Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I get why people might like the punisher, the comparison with the classic deathwish movies totally makes sense. But without any context raiding a jail to shoot essentially unarmed inmates while wearing gear like that is pretty low even for a revenge fantasy.

The context is that they're at the jail for a specific person Evil Hydra Steve Rogers, but the prisoners get released to stop/delay them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Did they ever follow up on the Punisher joining up with Hydra during Secret Empire.

Was he mind controlled into doing it?
Or did they prey on his love of Cap ala Deadpool to get him to join?
Or did he sign up as an excuse to shoot people?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Question IRL posted:

Did they ever follow up on the Punisher joining up with Hydra during Secret Empire.

Was he mind controlled into doing it?
Or did they prey on his love of Cap ala Deadpool to get him to join?
Or did he sign up as an excuse to shoot people?

Option C. And they are addressing it the current run.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's probably a safe bet that anything the Punisher did was because it was an excuse to shoot people.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How did people take Dakken completely massacring Frank back then

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I was away and missed Scott Pilgrim chat, and I've never even read the comics, but would just like to say it's awesome because River City Ransom is my favorite NES game. Also the Scott Pilgrim game they made after the movie came out was as close as anyone had come to an actual RCR sequel. Of course now we have RCR Underground which is good but I think I actually liked the Scott Pilgrim game more.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Calaveron posted:

How did people take Dakken completely massacring Frank back then

They probably called that a wash.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

davebo posted:

I was away and missed Scott Pilgrim chat, and I've never even read the comics, but would just like to say it's awesome because River City Ransom is my favorite NES game. Also the Scott Pilgrim game they made after the movie came out was as close as anyone had come to an actual RCR sequel. Of course now we have RCR Underground which is good but I think I actually liked the Scott Pilgrim game more.

The Scott Pilgrim game had lovely pixel art but it was a goddamn chore to play. It took ages to clear a stage and the leveling progression was about 1/3rd as fast as it should've been.

Grinding shouldn't be part of a beat-em-up.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

The Scott Pilgrim game had lovely pixel art but it was a goddamn chore to play. It took ages to clear a stage and the leveling progression was about 1/3rd as fast as it should've been.

Grinding shouldn't be part of a beat-em-up.

Well that would have made it a pretty far departure from the original. I was just happy I didn't have to spend 10 minutes trying to inaccurately write down the a huge password to save my status.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Divine Right #1 (1997)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Guardians of the Galaxy #150: The Nova Corps is in the middle of a battle with the Fraternity of Raptors. The Raptors' ship has a force field that seems impenetrable, but Ant-Man theorizes that since they can see the ship, light must be able to penetrate the shield, so he goes subatomic and rides a light beam onto the enemy ship.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Why are they all wearing Nova Corps outfits?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Why are they all wearing Nova Corps outfits?

The Nova Corps is being slowly reformed but there's a lot of corruption so the Guardians get commissioned to help find who's playing dirty space cop.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wait

the guardians.

also isnt worldmind trapped in another universe now? Are the nova corps just using the uniform with no powers?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Aren’t the guardians notoriously incompetent

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Calaveron posted:

Aren’t the guardians notoriously incompetent

You're thinking of the Green Lantern Corps.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

You're thinking of the Green Lantern Corps.

I was!
Aren’t the short blue dudes that run the corps notoriously incompetent

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Diet Poison posted:

From today's X-23 #1. More "mildly amusing" than funny, but it gave me a sensible chuckle at the bus stop.

Who is it? Chemistro?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

wait

the guardians.

also isnt worldmind trapped in another universe now? Are the nova corps just using the uniform with no powers?

It's kind of vague? Rich Rider's running around with Nova force somehow, and Sam Alexander over on Earth has a special helmet that explicitly has its own power supply. In those panels I posted earlier, Rocket has a helmet that apparently works that he just pulled out of storage, but mostly everyone else is just using their own weapons while wearing Nova costumes.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Archyduke posted:

I liked in Matt Fraction's Iron Man when he had Tony fight Dr. Octopus and realize that the silly-looking animal-men that Spider-Man goofs on are actually extraordinarily capable and dangerous people.

Although on the flipside I also like that one Infinity Gauntlet Silver-Surfer tie-in where he just picks the Rhino up by his horn and flops him all around. I recall somebody getting beaned with a gumball machine in that one too but I forget who was beaning who.

...somewhat undercut by Superior Foes of Spider-Man where many of them are barely competent losers, albeit amusing ones.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jng2058 posted:

...somewhat undercut by Superior Foes of Spider-Man where many of them are barely competent losers, albeit amusing ones.

Yeah, but weren’t those mostly the clown-tier villains like Paste Pot Pete and Stilt Girl? I’m pretty sure it ended with Otto realizing he couldn’t defeat the Goblin, which is why he put Peter back in control.

I wish I had a link to it, but that led to one of the best “picture is worth a thousand words” panels.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yes, thank you!

Sooo much hatred in that eye.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

TwoPair posted:

[b]The Raptors' ship has a force field that seems impenetrable, but Ant-Man theorizes that since they can see the ship, light must be able to penetrate the shield, so he goes subatomic and rides a light beam onto the enemy ship.

This is exactly what happens in JLA Rock of Ages with Atom riding a flare shot by Green Arrow to get through Darkseid's forcefield. Nearly word for word.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BioTech posted:

This is exactly what happens in JLA Rock of Ages with Atom riding a flare shot by Green Arrow to get through Darkseid's forcefield. Nearly word for word.

There's a cool sequence in DK2 where the Atom rides on an electron (I think?) to get into a building.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

prefect posted:

There's a cool sequence in DK2 where the Atom rides on an electron (I think?) to get into a building.

He's done that since his original Silver Age appearances -- traveling through telephone connections by riding electrons along the wires.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I have a book entitled "The Physics of Superheroes" and it spends a good deal of space on Ray Palmer. Partially because he's a physics professor so the author plays favorites, but partially because of how much of what he does is scientifically sound if you excuse his ability to change his own size and mass. The telephone travel absolutely works for instance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Selachian posted:

He's done that since his original Silver Age appearances -- traveling through telephone connections by riding electrons along the wires.

Fun fact: individual electrons in a wire actually only move at a speed of about a few feet per hour. He's gonna be in for a long trip.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Choco1980 posted:

I have a book entitled "The Physics of Superheroes" and it spends a good deal of space on Ray Palmer. Partially because he's a physics professor so the author plays favorites, but partially because of how much of what he does is scientifically sound if you excuse his ability to change his own size and mass. The telephone travel absolutely works for instance.

And then there was the time Venom and Carnage had a fight over the internet lines by putting super tiny tendrils through the phone lines. And I think it showed up on a Times Square TV.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BioTech posted:

Apropos of nothing, like 75% of panels from Morrison’s JLA run could be in the badass panels thread, but occasionally it’s funny too (if you like Scotsmen making fun of their own stereotypes):

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Is there any villain that hates his nemesis more than Norman hates Peter

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

Is there any villain that hates his nemesis more than Norman hates Peter

The Monarch?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Some iterations of Lex, maybe?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

:doom:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Siegel and Shuster?

Sorry, missed ‘villain’ in the question in my rush to make a cheap joke.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Oh yeah duh

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:3: at Spidey just hanging there wearing his spider-rucksack and annoying the hell out of JJJ

also;

:ohdear:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Keeshhound posted:

Some iterations of Lex, maybe?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Isn't this the hostess ad where the Hulk murders them all by rolling them up like an asphalt jelly-roll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hello I am reading through the Ultimate line.