Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
might as well rename tanis to "hey can you e-mail me that thing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
A new episode of Eskew just released and I'm loving thrilled! It's unlike any other podcast I've ever heard and I've listened to the first eight episodes on repeat since they first came out.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
tanis is just loving baffling. Try to imagine nick recording his lines and then going "yeah that was a good reading of that line, it conveys all the proper emotion" you can't he's a robot man I think

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's almost as if PNW are bad at podcasts.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the literal loving robot man in archive 81 delivers better line reads

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Its money, guys. He's not making podcasts because he has a story to tell, he's making podcasts because all of us who claim to hate it continue to listen every month. That keeps his sponsors happy, who then pay him money. Its not hard to figure out why he hasn't figured out what the gently caress Tanis is yet or why he wastes time rehasing stupid poo poo or hast long stupid silences between everything. He's spinning his wheels to collect a paycheck.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I gave up on The Black Tapes when I realized that the full extent of their ability to try and scare the listener was to have the characters in their audio podcast watch videos and say "Oh my God!" when something spooky happened that you the listener will never see.

On a more positive note I'm really liking I Am In Eskew!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

New Leaf posted:

Its money, guys. He's not making podcasts because he has a story to tell, he's making podcasts because all of us who claim to hate it continue to listen every month. That keeps his sponsors happy, who then pay him money. Its not hard to figure out why he hasn't figured out what the gently caress Tanis is yet or why he wastes time rehasing stupid poo poo or hast long stupid silences between everything. He's spinning his wheels to collect a paycheck.

If that’s the case, then what happened to Black Tapes? The last episode was literally “make up your own ending.” I suspect there was some internal friction that led to the Black Tapes writer leaving to work on The Big Loop, which is far better.

Also, I unsubscribed from Tanis two years ago and I haven’t regretted it.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 11, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Last Movie or whatever it was called wasn't good but at least it got in and told it's story in 6 episodes.

Part of me wants to go back to Tanis and finish Black Tapes but :effort: I only have so much time and they moved me from a position at work where for 6 hours I could have headphones in to one where I don't even get a radio.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tanis saddens me because the basic idea is super appealing to me but then the podcast is so blegh.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Farg posted:

the literal loving robot man in archive 81 delivers better line reads

I find their voice a bit hard to understand sometimes, but I get what they're going for with it.

The robot guy in Girl in Space is pretty well done too. Actually that one's got a pretty solid cast except maybe for the current main villain as he's kind of intentionally dry.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know why I bounced off King's Falls around episode 50, or Welcome to Nightvale around 125, but now I want something different and good. Archive 81, and Magnus are amazing.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Len posted:

The Last Movie or whatever it was called wasn't good but at least it got in and told it's story in 6 episodes.

People said the same thing about Rabbits, but they brought it back.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Jurgan posted:

People said the same thing about Rabbits, but they brought it back.

New Leaf posted:

Its money, guys.

I quit listening to the PNWS podcasts for this exact reason. Especially after they decided to continue Rabbits, which felt like a fully-contained story. They stopped having interesting stories to tell and chased the money instead.

I am absolutely in love with Archive 81 though, and I can't wait to see where it goes. Every season has been a very different way of expanding the universe they've built, but it builds on the previous one. I'm really considering listening to the whole thing again before this season finishes.

Also, is anyone else excited about the new season of Sayer?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I've been listening to Archive 81 as it was released, and in the middle of this week's episode I realized I truly don't remember what is even going on or how these people/events are connected in any way. Is there a wiki or episode summaries (other than the full episode transcripts) where I can refresh how this all fits together? I know the barest outline of each season, but I'm looking for more specific connections, like "This S3 audio clip ties into such-and-such from S1".

I mean, I at least understand that in S3 Nick and Christine are related to Oscar Waters from The Golden Age.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TMA needs to find a new way to move the plot forward besides "Johnny gets kidnapped." They're leaning on that one a little hard.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

TMA needs to find a new way to move the plot forward besides "Johnny gets kidnapped." They're leaning on that one a little hard.

The last time he was kidnapped by the stranger the voice of the stranger was so freakin' absurd that I was positive he was going to turn on the lights and ha ha it's just his roommate playing a goof on us and then the episode just ended.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'll deal with just about any level of VA absurdity so long as the No Sleep guy doesn't show up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ornamented Death posted:

I'll deal with just about any level of VA absurdity so long as the No Sleep guy doesn't show up.

He makes a good crypt keeper style guy but I straight up skip any story he does solo.

Also I liked how apparently the NoSleep listeners have no problem with the stories being mostly bland and not spooky but there being gay couples in some of them warranted enough rage there was a special "gently caress you guys" segment a few weeks ago

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

He makes a good crypt keeper style guy but I straight up skip any story he does solo.

Also I liked how apparently the NoSleep listeners have no problem with the stories being mostly bland and not spooky but there being gay couples in some of them warranted enough rage there was a special "gently caress you guys" segment a few weeks ago

Wait what? Lmao.

Also I love TMA but I agree.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Wait what? Lmao.

Also I love TMA but I agree.

There was a story that had a gay couple in it and apparently enough people wrote in about how they were going to stop listening because of it he took time to go "thats not going to change and if anything I'll do more lgbtq" stories.

And the next episode was for Pride and the stories were all either written by or featured lgbtq folks. He even let a different host who is gay or bi (don't remember) do the hosting.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Not only is TMA leaning on kidnapping as a device, but the whole Johnny as naïve observer thing is dumb at this point. He should be headed as hell: Sorry your dad got eaten by darkness, but my coworker was murdered by hyper-psychic mimic and I've had my life threatened by the living conceptualitzation of mazes while getting kidnapped by murder mannikins intent on dancing the world insane.

E: I think of Trevor as Panel Van Hellsing.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 13, 2018

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Len posted:

There was a story that had a gay couple in it and apparently enough people wrote in about how they were going to stop listening because of it he took time to go "thats not going to change and if anything I'll do more lgbtq" stories.

And the next episode was for Pride and the stories were all either written by or featured lgbtq folks. He even let a different host who is gay or bi (don't remember) do the hosting.

I've heard people talk some poo poo about the No Sleep guy before but that's a good response from him :3:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Len posted:

That's pretty damned awesome.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Len posted:

Podcast fans saying that is pretty rich. I can’t think of a single fiction podcast that doesn’t have at least one gay character.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Whoever recommended I am in Eskew, thank you. I listened to the first episode last night and it's just so perfectly weird and unsettling.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

might as well rename tanis to "hey can you e-mail me that thing"

Subtitle: And that thing.... was the same as this other thing

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Montalvo posted:

Whoever recommended I am in Eskew, thank you. I listened to the first episode last night and it's just so perfectly weird and unsettling.

Eskew is the tits.

It's only got 3 reviews on itunes, though. Needs some love so it gets the coverage it deserves.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Montalvo posted:

That was me :) And I heard about it from More_Badass over at Resetera, who I think I also discovered The Magnus Archives from.

Guy has a knack for finding obscure podcasts that totally are my jam.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Static Man sounds pretty chill for an Eldritch Horror

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Len posted:

Anybody (thing?) that likes Popeye's biscuits is cool with me. :cenobite::hf::hai:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Len posted:

That was a great character. After the dramatic shift between the first two seasons, I was afraid season three would be a cooling show hosted by Gilbert Gottfired, but they’ve really hit their stride. The pay phone sequences are always disturbing but kind of funny. My favorite gag is “For English, press one. [Guttural gibberish.]. Para espanol, oprima tres.” Still wonder what they’re building up to- the obvious answer is a ritual to contact their dead father.

Also, Bright Sessions is sort of back. The main story is done, but they’re releasing one-shot stories about other patients. Today’s was an astral projector played by Jassika Nicole of Alice Isn’t Dead.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Also, Bright Sessions is sort of back. The main story is done, but they’re releasing one-shot stories about other patients. Today’s was an astral projector played by Jassika Nicole of Alice Isn’t Dead.

Man, did anyone else think that season 4 of the Bright Sessions was a major let down compared to season 3? Damian's home invasion and everything happened after was some super tense, powerful story telling, and then season 4 felt like it just forgot to have a conflict.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Montalvo posted:

Seeing the way in which Jonathan uses his "superpower" to force the truth from people to get the papers from that traffic warden in the latest episode of Magnus was great.

I may be misremembering but I think it was Martin, not Johnathan. Like Martin is gaining similar powers because he's filling in as Archivist.

MAG question:

In my podcast player, I see episode 105 and then it skips to 109. Am I missing episodes are did they do this intentionally?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

Man, did anyone else think that season 4 of the Bright Sessions was a major let down compared to season 3? Damian's home invasion and everything happened after was some super tense, powerful story telling, and then season 4 felt like it just forgot to have a conflict.

Unfortunately I think S3 is the climax and S4 is the falling action introduction to the spin offs.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It felt very focused and also completely unfocused at the same time. Some kind of anti-AM was clearly necessary, and who better to do it, and then it turns out AM isn’t the worst maybe and they’re going to change it from the inside? Okay...

As a whole, it’s a good listen. There’s a lot of fun ideas at play and some solid performances. But I compared it to Heroes when it started, and that comparison is still apt. For better and worse.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

In my podcast player, I see episode 105 and then it skips to 109. Am I missing episodes are did they do this intentionally?

You're missing episodes.

Inkspot posted:

It felt very focused and also completely unfocused at the same time. Some kind of anti-AM was clearly necessary, and who better to do it, and then it turns out AM isn’t the worst maybe and they’re going to change it from the inside? Okay...

The part that got me was in the last two episodes, oh, poo poo, let's sink wadsworth, but we need to do espionage, and the AM was founded by a secret society of french monks, and this will be accomplished with one evening of reading through books.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Arrhythmia posted:

I said it earlier in the thread but it felt meandering to me like it just kind of existed.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Good news for fans of white bread: Amazon's making a streaming TV show out of Homecoming. Julia Roberts will play the Catherine Keener character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
People were down on it when it came out but I am loving season 2 of Archive 81.