Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Just spent some time running around and getting to all the corners of the world to find the towns I should not be anywhere near yet. It involved a lot of fleeing and a lot of death but I've now got the whole map revealed and all the towns visited. :toot:

Therion still dodge tanks like a boss even when things are over twice his level, it's pretty amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I did not realize the power of the Runelord until Cyrus slapped a boss with the Sorc's elm def down skill and the Runelord weapon buff hitting the boss afterwards for 26k damage. I assume the damage scales with elm attack seeing as it >only< hit for about 6-7k from H'aanit's attacks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Regy Rusty posted:

Just walked right past Ophilia huh, that's cold

the right choice, though

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
The conversation in Primrose's chapter 2 between the priest and the godfather guy is all kinds of :stonk:.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Tressa spoiler:

Bold of them to go with "Tressa discovers capitalism" as a story

Tressa Is the one and only true ethical capitalist

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Regy Rusty posted:

Just walked right past Ophilia huh, that's cold

Hell yeah I did. Don't need no boring clerics stinking up my party of cool people.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

A small request: Are there any maps that show the suggested level for the various zones? If there's not, I may have to make one myself...

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Finally got the soundtrack in the mail but I can't listen to it all before I beat the game. :rip:

I've been taking things slow and when you switch people out all the time the game really gets a lot better I feel. Basically everyone on my team is viable at this point, just have to spend a minute swapping equipment.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Really, the rogue/noble path actions actually have a pretty great system going where having 2 that do the same thing in a party is viable and encouraged

For instance, inquire/scrutinize requirements can differ massively.
In alfyns hometown, there is a old lady who is super hard to scrutinize, only giving a 14% chance to a level 14 cyrus. Alfyn can inquire her almost right off the bat.
And a lot of currently inquireable npcs can give 70% or lower chances to a cyrus.
Ophelia/primrose have a similar thing going.

With H'aanit and Olberic, its different.
H'aanit can challenge anyone, but she is locked out of her class skills and normal attacks and can only use powerful monsters and items.

Olberic has full access to all his class abilities and weapons, but is level limited by his challenge skill.

Therion and Tessa is where the whole thing breaks down. Although tressa can gather cash for reputation restoration after stealing attempts.

UndusMundae
Nov 27, 2007

Bobulus posted:

A small request: Are there any maps that show the suggested level for the various zones? If there's not, I may have to make one myself...

I want to say a lot of the danger levels scale as you complete story episodes. The forest area outside of the arena town was 28 before I finished one of the second episodes, and afterwards jumped to 31.

The side areas are static though, I believe!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is it just me or does magic sort of taper off as time goes on? Once you start unlocking the divine skills they just seem so much better on the physical classes. Right now I can get 16k Warrior hits on a single target, I hit the damage cap on all targets for a thief (don't have the unlock skill yet), with zero buffs/debuffs, while my Scholar only hits for just over 8k total with a double spell. The Cleric and Scholar divine skills both require extensive planning and setup, and basically give up your action to make another better, and you need a Merchant along to maximize their use.

nessin fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 16, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Collected over $20k from an elephant, hell yeah.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Starting to get to the second ring of towns. So much gear needed for my party now that everyone has like 3 weapon types. What's a good way to get tons of cash without like, savescumming steals or anything like that?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I wonder if you can collect money from one of those cats. I haven't tried yet because I'm usually trying to kill them before they escape.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zerilan posted:

Starting to get to the second ring of towns. So much gear needed for my party now that everyone has like 3 weapon types. What's a good way to get tons of cash without like, savescumming steals or anything like that?
You can get like 25k from each of the optional bosses in the chapter 1 area mini dungeons with a thief Tressa. That's where I got all my cash, anyway :v:

Also can I just repeat how impressed I am at the chapter 2 stuff? Wow! The areas, the fights, the NPCs, the story. Everything just got 10x better and I'm loving it! The only thing I'm not loving so far are the party skits with H'aanit becausen of her incrediblyen annoyingen to readen texten. I'm considering swapping her for Therion or Cyrus, but then I'd have to re-shuffle my entire team's subclasses and.... oh my god the choices are overwhelming

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zerilan posted:

Collect from powerful mobs/bosses. The third Thief passive doubles the amount of money from Collect too. Steal vendor trash from NPCs. Simply have Tressa in your party for passive cash (it actually can get pretty sizeable later on). Do side dungeons for loot so you don't have to buy as much. Be bold and explore higher-level areas if you think you can handle it, the cash from those foes can be solid.

I was freaking out about being broke and a bit of exploring later and I'm over 100k now and just snagged a sweet knife from my latest dungeon dive to boot.

Your Computer posted:

Also can I just repeat how impressed I am at the chapter 2 stuff? Wow! The areas, the fights, the NPCs, the story. Everything just got 10x better and I'm loving it! The only thing I'm not loving so far are the party skits with H'aanit becausen of her incrediblyen annoyingen to readen texten. I'm considering swapping her for Therion or Cyrus, but then I'd have to re-shuffle my entire team's subclasses and.... oh my god the choices are overwhelming

Alfyn's C2 boss was the first time I got a Game Over, though I skipped most of the shrines at that point. It made me get them all and also better gear up and figure out my tactics. Of course then Primrose's C2 boss ended up incredibly easily.

Still need to get around to the other six, but so much to explore...

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 17, 2018

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Pharohman777 posted:

Therion and Tessa is where the whole thing breaks down. Although tressa can gather cash for reputation restoration after stealing attempts.

Generally anything that Therion has a terrible steal chance of can be bought for decent price with Tressa. In the other direction, sometimes Tressa's prices are astronomically high or she just outright can't buy an item at all and Therion can steal it with usually some half-decent odds.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Generally anything that Therion has a terrible steal chance of can be bought for decent price with Tressa. In the other direction, sometimes Tressa's prices are astronomically high or she just outright can't buy an item at all and Therion can steal it with usually some half-decent odds.

Yeah. Notably you can buy the SP Regen scarf from Tressas mom for like 8k while Therion still has a 0% chance to steal it for me at level 18.

I'm definitely coming around on Tressas after the early reports of Therion supremacy. She just gets you so much money.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
If you're grinding for cash just grab the Cleric skill that makes it easier to run, put Therion in your party, then go chest raid the dungeons in the level 45 zones. You'll come out with mostly the best in slot for everything (still haven't found a good spear).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How's Therion in party skits?

I'm considering putting him on my team to replace H'aanit but I'm worried that I'll just be replacing one boring character with another. But... the purple chests.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Okay, so i started playing Bravely Default to not buy this and also i never finished BD. Im at the summoner asterisk boss and keep getting wiped.

I should just get Octopath, right?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also the loving damage cap is such a stupid design thing. Especially in this game where you just have a late-game skill slot tax to get rid of it.

It was obnoxious in Bravely Default/Second, and is obnoxious here.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is there a way to tell what stuff is ok to sell and what stuff I should hold on to?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Also the loving damage cap is such a stupid design thing. Especially in this game where you just have a late-game skill slot tax to get rid of it.

It was obnoxious in Bravely Default/Second, and is obnoxious here.
If I remember correctly, wasn't Bravely designed with the damage cap in mind? Like, the only way you could break it was with the extremely overpowered streetpass thing right? I can't remember breaking it (no streetpass) and can't remember it ever being a problem.

Sounds like a bigger problem in this game though, potentially.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

If I remember correctly, wasn't Bravely designed with the damage cap in mind? Like, the only way you could break it was with the extremely overpowered streetpass thing right? I can't remember breaking it (no streetpass) and can't remember it ever being a problem.

Bravely largely broke down to figuring out ways to get around it with multiple hit abilities etc. Which also meant jobs that relied on single big hits (Like Summoners) were garbage.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Housh posted:

Is there a way to tell what stuff is ok to sell and what stuff I should hold on to?

There is a dedicated icon for junk, it's automatically sorted on the top of your inventory when you go to sell stuff, and it literally says will fetch a X price when sold.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does the Merchant passive skill to save items work on Alfyn's concoct ingredients?

Your Computer posted:

Much like pre-Zodiac version FFXII, Bravely was all about working around the damage cap using multi-hit abilities and taking multiple actions per turn. In the late game, one big hit is always worse than multiple hits, even if that big hit reaches 9999 and the multiple hits fall short of the cap.

Zore posted:

Bravely largely broke down to figuring out ways to get around it with multiple hit abilities etc. Which also meant jobs that relied on single big hits (Like Summoners) were garbage.

Bravely Second put in the Wizard job probably for just this reason--to let mages compete with physical classes. It worked a bit too well because offensive magic is godly in Bravely Second.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Wow, max boosted envenom is like just giving a boss a loving death sentence.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I just hit the cap with Olberic in his chapter 3 midboss, and it's not like I have a special ultra-clever build or anything... But at that point the passive for overcoming that was no longer a clear waste of a slot.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I tried to do that optional boss fight one more time with my super low level team, this time with a build more focused on survivability via double Sidestep Merchants, lots of BP generation, and defense buffing via dance, but it still wasn't enough to last too far into the AoE phase of the fight. I guess I'll have to give up on that for now until I have some of the stronger passives unlocked for characters. It's a shame, too, because getting this one out of the way early would make it easier to tackle the other three.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Holy crap killing a Cait is worth like 2 levels on each of your characters

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Three times today I've had over 10 minutes of effort trying to grind down shrine bosses wasted on a single turn of a hosed up order. No Starseer, it isn't reasonable for you to start your super power at the end of one turn and have the first three actions of the next.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am never going to be able to decide between starting as Alfyn or Cyrus :negative:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

I am never going to be able to decide between starting as Alfyn or Cyrus :negative:

Just flip a coin there's no way your starting character is worth agonizing over

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh man I gotta put Olberic in Dancer to learn that counterattack passive

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am overwhelmed by how good this game is

Honestly competed with p5 for rpg of the generation

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
Just in case anyone doesn't know yet, whenever you encounter a Cait it's best practice to just use one of your Soulstone (M)s. Any element will do 11 damage and kill it, and I don't think they can miss.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Maxy Boy posted:

Just in case anyone doesn't know yet, whenever you encounter a Cait it's best practice to just use one of your Soulstone (M)s. Any element will do 11 damage and kill it, and I don't think they can miss.

That's been working for me. Don't attack it with anything else, don't attack the other enemies, just grab a Soulstone M and whang it at his face. I don't know if that'll work forever, but it hasn't failed yet.

If you don't have a Soulstone M, I have also killed one by using Tressa's ability to transfer BP to Cyrus right away, 'pass'-ing any other characters between them, and then using one of his double-hit elemental skills.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Whelp. Finished all the Chapter 3 quests now. My God, except for Tressa's, they weren't very light-hearted at all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Folt The Bolt posted:

Whelp. Finished all the Chapter 3 quests now. My God, except for Tressa's, they weren't very light-hearted at all...

The dark middle chapters.