Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Open Marriage Night posted:

Hickman loves the New Mutants. If he doesn't want to write the X-Men it's probably because of what an editorial clusterfuck they always seem to be. They'd have to give him the Morrison/Whedon treatment.

So 2-3 years of hands off good stories that are quickly swpet under the rug the next month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Goons were right 100% about X-23, it feels like a continuation of Taylor's book.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Blockhouse posted:

yes god forbid there be any hickman/bendis interaction because the last time was just so terrible

like I'm not a bendis fan at all but c'mon

This was basically onboarding Hickman at Marvel, I'm pretty sure Bendis got his name on the first arc because of the Secret Invasion stuff and that was it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Goons were right 100% about X-23, it feels like a continuation of Taylor's book.

Tamaki is real good and she can absolutely do lots of differing tones. I think people got worried because of the covers and the fact that her She-Hulk book was about trauma survival, but it also had cute stuff like Jen's coping mechanism being watching baking videos on YouTube.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Ok, this is cool: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/peter-parker-as-the-punisher-and-more-marvel-what-ifs-coming-this-fall

Domino having Major Kusanagi's hair in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is incredible. :pusheen:

Miniseries giving lesser characters a chance and fun projects like this are an excellent direction to take.

Also, echoing the X-23 love. Just a fantastic comic, and some of the little touches in the art and lettering really set it apart beyond it having an intriguing plot and compelling characterisation.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Metalshark posted:

Ok, this is cool: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/peter-parker-as-the-punisher-and-more-marvel-what-ifs-coming-this-fall

Domino having Major Kusanagi's hair in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is incredible. :pusheen:

They should've given Cable a single Batou eye.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i will *cough* accept this offering of major domino kusanagi for *clears throat, tugs collar* no reason

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Happy to see What If is back, even if "What If Flash Thompson was bitten by the spider" has already been done twice.

Curious what the hell that Ghost Rider one is supposed to be.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gavok posted:

Happy to see What If is back, even if "What If Flash Thompson was bitten by the spider" has already been done twice.

Curious what the hell that Ghost Rider one is supposed to be.

I was gonna say, "how the hell has there not been a Flash as Spider-Man" comic before?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

I remember the one where he bullies Peter into making him a costume and becomes "the Spider" then Peter rigs up all these gadgets including Doc Ock arms to stop him when he goes evil. What was the other one?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Has there been a comic where Gwen Stacy becomes Spider-man I type out like an idiot.

Harry Osborne?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember the one where he bullies Peter into making him a costume and becomes "the Spider" then Peter rigs up all these gadgets including Doc Ock arms to stop him when he goes evil. What was the other one?

There was a really early What If about different people getting bitten instead of Peter.

- Flash accidentally kills Crusher Hogan in the ring, but then becomes a superhero. He decides that physical force is enough to get by, meaning that when being dropped by Vulture during a fight, he has no webbing and falls to his death.

- Betty Brant has Peter help her make gadgets because even though she digs fighting crime, she can't bring herself to actually fight anyone. When the burglar runs by, she's out of webbing and is too afraid to hit him. After Uncle Ben dies, she quits out of guilt.

- John Jameson becomes a public-identity superhero named Spider Jameson due to his dad's marketing. He uses a jetpack instead of webbing. Someone else takes his spot as an astronaut, meaning John has to take the Spider-Man role when the original Chameleon plot happens. He saves the rocket, but at the cost of his own life.

Then there's an epilogue showing that in all three realities, Peter Parker secretly kept the spider. He extracts its venom to make himself into Spider-Man.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Gavok posted:

There was a really early What If about different people getting bitten instead of Peter.

- Flash accidentally kills Crusher Hogan in the ring, but then becomes a superhero. He decides that physical force is enough to get by, meaning that when being dropped by Vulture during a fight, he has no webbing and falls to his death.

- Betty Brant has Peter help her make gadgets because even though she digs fighting crime, she can't bring herself to actually fight anyone. When the burglar runs by, she's out of webbing and is too afraid to hit him. After Uncle Ben dies, she quits out of guilt.

- John Jameson becomes a public-identity superhero named Spider Jameson due to his dad's marketing. He uses a jetpack instead of webbing. Someone else takes his spot as an astronaut, meaning John has to take the Spider-Man role when the original Chameleon plot happens. He saves the rocket, but at the cost of his own life.

Then there's an epilogue showing that in all three realities, Peter Parker secretly kept the spider. He extracts its venom to make himself into Spider-Man.

I kind of like how all three of these What Ifs remind us that Peter is the One True Spider-Man and everyone else (except for Miles because he's awesome) is a loving jabroni.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Covok posted:

I kind of like how all three of these What Ifs remind us that Peter is the One True Spider-Man and everyone else (except for Miles because he's awesome) is a loving jabroni.

And also that the one where the woman gets bit, she's too weak and sensitive to actually fight people. :rolleyes:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Gaz-L posted:

And also that the one where the woman gets bit, she's too weak and sensitive to actually fight people. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, that's sexist. Kind of skipped over it on my way to suck Peter's cock, metaphorically speaking. My bad. It didn't even register. Which is bad. Sorry.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So... Gwen is... Ghost-Spider now? That is not a good name. That is the opposite of such a thing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

So... Gwen is... Ghost-Spider now? That is not a good name. That is the opposite of such a thing.

It kind of works for me after someone pointed out she is ghost spider...because the "real" Gwen Stacy is dead and she's a spider-woman. Ergo, she is a "ghost" spider.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I mean that works in the same way as spider gwen, in that it's bad. it must be hard to come up with new spider themed names at this point tho

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know, I'd love to see that one get revisited. There's so much potential there. Plus he's 100% certified to have survived Spider-Verse (because he didn't have the powers that the Morluns snack on).

I had an idea for a story that gathered the alternate, non-Spider Peter Parkers together for an adventure.

You'd have Hulk Peter, from Bullet Points, Nova Peter from that one What If?, the aforementioned Spider-Man who got the octopus legs, maybe the hacker one from Powerless, and I'd throw in Peter Parker, Agent of SHIELD from a world where his parents lived and got him into the family business. Plus of course, the Amazing Spider-Man we all know and love.

The villain they're summoned to fight? Another Peter Parker never bitten by the spider, driven by the death of his Uncle he witnessed and was powerless to stop, to try and acquire power of all kinds - physical, political, and metahuman to ensure that he never gets hurt ever again. Basically kind of like the Regent, except of being generic doomsday foe, he's obviously got an emotional stake for our heroes.

In other Spider-related news, it seems that in the latest Renew Your Vows they establish Baby May existed. I imagine that might get followed up on.

Also Spider-Geddon still looks like reheated Spider-Verse, so I'm definitely giving it a pass, even if it is Gage writing it. The 'ooh, there's gonna be deaths' teasing doesn't help at all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, she ain't gonna be called Spider-Woman in the main universe.

edit: And the Rising cartoon isn't being presented as an alternate world, is it? They're gonna have to give her a unique superhero name.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 17, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, she ain't gonna be called Spider-Woman in the main universe.

edit: And the Rising cartoon isn't being presented as an alternate world, is it? They're gonna have to give her a unique superhero name.

Hey, we can have 2 Hawkeyes and 2 Spider-Men, why not 2 Spider-Women?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Well, we also apparently can't have two Wolverines...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Miles is probably getting a new name and they're getting rid of the dual X-Men. Watch your.. name, Kate!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it's been a while since I checked in with miles, but it seemed like he was wanting to drop the spider-man name when last I read his book

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

Miles is probably getting a new name and they're getting rid of the dual X-Men. Watch your.. name, Kate!

She can go back to her soul name Hawkingbird.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Covok posted:

To be fair, this was really early on in What If and nearly every ending was, "Things suck because it isn't like how it's supposed to happen."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

To be fair, this was really early on in What If and nearly every ending was, "Things suck because it isn't like how it's supposed to happen."

Early "What If?" could have easily been re-titled "Holy poo poo, Bullet Dodged" instead.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

TwoPair posted:

Did we have two concurrent Spider-Women, or was Jess just using her real name at the time?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Marvel Rising trailer had a lot of good chemistry between Kamala and Doreen. Good BFFs.

Since Doreen is already going to be in the MCU, she should be in Kamala's movie

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

rantmo posted:

Did we have two concurrent Spider-Women, or was Jess just using her real name at the time?

Kinda sorta? I mean Gwen was Spider-Woman at the same time Jessica was Spider-Woman, they just lived on separate Earths.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Can anyone with experience with OOS items on Amazon tell me if the first Avengers Hickman omnibus is likely to be restocked? I only recently got into buying physical comics, so I have no idea if Amazon is legitimately getting more, or if it's just a ploy to hog pre-orders on the off-chance they do get more.

I know demand for Hickman's Marvel stuff is high (the price for his Fantastic Four omnibuses :gonk:), but it's still crazy how rare this book is, only a year after printing. Now I feel like an idiot for not buying it for MSRP at my local comic book store a few weeks ago.

I would think the fact that Vol. 2 comes out tomorrow would create decent demand for the first one that Marvel would want to capitalize on, but I have no idea. Like I said, I'm new to this stuff. Even the equivalent trades are relatively expensive, considering the omnibus has Avengers + NA + Infinity, so I'd rather not go that way unless I have to.

tldr: does temporarily out of stock really mean temporary, or "we don't know if we're getting more"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Order it, there's always the chance that they restock and the price goes back up over $100. They did reprint the Kirby FF omni #2 when #3 came out so you never know. Plus IW was heavily based on Hickman's run so they're more likely to reprint it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

TwoPair posted:

Kinda sorta? I mean Gwen was Spider-Woman at the same time Jessica was Spider-Woman, they just lived on separate Earths.

I meant Julia Carpenter from back in the day.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

it sucks trying to find an omnibus after its release. I managed to find Fraction's Hawkeye and FF at a con for decent prices, but that's about it.

Target's website is good if you're trying to get new ones. Got the GMo Batman one for $45, and the Seven Soldiers one will be the same price in August, compared to $63 or so everywhere else on a $75 cover price.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

it sucks trying to find an omnibus after its release. I managed to find Fraction's Hawkeye and FF at a con for decent prices, but that's about it.

Target's website is good if you're trying to get new ones. Got the GMo Batman one for $45, and the Seven Soldiers one will be the same price in August, compared to $63 or so everywhere else on a $75 cover price.

I've long warned people not to snooze on any OSHC they might be interested in. Just looking at the pricing history on so many Marvel Omnis is enough to make me preorder any and all books I'm even vaguely interested in.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

X-O posted:

Early "What If?" could have easily been re-titled "Holy poo poo, Bullet Dodged" instead.

For the hell of it, here's the first eight issues:

1) Spider-Man joins the Fantastic Four. Sue ends up leaving Reed for Namor.

2) Hulk retains the mind of Banner. This leads to Banner, Reed and Xavier being depowered while the big three Marvel super-teams don't exist. Ben Grimm becomes a rampaging, mindless version of Thing.

3) The Avengers go their separate ways after Hulk leaves. Iron Man dies from exertion in a fight against Namor and Hulk.

4) The Invaders remain together and... gently caress if I can remember. I think things work out okay and it was made canon, but it was boring as hell.

5) Captain America and Bucky make it through WWII. Rogers starts up SHIELD, Bucky becomes the new Cap, Bucky dies and Rogers goes into retirement. Oh, and Nick Fury is dead too.

6) The Fantastic Four get very different superpowers. Reed is stuck in the body of Dr. Doom and feels like Sue could never love someone so ugly.

7) Different people become Spider-Man. They all end in disaster.

8) Electro figures out that Daredevil is blind. It... actually has a happy ending! Crazy, since Daredevil What Ifs are usually super depressing.

From there the series got a bit more upbeat on average, like with Agents of Atlas, Jane Foster Thor and Rick Jones Hulk.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Waffleman_ posted:

The Marvel Rising trailer had a lot of good chemistry between Kamala and Doreen. Good BFFs.

Since Doreen is already going to be in the MCU, she should be in Kamala's movie

I like they kept Doreen's thicccness. It is intresting they gave Gwen Gwenpool's pink dye job.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Gavok posted:

1) Spider-Man joins the Fantastic Four. Sue ends up leaving Reed for Namor.

Every single “What If?” story should end with “Sue ends up leaving Reed for Namor.”

Covok
May 27, 2013

head58 posted:

Every single “What If?” story should end with “Sue ends up leaving Reed for Namor.”

"What if Galactus ate Eternity"

The End: “Sue ends up leaving Reed for Namor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
What if Wolverine had a claw that came out of his dick?

Sue leaves Reed for Namor.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 17, 2018