Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Phanatic posted:

Great. You still don't have a material that can withstand the huge number of displacements per atom caused by the intense neutron bombardment of DT fusion. You can't commercialize it if you need to replace your reactor vessel every few years. Ditto for the PFCs, we still don't know what to build them out of that won't sputter off into the plasma and ruin everything. ITER's aiming forr Q=10 at best, for commercial fusion power you need at least Q=20.

We're not going to get commercial fusion working within our lifetime. My money's on "never."

If you change the design of the magnets to a separable clamshell , which the tapes allow, you can pull the entire reactor core out as one big stainless steel unit. If you use a molten lithium salt as the breeder material, thermal transfer system, and neutron shield, you cut down on the tremendous issues with displacement effects, because 99% of the shielding is a liquid, and immune to it.

The PFCs might just be regular wear items and subject to rebuild on a yearly basis. Once you're able to just pull the magnets apart and lift the entire core out, commercial scale modular component fabrication and subassembly shops start making sense, and drive costs down substantially. Even the entire reactor body could be a wear/consumable item. If you need to make 3 of something a year, it's loving stupid expensive. If you need to make 3000 of them, suddenly the tooling costs needed to do it efficiently and cheaply start to make a lot more sense.

A lot of engineering problems can be solved via 'it's cheap enough to throw away when it wears out'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a question that may be OSHA or maybe just someone who frequents this thread knows the answer.

They are building a new off ramp on my daily drive, and I notice every time they get the steel down on the pylons/pillars/whatever those things that support the elevated road is, they have these things attached to them with wires running in between. I’ve attached a small picture showing what I mean. And I was curious what they were.

When I decided that maybe someone in this thread would recognize them it occurred to me they could be for tying off to. But I’d like to know for sure. Just because I’m the curious type. Thanks.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

chitoryu12 posted:

I remember when Jose (the goon mod) stayed in Miami during Hurricane Irma against all reason and other goons telling him to leave because he had never experienced a natural disaster before and he ended up with his balcony flooding because of a blocked drain he couldn't be arsed to clean.

And then he was seriously considering taking a potentially lethal amount of Xanax or something on the flight back home. It's really only luck that he didn't die last year.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have a question that may be OSHA or maybe just someone who frequents this thread knows the answer.

They are building a new off ramp on my daily drive, and I notice every time they get the steel down on the pylons/pillars/whatever those things that support the elevated road is, they have these things attached to them with wires running in between. I’ve attached a small picture showing what I mean. And I was curious what they were.

When I decided that maybe someone in this thread would recognize them it occurred to me they could be for tying off to. But I’d like to know for sure. Just because I’m the curious type. Thanks.

The cables are attachment points for lanyards attached to body harnesses so people don't hit the ground if they fall. The poles get removed when the deck is finished.

Necrosaro fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 16, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Necrosaro posted:

The cables are attachment points for lanyards attached to body harnesses so people don't hit the ground if they fall. The poles get removed when the deck is finished.

Thanks. That’s what I meant when I said they might be for tying off. But that didn’t even occur to me until I considered posting in this thread to see if folks knew what they were for.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I'm sure they were tiny sources and will only hurt someone when they make it into a charm for their 4-year-old, but still.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm the "what a nuclear bomb could do to San Antonio" pictures

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Solar panel, sure.

Gas bottle, uuuuh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Synthbuttrange posted:

Solar panel, sure.

Gas bottle, uuuuh.

It’s better than inside the passenger compartment.

I think.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Volcano hurls big rock at tourists:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38655817/at-least-12-injured-after-lava-explosion-near-tour-boat-off-big-island

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

Solar panel, sure.

Gas bottle, uuuuh.

FRONT
TOWARD ENEMY

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bacon Taco posted:

Meh. Maybe it's just my cynicism as a lawyer, but I am very leery of any statements made by any spouse during a divorce proceeding. They are always self serving and rarely verifiable.

I mean, he is the guy who just called someone who helped save 12 children a pedophile because he made fun of his useless child coffin publicity stunt.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

I'm the "what a nuclear bomb could do to San Antonio" pictures

That's just what San Antonio already looks like.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1018836963317690368

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Gas bottle, uuuuh.

It looks like it's in a bracket bolted down with the spare, and yeah, it's a hell of a lot less safe inside the vehicle with you. Gotta transport it somehow, and that's a decent method.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Platystemon posted:

It’s better than inside the passenger compartment.

I think.

Strangely enough, yes. With the relief valve on it you don't want a propane tank to get too hot, which car interiors tend to be in the middle of summer. the valve blows and floods the car with propane gas, or even just a little, and you won't know it until it's possibly too late; propane's specific gravity is 1.51 I think, about 50% heavier than air so it'll hug the floor really close to all sorts of electronics. If it's mounted high enough on the spare tire bracket or cover or whatever then a collision isn't going to do much unless it's hit by a lifted truck.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Solar panel, sure.

Gas bottle, uuuuh.

Now I wonder if it would be legal to just keep an empty tank like that to use as a super aggressive "baby onboard don't hit me" sticker

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Oh indeed.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Puberty is a strange time for a young machine.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Laundered fuel?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

Laundered fuel?

In many places, diesel is available for purchase by farmers for strictly off-road use. Because it's off-road, it's not subject to the same taxes, and is thus essentially the same product(diesel) but cheaper. Because of the obvious opportunity this presents to just put it in a road-going truck, agricultural diesel is dyed to allow it to be detected. From what I recall, in at least some part of the US, it's dyed red.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

In many places, diesel is available for purchase by farmers for strictly off-road use. Because it's off-road, it's not subject to the same taxes, and is thus essentially the same product(diesel) but cheaper. Because of the obvious opportunity this presents to just put it in a road-going truck, agricultural diesel is dyed to allow it to be detected. From what I recall, in at least some part of the US, it's dyed red.

A company I worked for had a ton of off-road equipment running on dyed diesel, and we had a couple trucks with fuel tanks in the bed to ferry fuel out to them. You were never, ever, ever EVER to use diesel from the tank in the bed to fuel the truck itself, much better to call up a taxi or walk and buy some jerry cans to get some from a station. The red dye gets into the fuel system and is impossible to dilute enough to pull a clean dip test ever again. NY State wouldn't split hairs if it was just a little bit just once to get down the road, or a lot a long time ago. If they see the dye, they could base your fine off what's showing on the odometer.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Red for farm equipment that never drives on the road, skid loaders, generators, etc. Blue for government vehicles. You can run the red stuff if you've got a tractor on your hippie hobby farm or plow your 1/4 mile driveway but otherwise: gently caress you pay your taxes.

Any trace of dye in your tank will get you fined the full amount; you can't just dilute it.
Running un-taxed diesel on the road is tax evasion and the IRS fine is $10/gallon or $1,000, whichever is greater, per-tank.

State fines are often worse, and separate from the IRS fines, and can include jail time for repeat offenders. If you get nailed running it on the road they can head to your farm, audit your tanks, fine you for it and then refer you to the IRS.

My state fines at the $10/gallon or $1,000 rate and multiplies it by how many times the person, or a related person, or any predecessor of the person or related person has been caught. You also have to pay the state taxes on that fuel in addition to the fine. Plus you're still liable to the IRS for tax evasion and whatever fine they decide to dick you with. That's pretty lenient compared to some states.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

That's better suited to the These are the people you share a road with thread over in AI.

Link to Tweet so people can see the picture of the well-used bucket and vice grips: https://twitter.com/NSRoadsPolicing/status/1017568508740284416
That's.. not something that happens overnight. It takes time to rip out the interior and make a bucket look like that. Dude's been on the road like that for a while.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I drove a car equipped with very similar features about 20 years ago. The car belonged to the dealership I worked for, and had recently been traded in. The used cars manager drove it home on a Friday because it was a lot nicer than the usual trade fare we got, and then he had it stolen out of his street and stripped. It was an EL GT Falcon, and they stole everything out of the interior. I drove it back to the dealership with a milk crate and a pair of vice grips for steering, because the used car manager wasn't supposed to have driven it home, and he didn't want to get a tow truck because it would have shown up on the records and gotten him in trouble. So fresh-faced 21 year old me got to commit a series of moving violations, and no one had a camera on their phone, so no pictures of it exist and I didn't get in insane amounts of trouble.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

Red for farm equipment that never drives on the road, skid loaders, generators, etc. Blue for government vehicles. You can run the red stuff if you've got a tractor on your hippie hobby farm or plow your 1/4 mile driveway but otherwise: gently caress you pay your taxes.

Any trace of dye in your tank will get you fined the full amount; you can't just dilute it.
Running un-taxed diesel on the road is tax evasion and the IRS fine is $10/gallon or $1,000, whichever is greater, per-tank.

State fines are often worse, and separate from the IRS fines, and can include jail time for repeat offenders. If you get nailed running it on the road they can head to your farm, audit your tanks, fine you for it and then refer you to the IRS.

My state fines at the $10/gallon or $1,000 rate and multiplies it by how many times the person, or a related person, or any predecessor of the person or related person has been caught. You also have to pay the state taxes on that fuel in addition to the fine. Plus you're still liable to the IRS for tax evasion and whatever fine they decide to dick you with. That's pretty lenient compared to some states.

...tax authorities do not gently caress around.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Lone Badger posted:

The best part is all the stupid poo poo people try to do to filter the dye out of the diesel. Hilarious breaking bad style distillery setups all to avoid the fuel taxes.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
How much of a savings are we talking?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The best part is all the stupid poo poo people try to do to filter the dye out of the diesel. Hilarious breaking bad style distillery setups all to avoid the fuel taxes.

More like moonshiners style I would imagine, Walter White is a professional.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

MisterOblivious posted:

We used dyed diesel in giant 4WD tractors that were occasionally driven on roads(between fields), should we have always been running taxed diesel then?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

We used dyed diesel in giant 4WD tractors that were occasionally driven on roads(between fields), should we have always been running taxed diesel then?

It's only illegal if you get caught.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Please god tell me there are more pictures of this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

du -hast posted:

Please god tell me there are more pictures of this.

It’s goldmined.

Here are Jose’s posts in the thread. His situation is revealed to the thread here

Balcony photo is posted here.

e: Good photos here and here if you want a direct injection.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 17, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

About small transgressions, maybe.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

"hey this will be a much easier way to unload...

poo poo"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lazyhound posted:

Fuel taxes are like 50% of the total price though I imagine it's way less in the US. I've also never seen anyone check your fuel system for color, though I'm not a monster and only drive on gas anyway.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

In the U.K., yes. As long as you never got caught on the roads and told any inspectors you were moving the equipment between fields on a flatbed you’d be fine.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Drone_Fragger posted:

In the U.K., yes. As long as you never got caught on the roads and told any inspectors you were moving the equipment between fields on a flatbed you’d be fine.

What counts as a road in the UK? Do you have those concrete tracks there? I mostly see tractors driving along those.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Drone_Fragger posted:

You can run red diesel in your tractor on public roads to transfer from one field to another, but only for 1500 m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Lazyhound posted:

The average excise tax in the US on a gallon of road-going diesel fuel is about $0.60.

edit: And you can claim a tax credit for using road-going diesel on a farm, so I would think defrauding the government on that side of it would be easier, anyway, but I don't really know. I guess you do have to pay upfront on that scheme, though...