Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowman_McK posted:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/dc8f4dfbc72dd368d0622b5ba2825419/tenor.gif?itemid=8933764

pictured: a 145 pound man with no knockout power.

I know you were probably being facetious, but i just love this gif.

There's a great gag in 'Hard Boiled' where 'Mad Dog' turns on his boss and shoots him in the chest at point blank range, but only once so it does no damage and is never mentioned again.

The guitar riff works pretty well. Then Fred Durst starts and its terrible. It's a microcosm of limp bizkit.

Also, I might be wrong, but I think it's Tom Cruise's first proper action movie where he punches people and fires guns and stuff.

Jose Aldo is great but definitely hits the ring at over 160. 140 at fight time is more like Demetrious Johnson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

Jose Aldo is great but definitely hits the ring at over 160. 140 at fight time is more like Demetrious Johnson

I know this. So, it would be John Dodson, John Lineker or John Moraga, all of whom have multiple knockout finishes. DJ has two himself.

Sorry, tht came across way more confrontational than i meant it to.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 17, 2018

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Wanting to see more Paul Bettany and having insomnia compelled me to watch Legion, of which the last 20 minutes or so are absolutely bonkers.

Paul Bettany suplexes Gabriel in a bar after dropping a tv on his head. There is essentially wire-fu as Bettany pirouettes around the razer sharp wings of an angel. Gabriel also has a mace with hidden functions, because on three different occasions after beginning to wield it, he pushes a button and something new happens. First it just expands with more blades, then it starts spinning like an immersion blender, and finally it shoots out a 2 foot long spike. Gabriel is also played by Kevin Durand who was born to play devilish assholes which is a plus.

It was nothing special, just, yeah, bonkers. For some reason it makes me want to watch Versus again, which I will probably get started on now

Fake edit: haha they made a TV show that takes place 25 years after this movie? drat

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I'm halfway through How It Ends and despite it being a Netflix film and getting panned I thinks it pretty decent. Not great, and I wouldn't really call it an "action" movie, as the action is pretty subdued, slow paced, and fairly realistic. So far, it's more like a really dark and violent adventure movie, though I haven't finished it yet.

I was surprised about how not awful and kinda okay it was compared to the reviews.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Wandle Cax posted:

Just saw Skyscraper, not exactly a Die Hard clone as it doesn't follow the formula exactly. It's a harmless mildly amusing 90s action/disaster throwback. Has its moments and is entertaining as the standard Rock movie. About on par with Rampage but a bit less crazy without the sci fi aspects. Neve Campbell is still super attractive.

It reminded me a bit of the South Korean movie The Tower with its futuristic skyscraper full of sections built to provide spectacular set pieces. But while that movie was mostly focused on heroic firemen the HK Fire Department in Skyscraper seemed to be fine with the highest building in the world burning down with no efforts made at all to put the fire out. Suprisingly, the Rock does not fire any guns in this movie even though he kills tons of baddies which seems to be a deliberate move away from Die Hard.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Penpal posted:

Wanting to see more Paul Bettany and having insomnia compelled me to watch Legion, of which the last 20 minutes or so are absolutely bonkers.

Paul Bettany suplexes Gabriel in a bar after dropping a tv on his head. There is essentially wire-fu as Bettany pirouettes around the razer sharp wings of an angel. Gabriel also has a mace with hidden functions, because on three different occasions after beginning to wield it, he pushes a button and something new happens. First it just expands with more blades, then it starts spinning like an immersion blender, and finally it shoots out a 2 foot long spike. Gabriel is also played by Kevin Durand who was born to play devilish assholes which is a plus.

It was nothing special, just, yeah, bonkers. For some reason it makes me want to watch Versus again, which I will probably get started on now

Fake edit: haha they made a TV show that takes place 25 years after this movie? drat

I actually love the ending of Legion, how Michael is sent back down in full Archangel armor, and the line about how Gabriel did what God asked for, but Michael gave God what he needed.

I like Legion, don't really have anything bad to say about it other than the forgettable lead actor. But the rest of the cast makes up for that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Legion feels like three or four different unfinished movies welded together. There are plot threads that go nowhere and others that are resolved only by taking deus ex machina to the furthest literal extreme.

You know a movie is going to be poo poo when the only thing holding the plot together is a character having unexplained prophetic visions that tell the characters where to go and what to do. (As further evidence I cite the last Highlander movie.)

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Legion gets small bonus points for featuring the often underrated Kevin Durand.

X-Men Origins, however, is offered no Durand bonus points.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bettany, Quaid, Charles S. Dutton, Durand, Willa Holland(Green Arrow), it's a really solid cast. Doug Jones even gets a little scene as one of the monsters.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MrBling posted:

Imagine if you will: John McTiernan's Mission Impossible.

or hell, Michael Mann's Mission Impossible.

Frankenheimer?

Another great Paul Bettany role is in Master and Commander, it really deserved the oscar over RotK

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 17, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

Legion feels like three or four different unfinished movies welded together. There are plot threads that go nowhere and others that are resolved only by taking deus ex machina to the furthest literal extreme.

I think this is what really hurt its reception even before the movie came out. The earlier trailers sold it as more of a huge stakes apocalyptic thing and not an Assault on Precinct 13 siege kind of movie which makes it seem like they didn't quite know how to sell it. I know lot of the early negative reviews of it all opened up with feeling cheated about that. It's not great to me but it's fine, if anything I just wish it got more bonkers earlier.

Bettany and the same director did that movie that was like a bootleg of Auralea or one of those Heavy Metal religious apocalypse comics or something, I think it was just called Priest? Was that any good? I was working in retail at the time so I completely skipped it as I had seen the trailer 100,000,000,000 times.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 17, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neo Rasa posted:

I think this is what really hurt its reception even before the movie came out. The earlier trailers sold it as more of a huge stakes apocalyptic thing and not an Assault on Precinct 13 siege kind of movie which makes it seem like they didn't quite know how to sell it. I know lot of the early negative reviews of it all opened up with feeling cheated about that. It's not great to me but it's fine, if anything I just wish it got more bonkers earlier.

Bettany and the same director did that movie that was like a bootleg of Auralea or one of those Heavy Metal religious apocalypse comics or something, I think it was just called Priest? Was that any good? I was working in retail at the time so I completely skipped it as I had seen the trailer 100,000,000,000 times.

Priest has some defenders, but I found it pretty boring. It felt like it didn’t do much with the premise, and spent too much time trying to cram superfluous worldbuilding into the runtime instead of just telling a compelling story.

Karl Urban plays a vampire named Black Hat. That’s it for the highlights.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

^^^^ literally after the movie ended I looked at the wiki page for the director and saw Priest, which is another religion themed action movie released one year after Legion and also starring Paul Bettany, but it looks 1000x not insane, so I know what I'm watching tonight

e - got beaten but I watched the trailer earlier and I'm still going to watch this bad movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Penpal posted:

^^^^ literally after the movie ended I looked at the wiki page for the director and saw Priest, which is another religion themed action movie released one year after Legion and also starring Paul Bettany, but it looks 1000x not insane, so I know what I'm watching tonight

e - got beaten but I watched the trailer earlier and I'm still going to watch this bad movie

Definitely don't go watch Priest expecting it to be more grounded or reserved than Legion. If anything it's the opposite.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Whilst you're on this unholy spree, be sure to check out Warlock (1989) also.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

got any sevens posted:

Another great Paul Bettany role is in Master and Commander, it really deserved the oscar over RotK

Also check out Gangster No. 1. He's great in that.

ynohtna posted:

Whilst you're on this unholy spree, be sure to check out Warlock (1989) also.

Mark Kermode has two rules: one is that Richard E. Grant has been in many bad movies but has never given a bad performance; the other is that Julian Sands has been in many good movies but never given a good performance (he really, really, really hated Boxing Helena - I think it is for him what North was for Roger Ebert); so Warlock is the one where they cancel each other out. :v:

More seriously, the guys who made Warlock obviously wanted to make Terminator, but they also wanted to make Highlander, so they decided they'd make them both at the same time. The sequel is unbelievably cheap but there's a couple of creepy scenes, including one where Julian Sands transforms a guy into a sentient abstract sculpture. There was a third one which featured Bruce Payne as the Warlock but I haven't seen it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I walked out of priest and never looked back. I really don’t like that director but he did direct a cool alien abduction scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZzAG1f-HEM

And I like the ending taking place on the Fourth of July while this family is huddled up dealing with their own personal hell.

Other wise kinda dull.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Definitely don't go watch Priest expecting it to be more grounded or reserved than Legion. If anything it's the opposite.

Big woops, that NOT was a swipe keyboard gently caress up. It looks 1000x MORE insane haha

Yeah, it looks like trash, too, but when has that stopped me

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Priest is pretty okay, certainly not the worst movie about cowboy vampires you could watch.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

married but discreet posted:

Priest is pretty okay, certainly not the worst movie about cowboy vampires you could watch.

is cowboy vampires one of those surprisingly common sub genres? Like nazi sorcerors?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I have fond memories of John Carpenter's Vampires being a fun sort of cowboy vampire movie but it has been an awful long time since I watched it.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I held off on reccing Priest because I don't remember it that well (but I enjoyed it), but I own JC's Vampires on DVD, I have seen it many times, and it is an excellent movie.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I kinda wish they'd tap Keanu's popularity and make a low budget Constantine sequel. I haven't seen it in years but I was always fond of it. poo poo they could bring back Shia too and I'd buy a ticket as soon possible.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Constantine is also a legit. good movie and actually a lot better than the cranky and extremely period "Thatcher sux!" comics it's taken from.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Penpal posted:

I kinda wish they'd tap Keanu's popularity and make a low budget Constantine sequel. I haven't seen it in years but I was always fond of it. poo poo they could bring back Shia too and I'd buy a ticket as soon possible.

It was a fine horror-noir movie, just not a good John Constantine: Hellblazer adaptation. They have since cast the absolute best Constantine, Matt Ryan, who played him in one season of a doomed NBC series, episodes of Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow, and a few animated projects. I'd argue he's one of the best casting choices for any comic-inspired project of all time, maybe even rounding out the top five with Christopher Reeve, Patrick Stewart, Robert Downey Jr., and J.K. Simmons. He truly brings the character to life.

But the Constantine movie has its strengths (especially Peter Stormare and Tilda Swinton) and makes a great triple-feature with Angel Heart and Lord of Illusions, so I appreciate it very much for that.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

MrBling posted:

I have fond memories of John Carpenter's Vampires being a fun sort of cowboy vampire movie but it has been an awful long time since I watched it.

It popped up on Netflix a little while back and I gave it a rewatch. It’s... okay. Like John Carpenter always brings at least something interesting to the table, even if the end product doesn’t ultimately work, but the movie had a huge chunk of its budget slashed just before filming begins and it shows. Like you can clearly see where what was left of the money went from scene-to-scene. There are a few big setpiece and a loooot of downtime between them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing that set Carpenter's Vampires apart when I was a kid(I was 12 when it was released) was the violence. I wasn't used to seeing guys getting ripped apart and vampires being graphically impaled and that kind of thing. The first scene where Malek shows up to the motel and slaughters everyone was pretty drat scary at the time, I'd never seen a vampire in a movie just go to town on people like that.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

MrBling posted:

I watched Vampires recently and didn't find it fun at all. It had some good moments but so much of the movie is just James Woods being super lovely to Sheryl Lee and it's hard to watch that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FancyMike posted:

I watched Vampires recently and didn't find it fun at all. It had some good moments but so much of the movie is just James Woods being super lovely to Sheryl Lee and it's hard to watch that.

Sheryl Lee's performance is a big reason to watch the movie though. It's crazy how little opportunity she had for good roles, considering she gives one of the all time best I've ever seen in Fire Walk With Me(which was deserving of an Oscar nom).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I understand why one would like Vampires, but it just didn't appeal to me at all either, I was pretty hype for it too.

Didn't it have several direct to video sequels one of which stars Bon Jovi?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

FancyMike posted:

so much of the movie is just James Woods being super lovely

That’s what makes Vampires such a fascinating documentary.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Snowman_McK posted:

is cowboy vampires one of those surprisingly common sub genres? Like nazi sorcerors?
Not exactly, but vampires fit very well into the context of the lonely American West. Near Dark is of course the supreme example.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Sheryl Lee's performance is a big reason to watch the movie though. It's crazy how little opportunity she had for good roles, considering she gives one of the all time best I've ever seen in Fire Walk With Me(which was deserving of an Oscar nom).

I guess her career never really took off because of how wrong everyone was about Fire Walk With Me when it came out? It's so sad, she should have been one of the very best of her generation.

It's not that I think she didn't give a good performance in Vampires, and it might be that I had just finished Twin Peaks: The Return when I watched it and the lead being piece of human poo poo James Woods, but I just think the movie as a whole was especially cruel to her character and put her through quite a bit more abuse than necessary.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

Not exactly, but vampires fit very well into the context of the lonely American West. Near Dark is of course the supreme example.

Near Dark loving rules.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It was a fine horror-noir movie, just not a good John Constantine: Hellblazer adaptation.

Oh yeah no doubt, I don't think anyone would argue that. The movie actually got me into the Hellblazer trades, and strongly stands apart from the source material. I dig sullen American Constantine, and saucy, aloof British Constantine! Still haven't been compelled to check out the series, though, should probably scope it out

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Penpal posted:

Oh yeah no doubt, I don't think anyone would argue that. The movie actually got me into the Hellblazer trades, and strongly stands apart from the source material. I dig sullen American Constantine, and saucy, aloof British Constantine! Still haven't been compelled to check out the series, though, should probably scope it out

You can stream it on CW Seed. It starts out just okay (aside from Ryan's spot-on performance), but you can tell it was steadily finding its way and improving, and would have had a great second season.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

Near Dark loving rules.

verified.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I understand why one would like Vampires, but it just didn't appeal to me at all either, I was pretty hype for it too.

Didn't it have several direct to video sequels one of which stars Bon Jovi?

Yeah, Los Muertos. I saw it once, but I don't it being all that bad.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I think someone mentioned the fight scenes in Banshee in this thread and I'm glad I followed up on the recommendation because the show is a lot of fun. Also really bad and dumb, but the fighting is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Chas McGill posted:

I think someone mentioned the fight scenes in Banshee in this thread and I'm glad I followed up on the recommendation because the show is a lot of fun. Also really bad and dumb, but the fighting is wonderful.

It is a stupid as hell show, but all the action is great. There are some absolutely huge fire fights as well.