Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Try to imagine getting so mad about pictures that you get kicked out of town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Arglebargle III posted:

That's about, what, a quarter of the bans we have around here?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Arglebargle III posted:

"56k get out" on a whole new level.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hot new Islamic meme causing strife in the Roman Empire fandom

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Epicurius posted:

There's a story by Macrobius that, when Augustus returned to Rome, a guy presented him with a raven that said "Hail, Augustus, our savior, hero of Actium!", and Augustus paid him a whole bunch of money for it. The guy's partner got upset because the raven trainer ripped him off, so he told Augustus, "Make him show you the other raven." Turns out the guy had a second raven who he had trained to say, "Hail Antony, our savior, hero of Actium!" Augustus just laughed and told him to share the money with his partner.

Macrobius went on to say that, when somebody else heard about this, he trained a raven to praise Augustus, but he had trouble getting it to say anyrhing, so he shouted at it, "All my time and money for nothing!" Eventually, though, he got it to talk, and brought it to Auguatua, who just said, "Thanks. Already got a talking raven." At which point, the raven just said, "All my time and money, for nothing!", and Augustus bought it.

yes but where's the raven that screams "quintilius varrus, give me back my legions!!"?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Jazerus posted:

yes but where's the raven that screams "quintilius varrus, give me back my legions!!"?

That's one of Wotan's ravens. It says it, and Wotan just laughs and laughs.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was there ever a pets in rome post? I'm sure they kept to some degree the typical working animal pets (dogs and cats) and the super rich had some more exotic ones (including the weird guy with lampreys) but I don't know exactly where to find it.

I remember coming across a grave inscription that was apparently taken from just outside of rome, that went something like "*insert dog name here*, dog of *insert shopkeeper name here*: He never barked inappropriately, or bit any customer at the storefront. Let he who guarded his master, now guard his master's grave"

I'm tearing my hair out trying to remember the name of some roman literary figure who also has a long, random digression on his pet dog, her "excellent qualities," good names for dogs, and the general salutary effect of owning a pet. I remember it being remarkable for how genuinely similar to modern experience his pet ownership was, stuff like how she would jump up for kisses, "could distinguish between friends and strangers," was a great companion on country walks, etc. It ends with him defending the tangent because he (paraphrasing) "wants to preserve for posterity the memory of blahblah, who was surpassing in every canine respect"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Fuligin posted:

I'm tearing my hair out trying to remember the name of some roman literary figure who also has a long, random digression on his pet dog, her "excellent qualities," good names for dogs, and the general salutary effect of owning a pet. I remember it being remarkable for how genuinely similar to modern experience his pet ownership was, stuff like how she would jump up for kisses, "could distinguish between friends and strangers," was a great companion on country walks, etc. It ends with him defending the tangent because he (paraphrasing) "wants to preserve for posterity the memory of blahblah, who was surpassing in every canine respect"

Arrian of Nicomedia, the fan of Xenophon

quote:

I have myself bred up a hound whose eyes are the greyest of the grey; a swift, hardworking, couragious soundfooted dog, in her prime, a match, at any time, for four hares. She is, moreover (for while I am writing, she is still alive), most gentle and affectionate, and never before did any dog have such regard for myself and my friend and fellow sportsman Megillus. For, when not actually coursing, she's never away from one or the other of us. But while I'm at home, she stays within, by my side, accompanies me when I go abroad, follows me to the gymnasium, and, while I'm taking exercise, sits down by me. On my return, she runs before me, often looking back to see whether I had turned anywhere off the road, and as soon as she catches sight of me, shows her joy and keeps trotting on before me. If I'm going out on business, she remains with my friend, and does the same towards him. She's the constant companion of whoever is sick, and if she has not seen either of us, even for just a little while, jumps up repeatedly and barks with joy, as a greeting to us. At mealtime, she pats us first with one foot and then another, to remind her that she is to have her share of food. She also has many tones of speech, more than I ever knew in any other dog, pointing out in her own language, what she wants.

As she was beaten as a puppy with a whip, if anyone, even to this day, mentions a whip, she'll come up to the speaker cowering and begging, putting her mouth to the man as if to kiss him, and jumping up, will hang on his neck, and not let him go until she has appeased his anger.

Her name was Horme, which can be translated as Dash.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fuligin posted:

I remember coming across a grave inscription that was apparently taken from just outside of rome, that went something like "*insert dog name here*, dog of *insert shopkeeper name here*: He never barked inappropriately, or bit any customer at the storefront. Let he who guarded his master, now guard his master's grave"

ARg I remember reading about that dog I will try to find it

Edit I eventually found it by forum searching this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDh2zGgVZzM&t=322s

quote:

While I am at home she remains by my side, and accompanies me when I go out, following me to the gymnasium, and, while I am exercising, sits by me. On my return home, she runs in front of me, often looking to see whether I had turned off the road; and as soon as she catches sight of me, shows symptoms of joy, and again, turns and trots in front of me. If I am going out on any government business, she remains with my friend, and treats him exactly the same. If she has not seen either of us for a short time, she jumps up repeatedly by way of greeting, and barks with joy. At meals she pats us, with one foot and the other, to remind us to feed fer.

Having been beaten with a whip as a puppy, if anyone, even to this day, mentions a whip, she will come up to the speaker cowering and begging, and will jump up and hang on their neck, applying her mouth to theirs as if to kiss them, and will not let go until she is appeased.

Now really I do not think that I should be ashamed to write the name of this dog; so that it may be left to posterity.

[I] had a greyhound named Horme, who was of the greatest speed and intelligence and, was altogether excellent.

It's from Arrian's Cynegeticus, modelled on Xenophon's Cynegeticus, which should have been like my second guess

Everything below that is from other links I surfed before I wised up and realized what I was looking for:

https://www.thedodo.com/9-touching-epitaphs-ancient-gr-589550486.html

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/miscellanea/canes/canes.html

http://www.isvroma.it/public/pecus/kitchell.pdf

https://foundinantiquity.com/2013/11/15/the-melitan-miniature-dog/
https://www.quora.com/How-were-dogs-and-cats-treated-in-Europe-during-the-Roman-empire

Martial wrote an epigram to a dog:

quote:

CIX. ON A PET DOG AND THE PAINTER.

Issa is more playful than the sparrow of Catullus. Issa is more pure than the kiss of a dove. Issa is more loving than any maiden. Issa is dearer than Indian gems. The little dog Issa is the pet of Publius. If she complains, you will think she speaks. She feels both the sorrow and the gladness of her master. She lies reclined upon his neck, and sleeps, so that not a respiration is heard from her. And, however pressed, she has never sullied the coverlet with a single spot; but rouses her master with a gentle touch of her foot, and begs to be set down from the bed and relieved. Such modesty resides in this chaste little animal; she knows not the pleasures of love; nor do we find a mate worthy of so tender a damsel. That her last hour may not carry her off wholly, Publius has her limned in a picture, in which you will see an Issa so like, that not even herself is so like herself. In a word, place Issa and the picture side by side, and you will imagine either both real, or both painted.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

"An early experiment in steam power was performed by the architect of Hagia Sophia, Anthemios. He had a neighbor, Zenon, a lawyer, who had blocked his view with a structure. Unable to defeat him in court, Anthemios contrived the following. In a part of his basement that was underneath Zenon's house, he built vats and connected their sealed lids to the beams of the floor above. He brought the water inside them to a boil, making the floor shake and causing Zenon to rush out into the street in terror. Zenon was mocked for asking whether others had suffered damage from the earthquake. Anthemios earned the nickname 'Zeus the Thunderer' and 'Poseidon the Earth-Shaker'. These devices found no other use, being merely the 'fine toys' of an inventive mind.

Anthemios also used arrays of focused mirrors to send dazzling light into Zenon's house, a trick on which he wrote a treatise, which survives."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Seriously. And knowing that massive douche designed the greatest building in Europe.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Fuligin posted:

I like to think that life back in those days was not that different from life today. Religions changes, the way politics worked is different, but every day life? Probably much the same.
I'll point to cock drawings everywhere as ample evidence of my claim.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Grand Fromage posted:

Seriously. And knowing that massive douche designed the greatest building in Europe.

Which building is this?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hagia Sophia, as the original post said.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Truly the spirit of the most inventive minds is best nourished by having a hate boner for some dude

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Depends, sometimes the other guy trolls you so hard you just get angry enough to spit blood and die.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
No Kongmings allowed.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Grand Fromage posted:

By no evidence I mean there's been DNA analysis that turns up no evidence of a connection to Anatolian populations.

I mean... pretty sure it is actually not uncommon for at least Southern Italians to have some very old genetic connections to Anatolia. But just in the sense that most Euros around that part of the continent are going to have genetic connections to extremely early human migrations from that direction, and later farmer migrations too.
But that isn't anything specific to southern Italy let alone ancient central Italy.

Sorry if this is pedantic.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

skasion posted:

Hagia Sophia, as the original post said.

If it blocked the other guy's view I will just lose it

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was there ever a pets in rome post? I'm sure they kept to some degree the typical working animal pets (dogs and cats) and the super rich had some more exotic ones (including the weird guy with lampreys) but I don't know exactly where to find it.

Not rome, but wasn't their a very very minor Greek philosopher who wrote a poem-ode to his magnificent dog?

edit: Arrian of Nicomedia, thanks thread

CountFosco fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 19, 2018

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

Grape posted:

I mean... pretty sure it is actually not uncommon for at least Southern Italians to have some very old genetic connections to Anatolia. But just in the sense that most Euros around that part of the continent are going to have genetic connections to extremely early human migrations from that direction, and later farmer migrations too.
But that isn't anything specific to southern Italy let alone ancient central Italy.

Sorry if this is pedantic.

If I recall the DNA evidence is between Nother Italian people's and who ever was on the other side of the Adriatic sea. I've always read that Latins were a sort of proto barbarian group that was likely invited into the region which may have formed some oral basis for their own narrative about Troy.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I wonder how many rulers that started out good but later became evil, just had neurosyphilis. Big harem of bitches and no condoms.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

ChocNitty posted:

I wonder how many rulers that started out good but later became evil, just had neurosyphilis. Big harem of bitches and no condoms.

None in the ancient world, syphilis is a new world disease.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Just blame it on lead instead.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

well, it wasn't syphilis, but yeah brain illness precedes a lot of cases like that. caligula is the classic example

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Jazerus posted:

well, it wasn't syphilis, but yeah brain illness precedes a lot of cases like that. caligula is the classic example

When I was listening to the History of Rome podcast, i was left with the impression that Caligula's reign of terror wasn't actually sudden, or right after his illness like people suggests, and was only a convenient event in his life that people would point to: before this = good, after this = bad.

From what I understood, it seems like he might have already been crazy but people were just so glad Tiberius was dead, they kind of overlooked it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Caligula’s life is not especially well sourced relative to the other Julio-Claudian emperors so its a bit hard to judge his character at any given time. Suetonius accuses him of boasting later that he had attempted to murder Tiberius on Capri, and both Suetonius and Tacitus implicate him in Tiberius’ eventual death; but since both men were so little liked and both authors possessed of so much hindsight, it’s hard to say how unfavorably they mean that to reflect on Caligula’s early life. Nonetheless, they broadly agree that Caligula’s reign was at first (37-38) marked by passionate popular acclaim and that it wasn’t until late 38 or 39 that Caligula began knocking people off to get their money and running into serious problems with the Senate. Then in 40-41 he started pushing the self-deification thing.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

skasion posted:

Caligula’s life is not especially well sourced relative to the other Julio-Claudian emperors so its a bit hard to judge his character at any given time. Suetonius accuses him of boasting later that he had attempted to murder Tiberius on Capri, and both Suetonius and Tacitus implicate him in Tiberius’ eventual death; but since both men were so little liked and both authors possessed of so much hindsight, it’s hard to say how unfavorably they mean that to reflect on Caligula’s early life. Nonetheless, they broadly agree that Caligula’s reign was at first (37-38) marked by passionate popular acclaim and that it wasn’t until late 38 or 39 that Caligula began knocking people off to get their money and running into serious problems with the Senate. Then in 40-41 he started pushing the self-deification thing.

How unpopular can you be if you're the guy after Tiberius and are rumored to have killed him?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the cruel ironies of the bad emperors who everybody hates is that after you kill them, you're a guy who just murdered the emperor, and everybody hates you too, especially all the people in power who don't like setting precedent.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dalael posted:

I like to think that life back in those days was not that different from life today. Religions changes, the way politics worked is different, but every day life? Probably much the same.
I'll point to cock drawings everywhere as ample evidence of my claim.

People are the same, life in historical times can sometimes be radically different, but people are people. We talked about it before, but the reason I have such an interest in Rome is the sheer amount of humanizing evidence we have from them. The vindolanda tablets are so relatable it is shocking the first time you read them.

My favorite is the one from a mother sending her son extra socks because she is worried he will be cold in the far north.

http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/4DL...isplayEnglish=1

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WoodrowSkillson posted:

My favorite is the one from a mother sending her son extra socks because she is worried he will be cold in the far north.

http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/4DL...isplayEnglish=1
"Say hello to your squadmates for me." She knows who he messes with--they've talked before about this. And she cares for them too. :3:

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
The Vindolanda tablets are awesome, and also where I learned about the barely legible copy that is Roman cursive :psyduck:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How was fish prepared/cooken/eaten in Roman/ancient times? I listened to the Parable of the Feeding of the Multitudes yesterday and it occurred to me that they probably didn't fry them up like we do.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Apicius provides a couple fried fish recipes, and a lot of boiled or broiled fish recipes. A number of them recommend you cook in oil and broth, usually with wine or vinegar.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

How was fish prepared/cooken/eaten in Roman/ancient times? I listened to the Parable of the Feeding of the Multitudes yesterday and it occurred to me that they probably didn't fry them up like we do.

Most translations of Luke 24 42 describe a piece of fish eaten by Jesus as broiled/roasted. The greek word is ὀπτοῦ, apparently. When Jesus comes back from the dead in John, he cooks his disciples a fish breakfast over a charcoal fire. They roast a fish in Tobit, don't know what the original word used was.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I wonder how early batter was invented.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

feedmegin posted:

I wonder how early batter was invented.

I know chips aren't coming until much later, but if I could get some malt vinegar, please.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I wish someone would make a documentary about Elagabalus. I know his rein was short and he didnt accomplish much as far as politics or military, but he was so hosed up and weird that it would still be entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

I wish someone would make a documentary about Elagabalus. I know his rein was short and he didnt accomplish much as far as politics or military, but he was so hosed up and weird that it would still be entertaining.

Neil Gaiman did a short graphic novel about him. It was kinda meh, okay. Didn't really capture how sad of a character that poor weird kid was. But yeah, he deserves his own doc. It would just be tough to do it in a way that didn't make trans people look bad.