Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Taear posted:

I got the Shroud event that gives you that Avatar thing but nothing actually happened when I did it.
Is it a known bug? I'm pretty disappointed.

Have you checked if you got an army? At least one event rewards a powerful army unit instead of the flying avatar thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I've started playing around with the star trek mod and it's really good! Ambitious, even. One of the loading screen quotes was that zap brannigan line about making it with a woman attributed to gul dukat and I thought that was really funny. All the changes seem kind of overwhelming, though, is there a newbie guide anywhere?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Has anyone here had success with Barbaric Despoilers? Their raiding stance seems really lacklustre to me, since you lose migrations and could just eat the planet the normal way. It's a shame when the RP is so strong in this one.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Given the tone of the incoming update I expect you'll also start nicking rare minerals as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For defense platforms I tend to go with large-size railgun types until I get kinetic artillery and replace the railguns with those. An even mixture of shields and armor, with targeting computers or whatever the +5 hit chip thing is, until I possibly get enigmatic stuff and then switch to that.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Defense platforms is max ion cannons all the time.

Reposting for the new page since I’m still stuck on it:

Nightgull posted:

Is it only possible to selectively genocide purge pops? I want to abandon a planet that I can’t really make use of but don’t want to get rid of the entire species that lives on it - most of them are slaves on my other planets. But selecting purge all on planet does the skull face purge, which I assume will make everyone pissed at me, including my overwhelming ally.

Should probably say “is it possible to selectively displace purge pops?”

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well yes, I guess I mean until you get to citadel with ion cannon tech, the suggestions work for non-citadels.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sedisp posted:

We have a benevolent democratic government where all species are represented and life is a utopian abundance of prosperity forall beings....

Pops: But.... why dont we have a king?

:smugdon:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What part of the first paragraph in any way applies to the US.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1019170399102341120

Why hello there Victoria 3.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
That revving sound you can hear is the Hype Engine entering overdrive.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Population controls: no

My wrists are crying with happiness.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Splicer posted:

Population controls: no

My wrists are crying with happiness.

Bored robot nobles building Frankenstein children. :allears:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

THE BAR posted:

Has anyone here had success with Barbaric Despoilers? Their raiding stance seems really lacklustre to me, since you lose migrations and could just eat the planet the normal way. It's a shame when the RP is so strong in this one.

I have, though I did it largely for the RP of being a complete rear end in a top hat, along with taking the biological ascension path. You're not a full genocidal empire, but you're kinda leaning that way, and so it creates a situation where you need to deal with people generally not liking you but not -1000 opinion's worth of not liking you, which creates challenges to deal with - other empires declaring wars of ideology against you for example. Also I don't really like playing wide, so I found the idea of abducting slaves back to my few core systems to be fun.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Aethernet posted:

That revving sound you can hear is the Hype Engine entering overdrive.

Stellaris 3.0 looking good.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Thanks for robbing me of all will to play Stellaris until the changes are made, Wiz. Again.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Housing needs? Some sort of ring resource (luxuries, may be?)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Some determined exterminators spawned nearby. 2 guys attacked them later on, and I thought it would be a good idea to dogpile 'em with my best buddy.

There's just one problem: my best buddy gets all the conquered star systems, altough I do the conquering. I tried to lay claims on planets but game says I can't lay claims.

Why does that happen, and how can I get the planets for myself? Try to get a peace and after the cooldown leave my buddy out of the war?

My war weariness is so high though my only option for ending the war is surrendering to the exterminators...

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Gyshall posted:

How are you goons outfitting your platforms? I usually go with a even mix of weapon tiers, with small/small, medium/missles, heavy/PD, and then variants (for pulsars or other systems where I want to specialize)

Hangers still seem poo poo compared to small/small.

My first run platforms early on are s and g sections with 2x kinetics, 2x lasers, and 2x missiles, they seem effective

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Ihmemies posted:

Some determined exterminators spawned nearby. 2 guys attacked them later on, and I thought it would be a good idea to dogpile 'em with my best buddy.

There's just one problem: my best buddy gets all the conquered star systems, altough I do the conquering. I tried to lay claims on planets but game says I can't lay claims.

Why does that happen, and how can I get the planets for myself? Try to get a peace and after the cooldown leave my buddy out of the war?

My war weariness is so high though my only option for ending the war is surrendering to the exterminators...

Wars with determined exterminators are a type of Total War, where any system you take is instantly yours, claims aren't involved at all. I'd guess what is happening here is that while you took the system, your buddy is the one actually invading the planets, and planet ownership trumps system ownership.

You having 100% war exhaustion just means THEY can force YOU to accept a status quo. You don't have to surrender, and you can keep fighting until either they enforce the status quo or you get them to 100% exhaustion -- at which point you can force a status quo.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Ihmemies posted:

You can't make claims against 'genocidal' empires like Determined Exterminator. If your ships are the ones that destroy the starbase, and you capture any planets, the systems should go to you automatically. If they're going to your ally instead despite the ally not participating in the system taking that seems like a bug? Also, are you unable to status quo peace? If you surrender to a determined exterminator I'm pretty sure your game is over. Edit: also what kujeger said.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Might be he claimed the systems earlier, before the Exterminators took them. I guess then they would go to him?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yes. Also if you own something and then lose it you get a bunch of free claims on it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This also leads to the stupid "your claims on them" negative opinion modifier that can get quite significant at times. Also happens when your vassals lay claims, though I think they might have fixed that in the latest patch, or plan to?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Last time I was involved in a total war, capturing systems gave them to whichever empire was closest. If the system bordered me, I got it. If it bordered my Exterminator buddies, they got it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Pops to have both jobs and classes. Nice.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Black Pants posted:

I have, though I did it largely for the RP of being a complete rear end in a top hat, along with taking the biological ascension path. You're not a full genocidal empire, but you're kinda leaning that way, and so it creates a situation where you need to deal with people generally not liking you but not -1000 opinion's worth of not liking you, which creates challenges to deal with - other empires declaring wars of ideology against you for example. Also I don't really like playing wide, so I found the idea of abducting slaves back to my few core systems to be fun.

That's one of my issues - if you're going biomancy, you can just create your own tailor-made pops. Getting more people is nice, but you're still burning time modeling them into what you need, and you kill a civic for it. Next DLC is gonna be supremely interesting for this.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

GunnerJ posted:

Pops to have both jobs and classes. Nice.

Yeah it looks a bit like Vicky, in a good way.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have such a boner for that tweet

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Wiz, unable to fix the black box that was Victoria 2's economy, has decided to take out his frustrations on Stellaris instead.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

Last time I was involved in a total war, capturing systems gave them to whichever empire was closest. If the system bordered me, I got it. If it bordered my Exterminator buddies, they got it.

Here's an image:

Exterminators had a bastion in Chatiib. My buddies up there decided it's too tough nut to crack when war started, so they sent all their fleets on a years-long grand detour to circle the bastion. While they were doing that, I started conquering from Jaltham and got all the red circled areas on bottom right. I built a shipyard on Serpess to fix my fleet (because I was lazy), and while at it my buddies finally got there and went to Pentarum.

In Pentarum they killed the starbase but didn't had transports to conquer the planet, so I conquered it with my troops, and the rest of the systems systems in blue color, starting from Pentarum. Every system and planet I took flipped to my buddies immediately.

I could just roll over the rest of the exterminator planets which they still have in yellow, but I don't want to do it if my buddies get all of them. Did they have claims on those blue circled planets or what, how can I know so I won't make any more mistakes? I'm not that benevolent that I would give rest of the planets to them...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I loaded an earlier autosave, went to claims mode and hovered over every planet. Seems they have all those planets claimed. Doh. Seems they'll get Erdosca, Tir and some other planets still but I can get the rest. Well if I don't like the arrangement, I can get the planets for myself later (probably). Seems that it's best to hover over every planet before going to war so you know what will happen with the systems.

Edit: apparently even the unclaimed systems go to my buddies. Welp and status quo has -9 modifier and they won't accept peace. Time to peace out with my fleets then and see how my buddy fares solo vs exterminators, they still have a 9,5k fleet left.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 17, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Nightgull posted:

Yeah it looks a bit like Vicky, in a good way.

Is there any good way to look at Vicky?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Epicurius posted:

Is there any good way to look at Vicky?

Yes. Every way in fact

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Senor Dog posted:

Yes. Every way in fact

:hai:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ihmemies posted:

I loaded an earlier autosave, went to claims mode and hovered over every planet. Seems they have all those planets claimed. Doh. Seems they'll get Erdosca, Tir and some other planets still but I can get the rest. Well if I don't like the arrangement, I can get the planets for myself later (probably). Seems that it's best to hover over every planet before going to war so you know what will happen with the systems.

Edit: apparently even the unclaimed systems go to my buddies. Welp and status quo has -9 modifier and they won't accept peace. Time to peace out with my fleets then and see how my buddy fares solo vs exterminators, they still have a 9,5k fleet left.

You ran into something that made me abandon a game a few weeks ago. I was in a federation with a few AIs, went to war, did all the work killing a FE and a fed member who didn't even share a border got most of the systems because he plopped down some claims during the war. I was pissed so I started a new game over it (it was almost over anyways).

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Senor Dog posted:

Yes. Every way in fact

I could never figure out Victoria'a economy, with like 20 different types of pops, all of which needed a different amount of 50 different goods and could only do certain things. I'd build a factory that made stuff my pops needed, it would make money for the first two months and then go out of business, and I could never figure out why it made a difference whether there were 5271 Bengali clergy in Calcutta or 5352.

In other words, I found the Vic and Vic2 pop and economy systems overly granular and opaque.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
Can you get multiple Shroud benefits?

is there ever a time that you would want to trigger the End of Cycle event thing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very Hype for a more in depth societal aspect to stellaris, honestly I really just like building cool space societies in the game so it's right in my wheelhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CoolHandMat posted:

Can you get multiple Shroud benefits?

is there ever a time that you would want to trigger the End of Cycle event thing

If you considered the game "done" when you see the win screen then end of cycle could help with that I suppose.