Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mega Man Legends doesn't have a strong enough narrative for a surprising plot twist but replaying the game it dawns on you how deliberate the design choices are like the island having multiple craters and the books/artifacts you find spoil the ending midway through.

And I love games with in-universe explanation for saving like Data is Mega Man's literal memory bank.

And since I keep coming back to it, Anachronox's ending really did get me. RIP that game, the saga will never close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i liked how data has a higher mega man rank than both mega man and the final boss :psyduck:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

This is cool but way too internally consistent for Jojo

It's the internal consistencies that make it imo since it's basically just reality recognizing that the rules got broken and it's just desperately tossing duct tape over the leaks and praying it corrects itself

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
e: weird double post glitch

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 16, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

welp with Yakuza 6 at 35bux on prime Day I guess this is the best time to finally get it? Yakuza 0 was my GOTY last year but I was waiting a long while before ingesting any Yakuza stuff again since 0/Kiwami so close together threatened to burn me out. Yakuza 6 is just as amazing I'm assuming.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

an actual dog posted:

I'm still angry about this

I'm having a hard time coming up with surprise genre that would be less welcome than RTS. Like, schmup, shooter, dating sim, text adventure, whatever, I can get throught it. No one but an RTS player actually wants to play an RTS, though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the big thing is that games that suddenly shift into shmups usually have pretty simplified takes on how they play or are deliberately designed to be more accessible, same with shooters, dating sims can just be a background element or something that draws on writing that the player presumably already enjoys, and text adventure segments are usually goofy gags. shifting into an rts suddenly means, the player has to use a lot more brain power even if the rts is bad

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Best twist in MGSV was that the squirt gun was actually combat effective

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Fort Condor rules!

Maybe? Haven’t played FF7 in yonks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

Fort Condor rules!

nobody did fort condor voluntarily you can't prove it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You needed to at least once for the Phoenix(?) materia.

I always did it the first time you could as well because I thought you had to for some reason but I was just being dumb.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

DLC Inc posted:

welp with Yakuza 6 at 35bux on prime Day I guess this is the best time to finally get it? Yakuza 0 was my GOTY last year but I was waiting a long while before ingesting any Yakuza stuff again since 0/Kiwami so close together threatened to burn me out. Yakuza 6 is just as amazing I'm assuming.
Yakuza 6 is possibly a bit short on content since the new engine meant they couldn't recycle anything but it makes up for it with autosaves, nearly infinite inventory (and no more item box), no battle/indoor transitions, and wacky ragdoll physics.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I love Uncharted

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Sakurazuka posted:

You needed to at least once for the Phoenix(?) materia.

I always did it the first time you could as well because I thought you had to for some reason but I was just being dumb.

I was convinced there was some larger reason to do it (I think you got an ultimate weapon from it?) so I played the ever living gently caress out of it which is why I had 300 plus hours in ffvii by the end (I was also eleven and was raised by nannies that didn’t give a poo poo)

Whoever said Xenogears has my money, the wiseman and fei twists blew my little mind, and in the same square vein the true end of parasite eve (when you beat the Chrysler building) was a twist I wasn’t expecting at all.

The game that really shocked was Phantasy Star IV which no one talks about for some reason. (Sega murdered it) When [//spoiler]alys died[///spoiler] I spent days trying to revive her to no avail.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

nobody did fort condor voluntarily you can't prove it

i did but i was ten

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

Fort Condor rules!

Fort Condor was a tower defense game, not an RTS

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sindai posted:

Yakuza 6 is possibly a bit short on content since the new engine meant they couldn't recycle anything but it makes up for it with autosaves, nearly infinite inventory (and no more item box), no battle/indoor transitions, and wacky ragdoll physics.

Yes but also where was akiyama and majima????

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jay Carney posted:

The game that really shocked was Phantasy Star IV which no one talks about for some reason. (Sega murdered it) When [//spoiler]old game spoiler[///spoiler] I spent days trying to revive her to no avail.

You murdered the hell out of those spoiler tags, that’s for sure.

I really liked the twist ending of Murdered: Soul Suspect. The rest of the game is just poorly made enough that I took all of its foreshadowing at face value and it totally got me good.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Also lol if you wasted money actually playing the Fort Condor minigame instead of not putting out any units and just letting an enemy get to the base so you can fight off Commander Grand Horn yourself

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Yes but also where was akiyama and majima????

in a lot of other games you should go play those

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/r80u2k.mp4

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

lets hang out posted:

in a lot of other games you should go play those

I did, and I wanted them to have a chance to say goodbye to kiryu! Instead we get a very "sir not-appearing-in-this-movie" vibe, especially so for majima since I think he's in two cutscenes all game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The problem with Brutal Legend isn't the RTS, it's that the game didn't communicate it's not an RTS. It's a MOBA. You are more powerful than any single unit, units become more powerful when they're around you, and your job is to distract other units so your guys destroy towers.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

The problem with Brutal Legend isn't the RTS, it's that the game didn't communicate it's not an RTS. It's a MOBA. You are more powerful than any single unit, units become more powerful when they're around you, and your job is to distract other units so your guys destroy towers.

I got it free and did the first real mission and uh i no like

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You know, I really despise the collectibles in Uncharted games. They are so pointless, even more than collectibles usually are

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

As a huge Nintendo fan who couldn't care less about Crash Bandicoot as a franchise I still think Crash Team Racing is the best mascot kart racer ever made.

al-azad posted:

I tried playing it this way but I found I did a lot better when I treated it as a straight RTS :shrug:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

As a huge Nintendo fan who couldn't care less about Crash Bandicoot as a franchise I still think Crash Team Racing is the best mascot kart racer ever made.

I tried playing it this way but I found I did a lot better when I treated it as a straight RTS :shrug:

The game gives you a machine gun car, team up abilities, a power called FACEMELTER, and eventually lets you crash a lead zeppelin in a nuclear explosion. How could you resist that?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

The game gives you a machine gun car, team up abilities, a power called FACEMELTER, and eventually lets you crash a lead zeppelin in a nuclear explosion. How could you resist that?

Crash Team Racing was hosed up

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You know, I really despise the collectibles in Uncharted games. They are so pointless, even more than collectibles usually are

most of Uncharted games are pointless, including the climbing which by the end of Uncharted 4, I was simply just holding Up and pressing X. The climbing is just braindead and I think even AC Origins put more thought into the act of scaling things.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

most of Uncharted games are pointless, including the climbing which by the end of Uncharted 4, I was simply just holding Up and pressing X. The climbing is just braindead and I think even AC Origins put more thought into the act of scaling things.

Acos climbing is really weird like im holding up and furiously tapping A but character guy, who i skipped all the cutscenes where they may have said his name, just moves side to side instead of going over the ledge sometimes and a croc bites his rear end

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Acos climbing is really weird like im holding up and furiously tapping A but character guy, who i skipped all the cutscenes where they may have said his name, just moves side to side instead of going over the ledge sometimes and a croc bites his rear end

You only need to press the climb button when you first grab onto a surface, or when you have to jump to a distant handhold. Holding it or tapping it might mess up your climbing.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Sam Faust posted:

Related, has anyone had a dream where you believe you signed up for a class you never attended or forgot about mid-semester somehow, but now its finals and you're gonna fail. Or is that just me?

I'm 27 and I have this dream two or three times a year

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh gtk thanks

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm 34 and I still have those kinds of dreams.

actually im 33 oops

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I regularly have dreams about school/college despite not being in them. Its not uncommon for me to wake up with a feeling of dread thinking "poo poo I have to that paper its due today ughhhhhhh" and then about a minute later my brain realizes I'm not in loving school.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I have those kinds of dreams too. I think I just miss college in general.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

That goes away eventually. Took like 10 years post school for me

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Sam Faust posted:

Related, has anyone had a dream where you believe you signed up for a class you never attended or forgot about mid-semester somehow, but now its finals and you're gonna fail. Or is that just me?

Yes. They're not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm glad college gave everyone PTSD

• Locked thread