Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Does Gamma World 7E need any of the fixes to D&D 4E monster math, or free player feats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Does Gamma World 7E need any of the fixes to D&D 4E monster math, or free player feats?

It came out around Monster Manual 3 so I dont think so

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
After looking at the art of Degenesis, it makes way more sense that the writers went with "he" as the default, gender neutral pronoun for the rules. Goddamn.

Serf posted:

i've been kinda working on something like that in my spare time. taking a lot of inspiration from 4e and the book of nine swords. spells are already handed out for a lot of paths, it wouldn't take a lot of effort to hand out martial techniques

Oh, that's neat. Hope to see it one day linked in the SotDL Discord or thread. :)

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I hear SotDL uses a clock system, is it something I could steal for my upcoming IRL 4e game? I'm trying to build a clock system for 4e in order to put pressure on my players to extended rest sparingly, and I was hoping to just steal already done work.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It does not.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Moriatti posted:

I hear SotDL uses a clock system, is it something I could steal for my upcoming IRL 4e game? I'm trying to build a clock system for 4e in order to put pressure on my players to extended rest sparingly, and I was hoping to just steal already done work.

A clock is literally just a graphical representation of a timer. I'm not sure what else you think is involved but it's literally this simple:

Draw a circle.

Figure out these three things:

1. what causes the clock to tick forward? e.g. an encounter happens, a skill check is failed in specific circumstances, a rest is taken

2. what happens when the clock is filled? e.g. the town is attacked, the bad guy's reinforcements arrive, the ancient evil is unleashed

3. how many segments does the clock have? i.e. how many times can #1 happen before #2 happens

Then divide that circle into that many segments. Multiples of two work well because it's easy to divide a circle that way.

Feel free to have multiple clocks running at the same time, too.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 16, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Moriatti posted:

Shadow of the Demon Lord has:
- random encounters based on passage of time + level of danger in the current area
- buffs that run out based on passage of time
- a rule that states you can only benefit from a rest once every 24 hours

It also just kind of assumes you know what to do with these rules instead of explaining how to use them, which is the important part. (And something I'm still learning and experimenting with as I go.) I definitely would not look to it if you want something ready-made and easy to use even for the system it was written in, never mind porting it to another one.

drrockso20 posted:

It came out around Monster Manual 3 so I dont think so

Moriatti posted:

It does not.

Thanks!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

^ Ah, ok, well, never mind then.

Lemon-Lime posted:

A clock is literally just a graphical representation of a timer. I'm not sure what else you think is involved but it's literally this simple:

Draw a circle.

Figure out these three things:

1. what causes the clock to tick forward? e.g. an encounter happens, a skill check is failed in specific circumstances, a rest is taken

2. what happens when the clock is filled? e.g. the town is attacked, the bad guy's reinforcements arrive, the ancient evil is unleashed

3. how many segments does the clock have? i.e. how many times can #1 happen before #2 happens

Then divide that circle into that many segments. Multiples of two work well because it's easy to divide a circle that way.

Feel free to have multiple clocks running at the same time, too.

Ah ok, That's... That's basically what I was gonna do with 1 being "Extended Rest".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Moriatti posted:

Ah ok, That's... That's basically what I was gonna do with 1 being "Extended Rest".

Honestly I would just tell your players that they get the benefits of an extended rest when they've fought enough encounters, and then fluff that however is convenient in-game -- actual opportunities to rest, being reinvigorated by defeating a powerful foe, immobile and finite sources of magical healing, a literal circle-of-light style save point, whatever.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dazed Save Ends goes into a bunch of home-brewing that may be needed, but it seems fine without that. You can find lists of what the cards are, along with descriptions, if you want to run with a wider range of them without buying the from DriveThruCards/DriveThruRPG.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Honestly I would just tell your players that they get the benefits of an extended rest when they've fought enough encounters, and then fluff that however is convenient in-game -- actual opportunities to rest, being reinvigorated by defeating a powerful foe, immobile and finite sources of magical healing, a literal circle-of-light style save point, whatever.

It's also a good idea to plan how you're going to handle things if the PCs get their asses kicked way worse than expected in the first fight of the day and it looks as if they're not likely to make it to the next scheduled rest. "Well, if they die, they die" is a valid answer if you like that style of play, but a lot of groups are going to want a way out, even if it comes at a cost.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 16, 2018

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I thought about this but I like the idea of them being able to choose which encounters are easy and which are hard. Making those calls on their own in simple terms.

It's the same reason I like putting skill challenges or roleplaying challenges that change the start conditions of the fight.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Moriatti posted:

If you have a few clocks going at a time in one dungeon, you can have the DM check off one clock per short rest (or some other trigger) and check off all clocks on a long rest.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hot take: a 4e skill challenge that says "requires 6 successes before 3 failures" is basically one 6-segment clock, and one 3-segment clock.

For every skill check that passes, you fill in one slice of the 6-segment clock.
For every skill check that fails, you fill in one slice of the 3-segment clock.

If the 6-segment clock gets filled first, the campaign goal is achieved. If the 3-segment clock gets filled first, a campaign setback happens.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That take doesn’t seem even warm.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Jimbozig posted:

If you have a few clocks going at a time in one dungeon, you can have the DM check off one clock per short rest (or some other trigger) and check off all clocks on a long rest.

Maybe, but I feel like pushing short rest out should be a rare thing saved for desperate situations. One of the reasons to run 4e is so your turns are more than "I attack" so I don't like limiting options unless the narrative calls for it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

HP is just an enormous boring clock when you think about it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Moriatti posted:

Maybe, but I feel like pushing short rest out should be a rare thing saved for desperate situations. One of the reasons to run 4e is so your turns are more than "I attack" so I don't like limiting options unless the narrative calls for it.

I just really mean that you want a way to tick the clocks one at a time even if you are going to tick them all with a long rest, which I think you should. If you don't tie it to short rests, you'll have to come up with some other way to do it. (There are plenty of other things you could tie it into like skill rolls, skill challenges if you use them, etc.) The idea wouldn't be to dissuade them from short resting, just to provide a sense of urgency: as they make progress through the dungeon/adventure, the forces arrayed against them are also making progress.

Every time you tick a clock, you foreshadow or reveal something to the players, or you change the conditions on the ground in preparation for when the clock runs out. During a short rest is a good time to do that narratively and in terms of what is happening at the table. You can narrate stuff like "the cave is noticeably hotter than before and you smell something unfamiliar" while the players tick off healing surges and reset their power cards or whatever.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

There is a variant of Spellbound Kingdoms combat rules that works like that.
-snip-

this is insanely cool, thank you for posting this.

player / dm duels are incredibly hard to do well but oh so satisfying when it works. basically if you can bottle baldurs gate 2 mage fights, that's my dream game

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Xiahou Dun posted:

HP is just an enormous boring clock when you think about it.

Yeah, a clock is just a linear notation of something's progress. The reason you draw a clock is because it's evocative.

Whenever I make private clocks, I just write them down as fractions like HP anyway.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Splicer posted:

Zak S is going to have this person killed.

Naw he'll just claim they have a mental illness on his blog and namedrop a trans person he made eye contact with once.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Zak S is going to have this person killed.

the prevailing reaction that I've seen rather seems to be to cast aspersions on the author's credibility by claiming that they didn't read the book, followed by pages upon pages of OSRsplaining

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 16, 2018

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The author's write-up of the actual game they ran was interesting too.

As was their analysis of Wtf was in the rooms

Serf
May 5, 2011

clocks are good. going into our last score before the end of my Scum and Villainy campaign, this is what our clock situation looked like

next time i run a Blades game i'm gonna save all the clocks i make on a separate page because they're very useful and it would be nice to have sort of a visual representation of all the rolls made in the game

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

gradenko_2000 posted:

the prevailing reaction that I've seen rather seems to be to cast aspersions on the author's credibility by claiming that they didn't read the book, followed by pages upon pages of OSRsplaining

I wonder if the people in that thread defending the book know that Zak won't go out with them.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Serf posted:

clocks are good. going into our last score before the end of my Scum and Villainy campaign, this is what our clock situation looked like

next time i run a Blades game i'm gonna save all the clocks i make on a separate page because they're very useful and it would be nice to have sort of a visual representation of all the rolls made in the game

These are extremely good.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Serf posted:

This is beautiful actually.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Serf posted:

Is that in roll20? If so how did you handle shading in the segments? Just doodling over them with the freehand tool?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is that in roll20? If so how did you handle shading in the segments? Just doodling over them with the freehand tool?

there are lots of clocks ready-made to be used for mostly Blades games. the fancy-looking ones are from this pack on the Roll20 store called Time for Treachery, and they are super cool. basically you make/get a bunch of these images and use the rollable tables tool to assign each one to a numbered segment. you then drop the table into the game and mark it as not a drawing so you can give it a name, then use the side tool to change it to the right side whenever it ticks up or down

decided to go looking and found some good free ones:

these are nice and clean, with 6-12 segments in blue and yellow

from the developer of the mecha-based Beam Saber hack, these are awesome sci-fi poo poo:
https://twitter.com/Notaninn/status/988558212348686337

some old west themed clocks from the person making the Fistful of Darkness hack

Serf fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 16, 2018

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

If you designed a ttrpg that could be run in 30 minutes, what would it look like?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Why? What are you looking to get out of an RPG in 30 minutes that you can't get out of a board/card game?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

DalaranJ posted:

If you designed a ttrpg that could be run in 30 minutes, what would it look like?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Zurui posted:

Why? What are you looking to get out of an RPG in 30 minutes that you can't get out of a board/card game?

Oh, my target time is actually 2 hours, I just though I'd get more interesting answers if I exaggerated to the point of absurdity.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

At 30 minutes, go for Four Sherlock Holmes and a Vampire.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

DalaranJ posted:

If you're doing this as a hard time limit, not just a vague target of "game that plays quick," I'd personally advise looking at John Tynes's Puppetland, which is designed to be played in strict one-hour increments. Some design features that come to mind:

* Quick, non-random task resolution, so action moves briskly and people aren't fiddling with dice (Puppetland does mostly narrative resolution by the GM but also has a clear-cut, non-random "compare stats" mechanic in place)
* Straightforward tasks and stakes for the players to avoid dithering/confusion
* Enough bite to the time limit to create a sense of urgency (in Puppetland, one hour is one story, and if the PCs haven't won by the end of that hour, they've lost; either way, the story ends definitively)
* Focus on description and weight to character actions, so every action counts, and general GM leniency in letting characters do things that are even remotely plausible instead of arguing about it, wasting time setting difficulties, etc.
* Having some kind of obvious timer on the table so the players know how much time they have left and can pace play appropriately

Fair warning: Puppetland is an extremely weird game! But it definitely has some good design principles for time-limited gaming.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

i am trying to get some irl friends to run this tonight over discord

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The Nightmares Underneath having fighters do full damage on a miss and double damage on a hit had already made a good impression on me, and then I got to inflation rules. :allears:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Oh jeeze I hope you mean for gold... :ohdear:

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Cassa posted:

Oh jeeze I hope you mean for gold... :ohdear:

Yes. TNU has rules for bringing all your dungeon treasure and flooding the economy with new money.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thefakenews posted:

Yes. TNU has rules for bringing all your dungeon treasure and flooding the economy with new money.

This sounds like one of those ideas which could either be real clever or real tedious depending on the execution, how do they work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminds me of my idea that the D&D economy only exists from the PCs' perspective. More powerful items are more expensive because all the gold they've been spending has caused inflation.