Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Endorph posted:

nobody said that

Now that I'm more awake you're probably right, sorry for misinterpreting the tone of a couple of the posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Space Flower posted:

that's the rub of it, to me. like, why do we use this super presumptuous word that assumes we were present for the creation of a work? especially in anime compared to manga, there are tons of perspectives and angles at play. and honestly "we're gonna do this for the fans" seems so good and pure to me when a creator just outright says it. everyone calls Bebe's appearance in madomagi rebellion fanservice when it wasn't some magically corporate decision. Shinbo says it was in the initial script when they received it, and Urobuchi just goes, "yeah i saw all this fanart of them together and I thought it was cute!" Bebe has a very tangible narrative role in how she plays the red herring when Homura is searching for the culprit, as well as explaining why Mami is so composed and strong (you could say she really has her head on her shoulders) in the new world: she's not torn apart by loneliness and the loss of her family, she has someone to protect and live for.

Ever since Rebellion I've honestly hated the word for how much people just immediately go to the reaction of "ah, it's fanservice" as if that writes off the need to pursue any further thought.

Rebellion is also kind of a weird case in general, since it deliberately lays on some of the fanservice elements a little too heavily as a signal to the audience that something isn't quite right.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waci posted:

Now that I'm more awake you're probably right, sorry for misinterpreting the tone of a couple of the posts.
No worries. Nobody was really accusing you of anything I feel like, I said I didn't get what you mean but I just meant it can be hard to define what people mean by 'fanservice' sometimes, and then there was a conversation about the kinda vagueries of the term, tone, and why some things have elements that can be read as fanservice. No harm no foul.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Endorph posted:

No worries. Nobody was really accusing you of anything I feel like, I said I didn't get what you mean but I just meant it can be hard to define what people mean by 'fanservice' sometimes, and then there was a conversation about the kinda vagueries of the term, tone, and why some things have elements that can be read as fanservice. No harm no foul.

Oh I meant I thought some people sounded like they were saying fanservice is inherently bad, not that someone was accusing me of anything. Sorry, turns out I'm even worse at posting than at reading

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the thing about fanservice is that you don't mind it so much when you are the fan being serviced

basically

it's still a novelty to me to get some sort of fanservice that is like laser-targeted at things I like but that is happening more and more recently and is very good

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

basically

it's still a novelty to me to get some sort of fanservice that is like laser-targeted at things I like but that is happening more and more recently and is very good

*nodding sagely* it's good when the guys don't take boxer briefs off all the way, but instead leave them scrunched up around their thighs.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:yeah:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

When will there be an anime about sexy HVAC maintenance, for true fan service?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nobunaga Ninja continues apace and is still cute and full of real pathos and silly jokes in good measure.

I'm sad it being so short and based on actual history means there isnt much to say about it, but I am content that it exists at all.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 16, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Jada is the best :3:
https://files.catbox.moe/uxg15l.webm

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Expect My Mom posted:

haikyuu's never had a beach episode

weird

the manga had a beach volleyball crossover with nisekoi

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yama No Susume still very pretty, still excellent de-stress anime, still slightly difficult to talk about beyond that.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yama No Susume still very pretty, still excellent de-stress anime, still slightly difficult to talk about beyond that.

Wazzat

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Encouragement Of Climb

Very pretty short series about Cute Girls Doing Mountain Hiking Things. See Also: Yurucamp

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

chumbler posted:

When will there be an anime about sexy HVAC maintenance, for true fan service?

oh god trap so loving sprung, but this manga definitely exists

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Spiritus Nox posted:

I think Aoi and Hinata should get gay married

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

climbing anime, first season is a series of six minute eps and s2 and 3 are 12 minutes. the production on the series is very well-regarded, staff get to put a lot of personality into individual episodes so along with the show generally looking really pretty you get a handful of very stand-out episodes where the talents and creative choices of the animators and directors involved is very visible.

s1 is more of a chill out thing but s2 shifts into a neat arc about the main character getting sick while climbing mt fuji, rest of the season is her friends trying to help her deal with her frustration and the anxiety she's gotten from the experience and remember why she loved climbing in the first place. it's one of my favorite more recent anime

s3 is only three eps in but the second ep was key animated entirely by one person and it has a very neat look to it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 17, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

I think Aoi and Hinata should get gay married

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also s2 of yama no susume has an op from the guy who did the openings for welcome to the nhk and occultic;nine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTeLGxA1rrU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i did watch half of yama no susume s2 while eating pizza so that might have contributed to me liking it so much.

but hell. it's a good pizza anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/andrearitsu/status/1018943007922507776

good thread on starlight revue for people who dont know anything about takarazuka.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

praying @ god that some twitter weirdos stop acting like ikuhara invented the takarazuka revue in 1997, lol

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

praying @ god that some twitter weirdos stop acting like ikuhara invented the takarazuka revue in 1997, lol

It's so very wrong but it's still somewhat better than thinking Madoka invented the dark twist in Magical Girl anime I guess...maybe not

Rest in Peace Minky Momo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

did u know ikuhara invented giving lesbians weapons

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

AnacondaHL posted:

oh god trap so loving sprung, but this manga definitely exists

If there's reborn as a vending machine isekai, there's sexy HVAC maintenance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

did u know ikuhara invented giving lesbians weapons
did u know ikuhara invented lesbians

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
new yami shibai, new catchy ed
https://files.catbox.moe/084wfn.webm

first ep was quite pretty too

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Edit: wrong thread

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 17, 2018

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

is recommending it based on if someone liked the style of utena bad

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
glad of this shot of a tiny mountain climber

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Aurora posted:

Urena is good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think it's more about ikuharas inflated status as aueteur that is the prickly point.

He had influence but was not the sole originator and the work of a lot of others was just as important.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aurora posted:

no, the director's an ikuhara collaborator and they share a common point of origin

its just the difference between 'if you like madoka magica, check out wixoss, they both take the magical girl thing in interesting directions' and 'madoka magica INVENTED magical girl stories having stakes and wixoss is a ripoff'

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ah, i see

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

I think it's more about ikuharas inflated status as aueteur that is the prickly point.

He had influence but was not the sole originator and the work of a lot of others was just as important.

i don't see how ikuhara having very clear influences inflates his status as an auteur, he's one the few anime directors where you can cleanly draw the lines of auteurism

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Parallax posted:

i don't see how ikuhara having very clear influences inflates his status as an auteur, he's one the few anime directors where you can cleanly draw the lines of auteurism
i disagree on that second point, as for the first point that isnt what was said

and nobody's saying ikuhara isnt a talented director with a distinctive style, just that people should probably realize the things he was inspired by, existed long before him

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's true for literally every creator ever, though?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

auteur gets inflated into meaning someone struck the ground and this sole act of power caused an anime to spring fully formed from the earth but in its more practical meaning i think it still has some use

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

That's true for literally every creator ever, though?
Yes? Why are people interpreting 'Ikuhara was influenced by things that came before him' as an attack on Ikuhara, lol. it's literally just, i saw some tweets acting like revue was ripping off ikuhara and pointing to the costume design and the play motifs as an example of that, which is a moronic thing to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

i disagree on that second point, as for the first point that isnt what was said

and nobody's saying ikuhara isnt a talented director with a distinctive style, just that people should probably realize the things he was inspired by, existed long before him

no, i know that's what you were saying, but that did not seem like what sharkey was saying, but i would like to know why you disagree on the second point

• Locked thread