Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

eightysixed posted:

To piggy-back off of your woes I CANNOT block a power shot to save my life. Over half my losses are because of broken rackets :suicide:

Slow down time when they’re coming for you or just walk away so they just score instead of breaking your racket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Anidav posted:

I am really starting to believe there is some sort of exploit to make the switch drop bars. The game just grinds to one bar suddenly when some people are losing, I tried to see if I could find it but it isn't anything in docks which makes me think people are walking away from their wifi in order to lag the game and predict shots easier. I mean I beat them sometimes but I really do believe some people are intentionally dropping bars on their switch when they are losing. I noticed you can do screenshot capture and record online so I wonder if you spam the share button in handheld mode it might stall the switch to a halt by hitting the screenshot button repeatedly or something. I ran into the same guy repeatedly and the game would free when I hit the ball and unfreeze when they hit the ball and it definetely looked like he was tampering with the connection somehow if it be by stalling the Switch OS or walking away from their wifi and back again.

It's called "living in Australia with poo poo internet ".

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Custom router firmware can have functions that let people introduce artificial latency at will.

There's also bullshit like this. https://premiumlag.com/buy-premium-lag-switch/

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

iajanus posted:

It's called "living in Australia with poo poo internet ".

Nah there's some tricky people out there. :tinfoil:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

eightysixed posted:

To piggy-back off of your woes I CANNOT block a power shot to save my life. Over half my losses are because of broken rackets :suicide:

When they power shot, there is a white ring under the ball, wait until you're in the ring before you swing.

My own woes involve not consistently being able to generate meter for some reason. Some games I'm just always green and others I can never get out of the red and get victimized constantly by zone serves.

Also I'd love to know what matchmaking is based on, I just played a guy at lunch who ripped my rear end open in the semifinals yesterday, I've got 2000 points and he has 15k. I can't imagine he is winning and losing enough to still be in my bracket with that many points.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The new match making is nice but boy does it suck when your only viable matchup is a waluigi playing on McDonald's wifi

Btw, on the off chance willy posts here: shame on you for subjecting people to that. Sorry I 7-0'd you in the tie breaker

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Won my first tournament! Had to dodge two Jrs to do it but I finally won one. It feels weird to be decent at a multiplayer game in the modern era. Right around a 2400 Elo, which is crazy to me - I usually play medic or support in games and struggle to stay in bronze tiers hahaha

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Anidav posted:

Nah there's some tricky people out there. :tinfoil:

Blooper doesn't come out until later

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Blooper doesn't come out until later

Yeah, and I'm still stuck on him :saddowns:

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

eightysixed posted:

Yeah, and I'm still stuck on him :saddowns:

I had to break his racket. It broke every time I did a full special shot (whatever the L attack is called when the meter is full), and he always lost some when I did star shots. This also helped a friend get past it.

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Played a Simple game today that had 51 points. My opponent had like six match points. It was pretty insane.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Asnorban posted:

I had to break his racket. It broke every time I did a full special shot (whatever the L attack is called when the meter is full), and he always lost some when I did star shots. This also helped a friend get past it.

Um, wow. Thanks for this. Came home from work, and beat him on the first try using this tactic. I wonder what's next :ohdear:

e: Oh, it's Gooper Blooper Way easier than the first one. First try. Sheesh.

e2: Oh gently caress, it's Kamek. Welp. I guess it was a fun game...

Nevermind, beat him on the first try. I guess I got lucky. I only had one screw up to give at like 315 or so, and he started purple shotting me straight down, so no mast madness.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 11, 2018

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Let me know when they fix this game, cuz right now it is complete rear end. Every game is just trick shot spamming and alternating between drop shots and lob shots. There’s no tennis being played.

Fake edit: please name thread Mario Tennis Aces: There’s no tennis being played

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Play Simple mode

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Play Simple mode

Yeah it's kind of a weird complaint that the game mode that is designed to be less like tennis is not like tennis when there's a simple mode that is very like tennis

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Speaking of lob and drop shots, isn't there a normal button combo to perform either/both, as opposed to using the d-pad and and X?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

eightysixed posted:

Speaking of lob and drop shots, isn't there a normal button combo to perform either/both, as opposed to using the d-pad and and X?

A>B for lob, B>A for drop.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
When I counter a special shot with a special shot, my animation plays, I hit the ball, and every time I get rocketed to the back edge of the court and lose the ralley. I can block 99% of the special shots that come at me but I never knock my opponent to the back edge. What's going on?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wildtortilla posted:

When I counter a special shot with a special shot, my animation plays, I hit the ball, and every time I get rocketed to the back edge of the court and lose the ralley. I can block 99% of the special shots that come at me but I never knock my opponent to the back edge. What's going on?

That's what happens when you counter a special with a special. You get knocked to the back of the court and your opponent gets an easy shot. Don't counter a special with a special.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

That's what happens when you counter a special with a special. You get knocked to the back of the court and your opponent gets an easy shot. Don't counter a special with a special.

Interesting.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Interesting.

Even if you have full meter, only counter a special shot by going in slow mo and timing your hit. Feel free to counter a zone shot with a special shot though.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

santanotreal posted:

Even if you have full meter, only counter a special shot by going in slow mo and timing your hit. Feel free to counter a zone shot with a special shot though.

I typically do counter with zone speed. But lately, despite positioning myself within the white Halo surrounding the ball, I either get hit by the ball or my racket breaks. I can't figure out what I'm suddenly doing wrong. Maybe it's a connection issue. I don't know.

I'm just about out of patience with this game and I'm increasingly leaning toward trading it in toward Octopath. 🙁

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Bowser Jr. and Trick Shots are getting nerfed soon.

https://support.nintendo.co.jp/app/answers/detail/a_id/35399

Shamelessly stolen translations:

1. The range of the backwards trick shot has been reduced (the "cone width")

2. The amount of energy gained from successful backwards trick shots have been reduced

3. The distance of horizontal trick shots have been reduced

4. The cone width of horizontal trick shots have been reduced

5. The timing to pull of successful trick shots in general is stricter

6. Doing a late trick shot uses up more energy

7. In order to do a body shot from a zone serve it has to bounce once.

8. Bowser Jr's charge move speed has been reduced

9. Bowser Jr's "turning angle" has been reduced (I have no idea what this means lol)

10. There will be more balancing for the entire roster by the August tournament

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I can't believe bowsers terrible son is being killed on a tennis court for everyone to see

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
It’s pretty funny they felt the need to not allow body shotting on zone serves unless it bounces once. Didn’t realize that was a big enough issue (honestly, zone serve is kinda dumb anyways)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm glad they're addressing all that. Should be good once I get my drat Switch fixed :mad:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

santanotreal posted:

It’s pretty funny they felt the need to not allow body shotting on zone serves unless it bounces once. Didn’t realize that was a big enough issue (honestly, zone serve is kinda dumb anyways)

Clearly you never played doubles with goons :argh:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Good changes

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Game is unplayable

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I just wish they would remove energy gain from trick shots altogether. You shouldn't be rewarded for being out of place on the court.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

I just wish they would remove energy gain from trick shots altogether. You shouldn't be rewarded for being out of place on the court.

Agreed. Which is one of the reasons Tennis and I have an upcoming date with the game store to turn it into funds for Octopath. I really liked this game until a multitude of annoyances got between me and the fun. :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wildtortilla posted:

Agreed. Which is one of the reasons Tennis and I have an upcoming date with the game store to turn it into funds for Octopath. I really liked this game until a multitude of annoyances got between me and the fun. :(

It sounds like they’re fixing most of the annoyances so maybe wait a bit.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

glassyalabolas posted:

Bowser Jr. and Trick Shots are getting nerfed soon.

https://support.nintendo.co.jp/app/answers/detail/a_id/35399

Shamelessly stolen translations:

1. The range of the backwards trick shot has been reduced (the "cone width")

2. The amount of energy gained from successful backwards trick shots have been reduced

3. The distance of horizontal trick shots have been reduced

4. The cone width of horizontal trick shots have been reduced

5. The timing to pull of successful trick shots in general is stricter

6. Doing a late trick shot uses up more energy

8. Bowser Jr's charge move speed has been reduced

9. Bowser Jr's "turning angle" has been reduced (I have no idea what this means lol)

10. There will be more balancing for the entire roster by the August tournament

I wonder if this means he'll have inertia like Koopa does.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Chaotic Flame posted:

So what you're actually saying is that you want trick shots removed from the game, because that's basically what would happen if you removed energy gain from trick shots.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ZeButler posted:

So what you're actually saying is that you want trick shots removed from the game, because that's basically what would happen if you removed energy gain from trick shots.

No? They'd be "oh poo poo" buttons that cost meter, as they should be so you can't do them whenever you feel like it and get rewarded for being in the wrong place on the court.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zone Speed is already the oh poo poo save me mechanic.

Trick shots should be the hard read risk/reward mechanic

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ZeButler posted:

The gain of a trick shot is that you were on the wrong side of the court. You shouldn't be rewarded for poor placement.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

No? They'd be "oh poo poo" buttons that cost meter

This is called zone speed it exists

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The ideal for trick shots is that you're so inside your opponent's head that you can dramatically leap into position and return the shot. The solution is to make them harder to accurately perform and the radius smaller (two things they did in this patch), rather than remove meter gain entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Chaotic Flame posted:

No? They'd be "oh poo poo" buttons that cost meter, as they should be so you can't do them whenever you feel like it and get rewarded for being in the wrong place on the court.

Cojawfee posted:

The gain of a trick shot is that you were on the wrong side of the court. You shouldn't be rewarded for poor placement.

They aren't rewarding you for poor placement, though. They're rewarding you for being able to hard read your opponent because they're predictable. When you actually are using a trick shot when you're out of position, they burn meter, just like zone speed. What you both are actually advocating for is the removal of trick shots from the game, because if you removed energy gain from them, there is no point to use them when you have zone speed.

Also, if you don't like trick shots, play Simple.