Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm only rounding out everyone's chapter 1 stuff now.

But Tressa/Cyrus seem like they're completely bananas compared to everyone else.

The action economy that gift BP provides is absolutely insane, since in effect you're allowing your most effective party member to act twice. That it's dirt cheap is incredibly helpful.

Cyrus, jesus christ Cyrus is some sort of machine of death. He's hitting for 1.5k in an area now and I'm level 15 or something? The man will just chunk a quarter of a boss' health without skipping a beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Ok yeah getting the stealing rate up bonus in Grandport is ridiculous. It's far, far more effective than the boost I've seen in any other location and I have to wonder if it's actually bugged. Either way, it certainly gives a nice windfall. Which is welcome considering to repair reputation there costs 100k.

I need to stop exploring so much. Only 2 chapter 2s down so far but Therion's in to the 40s with everyone else up in to the 30s. Barring some real bad luck I can stomp the poo poo out of level area 50 encounters too. Not bosses though. Those still wreck me easily, which sucks because I really want to unlock the 4 extra bonus jobs. Also found out that if a spell hits multiple times each hit takes a count off the magic reflect buff, which is some bullshit because it means the game's reflect ability is useless against any high level caster boss for the most part.

Pharohman777 posted:

Really, the rogue/noble path actions actually have a pretty great system going where having 2 that do the same thing in a party is viable and encouraged

For instance, inquire/scrutinize requirements can differ massively.
In alfyns hometown, there is a old lady who is super hard to scrutinize, only giving a 14% chance to a level 14 cyrus. Alfyn can inquire her almost right off the bat.
And a lot of currently inquireable npcs can give 70% or lower chances to a cyrus.

You can also use Cyrus to tell what sort of results (if any) an NPC's going to have when you scrutinize them. For me if I see a 96% I know they have nothing. 80% is a hidden item, 64% is something like more items in shops, quest info, or maybe a hidden item.

Your Computer posted:

If I remember correctly, wasn't Bravely designed with the damage cap in mind? Like, the only way you could break it was with the extremely overpowered streetpass thing right? I can't remember breaking it (no streetpass) and can't remember it ever being a problem.

Sounds like a bigger problem in this game though, potentially.

You could break it with the friend summon stuff or your own equivalent super skill mechanic, iirc. I remember goons who had completely absurd setups that did hundreds of thousands of damage (and eventually over a million) when used.

screech on the beach posted:

I must’ve done something wrong or I suck at the game. Just finished all 8 chapter 1’s but everyone’s levels are spread out from 9 to 18. Every zone I go in is either too high and I get killed really fast or I’m over leveled and get low xp and jp. What should I do?

Explore. Go unlock all 8 jobs as subclasses.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Natural 20 posted:

But Tressa/Cyrus seem like they're completely bananas compared to everyone else.

The action economy that gift BP provides is absolutely insane, since in effect you're allowing your most effective party member to act twice. That it's dirt cheap is incredibly helpful.

Cyrus, jesus christ Cyrus is some sort of machine of death. He's hitting for 1.5k in an area now and I'm level 15 or something? The man will just chunk a quarter of a boss' health without skipping a beat.

I'd say Tressa and Cyrus have some of the best default skillsets in the entire game because Donate BP is extremely useful and Scholar is your only source for multi-hit elemental attacks that actually deal good damage for most of the game. Alfyn meanwhile has one of the best talents, and his skillset is especially designed to complement it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

With most encounters I have two options: systematically break everything and kill them, or grant two BP to Cyrus and use a max boosted double lightning and kill the gently caress out of everything

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Cyrus is great early on because of Scholar, but you can get it as a subjob for anyone else easily after Chapter 1. One of the advanced/hidden jobs (Sorcerer) makes Scholar irrelevant and stacking it on Cyrus is a waste.
You are better off making your main Scholar (later Sorcerer) Primrose or Therion, who are the two fastest characters in the game.

Cyrus:
- highest EATK (104), second lowest SPD (72 - tied with Tressa)
Primrose:
- second highest EATK (96), highest SPD (104)
Therion:
- second lowest EATK (80 - tied with Alfyn and H'aanit), second highest SPD (96)

The stat nuts scale based on a character's base lv1 stats so they are more efficient at making someone better at something they're already good at instead of shoring up weaknesses.
In the late/post game, Primrose moves before the enemy and clears the map without caring about breaking.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Gyoru posted:

Cyrus is great early on because of Scholar, but you can get it as a subjob for anyone else easily after Chapter 1. One of the advanced/hidden jobs (Sorcerer) makes Scholar irrelevant and stacking it on Cyrus is a waste.
You are better off making your main Scholar (later Sorcerer) Primrose or Therion, who are the two fastest characters in the game.

Cyrus:
Primrose:
Therion:
- second lowest EATK (80 - tied with Alfyn and H'aanit), second highest SPD (96)

The stat nuts scale based on a character's base lv1 stats so they are more efficient at making someone better at something they're already good at instead of shoring up weaknesses.
In the late/post game, Primrose moves before the enemy and clears the map without caring about breaking.

Scholar is still pretty relevant, and stacking Sorcerer on Cyrus is actually really good. Especially since it gets him Elemental Bane for Runelord shenanigans on bosses.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm using Cyrus low random encounter ability and Ophilias run away abilities to explore areas I really shouldn't be in yet, and man when I come back later all the weaknesses I gleaned from simply encountering enemies and running away will be super useful

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gyoru posted:

Cyrus:
Primrose:
Therion:

Wait why would I make Therion a scholar if he hits like poo poo? I have him as a merchant at the moment and him using his wildfire or trade winds is misclick territory due to how utterly wimpy they are.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Alfyn is bonkers, too. I’m pretty sure he has a concoct mixture that restores BP to the party which is hilariously good.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I had a cute random encounter last night with an NPC without a quest marker. I don't remember where it was, but I encountered a random guy who said something to the effect of, "Better be careful up ahead, accidents happen." I had Olberic with me, so I challenged him and he lost, at which point he explained he couldn't find any work and had turned to crime. A cleric walked up after and gave him a job as a janitor at her church nearby, and now he shows up at that church and talks about his job :3:

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Folt The Bolt posted:

Scholar is still pretty relevant, and stacking Sorcerer on Cyrus is actually really good. Especially since it gets him Elemental Bane for Runelord shenanigans on bosses.

The Sorcerer staff skill? That still doesn't make it worthwhile considering Sorcerer only gives him 1 extra weapon type (Bow). Cyrus is better as a /Dancer or /Starseer late game. I'm just talking about optimizing for the endgame. I get it if you are attached to him as a character or he's stuck as your main because you haven't finished his Ch. 4 yet.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait why would I make Therion a scholar if he hits like poo poo? I have him as a merchant at the moment and him using his wildfire or trade winds is misclick territory due to how utterly wimpy they are.
Speed is the most important stat and having your elemental breaker move before the enemy can mean the difference between breaking or not.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The more I play with Alfyn...

This dude absolutely owns. good lord for a support class he is a beast. Healing for 800 to everyone for real cheap and no SP/BP cost owns. 2-3 shield shred with a chance of status effect for no extra BP owns. Giving him Merchant and giving everyone BP, then donating his own BP owns. I like this dude a lot. He almost invalidates Ophelia but I made her a scholar so she can poo poo out damage and provide some heals when we get really hurt.

This game owns. It's so good and I want more games like this Square Enix please

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Will I miss having a "challenge someone to a duel" path action in my first party of four? I was gonna go Alfyn, Primrose, Therion, H'aanit, but I'm thinking of replacing H'aanit with Tressa because a) she's cool and I want to hang out with her, and b) GET MONEY

I'll also be missing out on H'aanit's ability to deal super high physical damage, but Alfyn and Therion are no slouch in that regard already, especially if I give Therion the Warrior subclass.

Kashuno posted:

The more I play with Alfyn...

This dude absolutely owns. good lord for a support class he is a beast. Healing for 800 to everyone for real cheap and no SP/BP cost owns. 2-3 shield shred with a chance of status effect for no extra BP owns. Giving him Merchant and giving everyone BP, then donating his own BP owns. I like this dude a lot. He almost invalidates Ophelia but I made her a scholar so she can poo poo out damage and provide some heals when we get really hurt.

This game owns. It's so good and I want more games like this Square Enix please

Yeah Alfyn is an incredible character. His versatility is insane. Sure, his offensive concoctions don't do that much damage, but that's not their job--they're shield shredders and amazing at it. It's not like those ingredients are expensive. Mix away, apothecary boy.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Gyoru posted:

The Sorcerer staff skill? That still doesn't make it worthwhile considering Sorcerer only gives him 1 extra weapon type (Bow). Cyrus is better as a /Dancer or /Starseer late game. I'm just talking about optimizing for the endgame. I get it if you are attached to him as a character or he's stuck as your main because you haven't finished his Ch. 4 yet.

Speed is the most important stat and having your elemental breaker move before the enemy can mean the difference between breaking or not.

And both weapon types have weapons with high elemental attack is what I'm saying. With Runes, his DPS goes through the roof, and Elemental Break applies a debuff to the enemy's elemental defense before the rune hits. On the other hand, you almost always want a buffer to move before an attacker does if you want to apply them and Primrose is in the best position to apply buffs to anyone in need of it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ophilia has so much sp I've never come close to running out so Alfyns being free never really swayed me one way or another.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How significant are the stat differences between characters at the endgame anyway? Like, how much more damage does H'aanit do compared to someone else if they have the same gear?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good way/place to level your weaker characters without completely overleveling your stronger ones? Also just grinding in general (particularly for trying out new subclasses)?

I want to make some changes to my party but my main team is over 30 now while the rest are around level 10-15 and they're basically useless in combat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo this RPG Site guide has no idea what its talking about : https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/7478-octopath-traveler-job-combinations-how-to-make-the-most-of-your-subclass-choice

I found it while looking for lists of job skills while I'm at work, and hoo boy does it really miss some things. Like whoever wrote it seems to think that you get H'aanit's beast capturing ability if you have the Hunter subclass but I'm pretty sure that's her talent. Also they wrote that Alfyn is "extremely weak" in terms of physical attacks which is just... just not even close to true.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

got Thief as my 2nd subclass and put on Tressa which seems like a good idea considering most of her poo poo costs no SP and now she can just Steal-Donate SP to everyone else worry-free :3

How many Chapter for each character, 4?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Alfyn is strong as heck. I tried making him my Thief now instead of Tressa and while Tressa was hitting for maybe 1000x2 for a boosted SP steal, Alfyn was immediately hitting for over 1500x2

also he's a very cute thief, I may keep him like this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

How significant are the stat differences between characters at the endgame anyway? Like, how much more damage does H'aanit do compared to someone else if they have the same gear?

The difference seems fairly significant. For example, at max level, Cyrus has almost 100 more Elemental Attack than Alfyn, and Alfyn doesn't even have the lowest. And because subjobs give a percentage stat boost and not a flat one, that means doubling up on what a character is already good at is probably more efficient than trying to patch up someone's weaker areas with a subjob.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

The difference seems fairly significant. For example, at max level, Cyrus has almost 100 more Elemental Attack than Alfyn, and Alfyn doesn't even have the lowest. And because subjobs give a percentage stat boost and not a flat one, that means doubling up on what a character is already good at is probably more efficient than trying to patch up someone's weaker areas with a subjob.
why do jrpgs with job systems always do this? :sigh:

yeah you can make the boring waifu cleric a badass warrior but you're gonna be punished for it because it doesn't align with our ~vision~

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

yeah you can make the boring waifu cleric a badass warrior but you're gonna be punished for it because it doesn't align with our ~vision~

What's interesting is that most of Square-Enix's games don't actually care that much about a character's base stats. In Bravely Default/Second, for example, the differences between each character's base stats are absolutely tiny so you should choose jobs for characters based on how cool they look as that job and nothing else. Same for Final Fantasy XII--while the differences might seem significant, they're easily overcome with gear, and they're only ever going to matter for people who want to mega-optimize, so sure, go ahead and make Basch your Black Mage, he'll kick rear end.

I guess the difference is that each character's base job is set in stone this time around, so you can't completely customize them.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Your Computer posted:

There's only like a 57 point difference between Olberic and Ophilia, though her default stats do make her lean strongly towards magic-using and support classes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I doubt anything in the game is going to be so difficult that I need to care about the stat differences between characters I want to use so I'll just use whoever I like

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I am still giving every single stat booster to Tressa

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If anyone is interested in how the characters rank in stats, here's a ranking. Characters separated by commas are tied.

Physical Attack: Olberic, H'aanit > Alfyn, Therion, Tressa > Ophilia, Primrose > Cyrus
Elemental Attack: Cyrus > Ophilia, Primrose > Tressa > Alfyn, Therion, H'aanit > Olberic
Physical Defense: Olberic > Ophilia, Alfyn, Tressa > Cyrus > Therion, H'aanit > Primrose
Elemental Defense: Ophilia > Cyrus > Alfyn, Tressa > Olberic, Therion, H'aanit, Primrose
Speed: Primrose > Therion > Olberic, H'aanit > Cyrus, Tressa > Alfyn, Ophilia
Accuracy: H'aanit > Therion, Olberic > Ophilia, Cyrus, Alfyn, Tressa, Primrose (not a lot of variance here, apparently)
Critical Hit: H'aanit > Therion, Alfyn, Primrose, Olberic > Tressa > Cyrus > Ophilia

I'll leave out HP and SP, but the source is this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X-XO1bXJR90wMq3siW22ioERRKzgAUXob_yDpdpM25o/edit?usp=sharing

Of interest here is that Ophilia might not make a great physical attacker, but she is very tanky. Giving her Warrior as a subjob could make her a pretty good Paladin-type character. Sure, she won't hit mega-hard with physical attacks, but she can take some serious damage before she's in trouble. Therion, H'aanit, and Primrose are very much glass cannons.

Also it amuses me that Primrose is faster than Therion. Dancers reign supreme!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Ok, so, a question. I went to do Ophilia's chapter 2 quest, after a fair bit of exploration and levelling up. When I went to the inn to start her story, Olberic was standing in there; I talked to him and he said "oh, if you need a strong sword arm, let me know". I'd never seen this before, so I put him in the party, swapping H'aanit out even though she was 7 levels above him. Is there any reason to do this, or is it just a random thing that happens sometime?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah one thing I've been wondering, does accuracy... do anything? I can't remember ever missing an attack other than the thousand spears/rain of arrows/arrow storm multi-hit attacks and those attacks just seem destined to miss 50% of the time no matter how much accuracy I stack.

atholbrose posted:

Ok, so, a question. I went to do Ophilia's chapter 2 quest, after a fair bit of exploration and levelling up. When I went to the inn to start her story, Olberic was standing in there; I talked to him and he said "oh, if you need a strong sword arm, let me know". I'd never seen this before, so I put him in the party, swapping H'aanit out even though she was 7 levels above him. Is there any reason to do this, or is it just a random thing that happens sometime?

I've noticed this too when swapping in and out party members trying to figure out a party. I think it's just random?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Now that I've started playing and collecting characters, I think I'm going for my first party being Alfyn, Tressa, Therion, and Primrose. I know I want to go Primrose/Scholar and Therion/Warrior, but I'm not sure with Alfyn and Tressa. Two questions there:

1. Is Cleric overkill on Alfyn? He won't need the healing spells, but the buffs seem nice and its divine skill is beautiful. Or would Tressa be any good there? She has less SP to work with, but with Alfyn around that's not a huge deal.

2. Does Hunter offer much as a subjob when it comes to active skills? I wonder if doubling up on Warrior (like Alfyn/Warrior or Tressa/Warrior) or even Merchant (Alfyn/Merchant maybe?) might be worth it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Party in the pub is random, Olberic shows up all the time for me but some of the other members did too like Primrose and Cyrus.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Computer posted:

Oh yeah one thing I've been wondering, does accuracy... do anything? I can't remember ever missing an attack other than the thousand spears/rain of arrows/arrow storm multi-hit attacks and those attacks just seem destined to miss 50% of the time no matter how much accuracy I stack.

Accuracy helps a lot when enemies outlevel you

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Damage stats don't seem to be as big a deal towards the latter stages. My guys are around level 50ish now and I've given up on the +50pt passives entirely. Debuffs/breaking are more important to focus on imo.

So ya I wouldn't feel obligated to use Prim/Cyrus over Tressa as an edmg for example.

Also really like the hunter sub job. Breaks bow vulnerabilities very quickly and its single target bow skill is my go to when I'm not using Brand's Thunder on Olberic. Patience is also probably the best passive in the game. Big shout out to Saving Grace as well though, combined with a cleric you have so much buffer hp.

acumen fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 17, 2018

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

Of interest here is that Ophilia might not make a great physical attacker, but she is very tanky. Giving her Warrior as a subjob could make her a pretty good Paladin-type character. Sure, she won't hit mega-hard with physical attacks, but she can take some serious damage before she's in trouble.

Might also be good synergy there with the cleric passive that let's her be healed above max hp.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You know how I was concerned about overleveling? Oops!

I think Primrose got the most with like... 12 levels or something. From one battle. How?

and I got 2x and 5x EXP from Bewildering Grace.

Harrow posted:

2. Does Hunter offer much as a subjob when it comes to active skills? I wonder if doubling up on Warrior (like Alfyn/Warrior or Tressa/Warrior) or even Merchant (Alfyn/Merchant maybe?) might be worth it.
Not sure how much I enjoy the hunter as a sub job, but the only way to double up on jobs is to have the "original" in your party since only one person can use a specific sub job at a time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is there a guide to sidequests btw

I kinda loathe how they're handled in this game. Talk to a NPC and "boy I'm chilly" being all I'm given to work with sucks rear end and hearing that I have to do some of em for the final-final dungeon is just man, really.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oh also, the game is just taunting me at this point isn't it?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

Now that I've started playing and collecting characters, I think I'm going for my first party being Alfyn, Tressa, Therion, and Primrose. I know I want to go Primrose/Scholar and Therion/Warrior, but I'm not sure with Alfyn and Tressa. Two questions there:

1. Is Cleric overkill on Alfyn? He won't need the healing spells, but the buffs seem nice and its divine skill is beautiful. Or would Tressa be any good there? She has less SP to work with, but with Alfyn around that's not a huge deal.

Hunter is great as a subjob. It gives you a thunder attack, an all-enemy attack that can break most enemy's bow defense, a single target version that costs less SP and a turn manipulation tool that lets you set an enemy to the end of every turn for X turns.

Also offers some of the best physical stats and gets you Axes/Bows so it combos really well with Olberic, Therion and even Alfyn.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Computer posted:

oh also, the game is just taunting me at this point isn't it?

to be fair you deserve it if your lead party member is any indication

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If Ophelia isn’t on the team I make Alfyn a Cleric. My needs to constantly heal people and not use consumables means I don’t bust out concoct unless it’s a boss battle.