Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
People typically didn't smile in portraits because it was considered undignified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
When you have to sit and stare for ages to pose for a portrait/old fashioned camera it's probably easier to have a neutral expression as you zone out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Having your picture taken before the dawn of consumer cameras meant getting a professional photographer which meant it was a formal affair even after exposure times got shorter.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also people weren't that funny back then.

There were like three jokes people told.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Mekchu posted:

Au contraire, I just learned about the Ain Sakhri Lovers, an 11,000 years old sculpture found in what is today Palestine, that, depending on the viewer's perspective, looks either like a couple having sex, tits, a cock or a vulva which imo is not only really cool but also loving hilarious.

A photo of its front:

And here is a drawing of all possible appearances:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It kind of also looks like a dick doing mitosis.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

System Metternich posted:

Au contraire, I just learned about the Ain Sakhri Lovers, an 11,000 years old sculpture found in what is today Palestine, that, depending on the viewer's perspective, looks either like a couple having sex, tits, a cock or a vulva which imo is not only really cool but also loving hilarious.

A photo of its front:

And here is a drawing of all possible appearances:

So it could be used as a visual tool for showing the basic elements of human sexuality?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mekchu posted:

There were like three jokes people told.

Historians has actually found a lot of roman jokes:
Two fools walk on a road. One of steps off the road to take a leak. When he comes back his friends has written "catch up with me" on a milestone. "No", the fool writes under his friend's message, "wait for me."

A man from Cumae is sentenced to death for a serious crime while his father is travelling. "Wait", the man screams as he is leaving the courtroom, "don't tell my father, he'll kill me!"

One man complains to another: “The slave you sold me died!” “By the gods! – the other replies – “During the time he was in my service, he never did such a thing!”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lmao those are great

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alhazred posted:

A man from Cumae is sentenced to death for a serious crime while his father is travelling. "Wait", the man screams as he is leaving the courtroom, "don't tell my father, he'll kill me!"

This joke has less punch nowadays, with multiple decades between sentencing and execution in the U.S..

You can tell it in China if you are brave, I suppose.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A man from Abdera tries to hang himself but the rope snaps and he bumps his head, he visits a doctor and buys an ointment for his head. Then he goes home and hang himself again.

An astrolog reads a horoscope for a child: "This child is going to be a lawyer and prefect." Shortly afterwards the child dies and mother goes to the astrologer and complains, the astrologer replies: "I swear, if the child had lived he had become all those things!"

A doctor got tired of his patients screaming when he's performing surgery, so he got blunter instruments.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alhazred posted:

One man complains to another: “The slave you sold me died!” “By the gods! – the other replies – “During the time he was in my service, he never did such a thing!”

This is just a Monty Python sketch.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Jul 17, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

chitoryu12 posted:

This is just a Monty Python sketch.

more specifically the dead parrot:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7725079.stm

Article includes three jokes from the 4th century Greek joke book Philogelos:

quote:

• Someone needled a well-known wit: "I had your wife, without paying a penny". He replied: "It's my duty as a husband to couple with such a monstrosity. What made you do it?"

• An Abderite* sees a eunuch talking with a woman and asks him if she's his wife. The guy responds that a eunuch is unable to have a wife. "Ah, so she's your daughter? "

• A misogynist is attending to the burial of his wife, who has just died, when someone asks: "Who is it who rests in peace here?". He answers: "Me, now that I'm rid of her!"

e: "Abdera was a city in Thrace, whose inhabitants bore the brunt of dumb-ethnic jokes since at least the days of Cicero in the first century BCE."
http://www.stoa.org/diotima/anthology/quinn_jokes.shtml

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Jul 17, 2018

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love that Philogelos exists. I love that it shows that some jokes were already old when they were written down nearly two thousand years ago.

I think my favorite ancient text is the Edwin Smith Papyrus. It's not funny at all - it's an Egyptian medical text that is at least 3600 years old. It talks about various types of traumatic injuries - head, neck, chest, limbs - and tells the reader how to treat them if possible, and what to do for the poor sap if no treatment is possible. (This amounts to "sit them up, make them comfortable, wait for them to die or not".) There's a few magic spells in it, but most of the treatments are entirely realistic - wrap wounds or pack them with clean cloth, sew cuts closed, splint fractures, apply raw meat to stop bleeding, or honey to treat a wound long term (keeps the bacteria out). It describes various parts of the brain; it describes spinal injuries that might result in paralysis.

I find it a moving and humbling read. It was written by people who cared about whether their charges lived or died, and presumably it was written so that more people could be helped to recover from trauma. It was also written by people who cared about the reputation of the medical profession. Each injury recommends the reader tell the patient, "this is an ailment I can treat", "this is an ailment I can contend with", or "this is an ailment I can do nothing for". It doesn't have the reader doing unnecessary treatments for fatal injuries, that would inevitably fail to solve the problem and make the reader look bad.

A PDF of the original translation
A more accessible translation, except it's a Flash page

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?
In the 1980s, the daughter of the Panchen Lama, a figure in Tibetan Buddhism second only to the Dalai Lama was adopted by a certain someone you may have heard of

quote:

Li Jie bore a daughter in 1983, named Yabshi Pan Rinzinwangmo.[24] Popularly known as the "Princess of Tibet",[25] she is considered important in Tibetan Buddhism and Tibetan-Chinese politics, as she is the only known offspring in the over 620-year history of either the Panchen Lama or Dalai Lama reincarnation lineages. Rinzinwangmo was schooled in the United States for 10 years where her legal guardian was American actor Steven Seagal,[26] prior to returning to China in 2005.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

IIRC, he's a recognized reincarnation of a high ranking Buddhist as well, but may be taking this life off as a vacation or something.

Here's a link

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mekchu posted:

He also apparently lost vision or something in one of his eyes from boxing sparring which he did on the weekends even as president.

He lost the vision in one eye most likely from boxing while in Harvard. Which makes the whole "continuing to be an rear end kicker for the rest of his life" all the more insane. Bro couldn't see that well to begin with.

On weekends away from presidenting, his guilty pleasure was tennis. He refused to be photographed or even acnowledge his tennis playing, as he believed it to not be a manly persuit.

TR makes up for being a bit grandpa racist by being an UNBELIEVABLE badass for his entire life. Because everyone has faults.

Suspect Bucket has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Jul 18, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah Teddy was one of the least bad US Presidents. Basically none of them have ever actually been good, but there's about a dozen that I wouldn't immediately have shot for being total asses and Teddy is one of them. He did kinda steal Panama but he also ended the war in the Philippines and lots of other decent stuff so, yeah, nobody's perfect but he's cool.

Crazycryodude has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Jul 18, 2018

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I mean, somebody did shoot him and he kept going.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

InediblePenguin posted:

keep in mind that they had exposure times down to nearly-modern brevity by the late 19th century -- if the photo is on cardstock instead of a metal plate, the sitters only had to stay still for a moment, but the serious face for a serious portrait remained a cultural phenomenon for decades after it was no longer caused/required by technological limitations.

My great-grandmother was born in 1900 and she looked stern in photographs until her 70's and 80's (she died in 1999) when she finally decided to "let loose" and smile. You can see the progression as she's stern, and then she sort of smiles, then she actually smiles. You would think she was miserable. But she came from a gregarious and fun family who had infectious laughs. Compared to the family she married into but that's a whole other story.

It's amazing how quickly the movie One Hour Photo became a movie about a dying or dead industry. I think it was already dying quickly when the movie came out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bean_shadow posted:

My great-grandmother was born in 1900 and she looked stern in photographs until her 70's and 80's (she died in 1999) when she finally decided to "let loose" and smile. You can see the progression as she's stern, and then she sort of smiles, then she actually smiles. You would think she was miserable. But she came from a gregarious and fun family who had infectious laughs. Compared to the family she married into but that's a whole other story.

It's amazing how quickly the movie One Hour Photo became a movie about a dying or dead industry. I think it was already dying quickly when the movie came out.

Early on he even makes a joke to a customer that if more people buy digital cameras he’ll be out of a job.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bean_shadow posted:

Any movie about retail in general is about a dead or dying industry

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Except for Clerks, obviously

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

TR makes up for being a bit grandpa racist by being an UNBELIEVABLE badass for his entire life. Because everyone has faults.

I forgot who said it, but there’s a quote on how Teddy Roosevelt is every little boys favorite president, mainly because the things that motivated Teddy Roosevelt are the same things that motivate little boys.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Comrade Koba posted:

I forgot who said it, but there’s a quote on how Teddy Roosevelt is every little boys favorite president, mainly because the things that motivated Teddy Roosevelt are the same things that motivate little boys.

Better the motivations of a boy and the sense of a man than vice versa.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah Teddy was one of the least bad US Presidents. Basically none of them have ever actually been good, but there's about a dozen that I wouldn't immediately have shot for being total asses and Teddy is one of them. He did kinda steal Panama but he also ended the war in the Philippines and lots of other decent stuff so, yeah, nobody's perfect but he's cool.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I miss ERB :(

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/05/27/united-airlines-men-only-executive-service/

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They should bring this stuff back. I can't think of the last time I got a meal on a plane. Even for like 4 hour flights it's usually half a can of soda and peanuts.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

They should bring this stuff back. I can't think of the last time I got a meal on a plane. Even for like 4 hour flights it's usually half a can of soda and peanuts.

I seem to recall reading that something about the different air pressure, use of canned air, etc. makes food just taste bad regardless of how well it's prepared.

Plus, are you really going to pay an extra $50 for a meal you could get for maybe $20 groundside?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
It is something like that, I want to say specifically to do with your sense of smell. Same reason why things taste blah if you can't smell for some reason.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

a civil war story about a woman who pretends to be a teenage boy to fight in the war except she wants in on that sweet FOR MEN ONLY airplane steak

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Solice Kirsk posted:

You get a single meal in international flights. In my experience, flying out of the US at night and arriving in the UK the next morning, you're served breakfast. On the way back, the flight I took left at like 10am and they served dinner.

Both meals were meh, but there was a good amount of fruit cups and bread, which I guess are pretty safe staples.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

That drat Satyr posted:

You get a single meal in international flights. In my experience, flying out of the US at night and arriving in the UK the next morning, you're served breakfast. On the way back, the flight I took left at like 10am and they served dinner.

Both meals were meh, but there was a good amount of fruit cups and bread, which I guess are pretty safe staples.

Yeah, I remember Lufthansa serving me some kind of chicken dish that tasted like hospitals smell not too long ago.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

That drat Satyr posted:

You might get two meals on transpac flights. I did on ORD-HKG.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Plus, are you really going to pay an extra $50 for a meal you could get for maybe $20 groundside?

Maybe not, but I would pay $100 extra dollars to guarantee there are no children on the flight.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe not, but I would pay $100 extra dollars to guarantee there are no children on the flight.

Same, man. Same. I'm about to make that US>UK flight and the dread of knowing I'm going to be stuck in front of a kid that kicks the seat the whole time, and 1000 other babies screaming and running amok is very real.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hire this man, Airlines.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The 5 course dinner in Qatar airlines business class was pretty drat good. Domestic first meals pale in comparison. The biscuit with chorizo gravy breakfast is p good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Peanut Butler posted:

a civil war story about a woman who pretends to be a teenage boy to fight in the war except she wants in on that sweet FOR MEN ONLY airplane steak

oh Terry Pratchett how I miss your crazy ways