and build staggered bunkers leading over to the other team, making sniping towers along the way.

It generally works really well having dedicated builders & revivers.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
New SMG is super fun, that thing rips. I think the only thing it has in common with the PvE version is the model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Also do you have to wait to the entire end of 50 v 50 to get your exp? It's one of my favorite modes but that is a drag.