Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The AG is literally the mandated defense attorney for the state. Two of the four cases people were complaining about involved her office acting as the defense attorney for the state of California.

good point. her not defending those cases cause people got angry at her would be a tragedy on the level of people not getting representation in criminal cases cause they can't find a lawyer who will take their case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

The AG is literally the mandated defense attorney for the state. Two of the four cases people were complaining about involved her office acting as the defense attorney for the state of California.

Condiv not understanding what a state AG is responsible for, and just making baseless accusations trying to show everyone how morally superior he is? Color me shocked.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Gee if being state AG required her to do a bunch of evil poo poo maybe she shouldn't run for president considering it was a job she willingly signed up for and that speaks badly as to what her values are.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

You guys just don't understand. It's not her fault she couldn't pick what cases she argues or what arguments her offices puts forth. She oversaw 4,000 people! Clearly she had to direct her office to fight to keep non-violent offenders in prison, since that's what the state wanted.

Therefore, it's obvious there's nothing to be concerned about with her potentially leading the Executive Branch in a nation with countless racist laws on the books.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

"what about rule of law!!" i sob as obama's DoJ refuses to defend DOMA

"this is just like an accused murderer not being able to find legal representation" :qq:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

quote:

In 2008, California voters approved Proposition 8, a constitutional amendment essentially banning same-sex marriage in the Golden State.

It was the second time the majority said marriage is between a man and a woman. It's usually the job of the California attorney general to defend state law, but in this case, Kamala Harris refused to do so, even though it went to the nation's highest court.

Harris, a San Francisco Democrat, said Prop. 8 violates the Constitution, and the U.S. Supreme Court has described marriage as a fundamental right 14 times since 1888.

"It's well within the authority vested in me as the elected attorney general to use the discretion of my office to make decisions about how we will use our resources and what issue we will weigh in on or not," Harris said.

I can't believe kamala harris left california without a defense attorney!! why does no-one care about rule of law?! :qq:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Condiv not understanding what a state AG is responsible for, and just making baseless accusations trying to show everyone how morally superior he is? Color me shocked.

"she can't be expected to stop her underlings from committing horrific acts in her name" is a fascinating defensive tack to take, on behalf of someone who wants to be president

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

"she can't be expected to stop her underlings from committing horrific acts in her name" is a fascinating defensive tack to take, on behalf of someone who wants to be president

I mean who better to have authority over an agency that's running literal concentration camps?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

LOL how are you consistently this dumb?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

HAHAHAHAHAHA not a cop at all, goddamn what a poo poo person I hope she gets shot down in flames when the primaries arrive

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ This is also a good example. A good way to reframe Leon's posts is to think of how you'd respond to someone who made a bunch of posts downplaying negative claims against Trump, even if those specific negative claims actually were false or exaggerated. You'd probably think "I bet this person either likes Trump or at least is opposed to anti-Trump people." Obviously Harris isn't Trump, but the point still stands that their behavior is clear evidence that they are, at the very least, opposed to those who would be opposed to Harris, whether or not that necessarily implies direct support of Harris.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Leon is doing a pretty good job of making you look like a lunatic here.

WampaLord is not particular good at arguing this*, but Leon's reasoning is deeply flawed in a way with actual negative repercussions.

For future reference, the best way to know that someone like that Leon poster is a bad actor is by looking at what they choose to focus on. In Harris's case, there are very good reasons to oppose her running for President, and obviously superior candidates exist. Even if someone is making a dumb argument or focusing on one of the weaker arguments against Harris, someone who is actually concerned about outcomes would still center their argument on opposition to Harris, but using one of the more reasonable arguments against her (like her not prosecuting Mnuchin or something). You have to ask yourself "why would someone put so much effort towards defending Harris?" This isn't to say that Leon is pro-Harris, but it does mean that there's some bad/irrational motivation driving their actions (in this case likely "bizarre disproportionate distaste for leftists," since that's usually the case in situations like this).

In general, one should always focus not just on whether the things someone is saying are true, but what they choose to focus on and emphasize. It is a very common flaw among liberals to focus on being technically/factually correct, but nothing beyond that. This makes it very easy to target propaganda at such liberals; all you have to do is cherry pick facts that support your position and arguments used by opponents that are wrong.

* don't mean to throw you under the bus or anything, but the punishing parents of truant children thing, while still dumb/bad, is kind of blown out of proportion, and there are many better things to focus on

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 16, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/joanwalsh/status/1018948806954516480

how dare bernie call out bozos

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

If we kiss Bezos' rear end a bit more, maybe he'll single-handedly underwrite the #Resistance!:downs:

e: Oh my God this reply:

https://twitter.com/LFlanagan/status/1018951245803999235

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 16, 2018

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Majorian posted:

If we kiss Bezos' rear end a bit more, maybe he'll single-handedly underwrite the #Resistance!:downs:

Managing Director of BELLE Capital USA

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Majorian posted:

@LFlanagan should tell that to Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer, who, rather than turn from discussing @LFlanagan approved topics for one second, actually and definitively put DACA on the back burner in negotiations with the President who campaigned on removing naturalized citizenship from the Constitution on the false assurance that Republicans would allow an up-or-down vote on it. He advocated putting immigrants on back burner in a book, except instead of wages for the working class, they said "the middle class", echoing moments throughout history where people just have to wait for the purposes of political expediency when they belong to a small enough minority.

I wonder why @LFlanagan is so focused on some senator from Vermont when it comes to this issue and not the congressional Democratic Party leadership

:thunk:

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Her reasoning was that the inmate had been deemed eligible for parole and was being released in 3 months. The inmate was convicted of 2nd degree murder and served 28 years, but never requested the surgery until after their parole was approved.

For how many of those 28 years was providing surgery even an option?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I will never vote for any "mainstream" prosecutor seeking higher office, under any capacity. It's a job for degenerates.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I will die b4 I vote noted cop Kamala Harris

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

She couldn't be more proud of being a pile of poo poo.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Thank God someone is standing up for the law-abiding citizens of California to ensure that people don't start using decades-long stays in torture facilities to get taxpayer-funded medical care. :patriot:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Her reasoning was that the inmate had been deemed eligible for parole and was being released in 3 months. The inmate was convicted of 2nd degree murder and served 28 years, but never requested the surgery until after their parole was approved.

She was arguing on behalf of the state that this would set a precedent where the state would have to pay for expensive surgeries for prisoners who only apply after they are granted parole. She was arguing against requiring the state to deem non-life saving procedures as medically necessary if the person has been granted parole and never requested treatment before; not against transitioning itself. She actually changed CA state policy to allow trans people to stay in the prison facilities of their preferred gender.

She argued against letting the trans inmate in question stay in a prison matching their gender, you gently caress. Which might have also been a reason the surgery was never requested until after they got parole; getting it, but still being stuck in a prison of the wrong gender, is a great way to be the target of abuse. And rape. And so on. From both the other inmates and the guards.

Her being progressive and tolerant in theory but cracking down on the vulnerable when she gets personally involved and putting the screws to them, regardless of your excuses ("it's only three months, so transphobic policy is fine"), is not actually a good look. Never mind that the state should be covering important, and indeed live-saving, if indirectly so, surgery for those who can't afford it, whether or not they're in prison.

That said, California had their spot in the presidential primaries moved up a lot, to Super Tuesday I think, so that they could make a bigger impact on choosing the president (since, you know, it is pretty dumb that the largest state, and one of the largest sources of Dem support, was basically meaningless in choosing its candidate), and since Harris is from CA, that might be a big help to her getting the nomination. I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of why the change was made, really. I really hope it doesn't work out that way, because she is a cruel, cruel person, but I'm definitely worried.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 16, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Roland Jones posted:

She argued against letting the trans inmate in question stay in a prison matching their gender, you gently caress. Which might have also been a reason the surgery was never requested until after they got parole; getting it, but still being stuck in a prison of the wrong gender, is a great way to be the target of abuse. And rape. And so on. From both the other inmates and the guards.

Her being progressive and tolerant in theory but cracking down on the vulnerable when she gets personally involved and putting the screws to them, regardless of your excuses ("it's only three months, so transphobic policy is fine"), is not actually a good look. Never mind that the state should be covering important, and indeed live-saving, if indirectly so, surgery for those who can't afford it, whether or not they're in prison.

That said, California had their spot in the presidential primaries moved up a lot, to Super Tuesday I think, so that they could make a bigger impact on choosing the president (since, you know, it is pretty dumb that the largest state, and one of the largest sources of Dem support, was basically meaningless in choosing its candidate), and since Harris is from CA, that might be a big help to her getting the nomination. I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of why the change was made, really. I really hope it doesn't work out that way, because she is a cruel, cruel person, but I'm definitely worried.

i like how he intentionally pointed out the crime the person was charged with, as if it had anything to do with the discussion at hand

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiGEh7UoMYg

i love bernie even more now

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I remember when I thought Harris was cool, then I read about her career for like 5 minutes and noped out.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Calibanibal posted:

Me too. But that's because if she loses in the general the ACA is toast.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

As an AG, you don't get to choose your clients and you have to defend the state.

lol no they don't. state attorneys general have wide latitude to refuse a case and often do

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

As an AG, you don't get to choose your clients and you have to defend the state.

Everyone else has explained why this was a dumb post but holy poo poo this is such a crazy statement. State AGs literally constantly refuse cases for reasons ranging from 'not a good use of resources' to 'bad politics for me' to 'eh, gently caress it'.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Calibanibal posted:

*I will die b4 I vote FOR noted cop Kamala Harris

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Don't forget that many Dems are just GOP who are ok with gay marriage.

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/1018638375971164160

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Something incredibly tragic would have to happen to him for me not to put BERNIE loving SANDERS in all fields on my 2020 ballot.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
This was missed in today's crazy show.

Cop firing from a moving vehicle adjacent to a school.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1019011266021474306

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1019011266021474306

How else are you going to get the attention of the good kids with guns?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Lmao wtf?? Why... would you not lean out the side? Like this isn’t GTA??? What??????

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Lmao wtf?? Why... would you not lean out the side? Like this isn’t GTA??? What??????

No cover?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lightning Knight posted:

the suspects were armed and shot three dozen times at the police in pursuit, so probably just for cover

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Wouldn't glass affect the trajectory?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
the full video is here by the way: https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/homicides/video-shows-violent-police-pursuit-near-downtown-las-vegas/

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I watched the video. That was pretty intense. The officer didn't start firing until the people in the black van started shooting and it's implied from the video that he'd already been shot at previously. He didn't just go GTA out of a total loss of sense.

Cops do dumb and bad things all the time. I don't think this was one of those times. It looks bad because of where he ended up, but the officer didn't have control over that.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

theCalamity posted:

Wouldn't glass affect the trajectory?

Not as much as you might think and especially from inside. Cops generally carry ammunition that goes through automotive windshields (something like Critical Duty or HST).

That being said that cop is pretty much deaf now; shooting from inside a car will blow out eardrums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Party Plane Jones posted:

Not as much as you might think and especially from inside. Cops generally carry ammunition that goes through automotive windshields (something like Critical Duty or HST).

That being said that cop is pretty much deaf now; shooting from inside a car will blow out eardrums.

Pretty much. His hearing is hosed, though I'm not sure just how hosed with a window open.

• Locked thread