Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I'm allowed to laugh at a punchline if it waited in line for 5+ years to get punched in the wallet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Store Citizen: The only moral refund is my refund

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Indeed, refund Star Citizen today, they need a second, third and fourth fund from you dear backer!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

So what's the difference between someone trying to get a refund today and my refund? What's the date cutoff after which no refunds should be allowed because it won't sufficiently damage the lives of "stupid" people?

Well that's an argument we could have until the end of time. This entire "development" was basically an episode of Fawlty Towers from beginning to end. At what point during the episode did Basil go "too far?"

Who loving knows. What I do know is that in July 2018 if someone's only now thinking "hey, what a minute, something's not quite right..." then yeah, that's some down-home stupidity right there with the crazy poo poo CIG's been pulling for years. Stuff so insane normal people don't even believe it until you show proof.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mr.Tophat posted:

Indeed, refund Star Citizen today, they need a second, third and fourth fund from you dear backer!

I don't think you understand jok-- oh.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

Well that's an argument we could have until the end of time. This entire "development" was basically an episode of Fawlty Towers from beginning to end. At what point during the episode did Basil go "too far?"

Who loving knows. What I do know is that in July 2018 if someone's only now thinking "hey, what a minute, something's not quite right..." then yeah, that's some down-home stupidity right there with the crazy poo poo CIG's been pulling for years. Stuff so insane normal people don't even believe it until you show proof.

He went too far once he started thrashing his car with a tree, if you stayed at that hotel and knew about that incident you deserve to get a rat in the box of chocolates

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Beet I love you

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Beet Wagon posted:

Of course, the people that you're seeing attempt a refund today are the last ones out of the ballroom well after the ship hit the iceberg, but I can't understand this mentality where people are going "Oh they 'woke up' too late, they deserve to get hosed."

Does Verticals deserve to get hosed? Yeah. Montoya? Sure, I hope he loses everything and then some. But some dude who wasn't paying attention, or didn't understand, or hell even just had a different "gently caress this" button than I did, I can't see how you can in good conscience say "No, you know what, gently caress that guy for even trying. He should have listened to the insane blowhard telling him it's too late and there's nothing he can do."

Maybe if Derek had taken CIG to court one of the 57 times he promised he would, disgruntled backers wouldn't have to be throwing themselves from the clocktower in an attempt to get the media to notice them. But he didn't, so here we are.

Ya I mean poo poo on the developers all you want, these people are in on the scam and actively profiting from it, every single loving idiot on camera deserves scorn and ridicule, from the youngest to the oldest fart there.

But the backers, I mean a lot of them just seem confused and some for sure seem waay beyond mentally ill. And like you said, save for a few who are really active in the keeping the scam alive most seem like gamers who just wanted a space game and got caught up in a confidence scam. Theres a thread on /r/games right now that's pretty spicy but I saw this post in there that stood out

https://old.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/8zbj36/star_citizen_backer_took_cig_to_small_claims/

quote:

Its a cult, a big old feedback loop.

When I first started reading about the game I bought the $60 package and scoffed at buying the $80 or $120 or $180 packages.

A couple months later and after being around the community so much, the idea of spending more was normalized to me. Plus, I would JUST spend $40 more and I could get a cooler ship. Plus the game might not be fully funded, I have to help out and get it to be self published instead of letting EA or some rear end in a top hat company publish it!

So now I'm at the $120 bracket.

A couple months go by and I'm still fully involved in the community and the idea of spending more than $120 is super normalized to me. People are spending thousands, it's pretty typical to spend more!

Now I'm buying a package that dosent even come with a ship.

This repeats a couple of times and I'm sitting at $500 spent.

Since nothing new was happening with the game, I stop following the community and i realize after a while that holy poo poo, I've spent $500 on jpegs of internet spaceships for a game that's fully funded and is three years late.

Luckily this was before the refund policy change so I got one no problem.

It's weird how it gets you. When the game was first starting out there were all these hype videos trying to recruit people. They were selling people on a dream. They pulled every single cord they could, everything from "Chris's dream can't be complete if we aren't self published, we don't want the evil publishers to interfere" and stuff like how people dreamed of a proper space sim for decades.

Then they talk up each ship and they put out brochures about them and write up really excellent pieces on how the ship is going to fly. Then the community talks like they actually own the ships IRL, talking about how awesome it is owning X ship is even though only the hanger module was out at the time. On top of that, the beginning ship (at the time) was pretty trash and is literally bad at everything, so flying it feels lame when everyone's flying around and monster machines that look super badass.

Then there's the manufactured rarity as some ships only go on sale at certain times. You feel like you're missing out if you don't get LTI or you don't get that rare $200 ship.

The same thing happened to a pair of my friends who bought in at the same time I did. One followed literally the exact same path I did and ended up with over $240 bought. He eventually got a refund as well when he realized he was struggling to pay school bills and he'd had essentially an interest free loan tied up with CIG for multiple years.

It's so weird not noticing it happening to yourself. It's truly cultlike there. Everything gets normalized to you because everyone's constantly talking about spending their money. When people are talking about how they asked the concierge service some questions about the game, putting in another $100 seems like nothing.

I suspect the majority of backers are like this guy. They got caught in the first really big videogame confidence scam, the size of it alone would fool most people that everything is going okay. Too hate on this dude or like him seems petty. They're idiots but we've all done dumb poo poo with money that we later regretted.

The OSC/DerekSmart thing is so odd to me. If Smart wasn't such a big wet paper tiger he could have been the hero he sees himself as of this entire thing. He has the financial resources to actually fight CIG in court and potentially pave the road for gamers to do likewise. Instead the rear end in a top hat just points and laughs about being right in between trying to constantly insert himself into the story, and now he's writing a loving book in hopes of profiting off this poo poo. gently caress Smart and Roberts, they're both the same rear end in a top hat trying to make themselves relevant with other peoples money.

e- like honestly, so many baby boomer developers who've become millionaires off the shittiest product still think they're relevant. I hope Store Citizen is the final nail in the coffin of their utter mediocrity. There's actual talent in the industry, nobody loving needs you hacks around anymore. The good ones retirred and are persuing passion projects, what's left is just the grifters trying to cash in on nostalgia.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 17, 2018

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Is that really how low you set the bar for intellect? You're going to tell me, without irony, that the average person can be taken in by this farce? The average person?

The average person where? And I'm not even talking about intelligence here, some places are just incredibly more trusting (and great targets for scams) than others.

In any case even if you're the reincarnation of Hitler/Obama and the dumbest rear end in a top hat ever that likes to set puppies on fire, if the product you bought is not delivered in a reasonable time, you deserve a refund. It's nothing personal.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Consumer protections are two part protecting the customer from predatory practices, and protecting the customer from themselves. I'm absolutely allowed to laugh and pity people who can't protect themselves when it comes to falling for the stunning trap of buying a $1000 jpeg, and I am absolutely allowed to be gleeful as the predatory business falls victim to it's own mission statement that, "it's never been done before," as it devours itself in ever more ravenous bites.

The small steps are tragic, the bigger picture is hilarious.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

IDK man I gotta disagree with you there just in general terms. I mean you are absolutely not wrong, there are a lot of stupid people invested in Star Citizen. But we're looking at it through a hosed up lens. Most people, honestly, haven't even been paying attention. poo poo, every time an article gets posted to /r/games there's dozens of people who go "Holy poo poo I just remembered I backed this, what the hell happened?"

Like I said, seems like an awful lot of people sitting in a lifeboat (or in fairness to some of you who never pledged, back on shore) debating the merits of the latecomers trying to grab a door so they don't drown.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

The average person where? And I'm not even talking about intelligence here, some places are just incredibly more trusting (and great targets for scams) than others.

Even if it's some guy in rural Iowa who's just totally trusting and lives in a neighborhood where everyone keeps their doors unlocked - he should be able to see this. In fact he should have the advantage - because an honest man should look at literally anything Chris says or does and think "I don't think this guy is on the level." Honest and trusting people are not necessarily naive - I find most of the ones I've met to be surprising judges of character.

This isn't a Theranos situation where it seemed reasonable until you dug into the concept, this isn't the situation where that guy said he could make you breathe underwater with a nose clip that preyed on scientific ignorance, this isn't an investment scam where the average person just has no idea and relies on trust. CIG has been recording their scam on video and broadcasting it from the beginning. With every single red flag fully visible and waved proudly at all times. I'm surprised we didn't have a shortage of red dye and cloth just to fill the demand for more red flags.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Like I said, seems like an awful lot of people sitting in a lifeboat (or in fairness to some of you who never pledged, back on shore) debating the merits of the latecomers trying to grab a door so they don't drown.

Debating the merits? We're taking bets on the shore and cracking jokes as bank accounts crumble under the weight of "go on, just one more ship." We're wondering if they are going to get the ship they really need, said lifeboats, and if they remember being told six months ago, "get a refund while you can, this project is titantic," as they scramble for a door that requires a keycard.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

IDK man I gotta disagree with you there just in general terms. I mean you are absolutely not wrong, there are a lot of stupid people invested in Star Citizen. But we're looking at it through a hosed up lens. Most people, honestly, haven't even been paying attention. poo poo, every time an article gets posted to /r/games there's dozens of people who go "Holy poo poo I just remembered I backed this, what the hell happened?"

I'm not saying they shouldn't get refunds. I'm saying I'm not gonna shed any tears if they don't.

Besides, for Chris to reap the whirlwind as he deserves, there have to be victims that were hurt financially from the scam. It's a sad state of affairs but a real one: in the U.S., nobody ever does anything to prevent harm. We wait until people are hurt, then we react. Consider their sad fates the cost of justice.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Hav posted:

Gonna deadpan this a bit; products live and die these days on promotion. If they signed any kind of deal, they’d both be talking about it. Deals come with expectations. CiG does not match expectations, they never have. I’d be surprised if they walk away clean from any of their contracts because they have form; their CEO has done it before and will do it again.

All of the sidling up to ‘Amazon’ means nothing, if you produce anything worthwhile, they’d just aquire you,

And ultimately it’s still an off-the-shelf first person engine commoditized by the largest retail disruptor to take advantage of the multi-billion dollar games market by giving ground floor entrance to bedroom developers to poo poo out their stuff on steam.

It’s not a space game engine.

Dont make me have to put \s

Has anyone bothered to rip models out of SC yet? It'd be fun to make a little tool around game with amusing bugs to entertain myself (I have no artistic talent whatsoever)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Baxta posted:

Has anyone bothered to rip models out of SC yet? It'd be fun to make a little tool around game with amusing bugs to entertain myself (I have no artistic talent whatsoever)

I hear CIG's been trying but I think they're in the same boat you are.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mr.Tophat posted:

Debating the merits? We're taking bets on the shore and cracking jokes as bank accounts crumble under the weight of "go on, just one more ship." We're wondering if they are going to get the ship they really need, said lifeboats, and if they remember being told six months ago, "get a refund while you can, this project is titantic," as they scramble for a door that requires a keycard.

Nah, some people are doing that (including me) but some people are also legitimately arguing that these people deserve to drown because -

Potato Salad posted:

The first group I've got no problem with, that's the bedrock of this thread and subforum. The second group strikes me as bizarre.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

this game is so amazing

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm not saying they shouldn't get refunds. I'm saying I'm not gonna shed any tears if they don't.

Besides, for Chris to reap the whirlwind as he deserves, there have to be victims that were hurt financially from the scam. It's a sad state of affairs but a real one: in the U.S., nobody ever does anything to prevent harm. We wait until people are hurt, then we react. Consider their sad fates the cost of justice.

Ah, I misunderstood your position then. My bad.

The nice thing about SC is that the longer it goes on, the more "ideologically pure" the fanbase gets. It's a self-filtering situation which all but guarantees that the guys left holding the bag are gonna be the dumbest, most invested, most reactionary segment of citizens, and it's gonna be fuckin awesome when that day comes.

Baxta posted:

Yeah I think some youtuber had a whole collection of the models he used to make videos before the ships actually came out. IIRC he ripped them not from the game but from the 3D-viewer thing on the website

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

AbstractNapper posted:

What's the story for this one? Why was it taken down?

He apparently doesn't keep any of his livestreams up, so others archive them for him :shrug:

The video/audio is a call-in discussion show, this time about Star Citizen and the stopping of refunds, and he invites backers to Skype message him for callback. FailureToReport is one of the callers :lol:

The chat feed of comments is massively anti-Star Citizen too. A couple of the guests are very toxic.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

If they said screw it and made the animation really like that, I'd switch like the fickle comedy bitch that I am.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

trucutru posted:

Because there comes a point for some companies where it makes more sense to slap other people with a fat wad of bills and pay for their lovely work than to waste your time organizing the teams and so on required to do that job instead. Time is of the essence here, not money. (Of course, in the case of a Chris Roberts production they'll also get hosed in the time department, but maybe they got conned too? who knows.)

The only missing piece here is that there is no way Amazon wouldn't publicize the poo poo out of any investment in CIG. The only value to Amazon is the press around it, sure as time goes by and they realize the game is poo poo it would drop of the radar but until then it is a somewhat insignificant amount of money for Amazon to throw away for potential press around their gaming division.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Baxta posted:

I got curious as well and did some googling, looks like it's possible but one may need to update a tool?

https://forums.starcitizenbase.com/topic/7018-tutorial-getting-star-citizen-ships-into-3d-rendering-programs-with-pictures/

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

Scruffpuff posted:

"Being stupid absolutely must come at some cost, or everyone suffers - guilty and innocent alike. In this case, the collapse of the game and the loss of their funds is the hurt their stupidity brings them."

But that's exactly what you did say lol

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

Morphix posted:

I got curious as well and did some googling, looks like it's possible but one may need to update a tool?

https://forums.starcitizenbase.com/topic/7018-tutorial-getting-star-citizen-ships-into-3d-rendering-programs-with-pictures/

Hopefully we can get that kazan on the case

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3HphgSn0o4

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3HphgSn0o4

So this is basically just Star Citizen right?

e: :argh: gently caress you Daz I'm leaving mine

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Twyst posted:

"Being stupid absolutely must come at some cost, or everyone suffers - guilty and innocent alike. In this case, the collapse of the game and the loss of their funds is the hurt their stupidity brings them."

But that's exactly what you did say lol

I mean to type "try to." Nobody should try to stop them "trying to" get refunds. It's nobody's business to even make the attempt to dissuade, but I can think of two people doing exactly that, and it's not helping.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

So this is basically just Star Citizen right?

e: :argh: gently caress you Daz I'm leaving mine

yes, but less bugs and more features

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I didn't see subsumption. 0/10.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Also, no subs.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

can you make a hairy murray on your luxury liner? no? checkmate goons :smuggo:

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Here are the No Man's Sky patch notes:

Multiplayer

Team up a small team of friends and explore the universe together, or be joined by random travellers.

You can help friends to stay alive, or prey on others to survive.

Tiny shelters or complex colonies that you build as a team are shared for all players.

Fight as a pirate or a wingman in epic space battles with friends and enemies.

Race exocraft across weird alien terrains, creating race tracks and trails to share online.

Character customisation allows you to personalise your appearance.

Visual Overhaul

The game is fully playable in third or first person, both on-foot and in ship.

Planetary rings and improved space visuals make space more beautiful than ever.

Dramatically improved planetary terrain generation, ground textures, water and clouds bring the environment to life.

Significantly more detail added to ships, NPCs and buildings.

Unlimited Base Building

Bases can now be built anywhere on any planet.

Dramatically increased base building complexity and size limits.

Hundreds of new base parts.

Own multiple bases.

Command Freighters

Assemble and upgrade a fleet of frigates and command them from the bridge of your freighter.

Send your fleet out to into the universe, or deploy them to help you as you explore a specific system.

Improved freighter base building allows a truly custom capital ship.

Invite your friends aboard and take on challenging multiplayer missions from the Galactic Commision Station on your bridge.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Can’t stop watching this, it’s hypnotic.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Kosumo posted:

Starter Citizen: Refunds Argon

THIS

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

kilus aof posted:

Here are the No Man's Sky patch notes:

Multiplayer

Team up a small team of friends and explore the universe together, or be joined by random travellers.

You can help friends to stay alive, or prey on others to survive.

Tiny shelters or complex colonies that you build as a team are shared for all players.

Fight as a pirate or a wingman in epic space battles with friends and enemies.

Race exocraft across weird alien terrains, creating race tracks and trails to share online.

Character customisation allows you to personalise your appearance.

Visual Overhaul

The game is fully playable in third or first person, both on-foot and in ship.

Planetary rings and improved space visuals make space more beautiful than ever.

Dramatically improved planetary terrain generation, ground textures, water and clouds bring the environment to life.

Significantly more detail added to ships, NPCs and buildings.

Unlimited Base Building

Bases can now be built anywhere on any planet.

Dramatically increased base building complexity and size limits.

Hundreds of new base parts.

Own multiple bases.

Command Freighters

Assemble and upgrade a fleet of frigates and command them from the bridge of your freighter.

Send your fleet out to into the universe, or deploy them to help you as you explore a specific system.

Improved freighter base building allows a truly custom capital ship.

Invite your friends aboard and take on challenging multiplayer missions from the Galactic Commision Station on your bridge.

They don't even have -moons

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

If I were rich, I too would buy an island to park my space yacht on and then build a small shack next to it for me to live in.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Come visit our pristine, unspoiled tropical island that we've paved over so that you can land on it

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

When I saw that twitter img it reminded me of Myst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Virtual Captain posted:

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1018978262092042241

1st place could have easily taken 40 hours. Has a bunch of footage that must have been collected from some CryEngine sandbox because there are shots like nothing I've seen in game. The other two are standard affairs; in-game capture stitched together with previous commercials.

Star Citizen has trained it's cultists well, these commercials are peak fantasy fulfillment. It's actually pretty loving slimey how transparently they ape Rolls Royce style life-brand advertising.