Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

big dyke energy posted:

The amount of people who said "I'll kill myself if I get dementia/can't care for myself anymore" and still end up in a nursing home for years dependant on others is astoundingly high.

Yeah I know, just one of my major hangups about myself is the idea of being a burden, or useless, and I can't think of many more ways to be burdensome long-term than having alzheimers or dementia or the like, so the idea of having something like that makes me horrified. :smith:

StrixNebulosa posted:

The single scariest thing I've ever seen a human body do is what happened to my uncle: he was in his early seventies - old, but not like "i'm going to die" old, right? Wrong.

Watching my stepdad's father go from being one of the most clever and handy folks I'd had the pleasure of knowing to someone forgetting the name of his own son and barely able to move due to cancer that'd spread to his brain and nervous system was one of the worst things I've ever experienced, and that sounds so so much worse. I'm sorry, mate. :(

Celery Face posted:

I've heard of one woman in a care home who was a holocaust survivor and every time they would put her in a mechanical lift to get her in the bathtub, she'd say "No, you can't do this to me! I'm a mother, I have small children!"

:smithicide:

I guess the gist of this post is the concept of losing the main thing I feel makes me who and what I am to what's essentially an unstoppable force of nature is really god drat horrific.

EDIT: Also gently caress I'm sorry, Gatekeeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

ewe2 posted:

Same, some people actually get mad that they weren't all Sherlock Holmes or something, some Ripper books are on a par with ufology.

My favorites are the ones insisting the Ripper was Prince Albert. The mental gymnastics they go through trying to prove it's him despite how heavily documented and observed the Royal Family's actions were daily just crack me up.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Now it was documented that Albert was attending the Duke of Wellington's 49th birthday (and done so by no less than 17 papers, 5 international, 12 local)... BUT WHAT IF! Early into the evening he made a comment to one Miss Marie Duvont of his itchy bum? What if Miss Duvont was a well-known gossip whom he targeted specifically and gave an embarrassing confession, knowing she would spread the word? And she being a fishmonger* and they being royalty, she wouldn't anticipate their embarrassment and refusal to inquire into his state any further. It would give him the perfect cover to leave the estate for four hours and return without incident! And upon seeing Albert's bloodsoaked clothes, his very polite guests would only think, "Good heavens! What an itchy bum!" Of course, Miss Duvont would have been removed by this time for being a fishmonger gossip. And thus, no witnesses! The perfect crime!

* It might normally be odd for a fishmonger to attend a royal party, but I have a a theory she was Count Bruse's illegitimate roommate.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Now it was documented that Albert was attending the Duke of Wellington's 49th birthday (and done so by no less than 17 papers, 5 international, 12 local)... BUT WHAT IF! Early into the evening he made a comment to one Miss Marie Duvont of his itchy bum? What if Miss Duvont was a well-known gossip whom he targeted specifically and gave an embarrassing confession, knowing she would spread the word? And she being a fishmonger* and they being royalty, she wouldn't anticipate their embarrassment and refusal to inquire into his state any further. It would give him the perfect cover to leave the estate for four hours and return without incident! And upon seeing Albert's bloodsoaked clothes, his very polite guests would only think, "Good heavens! What an itchy bum!" Of course, Miss Duvont would have been removed by this time for being a fishmonger gossip. And thus, no witnesses! The perfect crime!

* It might normally be odd for a fishmonger to attend a royal party, but I have a a theory she was Count Bruse's illegitimate roommate.

My god, it’s all so obvious when laid out like that. I’m convinced.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Gatekeeper posted:

i've been undergoing ECTs again (electroconvulsive treatment, or shock treatment if ya nasty) and this time the prick Dr is doin bi-temporal instead of unilateral zaps. no side effects from the unilateral ones, but these bi-fuckers are turning my memory to mush

like i got out of the hospital and was headed home and quietly inside i was getting very excited to see my dog again because he's a cute lil pug named yoda and i had missed him. then i get in my room and see the cedar box that holds his ashes. he died in my arms a couple of months ago, and i had completely forgotten about it.

i have to use one of those old people pill container thingies with the days of the week and AM and PM spots for my meds because i keep forgetting if i took them and i'll go to take them again unless someone keeps an eye on me.

i went to go get the mail (we have a big mailbox hub for the neighborhood basically, over by the pool) and i forgot which mailbox was mine, then i forgot which way im supposed to walk to get back to my house and didn't bring my phone with me and just had to keep walking around until i saw something familiar

it's like i suddenly became my grandma overnight, like my brains just alzheimied to poo poo. i'm starting to worry that it won't go away and i'll be prematurely 'heimered forever :(

I'm sorry, Gatekeeper. That's not an easy thing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Proteus Jones posted:

My god, it’s all so obvious when laid out like that. I’m convinced.

Alan Moore has a great quote in the end matter of From Hell talking about how the Ripper mystery is like a Koch's snowflake in that it's a mystery of infinite detail, down to the daily schedules of dozens of people over a century ago, but it's entirely confined to the limited area of Whitechapel in 1888. A finite area with an infinitely long line.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My dad used to have an elderly couple as neighbors when he was young in the 70s in Philadelphia who had survived the holocaust and had emigrated over, and kids would constantly spray paint and etch swastikas into the side of their house, their mailbox and their car. People can be horrific

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
History has it that Welsh poet Dylan Thomas died from drinking 18 straight whiskeys in a row after a lifetime of hard living. Those are his famous last words anyway. Witnesses number it at 8. But he might have died from neglect.

Dylan had problems with his lungs his entire life and to be fair alcohol, a depressant, didn't help matters. When he arrived in New York City to act in his play Under Milk Wood he was extremely ill but the people who were supposed to take care of him, including his agent, ignored it so he could get on stage. He collapsed several times, sometimes on stage and sometimes right after. After returning to the Chelsea Hotel from the White Horse he collapsed into bed and after a while began to turn blue and unresponsive. His agent, John Brinnen, and the producer of Under Milk Wood, Liz Reitell (also his mistress), took two hours to get him to the hospital. This was after their own personal Dr. Feelgood shot Dylan full of morphine, which, when mixed with the alcohol he already drank, shut his lungs down. When he they finally got him to the hospital, he was in a coma that he never woke up from, his brain obliterated from the lack of oxygen. The post-mortem determined that he died from pneumonia, but Brinnen's PR managed to get out right away that Dylan died romantically from drinking too much. Even if it were true, alcohol intoxication is not a romantic way to die. On the molecular and cellular level it's extremely violent.

While they were dealing with all of this, Dylan's extremely volatile wife Caitlin had flown to NYC and came into the hospital yelling, "Is the bloody man dead yet?" When she saw Dylan's mistress at Dylan's bedside she flew into a rage, had to be put in a straight-jacket and taken somewhere to detox. She wasn't there when Dylan died.

quote:

Killed in America, buried in Laugharne, crucified in Fleet Street.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bean_shadow posted:

alcohol intoxication is not a romantic way to die.

Alcohol related deaths in general are ugly, painful things. My fiancée died of alcoholism. It was horrifying.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah I know, just one of my major hangups about myself is the idea of being a burden, or useless, and I can't think of many more ways to be burdensome long-term than having alzheimers or dementia or the like, so the idea of having something like that makes me horrified. :smith:
If I may offer a slightly cheerier anecdote ...

My grandfather died in his 90s after several years of dementia. He was on hospice care and bedridden for the last two years. Throughout that time, he continued to be the same cheerful, weird old dude he'd been for my whole childhood. He sometimes thought he was late to work (he was a chemistry professor) or that my mom was still a child. Sometimes he thought he was working on chemistry papers, or had conversations with people who weren't there. One time, my mom told me, he asked her for a screwdriver for the project he was working on (in his mind, while bedridden). She handed him a toothbrush and he happily continued to "work" on his imaginary gadget.

It was a bit sad for all of us watching him decline, but I honestly don't think he really noticed the difference.

(I mentioned the toothbrush story to a coworker and she told me she knew a woodworker who made play boards for just that sort of situation - you know, like the ones toddlers have, with gears and latches and handles that don't really do anything? Only he'd make them with real wood and parts, so these elderly guys who were used to handyman work would feel like they were still working on their projects. Apparently they were a big hit.)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

pookel posted:

If I may offer a slightly cheerier anecdote ...

My grandfather died in his 90s after several years of dementia. He was on hospice care and bedridden for the last two years. Throughout that time, he continued to be the same cheerful, weird old dude he'd been for my whole childhood. He sometimes thought he was late to work (he was a chemistry professor) or that my mom was still a child. Sometimes he thought he was working on chemistry papers, or had conversations with people who weren't there. One time, my mom told me, he asked her for a screwdriver for the project he was working on (in his mind, while bedridden). She handed him a toothbrush and he happily continued to "work" on his imaginary gadget.

It was a bit sad for all of us watching him decline, but I honestly don't think he really noticed the difference.

(I mentioned the toothbrush story to a coworker and she told me she knew a woodworker who made play boards for just that sort of situation - you know, like the ones toddlers have, with gears and latches and handles that don't really do anything? Only he'd make them with real wood and parts, so these elderly guys who were used to handyman work would feel like they were still working on their projects. Apparently they were a big hit.)

My experience with being a caregiver for my mother when she was going south from Alzheimers is that early on, patients lose a lot of self-monitoring, so they don't really realize how much they've lost. :smith:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Alcohol related deaths in general are ugly, painful things. My fiancée died of alcoholism. It was horrifying.

Liver or kidney failure?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

pookel posted:

I mentioned the toothbrush story to a coworker and she told me she knew a woodworker who made play boards for just that sort of situation - you know, like the ones toddlers have, with gears and latches and handles that don't really do anything? Only he'd make them with real wood and parts, so these elderly guys who were used to handyman work would feel like they were still working on their projects. Apparently they were a big hit.

Honestly this is a really cool idea. A lot of the elderly in the tribe I work for can still make cedar hats, roses, clothing, etc, and they keep busy doing traditional crafts.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Liver or kidney failure?

Why would you want to know?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Liver or kidney failure?

Everything failure. She had promised to stop and just drank when I was asleep or at work. I woke to her aspirating blood.

It’s been almost 3 years and I’m *still* finding bottles in the damndest of places.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Holy gently caress, I honestly don't even know what to say. My condolences.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Proteus Jones posted:

Everything failure. She had promised to stop and just drank when I was asleep or at work. I woke to her aspirating blood.

It’s been almost 3 years and I’m *still* finding bottles in the damndest of places.

but enough about your mother

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mycroft Holmes posted:

What?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm so sorry. :(

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks, I’ve come to terms with it and it doesn’t hurt as much anymore.

Besides, this isn’t an E/N thread. I was just making a comment on how alcoholism or acute alcohol poisoning is a horrific way to die, since we were on a “bad ways to go” derail.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
*sips whisky* Yep

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Apparently they finally caught the OBEY guy

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Andre how could you

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Wtf you horrible weirdo

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wtf you horrible weirdo

Eh, look at the rap sheet. He's just a low-effort white-noise poster.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

my memory is a bit spotty these days but i seem to recall this being in poor taste bud

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mycroft Holmes posted:

the gently caress is this man

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

see now THIS rings a bell

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I was just trying to be funny. Sorry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I was just trying to be funny. Sorry.

The thing with edgy humor is that you really have to read the room instead of whatever it is you did.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
good edgy humor punches up imho

edit: forgot the story i was going to post, i was tooling around on reddit's creepy wikipedia sub and ran across this :stare:

Sharon Rina Lopatka (September 20, 1961 – October 1996) was an Internet entrepreneur in Hampstead, Maryland, United States, who was killed in a case of apparent consensual homicide. Lopatka was tortured and strangled to death on October 16, 1996, by Robert "Bobby" Frederick Glass, a computer analyst from North Carolina. The apparent purpose was mutual sexual gratification. The case was reportedly the first where a police department arrested a murder suspect with evidence primarily gathered from email messages.

edit: i recently moved and i've been buying furni on craigslist so maybe i shouldnt be reading the "internet killers" article on wikipedia...

Caganer has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Jul 18, 2018

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

A daycare owner tries hanging a toddler and gets caught, flees, hits a pedestrian, bicyclist, and then another driver with her car.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/day-care-owner-gets-probation-trying-kill-child-223552842.html

I feel like her skin color and status as a business owner might have been factors in her sentencing.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Scathach posted:

A daycare owner tries hanging a toddler and gets caught, flees, hits a pedestrian, bicyclist, and then another driver with her car.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/day-care-owner-gets-probation-trying-kill-child-223552842.html

I feel like her skin color and status as a business owner might have been factors in her sentencing.

oh boy, can't wait to see what the sentence wa--

quote:

Judge Jay Quam agreed with the assessment by doctors that Karia was "a low risk" to reoffend. He called her actions "the perfect storm of factors unlikely to ever be repeated."

Defense attorney Brockton Hunter expressed relief on behalf of Karia.

"We came in here with our hearts in our throats," Hunter said.

He said Karia, who has spent 20 months in jail since the incident and will get credit for her time already served, will leave jail no later than Tuesday.
Mothergently caress that judge

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

When my grandpa died, my aunt decided to help memorialize him by turning his shirts into pillows. She created at least four of them and mailed them to my family - one for each of us.

I'm not superstitious, but I can't use the things. At all. Thank goodness Dad understood and didn't force the gift on me. We still haven't told my aunt how weird those things are.

There's something just - profoundly creepy to me about doing that with a dead person's clothes. So of course there's a bunch of them up on pinterest.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
http://time.com/5341460/arizona-state-senate-candidate-killed-mother/

the article posted:

PHOENIX (AP) — A Republican Arizona state Senate candidate has shocked gun control advocates by sharing details about shooting and killing his mother in apparent self-defense more than 50 years ago.

Bobby Wilson, who is running to represent a southern Arizona district, told The Associated Press that he’s not trying to hide anything. He says his mother was “insane” and shot at him with a rifle when he was in bed in their Oklahoma farmhouse one night in 1963. He then shot and killed her — Wilson’s sister also died that night, and the house caught on fire.

“I’m lucky to be alive, twice over,” Wilson said.

Wilson wrote about these events in his 2010 book “Bobby’s Trials” and also mentions them on his website biography. But they caught public interest when he appeared at a Moms Demand Action forum in Tucson earlier this month. Wilson told the crowd he was “living proof” that the only one who can stop someone trying to harm somebody is a “good guy with a gun.”

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

quote:

the article posted:
PHOENIX (AP) — A Republican Arizona state Senate candidate has shocked gun control advocates by sharing details about shooting and killing his mother in apparent self-defense more than 50 years ago.

Bobby Wilson, who is running to represent a southern Arizona district, told The Associated Press that he’s not trying to hide anything. He says his mother was “insane” and shot at him with a rifle when he was in bed in their Oklahoma farmhouse one night in 1963. He then shot and killed her — Wilson’s sister also died that night, and the house caught on fire.

“I’m lucky to be alive, twice over,” Wilson said.

Wilson wrote about these events in his 2010 book “Bobby’s Trials” and also mentions them on his website biography. But they caught public interest when he appeared at a Moms Demand Action forum in Tucson earlier this month. Wilson told the crowd he was “living proof” that the only one who can stop someone trying to harm somebody is a “good guy with a gun.”

So all the other witnesses are dead, and all the evidence was destroyed.

MightyJoe36 has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Jul 18, 2018

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Also, he claimed to have amnesia, so the case against him just eventually ended up being dismissed.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

MightyJoe36 posted:

So all the other witnesses are dead, and all the evidence was destroyed.

Yeah, he's got a version of events that are absolutely contradicted by what evidence exists, which is the version he shared at that event.

What evidence exists is consistent with him having murdered his mother and sister, and then having burned the house down to destroy evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014