Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

colas posted:

What is the nicest black t-shirt I can buy?

What's the best t-shirt, printed or blank you own?

https://www.icebreaker.com/en/mens-baselayers/oasis-short-sleeve-crewe/100475.html?dwvar_100475_color=603

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

colas posted:

What is the nicest black t-shirt I can buy?

What's the best t-shirt, printed or blank you own?

I'm a big fan of uniqlo's supima cotton tshirts, especially when you factor in the price.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm primarily an old fashioned drinker and have been in spain for a few weeks, and everyone here makes them with soda water. It is a nice touch I would like to play with a bit at home. Any recommendations for that kind of seltzer bottle/soda siphon that works with cartridges instead of a restaurant hookup so I don't end up opening a can every time I make a drink?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nephzinho posted:

It is a nice touch I would like to play with a bit at home. Any recommendations for that kind of seltzer bottle/soda siphon that works with cartridges instead of a restaurant hookup so I don't end up opening a can every time I make a drink?

I've had this one from isi for about 10 years now, only black instead of polished stainless.

It only comes out when I'm entertaining because it's too fiddly for everyday use. You'll want to chill the water ahead of time (I usually fill mine and throw it in the refrigerator a few hours before I plan on using it.) Also it's a bit counter-intuitive but it helps to uniformly carbonate the water by shaking the poo poo out of it right after charging.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

You're living the $80 t-shirt life?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Nephzinho posted:

old fashioned drinker

It took me three read throughs to parse this correctly.

Edit:

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 00:20 on Jul 17, 2018

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Rolo posted:

My wallet is ten years old and just a basic bifold leather wallet from the mall. I’ve started carrying a lot more plastic and could use something slim, light, and easy to sit on without ruining it.

E: is SlimFold a good brand?

I like the slimmy myself. Mine's held up for almost decade now too.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Do children’s building blocks (wooden shapes, suitable for an infant, not Lego) with tight tolerances exist?

I’ve got a set from ikea, and while they’re fine everything has different sizes and not cut entirely square. making anything taller than a few blocks wonky.

It’s a bit more money than sense, but it’d be nice to have something accurate to build some cool towers for my kid to knock down.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Geoj posted:

I've had this one from isi for about 10 years now, only black instead of polished stainless.

It only comes out when I'm entertaining because it's too fiddly for everyday use. You'll want to chill the water ahead of time (I usually fill mine and throw it in the refrigerator a few hours before I plan on using it.) Also it's a bit counter-intuitive but it helps to uniformly carbonate the water by shaking the poo poo out of it right after charging.

Came up as the Amazon rec, will have to give it a try and see if it is worth the fiddlyness for everyday use. I have a shelf on my fridge door for cocktail stuff anyway, it can just live there. Makes sense to work better chilled/shaken for CO2 reasons.

Beachcomber posted:

It took me three read throughs to parse this correctly.

Probably should have capitalized. Wife and friends love their cocktails, but if it doesn't have whiskey I don't see the point, and whiskey doesn't really need much help.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

None of you guys purchased anything crazy from Amazon? No jet-skis, amphibious solar powered submarines or a pinata?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

obi_ant posted:

None of you guys purchased anything crazy from Amazon? No jet-skis, amphibious solar powered submarines or a pinata?

I bought a fire stick because my "smart" TV doesn't do captions and my "smart" bluray player no longer supports Hulu or Amazon, and Chromecast is another bundle of issues. It arrives tomorrow so I can't really review it either way.

Corn is in season. Buy corn. If you microwave it for 3-4 minutes it steams itself in its own husk.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Beachcomber posted:

I bought a fire stick because my "smart" TV doesn't do captions and my "smart" bluray player no longer supports Hulu or Amazon, and Chromecast is another bundle of issues. It arrives tomorrow so I can't really review it either way.

Corn is in season. Buy corn. If you microwave it for 3-4 minutes it steams itself in its own husk.

Throw the corn on the grill in the husk and you get the steam too and better yet once you take the husk off throw it back on for a minute or so to burn off any of the hairs and get some grill marks. Grilled Corn is best corn.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Weird request, but any good choices for dishwasher detergent that's VERY low odor/scent?

The past couple I've used (Cascade packs and Kirkland liquid) my GF complained that they made her food taste like the soap, esp. when she heated them up in the microwave and ESPECIALLY the plastic ones, but even if it was in a glass container.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Weird request, but any good choices for dishwasher detergent that's VERY low odor/scent?

The past couple I've used (Cascade packs and Kirkland liquid) my GF complained that they made her food taste like the soap, esp. when she heated them up in the microwave and ESPECIALLY the plastic ones, but even if it was in a glass container.

I like seventh generation, but it is really rough on glasses, etc (it's caused the ink on several of my coffee mugs/pint glasses to rub off), so take that for what you will.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

You don't use a rinse aid do you? We got a bottle of that once and it left a gross sheen on everything and made our glasses smell.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

DrBouvenstein posted:

Look for anything with "hypoallergenic" on the label as they don't have any scents added. I use either Method or Nature Clean (depending on what's on sale) and they get the job done just as well as any other brand.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Trastion posted:

Throw the corn on the grill in the husk and you get the steam too and better yet once you take the husk off throw it back on for a minute or so to burn off any of the hairs and get some grill marks. Grilled Corn is best corn.

Recommend me a grill, please. We've been using a broiler pan for ages because our last place didn't allow outside cooking. Also, I was never taught how to use one despite repeated requests. My dad never really taught me anything, and he's dead now, and I'm some combination of sad, angry, and let down because of all the things he was too impatient to do and in retrospect he was totally
bipolar but that's meaningless when you're a kid so you get used to walking on eggshells all the time, and taking the mental abuse so you can keep your little brother and mom out of the line of fire, and they keep trying to protect you, so you end up yelling at them too just to keep away and let you do this for them, everything will be fine once the drat screen tent is set up and some time has passed.

I've heard various things about a green egg, are they good?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Beachcomber posted:

Recommend me a grill, please. We've been using a broiler pan for ages because our last place didn't allow outside cooking. Also, I was never taught how to use one despite repeated requests. My dad never really taught me anything, and he's dead now, and I'm some combination of sad, angry, and let down because of all the things he was too impatient to do and in retrospect he was totally
bipolar but that's meaningless when you're a kid so you get used to walking on eggshells all the time, and taking the mental abuse so you can keep your little brother and mom out of the line of fire, and they keep trying to protect you, so you end up yelling at them too just to keep away and let you do this for them, everything will be fine once the drat screen tent is set up and some time has passed.

What kind of grilling are you looking to do? If it's just the occasional corn/burgers/sausages/hot dogs and you don't care about becoming a GRILLMASTER just look around for a reasonably priced propane grill. If you do want to get fairly serious about grilling or don't mind some extra effort to save some money (and get better flavor than gas in most people's opinion), buy a Weber Kettle, some lump hardwood charcoal and a chimney starter. If you think you want to get into slow smoked pork/ribs/brisket bbq, start looking into the komodo style cookers (Big Green Egg, Primo, Komodo Joe).

I have a BGE and love it, it can pretty much do everything from smoked butt to burgers to fish to bread and pizza if you put some effort into learning about it. But there are also days where I just want to throw a couple burgers on without spending the time to get the coals going and dial in the temp, so I also have a little Charbroil patio gas grill.

There's probably a grilling thread in GWS if you want some more specific suggestions.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Best websites for canvas prints of your own photos? Interested in a good balance of quality and price.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Beachcomber posted:

Don't waste money on an Egg. They are over hyped and over expensive. Just go get yourself a nice propane grill from the box hardware store. Get something in the $150 range or so. They will all be having end of summer sales soon to get rid of stock. Expect it to only last a couple of years. Replace it with something better at that time.

In those 2 years or so you will learn how to use it and what you really want to have in a grill. More Space, Sideburners, etc.

Grilling on propane is just like using the stove really. Set the burners how high you want and then keep an eye on the food. Start off with easy things like dogs and burgers. Corn in the husk is super easy as the husk will burn but protect the corn. Fruits and Veggies on the grill are awesome. Grilled Peaches and Pineapple Rings are a favorite of my daughter.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I have a request.

I need a shoe rack/storage rack. The area I have is 54" Wide x 14" Deep x 7 1/2' or so to ceiling. It doesn't need to fill all that space but it can if needed. Basically I live with 3 women (wife and 2 daughters) who have MANY shoes and our current rack is not working.

Something modular would be ok. I don't really want something that wastes a lot of space with big holes that a pair of shoes would fill 10% of.

My wife looked at Ikea and they had a few things but they were super expensive so i am hoping to find something as good but less expensive.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Trastion posted:

I have a request.

I need a shoe rack/storage rack. The area I have is 54" Wide x 14" Deep x 7 1/2' or so to ceiling. It doesn't need to fill all that space but it can if needed. Basically I live with 3 women (wife and 2 daughters) who have MANY shoes and our current rack is not working.

Something modular would be ok. I don't really want something that wastes a lot of space with big holes that a pair of shoes would fill 10% of.

My wife looked at Ikea and they had a few things but they were super expensive so i am hoping to find something as good but less expensive.

I ended up just installing some shelves and putting shoes on them.

If you go with an Ikea algot system you can pick and choose how high the shelves are to accommodate boots vs sandals, and there’s even specific shoe racks.

Bonus, you can then also use the shelves for storing bags and poo poo.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Weber grills are a classic workhorse. Can’t go wrong with that and they are very reasonably priced.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

While not the best thing as a grill pellet grills make for tasty food.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

couldcareless posted:

Best websites for canvas prints of your own photos? Interested in a good balance of quality and price.

I dunno about canvas, but I use Bay Photo and Adorama a lot for my prints and both are really good and reasonably priced.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Horse Clocks posted:

Do children’s building blocks (wooden shapes, suitable for an infant, not Lego) with tight tolerances exist?

I’ve got a set from ikea, and while they’re fine everything has different sizes and not cut entirely square. making anything taller than a few blocks wonky.

It’s a bit more money than sense, but it’d be nice to have something accurate to build some cool towers for my kid to knock down.

I think what you are looking for are “unit blocks”. You can get very nice sets from school supply companies, but they can cost hundreds of dollars. We purchased two sets of unit blocks by Melissa and Doug that are pretty good. One is a regular set and one is a set of architectural features (arches, columns, etc. ) that are the same basic dimensions.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Trastion posted:

Don't waste money on an Egg. They are over hyped and over expensive. Just go get yourself a nice propane grill from the box hardware store. Get something in the $150 range or so. They will all be having end of summer sales soon to get rid of stock. Expect it to only last a couple of years. Replace it with something better at that time.

In those 2 years or so you will learn how to use it and what you really want to have in a grill. More Space, Sideburners, etc.

Grilling on propane is just like using the stove really. Set the burners how high you want and then keep an eye on the food. Start off with easy things like dogs and burgers. Corn in the husk is super easy as the husk will burn but protect the corn. Fruits and Veggies on the grill are awesome. Grilled Peaches and Pineapple Rings are a favorite of my daughter.

This is good advice. You don't need the latest and greatest contraption if you're just wanting to get started. If you know the basics of cooking on a grill pan, you'll do fine with a barbecue/grill. There's plenty of guides on how to tell when meat is about the doneness that you prefer, and while it's something you can screw up if you're not paying attention, you'll also get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Consider something that's half grill half hotplate so you can also do eggs, onions, mushrooms, etc if that's your scene. If you enjoy it enough you'll know what to look for when you want to upgrade to something better or different.

Just remember it's a learning experience and to enjoy yourself.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Also, invest the money in a thermapen. It's expensive, but you will easily get your money's worth over it's lifetime.

E. VVVV Hmm, I'll have to check that out as a backup. Thanks!

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Jul 26, 2018

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

1redflag posted:

Also, invest the money in a thermapen. It's expensive, but you will easily get your money's worth over it's lifetime.

Thermapens are nice but this thing works 95% as well for 1/4 the cost: http://a.co/3QoWzOd . I've had mine for a few years now with no issues, despite being abused.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Thermapen regularly goes on sale, too. It was probably one of my best grilling purchases ever.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
New backpack time, office, commute, travel.
Requirements are:

Has to be at least a bit subdued/office worthy.
MacBook Pro 15” padded compartment, highly prefer being able to yank it out without putting the bag down (currently have a side zip one that I just drop to my hand, unzip, pull laptop out)
Vented back or whatever would be nice
Looking at something like the Osprey Pandion

Probably 20-30 liter.

Will pay for durability/quality/usability.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

uwaeve posted:

New backpack time, office, commute, travel.
Requirements are:

Has to be at least a bit subdued/office worthy.
MacBook Pro 15” padded compartment, highly prefer being able to yank it out without putting the bag down (currently have a side zip one that I just drop to my hand, unzip, pull laptop out)
Vented back or whatever would be nice
Looking at something like the Osprey Pandion

Probably 20-30 liter.

Will pay for durability/quality/usability.

Mission Workshop.
I've had mine for a while and I LOVE it.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

Mission Workshop.
I've had mine for a while and I LOVE it.

I'll check em out, thanks!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

uwaeve posted:

I'll check em out, thanks!

I use something that looks a little more professional now, but I used a mission workshop bag as my daily backpack for 6 years or so. I used to motorcycle to work, throw it around, and took it in all kinds of weather. Besides being a magnet for dog hair (consider getting a color other than black), it still looks brand spankin' new. The company was started by the guys who made Chrome bags after they sold the company and their non-compete ended and I think the quality is better.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been messing with cords when I travel for work for years and I just today realized there’s probably something I can buy instead of unplugging and packing 3 bricks and 3 cables every single time.

I just want a low profile thing to plug into the wall (USA) and charge an iPhone, iPad and Kindle (2 Lightning’s and a Micro USB.)

I’ve seen a lot of options on amazon but I’m wary to plug 1500 dollars into something crappy, so here I am! Anyone travel a lot and can throw me a recommendation?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

There are usb bricks that have two USB ports, for pretty cheap on amazon. I assume there are three-port ones too.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

1redflag posted:

E. VVVV Hmm, I'll have to check that out as a backup. Thanks!

Thermapen is already my #1 kitchen tool. Also have the thermapop.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Rolo posted:

I’ve been messing with cords when I travel for work for years and I just today realized there’s probably something I can buy instead of unplugging and packing 3 bricks and 3 cables every single time.

I just want a low profile thing to plug into the wall (USA) and charge an iPhone, iPad and Kindle (2 Lightning’s and a Micro USB.)

I’ve seen a lot of options on amazon but I’m wary to plug 1500 dollars into something crappy, so here I am! Anyone travel a lot and can throw me a recommendation?

I don’t travel a whole lot, but I use this, and I’ve never had any issues. I plug my phone, Apple Watch, and white noise machine into one of these every night. I have one in the living room where I’ll plug in a phone, an iPad, and headphones. I’ve brought them on trips, and they’re actually pretty sturdy.

Edit: it looks like they even show an iPhone and an iPad charging in the item listing

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Rolo posted:

I own 3 of these, have two around the house and one for travel, I use it to charge my phone, iPad and headphones and it has worked perfectly. Another one to charge my bike lights and garmin and another one in the living room for guest phones when I have people over, never a problem with any device.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Multi-Port-Samsung/dp/B00VH8ZW02

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Rolo posted:

I got one of these earlier this year and it is great. Lightweight, works on pretty much any voltage for international travel, fast charging. It's very similar to the one in the post above but also has a USB-C which is awesome for newer Apple stuff and the Switch and also for recharging one of these. Between the two you'll be ready for anything, they've really upped my travel game.