Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Ariong posted:

Is there a forums emote that is the equivilent of pointing to the side of your head and spinning your finger in a little circle?

:palmon:

e: i continue my tradition of terrible page snypes. here's a link to the latest Casefile episode, in which no one gets murdered but everything about it is terrifying: http://casefilepodcast.com/case-89-ella-tundra/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Huh, I didn't know Rob Zombie was making a new movie.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

china bot posted:

:palmon:

e: i continue my tradition of terrible page snypes. here's a link to the latest Casefile episode, in which no one gets murdered but everything about it is terrifying: http://casefilepodcast.com/case-89-ella-tundra/

Oh hey, I've never heard of this podcast before. Thanks! I'm running dry on Thinking Sideways episodes.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Kitfox88 posted:

I'd legit kill myself if I ended up in that situation, presuming the 7 second limit didn't interfere with something like walking off a building. And here I was terrified of maybe getting bad memory like my grandparents.

The amount of people who said "I'll kill myself if I get dementia/can't care for myself anymore" and still end up in a nursing home for years dependant on others is astoundingly high.

I took care of a woman who had about a similar memory span due to her dementia. All she would do was ask about her husband, where's Dan, where's Dan, where's Dan non-stop all day at all hours of the day and it didn't matter what you told her she'd ask the same question in a few seconds. But when her husband visited, she was fine. Still confused and not capable of taking care of herself, but happy and able to have regular conversations.

If you've never had to answer the same question a hundred times at three and you....are not missing anything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I recall that one being posted last year when it was new news. Wasn't any better then. :/

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

ewe2 posted:

A common theme of armchair investigations of the murders is the assumption that someone had to have been protecting the murderer for various reasons because it seems impossible that no one was caught. Police corruption, Establishment cover-ups, suspicious sons of the well-to-do spirited away to the colonies, there's almost every variation that you can imagine. If there hasn't been a thesis on how every forensic development has its accompanying Ripper theory, I'll be surprised.

I always considered with the state of police investigation as it was then, it's a wonder that they ever managed to catch anyone responsible for any crime.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Can someone post a summary with names? WaPo is behind the paywall for me.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

big dyke energy posted:

The amount of people who said "I'll kill myself if I get dementia/can't care for myself anymore" and still end up in a nursing home for years dependant on others is astoundingly high.

I took care of a woman who had about a similar memory span due to her dementia. All she would do was ask about her husband, where's Dan, where's Dan, where's Dan non-stop all day at all hours of the day and it didn't matter what you told her she'd ask the same question in a few seconds. But when her husband visited, she was fine. Still confused and not capable of taking care of herself, but happy and able to have regular conversations.

If you've never had to answer the same question a hundred times at three and you....are not missing anything.

Being a caregiver for someone with Alzheimer's is loving terrifying. I will absolutely be gone the instant I don't recognize my loved ones or need help taking care of myself. A death from that disease is nothing but suffering, and I can't imagine wanting to draw out my death for ten years while my family watches in horror.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

A teen reunited with her birth mother — who then killed her and burned her body, police say

In an affidavit that reads like gothic fiction, investigators describe how a teen reunited with her birth mother last year on an isolated farm in Missouri — only to be tortured there, forced to crawl through hog pens and have salt rubbed in her wounds, and then finally murdered last month and burned in a fire pit.

Rebecca Ruud, 39, was arrested Monday by Ozark County sheriff’s deputies and charged, among other crimes, with the first-degree murder of Savannah Leckie, whom she had given up for adoption at birth, 16 years before.

The baby had been taken in by a husband and wife in Minnesota, according to sheriff’s documents, and raised there nearly all her life.

But Savannah’s adoptive parents eventually divorced, and by late 2016 the teen was having trouble getting along with her adoptive mother’s new boyfriend.

In November 2016, Ruud, who had been in casual contact with Leckie for years, “agreed to take Savannah back and she was delivered to Ruud in Ozark County,” wrote a sheriff’s deputy, as he recounted all the things the girl would subsequently endure.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Scathach posted:

Being a caregiver for someone with Alzheimer's is loving terrifying. I will absolutely be gone the instant I don't recognize my loved ones or need help taking care of myself. A death from that disease is nothing but suffering, and I can't imagine wanting to draw out my death for ten years while my family watches in horror.

Oh yeah it is suuuuuper lovely. I do it as a profession, but I don't think I could do it for my own parents. It's such a weird lovely sad disease.

Just make sure you have a good advance directive/living will, that's my main advice.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

big dyke energy posted:

Oh yeah it is suuuuuper lovely. I do it as a profession, but I don't think I could do it for my own parents. It's such a weird lovely sad disease.

Just make sure you have a good advance directive/living will, that's my main advice.

Heya depressing job buddy! :smith::respek::smith:

I loving agree. Luckily I don't have kids so anyone else around me when I'm old will be a bitchy old codger too. Hopefully by that time all my friends will be angry, ancient, and not too keen on keeping other old people suffering for their own needs.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

The single scariest thing I've ever seen a human body do is what happened to my uncle: he was in his early seventies - old, but not like "i'm going to die" old, right? Wrong.

He got Progressive Supranuclear Palsy. At first, it just meant he had trouble with coordination, and walking. Now - I'm not super close with my uncle, but I knew he was beginning to "get old" when I saw him with a cane when we visited one year, and his speech was a little off - but he was fine, he could talk sci-fi books with me.

Fast-forward a year, and my mom's basically volunteered herself for getting him into a nursing home - we live in New York, he lives in Massachusetts, but Mom's his only close relative and he was living on his own and long story short, he got into a good nursing home. (Good does not mean it wasn't horrifying to visit.)

And...here's where I get involved, in that I'd accompany my mom on the drives out to get him settled, help move his stuff, help clean out his home of stuff, and to just visit him in general. And I watched him go from in a wheelchair but you can talk to him, to no talking except for very...slurred words, to just - total helpless paralysis. And over the years my mom and I helped get him a fancy keyboard so he could type, then when his vision become too blurred, he had to clumsily use it - and then a magnet board with letters, and then just a clicker for yes/no. And the entire time his mind was active and in there. He had volunteers come to read books to him, he had a phone call every week with his friend so she could read the news to him, he... he was in there. And his body was just, totally useless. He needed help with eating, everything. He had to eat this... treated water that was thickened so it could actually go down the tubes, right?

And it just - his hair was still brown, he was still in there, I remember we once told a joke while we were visiting and he laughed, it was an awful sound but it was genuine, he was able to understand and enjoy, and just...

He was like that for literally years, and we'd visit every few months, and it was the worst thing I'd ever seen. Up until one month he declined and then just didn't wake up one day.

My grandpa on the other side of the family died in a horrifying way, too - cancer got him, but the care for his last six months was godawful, where he and his wife and my aunt lived in their little nursing home apartment and my aunt changed his bandages daily and near the end he was hallucinating and mean and it was almost a relief when he died, I hear. And it was even worse because his wife - they were married for over seventy years. She's still living there, alone now that my aunt has gone back to her family.

On the bright side, my grandpa was in his... I think early nineties, late eighties, so unlike my uncle he didn't have another twenty years to live, so to speak. :smith:

Apart from the horrific mutiliation/rape/murder stuff this is one of the saddest things this thread has made me feel. I’m so sorry

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

StrixNebulosa posted:

A teen reunited with her birth mother — who then killed her and burned her body, police say

In an affidavit that reads like gothic fiction..

Yow! You aren't kidding. Poor girl.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Also asking for this. Don’t have a washpo sub and I run out super quick without even realizing it so it’d be cool to get a quick rundown if nothing else

Edit: I mean for future articles

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 21:17 on Jul 16, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Apart from the horrific mutiliation/rape/murder stuff this is one of the saddest things this thread has made me feel. I’m so sorry

Thank you. It just sucks how the body can shut down, sometimes. Things stop working and you're screwed.

On the bright(?) side, his funeral was lovely, and I was left his collection of books, so I've been reading a lot of sci-fi - the man loved his Iain M Banks and Terry Pratchett, and I'm simultaneously glad to get to read all of these and wishing he were still around so we could talk about 'em.

e: Pratchett isn't sci-fi but the majority of the collection is, I just find it funny that there's like hundreds of assorted sci-fi authors and yet the two authors he had the most of were Banks and Pratchett - one fits my image of my uncle, and the other...doesn't, but heck, Pratchett's good reading and I'm glad my uncle had good taste!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Also asking for this. Don’t have a washpo sub and I run out super quick without even realizing it so it’d be cool to get a quick rundown if nothing else

Seconding this in general, summaries for links helps me out.

StrixNebulosa has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Jul 16, 2018

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Scathach posted:

Heya depressing job buddy! :smith::respek::smith:

I loving agree. Luckily I don't have kids so anyone else around me when I'm old will be a bitchy old codger too. Hopefully by that time all my friends will be angry, ancient, and not too keen on keeping other old people suffering for their own needs.

I mean, if you never get the diagnosis and have no one around to notice that you're having symptoms, you'll probably just get yourself into a situation that will kill you without realizing it.

I was talking to someone who's mother had gotten dementia and lived kind of remotely in WA. I guess she was mostly independent or didn't need full time care, but her son was working on getting a carer in(btw it's insanely hard to keep steady caregivers because people burn out really bad really fast). He didn't live with her probably because she seemed mostly ok. He left her alone for a few days in late fall and when he came back he found her dead in an outbuilding because she had gone outside underdressed, couldn't figure out how to get back in the house, and got hypothermia and died. And that kind of thing happens all the time.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

StrixNebulosa posted:

The single scariest thing I've ever seen a human body do is what happened to my uncle: he was in his early seventies - old, but not like "i'm going to die" old, right? Wrong.

My grandmother is in an assisted-living facility, and her dementia gets worse every time I see her; the last time I went - between Christmas and New Year's, since she lives near my parents - she insisted I couldn't be me, because I was FAR too tall and "he's only a child!".

But the more unnerving part of going is the woman in a nearby room who's regressed to her childhood; she firmly believes she's a child somewhere before the age of 10, and doesn't understand why she's not at home with her mother and father. She spends much of her time terrified, calling "mama!" in a desperate attempt to get her long-dead mother to come help her. :smith:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

this is only going to continue happening more and more.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I've heard of one woman in a care home who was a holocaust survivor and every time they would put her in a mechanical lift to get her in the bathtub, she'd say "No, you can't do this to me! I'm a mother, I have small children!"

I don't know much about nursing homes in the states but up here in Canada, care home workers tend to distract patients who are regressing to the past instead of telling them the truth. You don't want to tell some sweet 95 year old lady that she's in a nursing home and her mom is dead. She'll (understandably) get really upset, she may punch you and she'll forget what you told her in a few minutes anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rOYmxIWzJI

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 00:58 on Jul 17, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If you want some real nightmare fuel, the film Still Alice with Julianne Moore is far more terrifying than any horror film I've watched.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Yeah generally we just go along with the delusions and try to make them as comfortable and happy as possible. People with dementia can get violently angry if they think someone has done something negative toward them, and they often think everyone is out to harm them or take their things/money. They also obviously have trouble remembering things you've explained before about situations, so simple stuff ends up as an endless loop of anxiety for them. It's better on everyone if people just smile and nod and go along with whatever.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

my mother and i have agreed that if she gets dementia, i will put her out to sea on a boat and let the dolphins take over from there

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

avshalemon posted:

my mother and i have agreed that if she gets dementia, i will put her out to sea on a boat and let the dolphins take over from there

This is beautiful

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Just open the link in a private window. It is what I do in Fire Fox.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

BovineFury posted:

Just open the link in a private window. It is what I do in Fire Fox.

That gets around the paywall?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Sid Vicious posted:

That gets around the paywall?

lol yes, also for nyt

they're so dumb. it applies the article limit but when you reach it you just open a new incognito

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

lol yes, also for nyt

they're so dumb. it applies the article limit but when you reach it you just open a new incognito

This is fantastic news thank you

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ow oof my soft tissue

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

avshalemon posted:

What will Vanya do for you when it’s your time?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

lol yes, also for nyt

I'm pretty sure that's by design. The ones who don't know better will be more likely to pony up, the ones who do will just go incognito and pass that information instead of mirroring the article or doing anything more intrusive

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Dementia is weird, my gran died at 95 and was suffering from it. Yet she could still recognise me every time I saw her. She'd ask about my girlfriend and remember what she worked at. Two minutes later I'd have to remind her who her son was married to. We had to vet her carers by weight, if they were fat she'd spend all of her time giving out to them about being too fat. It's odd what people get hung up on.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

M_Sinistrari posted:

I always considered with the state of police investigation as it was then, it's a wonder that they ever managed to catch anyone responsible for any crime.

Same, some people actually get mad that they weren't all Sherlock Holmes or something, some Ripper books are on a par with ufology.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

I'd legit kill myself if I ended up in that situation, presuming the 7 second limit didn't interfere with something like walking off a building.

Why would you do that? You've finally woken up from your coma and everything is fine.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Seven second cycles of waking up, looking down at your hand, seeing “TO DO: 1. KILL SELF” written on it in Sharpie, and thinking “Huh that’s weird, I wonder who wrote that on my—“ waking up, looking down at your hand, seeing...

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The saga of the Floyd Collins cave rescue.

Collins, one of the few experienced cavers in Kentucky in 1925, got caught 60 feet underground when a rock pinned his leg at Sand Cave. The rescue attempts turned into national news and a local circus.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thank you. It just sucks how the body can shut down, sometimes. Things stop working and you're screwed.

Years back my step-father-in-law developed a bit of a shake in his hand and some weakness in that arm. At first they said "well you tore your rotator cuff and that's causing the problem". He had surgery and they got in there and said "uhh, hmm, it actually isn't torn". So then they thought he had an impinged nerve in his neck or something so gave him exercises and equipment to work on that to help him. Meanwhile it kept getting worse and worse with the weakness in his arm and hand until he couldn't hold a pot in that hand any longer, etc.

Eventually they diagnosed him with Parkinson's. Some bad poo poo, right? But you go on the drugs and you do some preventative exercises and you can still live for a long while without the symptoms being too bad. However, his symptoms keep getting worse, the drugs are giving him all kinds of side effect issues, he's losing weight like crazy...meanwhile they sell their house in NE and move to Florida to try to enjoy the warm weather and beaches etc while they can, but it's a bitch of a move and by this point the disease is affecting his entire body, his balance (part of the reason they had to sell their house anyways is that it had stairs and he couldn't safely walk up them any longer), and driving down to Florida caused all kind of urinary and bowel problems from sitting in one place for so long, etc.

The doctors wonder why it's progressing so fast and ultimately give him the diagnoses of Multiple Systems Atrophy which is basically "Parkinson's that doesn't' respond to drugs and affects you faster".

A couple of years ago he could still walk on his own, though his balance was off and he could easily fall. He could have conversations and take care of himself. At this point now he mostly needs a wheelchair to get around, it's hard to talk loud enough for people to hear or say things clearly, and he has lost most control over bodily functions. There's some mental degradation I think but his mind is mostly fine, but yeah his entire body is just shutting down and it's so tough to see a guy who is a absolutely great person be stricken by this disease and I can't even imagine how terrifying and hard it is for him to be trapped in his body.

I also can't imagine how hard it is on his wife who basically does all of the caretaking of him and I'm legit worried about how that's affecting her and how she'll keep going like this. Oh and neither of them can work now either so I don't know how the hell they're getting by. At least he's technically a vet so he gets some benefits from that I think. Sad thing is that when he dies I know she's going to feel hugely relieved and like a huge weight has lifted off of her but also completely heart broken with grief.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

just open the link in an incognito window dude

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

chernobyl kinsman posted:

just open the link in an incognito window dude

Oh word

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Pirate Radar posted:

What will Vanya do for you when it’s your time?
eat my eyes and i will see through his forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i've been undergoing ECTs again (electroconvulsive treatment, or shock treatment if ya nasty) and this time the prick Dr is doin bi-temporal instead of unilateral zaps. no side effects from the unilateral ones, but these bi-fuckers are turning my memory to mush

like i got out of the hospital and was headed home and quietly inside i was getting very excited to see my dog again because he's a cute lil pug named yoda and i had missed him. then i get in my room and see the cedar box that holds his ashes. he died in my arms a couple of months ago, and i had completely forgotten about it.

i have to use one of those old people pill container thingies with the days of the week and AM and PM spots for my meds because i keep forgetting if i took them and i'll go to take them again unless someone keeps an eye on me.

i went to go get the mail (we have a big mailbox hub for the neighborhood basically, over by the pool) and i forgot which mailbox was mine, then i forgot which way im supposed to walk to get back to my house and didn't bring my phone with me and just had to keep walking around until i saw something familiar

it's like i suddenly became my grandma overnight, like my brains just alzheimied to poo poo. i'm starting to worry that it won't go away and i'll be prematurely 'heimered forever :(