Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I've said it before, I wouldn't be so burnt out on Saiyan transformations if they threw a bone to the supporting cast every once in a while.

Give me Pompadour Krillin, Four-Eyed Tien, Football Kickin' Yamcha, Gastropod Shell Piccolo, Android 18.1!

For whatever it may count, Krillin gets the Kaio-ken in Supersonic Warriors and Xenoverse, Yamcha also does in Xenoverse. Both lose it by the sequels, god knows why. Super Saiyan Krillin appears in the DS Butoden that never left Japan as a joke/way to show the custom system in the game, but it's not any genuine difference, just Krillin with a funny wig.

The others have gotten nothing, though beings of the same race have, Lord Slug has a Super-Giant Form fused with the Earth and Super 17 gets to absorb the other Androids, 18 included, but neither of those will go for Piccolo or 18 considering they're evil power ups. Sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
What I don't get is why the red fur AND black hair mane. Apes don't have manes.

It's the only form that turns their hair back to it's original black, which makes it the odd one out considering the rainbow of other transformations.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Maybe I'm missing something on account of I stopped reading Naruto sometime shortly after the time skip, but Naruto needs to actually negotiate with a literal inner fox demon in order to tap into said power, and the more he taps into the more he loses himself to said fox demon, actively becoming more fox-like and growing more tails as he goes up in power.

He eventually cages the fox himself to make it easier, then befriends it when he gets to work on freeing the other tailed beasts.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Blaze Dragon posted:

For whatever it may count, Krillin gets the Kaio-ken in Supersonic Warriors and Xenoverse, Yamcha also does in Xenoverse. Both lose it by the sequels, god knows why. Super Saiyan Krillin appears in the DS Butoden that never left Japan as a joke/way to show the custom system in the game, but it's not any genuine difference, just Krillin with a funny wig.

The others have gotten nothing, though beings of the same race have, Lord Slug has a Super-Giant Form fused with the Earth and Super 17 gets to absorb the other Androids, 18 included, but neither of those will go for Piccolo or 18 considering they're evil power ups. Sad.

Yeah, it was weird how they went back on the Kaioken in X2. You'd think in games where the whole point is alternate timelines and universes, they'd be more willing to give us alternate versions of characters displaying or making use of abilities they would not normally possess in their mainline version.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Maybe I'm missing something on account of I stopped reading Naruto sometime shortly after the time skip, but Naruto needs to actually negotiate with a literal inner fox demon in order to tap into said power, and the more he taps into the more he loses himself to said fox demon, actively becoming more fox-like and growing more tails as he goes up in power.

I just look this up and I have to say the Beast of Darkness drawn in Naruto style looks very silly

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I really thought that episode where Krillin gets his mojo back was going to lead to something cool. They even changed his aura so his power was concentrated in his arms. Then, poof.. never again!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Yeah, it was weird how they went back on the Kaioken in X2. You'd think in games where the whole point is alternate timelines and universes, they'd be more willing to give us alternate versions of characters displaying or making use of abilities they would not normally possess in their mainline version.

That'd imply more creativity than they've ever put in Xenoverse. The best thing we get is Bardock going all the way to SS3 and that's from Heroes in the first place.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I guess it could be interesting if SSJ4 resulted in something similar, becoming more and more beastly and losing oneself the more powerful it becomes. It would give it a certain element of risk to it's usage, filling a different niche than SSBlue/SSGod, and perhaps be more effective in the hands of chronically pissed guys like Broly and Vegeta.

Can't say I ever *disliked* SSJ4 necessarily though. Like most things in GT, it just felt half-baked. The most interesting thing about it being the obvious call-back to the ape form and tails.

Naruto negotiating for power was only a thing until he befriended Kurama and then he fully unlocked its potential. SSJ4 works similarly in the sense that is a Saiyan tapping into the Oozaru and fully controlling it, thus achieving the form.

Calaveron posted:

But whyyyy the red fur with exposed breasts
Like I get that it’s supposed to be more animalistic and stuff but it looks so stupid, I don’t even mind the clothes or eyeliner

The exposed human torso is a reference to Gorillas.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

What I don't get is why the red fur AND black hair mane. Apes don't have manes.

It's the only form that turns their hair back to it's original black, which makes it the odd one out considering the rainbow of other transformations.

Apes don't have manes but Saiyans did.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Blaze Dragon posted:

That'd imply more creativity than they've ever put in Xenoverse. The best thing we get is Bardock going all the way to SS3 and that's from Heroes in the first place.

I think the craziest they ever allowed themselves to be was making Nappa the leader of the Ginyu Force back in the first game.

In the second one, pretty much every fight boils down to "this guy isn't supposed to be here! punch him back into the right timeline!"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The exposed human torso is a reference to Gorillas.

Apes don't have manes but Saiyans did.

I know, and it still looks stupid

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

New Leaf posted:

I really thought that episode where Krillin gets his mojo back was going to lead to something cool. They even changed his aura so his power was concentrated in his arms. Then, poof.. never again!

at least he's not Tien

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Tien and Chiaotzu are the saddest of the bunch having introduced so much cool stuff that everybody uses now(flight, body doubles, solar flare, etc.) and not coming up with anything cool or relevant since.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Tien and Chiaotzu are the saddest of the bunch having introduced so much cool stuff that everybody uses now(flight, body doubles, solar flare, etc.) and not coming up with anything cool or relevant since.

Tien came up with a way to have his rear end kicked harder and look even more dumb than Yamcha ever did.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Bumper Stickup posted:

Tien came up with a way to have his rear end kicked harder and look even more dumb than Yamcha ever did.

He coulda still done a better job of it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

They suffered from being villains introduced before King Piccolo.

The tone of the show changed so much, and Piccolo was built up as such a threat, that every villain before him was instantly irrelevant.

Yamcha had turned over to the good side long enough to become the default "The new bad guy beats him up to show how strong they are" guy, but then Tien snuck into that role. Chiaotzu doesn't do jack squat except have a unique look.

Maybe in Dragonball Super Duper we'll get an episode where they do something cool (probably not, I'd expect Monaka to return before that).

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
To be fair, we still haven't even seen what Monaka is capable of.

Clearly they're holding onto him for something special down the line.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

To be fair, we still haven't even seen what Monaka is capable of.

Clearly they're holding onto him for something special down the line.

He legit owns, I love him, and it sucks he kind of disappeared. I hope at some point Goku is like "Oh man with Ultra Instinct maybe I can fight Monaka again!" and you just see Monaka faint on a space delivery or whatever.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Goku sulks when UI still ain't enough to impress Monaka into having a real fight, who instead just stands there, staring him down.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Monaka will defeat Broly.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Why can't knife girl be a character?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Monaka got ghosted so hard he's not even in the mobile games or Heroes

I'm pretty sure they expected him to be a hit with the Japanese fans and instead their reaction to him was complete apathy

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Calaveron posted:

But whyyyy the red fur with exposed breasts
Like I get that it’s supposed to be more animalistic and stuff but it looks so stupid, I don’t even mind the clothes or eyeliner

I honestly wish they just hulked out of their clothes or something. It would look way less like a fur jacket if we could see their fur pants.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Monaka was a one time joke character, I don't they expected anything more.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

esperterra posted:

I honestly wish they just hulked out of their clothes or something. It would look way less like a fur jacket if we could see their fur pants.

Another thing Heroes improved upon, while the pants are still there, they're ripped enough so you can see Goku clearly has fur in his legs as well. Not Vegeta, but he is still wearing armour so it probably can take the transformation/battles better.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RBX posted:

Monaka was a one time joke character, I don't they expected anything more.

He had several appearances and was in the opening

I think they did and didn't get what they wanted

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Blockhouse posted:

Monaka got ghosted so hard he's not even in the mobile games or Heroes

I'm pretty sure they expected him to be a hit with the Japanese fans and instead their reaction to him was complete apathy

Is that really any different from Launch or any of the other characters that disappeared when their brief relevance to the main plot ended? (? Is there SSGSS Launch in Dragonball Heroes?)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

mycot posted:

Is that really any different from Launch or any of the other characters that disappeared when their brief relevance to the main plot ended? (? Is there SSGSS Launch in Dragonball Heroes?)

Launch is not in Heroes but she is in Dokkan Battle which still puts her above Monaka

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Monaka was a gag character in a comedy show

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I mean, where else could they have put him in between the U6 tournament and the ToP? I'd expect him to show up again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Launch is not in Heroes but she is in Dokkan Battle which still puts her above Monaka

Monaka literally doesn't fight, at all. Lunch had a gun and beat people up.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 17, 2018

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

He had several appearances and was in the opening

I think they did and didn't get what they wanted

He was in the OP to keep the joke up..

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

multijoe posted:

Monaka literally doesn't fight, at all. Lunch had a gun and beat people up.

he beat Hit in one punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMEcKs2XO-E

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, I got the feeling they wanted his character to catch on like Mr Satan did, but after a while they just kinda dumped it. He didn't really overstay his welcome though, so I'm glad they pulled out without it seeming weird.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://a.pomf.cat/zwsfyr.webm

Anyone knows where this clip is from?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

That's the Dragon Ball: The Path to Power movie, a really abridged version of Dragon Ball ending with the Red Ribbon Army Saga.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://a.pomf.cat/zwsfyr.webm

Anyone knows where this clip is from?

Dragonball: The Path of Power.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Neat, I didn't know of it. I'll try to track it down.

Thanks!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Cinema Golden Choice used to play it all the time

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

To be fair, we still haven't even seen what Dr Rota is capable of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i sure hope movie dbs goku is more like movie dbz goku, a man who loves his wife and the planet earth

also someone who will promptly bury any fucker who tries to mess with either