Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

spacetoaster posted:

I don't wonder at all. That manager was probably the perfect psychopath to move right up the management chain. But she ended up on the wrong end of the PR stick so the other psychopaths dropped her.

If you think she wasn't getting poo poo from higher ups about staff attendance then you've never worked in management.

I'm other words, porque no le dos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

The Snoo posted:

nothing in this thread has made me angrier

Let's see if we can change that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_TvG_ZNvQo

Hot dog man got $80,000 for his trouble at the end of the day.

Kidney woman is in the middle of a lawsuit still, more than five years later. When all's said and done she could be looking at a multi-million dollar judgment, but also she might not.

Prisoners are hosed. No one will help them. They have no recourse. They cannot so much as "vote their way to change". Five inmates have died firefighting since the program was started in the 1940s.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thanks.
Imagine being so lovely a person as to send those texts

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rarity posted:

If you think she wasn't getting poo poo from higher ups about staff attendance then you've never worked in management.

I'm other words, porque no le dos?

A friend of mine works the exact same lovely mcdonalds manager position as her and has a similarly lovely boss and manages to not be a loving monster to the people under him somehow :shrug:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I've seen this chart so many times and I love it so much, like they clearly got to something like 30 hours and went "oh gently caress oh gently caress this looks terrible we need to add more poo poo... uhh... exercise? that counts as work right, ok good... personal appointments? yeah sure put that too..."

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ate all the Oreos posted:

I've seen this chart so many times and I love it so much, like they clearly got to something like 30 hours and went "oh gently caress oh gently caress this looks terrible we need to add more poo poo... uhh... exercise? that counts as work right, ok good... personal appointments? yeah sure put that too..."

5 hours a week on "business meals" is some bullshit too when you know for sure all their employees are getting half an hour unpaid lunch break while their bosses are counting it as work time and claiming expenses for the food as well.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Ziv Zulander posted:

Apparently, it smells like cookies

Good to see Nelson Mandela expanding his product line for once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxqQe_dBGQA

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
"Can we even put lunch breaks on there?"
"Hmm... the lunches are for business. The lunch is business, it's work."

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Tokit posted:

Good to see Nelson Mandela expanding his product line for once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxqQe_dBGQA

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Expunge all criminal records from all non-judge view the same day that a term is completed. If they're reformed, then the record shouldn't haunt them. If they're not reformed, then the system failed and they shouldn't be out in the first place

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I worked for a company where the founders motto was “Sleep when you’re dead” who was notorious for falling asleep at around 1 to 2pm everyday in his office and not waking up until after working hours ended

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Five inmates have died firefighting since the program was started in the 1940s.

That seems like a pretty great record considering how much of California is on fire all the time.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Im at a 'lab' to help startups and one guys idea is to create an AI for children with illnesses to act as a counselor. I guess kind of like those apps that text you/develop around your personality.

idk it seems hosed to me, like if my kid is dying im going to talk to them myself, and also get a human counselor. but you dont need to pay robots i guess

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

sebzilla posted:

5 hours a week on "business meals" is some bullshit too when you know for sure all their employees are getting half an hour unpaid lunch break while their bosses are counting it as work time and claiming expenses for the food as well.

When we have civilian bigwigs come work with us our lunchtimes immediately go from 1230-1300 to 1100 -1300 (actually leaving at 1030).

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Barudak posted:

I worked for a company where the founders motto was “Sleep when you’re dead” who was notorious for falling asleep at around 1 to 2pm everyday in his office and not waking up until after working hours ended

sassassin posted:

That seems like a pretty great record considering how much of California is on fire all the time.

It really is but that's kind of overshadowed by the number of American slaves worked to death in the 21st and 20th century being a non-zero number.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ate all the Oreos posted:

A friend of mine works the exact same lovely mcdonalds manager position as her and has a similarly lovely boss and manages to not be a loving monster to the people under him somehow :shrug:

Oh I agree the manager was being an rear end in a top hat. I'm just saying we shouldn't let individual dickery make us blind to institutionalised rampant cockishness

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
When I was a teen I had a job at a Burger King and the GM was a real loving tool. Since I was in high school I signed up for nights. Well 1 day into spring break I get a call at 9am from said manager wanting to know why I wasn't at work. I told him I don't work mornings, only nights. He then told me that since it was spring break, we added me to the day shift so that I could "learn more about the restaurant" and that I "should always look at the full schedule no matter what". I had to bum a ride off of one oh my dad's friends. A few months later I had to call sick on a Saturday because my grand father was in the hospital and not expected to make it. When I called and spoke to the manger he told me that I had to come in and if I didn't I would be "off the schedule permanently". I laughed and hug up the phone. gently caress you Dennis. I hope you worked a double that night.

This one is about Sirius radio.
I got laid off back in '07 and immediately started eliminating all non essential expenses. So I call the customer service line and explain that I like the service, but I've been laid off and need to conserve cash.

ME: Yes, I need to cancel because I'm not out of work and need to save money.
THEM: Well what if we have you 25% off for 6 months?
ME: No. You see, I don't even know if I can pay my mortgage past next month.
THEM: Well....have about 50% off for 3 months?
ME: Yeah...like I said, I'm broke and may loose my house. Please cancel this.
THEM: How about a free radio and 75% for 2 months?
ME: WTF.?? can you cancel this or not?
THEM: Oh ok. We suspend your account in case you was to activate it again soon!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Someone I know at work had to advertise an app that let you, once a day, to request good vibes from other users and the rest of the time youd click a button to send out positive feelings. This was all represented by glowing lights, no text or words or anything. The company pushing it was surprised nobody used it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Barudak posted:

Someone I know at work had to advertise an app that let you, once a day, to request good vibes from other users and the rest of the time youd click a button to send out positive feelings. This was all represented by glowing lights, no text or words or anything. The company pushing it was surprised nobody used it.

ThoughtsAndPrayers.apk

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lunch comprising solely of caffeine leads to making GBS threads yourself unexpectedly. That checks out.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Feeling like utter poo poo is my drug of choice.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

In the early 00's, Berlin's tagline was "arm und sexy", poor and sexy. Not sure what it is today, but that tagline was seen as kind of cool for a long time.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

So they work maybe 30 hrs per week?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Im at a 'lab' to help startups and one guys idea is to create an AI for children with illnesses to act as a counselor. I guess kind of like those apps that text you/develop around your personality.

idk it seems hosed to me, like if my kid is dying im going to talk to them myself, and also get a human counselor. but you dont need to pay robots i guess

The kid is dying. You're going to allocate valuable time yourself? Why? It's a sunk cost. Outsource the caring to an app and work allocate your time (the most valuable resource) to something worthwhile.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The starving artist has been capitalized

When I was in business school about half of the people enrolled were "starving artists" who wanted to start their own marketing or PR firms. Many went on to work for the usual big marketing firms who try to get every business account they can get. It's not surprising that a lot of newer ads are glorifying being the starving artist.

The other half were people who went on to work for their dad's accounting / investment firm. They hated the starving artists and anyone who wanted to change the system.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Fried Watermelon posted:

When I was in business school about half of the people enrolled were "starving artists"

how exactly are you using the term "artist" here

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Oscar Wild posted:

So they work maybe 30 hrs per week?

Even 30 seem generous. I mean how much padding is there in meetings and working alone if you are seriously trying to tell me going to the gym or a dentist appointment are work hours?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I'm willing to bet money that "working alone" was reading news or playing with a phone while sitting in the office. I find it hilarious how often it turns out that "doing something when another executive is near" counts as work by default.

No that trip was totally for business! I talked to a bunch of other CEOs. The fact that it was on a beach with hookers and cocaine is just a perk of the position, you know.

Because I'm cynical I'm going to assume that a lot of the conference calls are just bitching at underlings that the numbers aren't good enough.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/ChrisWarcraft/status/1019046811095298048?s=19

Surrreeee, coming from an ex union guy.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

bitmap posted:

how exactly are you using the term "artist" here

marketing
idea men
people who love brands

I don't mean real starving artists, only people who make it an identity

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lol what, where's the story behind this I need it for fuel

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/keybank/status/1018836053564841985?s=19

Well? Why are you poor?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:blastu:

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
this is also england.jpg

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Dave Concepcion posted:

this is also england.jpg

this is a loving political cartoon

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Speaking of, it's super loving weird that the worst mass shooting in modern US history basically fell under the news radar after like, 2 days, and I haven't heard it mentioned in months (until this bullshit). Like I can't even write it off as just america becoming accustomed to the new normal because other ones (Pulse, basically anything involving highschool kids) get brought up pretty often, yet not this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Dave Concepcion posted:

this is also england.jpg

Is that Flavor Flav?