Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

im on the net me boys posted:

Got mail today notifying me that to vote in the primary election for Washington in August that I need to update my voter registration by July 9th. lol

Working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

State Rep candidate Ramos came to my house yesterday, he was canvassing door to door.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BrandorKP posted:

State Rep candidate Ramos came to my house yesterday, he was canvassing door to door.
Did you call 911?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/WAGOP/status/10...nger.com%2Fslog

:qq: :qq:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

what a bunch of whiny nerds

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Did you call 911?

I asked him why I only see Republicans at the parades and events in town. I'm sick of seeing Chad "More Freedom" Magendaz, or whatever the hell his name is. The last state Senate election here had a margin of like 100-ish votes and flipped D and my household moving out here wasn't 2.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They made a huge loving mistake running Dino. Nobody gives a poo poo about the the D candidates, they're all varying degrees of Issaquah blah.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
how does Rossi keep convincing people that no really this time he'll win

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cheetah7071 posted:

how does Rossi keep convincing people that no really this time he'll win
Maybe people think it stands for Democrat In Name Only

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Dino Rossi has now lost something like 5 elections in a row, but it isn't like the Washington Republican bench is deep. Other than Eastern Washington nut jobs who would get zero votes on the West side of the mountains, all they have is boring business men.

And a fun fact: Dino Rossi last won an election in 2000. Yes, 18 years ago.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

perhaps they should stop letting Dino Rossi pick their candidate

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

perhaps they should stop letting Dino Rossi pick their candidate

Nah, it is fun watching him lose.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Dino Rossi has the best career arc. Loses the governor election by the slimmest of margins after a couple recounts. Then loses by a bigger margib. Then runs for Senate and gets his rear end kicked. Now he's going even smaller and will probably lose. I wonder if he's gonna run for some city council after this and lose that too.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

seiferguy posted:

Dino Rossi has the best career arc. Loses the governor election by the slimmest of margins after a couple recounts. Then loses by a bigger margib. Then runs for Senate and gets his rear end kicked. Now he's going even smaller and will probably lose. I wonder if he's gonna run for some city council after this and lose that too.

He's gonna move and go for Kshamas spot

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/BetsBarnes/status/1017615809277902849

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

anthonypants posted:

Maybe people think it stands for Democrat In Name Only

RINOs and DINOs and WINOs, oh my!

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

He claims that 18 months into a 60-84 month promise to deliver 1,300 affordable homes they have delivered half. But then when pressed for specifics he says "WHEELER: Delivered or in the pipeline."

Anyone familiar with pipelines knows you can put a million farts in a pipeline and say you hit your pipeline quota but if they don't progress on-schedule it's meaningless.

Also not happy with the way he positioned it entirely as a national problem so not his job to solve.

Also gently caress that guy.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

porkface posted:

He claims that 18 months into a 60-84 month promise to deliver 1,300 affordable homes they have delivered half. But then when pressed for specifics he says "WHEELER: Delivered or in the pipeline."

Anyone familiar with pipelines knows you can put a million farts in a pipeline and say you hit your pipeline quota but if they don't progress on-schedule it's meaningless.

Also not happy with the way he positioned it entirely as a national problem so not his job to solve.

Every mayor Portland has had for like... what close to 2 decades now? has been a bumbling oaf at best. To be fair, I can think of few jobs I'd want less than mayor of Portland as this city has a lot of very pressing issues, none of which have easy solutions, but we are certainly not getting anyone remotely qualified to deal with the problems we have.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

porkface posted:

Also he says they're totally bringing an MLB team to Portland https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/07/b3fae2e5358258/major-league-baseball-to-portl.html

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Canzano is going to be walking around the Oregonian offices with an Anchorman-style erection for the foreseeable future.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

inkblot posted:

Every mayor Portland has had for like... what close to 2 decades now? has been a bumbling oaf at best. To be fair, I can think of few jobs I'd want less than mayor of Portland as this city has a lot of very pressing issues, none of which have easy solutions, but we are certainly not getting anyone remotely qualified to deal with the problems we have.

The last two mayors have been particularly bad, I mean they are essentially middle of the Rockefeller Republicans that gaslit much of the public in thinking that they were progressives. their policy has pretty much been small government and no restriction to development and the results aren't surprising. Adams wasn't that great either and was pretty much a placeholder.

Honestly, I just anything getting better at this point. One big issue Portland has compared to other cities, its infrastructure really isn't that of a major metropolis. This includes its schools, roads, and public transportation. The MAX is fine in concept but really isn't designed to move the people it needs to, the streetcar was mostly just to boost property values and bus service in all honestly sucks. The roads are likewise ridiculous and clearly not designed for the load it is taking (the road network south of downtown may literally be the worst designed mess I have seen period). I don't think anything needs said about PPS that hasn't been said, it is a trash fire. That isn't touching the issue of housing.

Portland is a good place to spent your 20s into your early 30s as sort of a rest stop on the road of life, but yeah the city has serious and maybe unsolvable issues.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 14, 2018

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Just need to consolidate a few potential homeless shelters to make room for the stadium!

Ardennes posted:

unsolvable issues.
Have you considered running for mayor with that attitude?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

porkface posted:

Have you considered running for mayor with that attitude?

Granted, they don't even pretend to make an attempt.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
As mayor I promise to bring the Velveteria back to Portland!

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Sounds like Seattle honestly.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

wyoming posted:

As mayor I promise to bring the Velveteria back to Portland!

Get them to do a joint venture combining their talents with Fat Cobra and I’m in

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
LOL Dino Rossi is running in my hometown district and the only people running against him all kinda succ. Probably gonna vote for the candidate from Auburn (Slaughter Solidarity)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ardennes posted:

The last two mayors have been particularly bad, I mean they are essentially middle of the Rockefeller Republicans that gaslit much of the public in thinking that they were progressives. their policy has pretty much been small government and no restriction to development and the results aren't surprising. Adams wasn't that great either and was pretty much a placeholder.

Honestly, I just anything getting better at this point. One big issue Portland has compared to other cities, its infrastructure really isn't that of a major metropolis. This includes its schools, roads, and public transportation. The MAX is fine in concept but really isn't designed to move the people it needs to, the streetcar was mostly just to boost property values and bus service in all honestly sucks. The roads are likewise ridiculous and clearly not designed for the load it is taking (the road network south of downtown may literally be the worst designed mess I have seen period). I don't think anything needs said about PPS that hasn't been said, it is a trash fire. That isn't touching the issue of housing.

Portland is a good place to spent your 20s into your early 30s as sort of a rest stop on the road of life, but yeah the city has serious and maybe unsolvable issues.

Are there other examples of cities that essentially choked themselves to death that we can look to for insight as to what lies ahead for Portland?

i.e. if the city has "serious and maybe unsolvable issues" (or, perhaps more to the point, issues the electorate are unwilling to solve), will we reach a tipping point where we see a sudden exodus from the city/region?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

issues the electorate are unwilling to solve)
This is what it looks like to me. Like if it's just one or two administrations, you can potentially chalk it up to incompetence, but several in a row sounds more like the electorate wants to have its cake and eat it too (e.g. "we want these huge transit/bike improvements everywhere yesterday but also no more taxes and you can't take away any space from cars").

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cicero posted:

This is what it looks like to me. Like if it's just one or two administrations, you can potentially chalk it up to incompetence, but several in a row sounds more like the electorate wants to have its cake and eat it too (e.g. "we want these huge transit/bike improvements everywhere yesterday but also no more taxes and you can't take away any space from cars").
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYbnB5toqRI&hd=1

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Are there other examples of cities that essentially choked themselves to death that we can look to for insight as to what lies ahead for Portland?

i.e. if the city has "serious and maybe unsolvable issues" (or, perhaps more to the point, issues the electorate are unwilling to solve), will we reach a tipping point where we see a sudden exodus from the city/region?

Yeah, unsolvable in the sense that Oregonians literally don't want to spend money and if anything the state is pretty fundamentally libertarian. It might have semi-acceptable when Portland was a medium-sized city in a state reliant on agriculture and timbering but not for the direction it is going which if anything seems to be increasing density. It isn't that there haven't been improvements either, but that if anything pretty much all the low-hanging fruit has been plucked. Most of the MAX lines are on existing ROWs near freeways and railyards, but there is no the question of how to actually move people in the rest of the city considering the state of roads/highways. If anything the current toll plan shows how screwed the situation is since tolling is basically being introduced for relatively small-scale improvements on existing highways with little other investment.

I don't think Portland is going to explode...but it is just going to be a more miserable place to live and Californians and immigrants will be largely blamed for it. It doesn't help the cost of living has risen with housing prices which honestly has added even more tension.

One reason people drink (or whatever) in Portland is that it is actually pretty stressful to make any serious ground there...unless you want to rent out a room forever with zero savings and float through life until you can't afford your own medical bills.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 16, 2018

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
If anybody in the thread actually wants to help improve the city of Portland there are some lovely people on the front lines protesting ICE at 4310 SW Macadam AVE who could use some meals, water, Gatorade, and a whole bunch of other supplies to keep up the fight during this nasty heat.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, unsolvable in the sense that Oregonians literally don't want to spend money and if anything the state is pretty fundamentally libertarian. It might have semi-acceptable when Portland was a medium-sized city in a state reliant on agriculture and timbering but not for the direction it is going which if anything seems to be increasing density. It isn't that there haven't been improvements either, but that if anything pretty much all the low-hanging fruit has been plucked. Most of the MAX lines are on existing ROWs near freeways and railyards, but there is no the question of how to actually move people in the rest of the city considering the state of roads/highways. If anything the current toll plan shows how screwed the situation is since tolling is basically being introduced for relatively small-scale improvements on existing highways with little other investment.

It's a weird kind of libertarianism though, because normally under a libertarian mindset you wouldn't expect to see land-use planning regulation in the form of the Urban Growth Boundary, you'd just have seen the Tualatin Valley completely paved over already.

There's definitely a tight-fisted element to it (thanks to anti-tax shitheads like Bill Sizemore) but I suspect at heart is more of a stubborn resistance to change. Going for higher density means eventually you have to start tearing old stuff down and building new.

I'm not sure how you could essentially sell the city on basically rebuilding itself, because even if you promise a massive expansion of housing and transit, I think people are going to suspect all that new housing is going to be out of their price range or otherwise not benefit them. Is there a city that's accomplished such changes, without pricing a lot of existing people out of the city, that we can look to for inspiration?

quote:

I don't think Portland is going to explode...but it is just going to be a more miserable place to live and Californians and immigrants will be largely blamed for it. It doesn't help the cost of living has risen with housing prices which honestly has added even more tension.

One reason people drink (or whatever) in Portland is that it is actually pretty stressful to make any serious ground there...unless you want to rent out a room forever with zero savings and float through life until you can't afford your own medical bills.

Yeah, unfortunately cities like Vancouver BC and San Francisco show that there's apparently no limit to how high housing costs can go up. :(

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

It's a weird kind of libertarianism though, because normally under a libertarian mindset you wouldn't expect to see land-use planning regulation in the form of the Urban Growth Boundary, you'd just have seen the Tualatin Valley completely paved over already.

There's definitely a tight-fisted element to it (thanks to anti-tax shitheads like Bill Sizemore) but I suspect at heart is more of a stubborn resistance to change. Going for higher density means eventually you have to start tearing old stuff down and building new.

I'm not sure how you could essentially sell the city on basically rebuilding itself, because even if you promise a massive expansion of housing and transit, I think people are going to suspect all that new housing is going to be out of their price range or otherwise not benefit them. Is there a city that's accomplished such changes, without pricing a lot of existing people out of the city, that we can look to for inspiration?

Yeah, unfortunately cities like Vancouver BC and San Francisco show that there's apparently no limit to how high housing costs can go up. :(

Funny you mention the UGB, because I feel like the way housing costs are going, the Pave-the-Tualatin-Valley plan is going to seem more and more desirable to folks :( There's a lot of prime land out there that could be suburban sprawl instead of farms

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/1018921049423900673 :qqsay:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

I do think there is a bit more of a respect for nature (but lets not go too far...) in Oregon as well as a tendency towards nostalgia. So you have things policy like the urban growth boundary (which is reasonable on its basic premise), but not the serious type of spending that such a policy is going to require over decades.

Admittedly, just adding some more suburbs may slow housing prices a bit but it is going not help the other issue the metro area is facing if not will exacerbate them. Portland freeways really can't take on another mass expansion of exburbs. Honestly, the only real fix would probably be the development of denser public housing on the scale approaching closer to Singapore (maybe not as extreme but that is the idea). The current system of handfuls of affordable units in new complexes obviously isn't cutting it.

Portland was a in some ways a city that got pulled into the future despite itself and honestly I am skeptical there is the forethought of how to handle what is yet to come.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ardennes posted:

I do think there is a bit more of a respect for nature (but lets not go too far...) in Oregon as well as a tendency towards nostalgia. So you have things policy like the urban growth boundary (which is reasonable on its basic premise), but not the serious type of spending that such a policy is going to require over decades.

Admittedly, just adding some more suburbs may slow housing prices a bit but it is going not help the other issue the metro area is facing if not will exacerbate them. Portland freeways really can't take on another mass expansion of exburbs. Honestly, the only real fix would probably be the development of denser public housing on the scale approaching closer to Singapore (maybe not as extreme but that is the idea). The current system of handfuls of affordable units in new complexes obviously isn't cutting it.

Portland was a in some ways a city that got pulled into the future despite itself and honestly I am skeptical there is the forethought of how to handle what is yet to come.

Yeah I should clarify that I don't think getting rid of the UGB is a good or desirable or helpful thing. I just think that it's going to be a casualty of the way things are going. There's plenty of land developers and land owners that are probably salivating at how much they can make off of all that farmland and sooner or later they're going to start to beat on the "build build build" propaganda machine and housing costs are going to be a great talking point.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

xrunner posted:

Yeah I should clarify that I don't think getting rid of the UGB is a good or desirable or helpful thing. I just think that it's going to be a casualty of the way things are going. There's plenty of land developers and land owners that are probably salivating at how much they can make off of all that farmland and sooner or later they're going to start to beat on the "build build build" propaganda machine and housing costs are going to be a great talking point.

I could see them simply just expanding the boundary rather than scraping it but as far as Washington County goes...those roads are already clogged. It maybe won't stop them, but it is pretty much just going to result in dropping cars into a traffic jam because there is simply no other easy route to get to the rest of the city. (84 and the 5 are at capacity, and the 217 is a joke)

It really isn't any better in the rest of the region (maybe they will resurrect the Mt.Hood freeway from the grave...).

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

It's funny how I read it as being carefully crafted to NOT throw them under the bus.

What a bunch of babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah, I'm already noticing congestion starting to happen between Forest Grove and highway 26. That's cropped up in just the last couple of years.

Ardennes posted:

I do think there is a bit more of a respect for nature (but lets not go too far...) in Oregon as well as a tendency towards nostalgia.

Not only is there not the forethought of how to handle further growth, I don't think there's the will to plan for it.