Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lorini posted:

Sorry it’s not an exploit. IRL, water blocks gases. In the game, water blocks gases. Where's the exploit??

I really hope this is a troll post.

I imagine they're gonna patch that out later on because it looks dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The weird water mechanics have been on the to-do list to redo properly since the start, but I doubt that particular thing is going to get patched because water and gasses can't occupy the same square, so that's the thing that happens instead.

Also regarding my previous post, it's really easy to make a timed suit checkpoit: make a 1 way door just past the suit checkpoint, then on another level build the duplicant checkpoint that's researched somewhere in automation, set it to only open a couple seconds before night starts and close just before night ends. That way dupes can run in freely, but will only stop working once nighttime hits.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Speaking of slime chat, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to run a mushroom farm without doing the cheater move and drowning your slime container.

I found some pictures online that appear to be using some kind of automated material handling, but I was hoping I could do something easier or lower tech. Maybe my mushroom farm needs to be an exosuit only zone?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yes I appreciate the correction, while water and gas can't exist in the same space, the water column is an exploit. It's been around for a long time and I don't think it's going to get patched any time soon, but you never know. I didn't think they were going to change fertilizer natural gas generation either but they did.

I think I'm going to set this game down for awhile. I have nearly 800 hours in it and because doing stuff has become so automatic for me, I keep playing it instead of tackling other games in my backlog. I'll check in with you folks when the next update comes out. Have fun.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Even if it did/does get patched, there's nothing stopping you from taking it slightly further and this would always work. (barring addition of soluble gases) 4000kg of water or a reduced amount of petroleum/crude oil for a 100% perfect airlock.

The game really needs forcefields.

e.

TehSaurus posted:

Speaking of slime chat, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to run a mushroom farm without doing the cheater move and drowning your slime container.

How exactly is 'drowning your slime container' cheating? I like to see it as the fluid pressing down on the slime enough that it doesn't offgas anymore. Like how if you put it in a room that has an air pressure higher than 4kg/tile, it won't offgas.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 16, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
here's a spoiler: molten plastic stays molten at low temperature and doesn't flow. unbottle some until it's 2 tiles tall, then put a ceiling in.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Ambaire posted:

How exactly is 'drowning your slime container' cheating? I like to see it as the fluid pressing down on the slime enough that it doesn't offgas anymore. Like how if you put it in a room that has an air pressure higher than 4kg/tile, it won't offgas.

I guess there are two things. First I believe the behavior is unintended. Second, all the pools I see people use are too shallow. Maybe I'll just bury mine in ten tiles of water so I can feel better about it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I just put my slime container in a 2x1 room behind a powered airlock and some deodorizes on the outside and it works well enough

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

How about a proper, real-life airlock/contamination chamber?

A room with mechanized airlocks on two sides. Dupe walks into the room from the contaminated side, the door closes, they are sprayed with chlorine, then the chamber is emptied of chlorine and the the inner door opens.

Chlorine and power as inputs, requires refined metal to craft.

Anyway, something along these lines would take the tediousness out of dealing with toxic gasses as well as germs.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

A room with mechanized airlocks on two sides. Dupe walks into the room from the contaminated side, the door closes, they are sprayed with chlorine, then the chamber is emptied of chlorine and the the inner door opens.

Anyway, something along these lines would take the tediousness out of dealing with toxic gasses as well as germs.

I've thought about this a bunch and it just seems like a lot of extra effort, but it probably isn't that bad. Just need two air pumps really. Of course then the dope will probably drop the slime in the decontamination chamber and screw it up. I'll try Truga's suggestion first. Just have to rearrange a bunch of stuff in my current layout.

I did enjoy that my germ covered guys took three handwashings and a shower to finally get clean, though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

enraged_camel posted:

people do this, kinda: pumping poo poo out of a room takes for-loving-ever. meanwhile, while gasses are destroyed by things, water is not, so closing a bunch of doors is a real good way to fill a room with water from below and then close the last door at the top to destroy all the gas that's bottled up there.

open all the doors below your leaky floor again and you have yourself a vacuum room.

it won't clean the dupes, on its own (so put a sink in it) but it's a 100% foolproof airlock that doesn't leak and isn't as "cheaty" :v:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
That's why they do the |=| airlocks. The game destroys anything in between the horizontal doors that open together. So it's an exploit/bug that works kinds like a proper airlock.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Any tips for keeping dreko locked up? They keep walking over the air lock, then when a dupe opens it wandering out the door.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well that didn't last long.

Patch notes

Anyone have any idea what this means?

quote:

Power transformers can only provide up to 1kw to the downstream side.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ratzap posted:

That's why they do the |=| airlocks. The game destroys anything in between the horizontal doors that open together. So it's an exploit/bug that works kinds like a proper airlock.

I'm not sure if that's true because I have a refinery room with a quad-airlock entrance and some natural gas still seeps through each time a dupe leaves the room.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I'm not sure if that's true because I have a refinery room with a quad-airlock entrance and some natural gas still seeps through each time a dupe leaves the room.

That lock does not work. I've had chlorine everywhere using that lock. Which is why I went to the exploit. I know there's a way to do a pressure lock, but that is a ton of work. Hopefully they'll leave the exploit in until they have another solution, they've done that in the past.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lorini posted:

Well that didn't last long.

Patch notes

Anyone have any idea what this means?
There was apparently some kind of thing where you could suck 4kw of energy out if a transformer. I didn't get it and now I don't have to.

quote:

Dupes should no longer be missing mouths when idling during break time.
I have no mouth and I must pee.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

quote:

Fixed a crash that could occur when a Dupe was having a conversation with a corpse as it was being delivered to a grave.

Like reading @TheStrangeLog

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

Did you power them? I've left mine unpowered and not a thing has come through it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ratzap posted:

Did you power them? I've left mine unpowered and not a thing has come through it.

How many cycles is your colony?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Why is the electrolyzer experiencing max gas pressure? There's mesh tiles below it and there's a vacuum where the lower pump is. Any help is much appreciated.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lorini posted:

Why is the electrolyzer experiencing max gas pressure? There's mesh tiles below it and there's a vacuum where the lower pump is. Any help is much appreciated.

It has 2366.3g oxygen around it. You need to pump the gasses out.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Here is the entire set up

There's a vacuum beneath the electrolyzer and there's a pump as well. The gas pipe is ventilating to an area that is not showing max gas pressure. Why won't the oxygen sink down to the bottom level where the gas pump is?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lorini posted:

Here is the entire set up

There's a vacuum beneath the electrolyzer and there's a pump as well. The gas pipe is ventilating to an area that is not showing max gas pressure. Why won't the oxygen sink down to the bottom level where the gas pump is?

Pressure doesn't move that fast.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Lorini posted:

How many cycles is your colony?

114 I think. It been in since cycle 70ish.

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah, the gas/fluid model is primitive in the extreme. You can have massive pressure differences just tiles apart that just sit there and laugh at airflow tiles.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

It's worked before, and this is the video by Cryptic Fox that introduced me to it. Maybe something changed in the new patch. Very frustrating, this base is hosed now.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Does the lower section stay at vacuum if you leave the pump off for a short while?

Edit: I partially ask because I sort of remember that setup having an atmo sensor at the bottom, too, set to something like “above 1200”.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 17, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Does the lower section stay at vacuum if you leave the pump off for a short while?

Edit: I partially ask because I sort of remember that setup having an atmo sensor at the bottom, too, set to something like “above 1200”.

Good idea, I'll try that.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

quote:

Fixed a crash that could occur when a Dupe was having a conversation with a corpse as it was being delivered to a grave.

I hope this still happens just without the crash.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hmm, duplicants dying while trapped in boiling water is pretty disturbing in spite of the cartoony graphics.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

some dude made an excellent post about why QoL system sucks

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/93668-i-hope-the-qol-system-gets-a-large-review-because-its-taking-a-route-i-dont-like/

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

lmao at the dude with the Waifu avatar immediately diving in to white-knight Klei over constructive feedback received in a feedback forum.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I dunno it sounds like that guys looking at a bare bones "hey this is what we're building on" update and is expecting it to be super in depth.

I'm not expecting it to be in depth for a while.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

They can either only make major updates on an erratic schedule or make updates on a reliable six week schedule which all won't be major. They've chosen the six week schedule probably because the number one complaint about EA games is erratic unreliable updates.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I had a head-scratcher about a situation probably no one will encounter. Short version is, you know the “water sieve will output water at 40C” thing? That’s true if you pump in polluted water. If you pump in clean water, the output water is the same temp as the input water.

To answer the obvious question, I was trying to use my existing piping structure after I found a steam geyser.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
that's what showers (or algae terrariums) are for :)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well the electrolyzers were fine with the hot water, but the metal refinery and its output pipe kept melting.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

New patch

Of note

quote:

Solid doors only allow sand to fall through them if they are sideways.

Starting a new game to find out what that means exactly

e: as far as I can see, it doesn't mean anything much.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 20, 2018

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I’m assuming the doorframe of a vertical door stops falling sand. An open horizontal door won’t. Just guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Dogen posted:

I’m assuming the doorframe of a vertical door stops falling sand. An open horizontal door won’t. Just guessing.

Yeah this.

Also Rooms no longer require a door to be a room. Which is kind of strange but OK.

And not noted, but the job board can now be assigned a priority.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 20, 2018