Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
That's hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

From Junk Charts.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Wikipedia/status/1018112626503700480

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtLEWVu815o

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is dumb and useless. Just look at the mass printed on the bag to see how much you're getting.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Count Roland posted:

This is dumb and useless. Just look at the mass printed on the bag to see how much you're getting.

Yeah people have a real history of not doing that.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Count Roland posted:

It's still bullshit that packaging can legally be designed to look like more product than it is. Deodorant is especially bad about this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's still bullshit that packaging can legally be designed to look like more product than it is. Deodorant is especially bad about this.

You need to have air in chip bags so they don’t turn to powder in transit.

Also, I wear a sock in my boxers.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

You need to have air in chip bags so they don’t turn to powder in transit.

Also, I wear a sock in my boxers.
If your penis is turning into powder in transit without padding I think you have a medical problem.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zereth posted:

If your penis is turning into powder in transit without padding I think you have a medical problem.

POWDERED... COCK... MAAAANNNNN!...

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I kinda hate packaging, though that's not one of my beefs. I guess because I just look at the mass or volume, then complain bitterly when the company changes the packaging while discretely lowering the amount of product that comes with it.

Using a ton of excessive plastic-- now that's my problem. Packaging should be designed to be re-used or to compost naturally. This should be a legal requirement, enforceable at some point along the production/distribution chain. Not like that will happen though.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
It’s happened in Europe, Germany especially I believe, and called cradle to grave responsibility.

In the US though yeah it’s going to be an uphill battle.

Related to your comment, my toothpaste went from 7.4 oz. to 4.7 oz., and it took me a second to realize they were different sizes. I have no doubt this was a deliberate choice on the part of the manufacturers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zereth posted:

You’re telling me!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

It’s happened in Europe, Germany especially I believe, and called cradle to grave responsibility.

In the US though yeah it’s going to be an uphill battle.

Related to your comment, my toothpaste went from 7.4 oz. to 4.7 oz., and it took me a second to realize they were different sizes. I have no doubt this was a deliberate choice on the part of the manufacturers.

Yes, this is bullshit. My dad used to give me running updates on how his coffee tins were getting smaller by the year. I see it in stuff like bottled water too; there's a new bottle with a fancy shape, smaller without seeming so at first glance. And they call it green!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

sweet snacks all do this gradually until the new King Size is the same as the old normal one

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Peanut Butler posted:

sweet snacks all do this gradually until the new King Size is the same as the old normal one

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/08/toblerone-faces-mountain-of-criticism-over-stupid-change-to-its/

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Count Roland posted:

I see it in stuff like bottled water too; there's a new bottle with a fancy shape, smaller without seeming so at first glance. And they call it green!

You shouldn't drink water if it's green or any colour at all.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

They only call it green, it isn't actually.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Consumer products are the art of selling air.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah people have a real history of not doing that.

They still have to pick up the bag unless they have a personal shopper or something.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

They still have to pick up the bag unless they have a personal shopper or something.

There's also been the issue of companies keeping the packaging the same size but inching the weight down bit by bit. The thing that sticks out is McCormick pepper has apparently been doing that. The tin is the same size and looks exactly the same but the weight is lower and there is less pepper. The price is the same, though! Or higher! Gots to adjust for inflation, you know.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Peanut Butler posted:

There's a really good essay on this, "Phyletic Size Decrease in Hershey Bars" by Stephen J. Gould (collected in Hen's Teeth and Horse's Toes). The technique is to repeatedly micro-downsize over a long period until releasing a new "Now 30% Bigger!" bar with a commensurate price increase.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Some stadium got successfully sued once because their "small" and "large" beers were actually both the same amount, but the "large" cup was taller (and thinner).

Edit: link - https://deadspin.com/fans-sue-arena-after-video-reveals-large-and-small-beer-1542917808

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 15:09 on Jul 16, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Holy poo poo that is blatant, especially considering how much profit they make from beer sales in the first place, without resorting to dirty tricks.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

KozmoNaut posted:

Holy poo poo that is blatant, especially considering how much profit they make from beer sales in the first place, without resorting to dirty tricks.

I might be too charitable here, but there could be there's legal limits on the alcohol content of "a drink" served to a single customer.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ikanreed posted:

I might be too charitable here, but there could be there's legal limits on the alcohol content of "a drink" served to a single customer.

Hm , there could be, if only there was some way of finding out! I guess the immediate "oh lol my bad we'll start selling EVEN BIGGER larges from now on" doesn't mean anything though.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ikanreed posted:

if this was about ethics in alcohol service they would just offer one size, or at least make the small smaller than the limit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People rate ice cream as tasting better when they see it scooped from a round container than when they see/taste the exact same product scooped from a rectangular container.

Perception is what matters and if people believe they are getting what they pay for, they are.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

Some stadium got successfully sued once because their "small" and "large" beers were actually both the same amount, but the "large" cup was taller (and thinner).

Edit: link - https://deadspin.com/fans-sue-arena-after-video-reveals-large-and-small-beer-1542917808

Sports fans:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Panty Saluter posted:

if this was about ethics in alcohol service they would just offer one size, or at least make the small smaller than the limit

If they were ethical you wouldn't see $14 16 ounce cans at concerts.

I'm not paying drat near a dollar an ounce for bud light you fuckers.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

I love this dumb loving kid.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

This is on purpose, right?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jesus In A Can posted:

I love this dumb loving kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtLEWVu815o
Enjoy more dumb kids

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

literally at the top of this page dudes :eng99:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Panty Saluter posted:

literally at the top of this page dudes :eng99:

Sadly i have not developed the concept of conservation.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Platystemon posted:

People rate ice cream as tasting better when they see it scooped from a round container than when they see/taste the exact same product scooped from a rectangular container.

Perception is what matters and if people believe they are getting what they pay for, they are.

I do miss carving out a cube of ice cream

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Uhh.... even setting aside Africa attached to North America, the key doesn't cover all the colors on the chart. If blue is 1, then light blue should be zero, and violet.... negative numbers?

I won't even go into how wrong those numbers are for the supposed information. There's way more Passerines than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Peanut Butler posted:

I do miss carving out a cube of ice cream