Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

Sahad is easily my favorite character in the story, and gets access to a move that more or less annihilates an entire room full of enemies in a giant AOE with the best damage type. He has never left my party and I don't think he ever will.

he's kinda super lackluster at the start though, as with the fragility of higher difficulties half his moves are just "become a hilariously easy target"

for broken moves I prefer Adol's giant 20sp laser sword that comes out instantly and does way more damage than it should

also why do I always seem to gravitate towards moving as stupidly as possible in these games

Adol: *solemnly* I swear on the name of Adol The Red that I shall fulfill this task *jumps 10 feet into the air like super mario then midair-tumbles out of the village*

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah if we're talking about overpowered moves Adol's huge circle slash has yet to be beat. If you're ever surrounded by enemies you only need to get one flash guard off and then you can cast it like ten times in a row within that time and everything is dead.

Sahad meanwhile has found a permanent place on the bench now that I have another character who does smashing damage. He's so slow!

As a bit of an addendum to my last page rant about difficulty, I think I've honed in further on what I dislike about nightmare. Namely, regular enemies are overtuned in comparison to bosses. They should not be regularly dealing as much damage as the big bosses do with their regular-rear end attacks, and they tend to have way too much health to be interesting. One of the big scorpion guys on the mountain, who have a grand total of two attacks, takes me like 30 second to take down. That's 30 seconds of literally just standing in front of it, getting a painfully simple guard/dodge, mashing out attacks and skills, repeat. This is pretty alright when you're encountering the enemy for the first time, but for the 20th time... It's completely mindless but if I happen to make a mistake thanks to not paying attention, oops that's half my health and possibly all of it.

There's one room in the mountains which has five of these loving scorpions. gently caress. That.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Yeah if we're talking about overpowered moves Adol's huge circle slash has yet to be beat. If you're ever surrounded by enemies you only need to get one flash guard off and then you can cast it like ten times in a row within that time and everything is dead.

Sahad meanwhile has found a permanent place on the bench now that I have another character who does smashing damage. He's so slow!

As a bit of an addendum to my last page rant about difficulty, I think I've honed in further on what I dislike about nightmare. Namely, regular enemies are overtuned in comparison to bosses. They should not be regularly dealing as much damage as the big bosses do with their regular-rear end attacks, and they tend to have way too much health to be interesting. One of the big scorpion guys on the mountain, who have a grand total of two attacks, takes me like 30 second to take down. That's 30 seconds of literally just standing in front of it, getting a painfully simple guard/dodge, mashing out attacks and skills, repeat. This is pretty alright when you're encountering the enemy for the first time, but for the 20th time... It's completely mindless but if I happen to make a mistake thanks to not paying attention, oops that's half my health and possibly all of it.

There's one room in the mountains which has five of these loving scorpions. gently caress. That.

basically, there should really be a step between Hard and Nightmare where enemies are dangerous but not oneshot dangerous

i'm still enjoying my Nightmare playthrough but man some enemies(like those rear end in a top hat scorpions) are just obnoxious

the scorpions still aren't nearly as bad as those plants that barf seeds everywhere though

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I picked CS 2 back up because playing the entire series back to back ended up burning me out. Im kinda proud to say i beat the Glacia shrine boss but i had to use Tauros/Domination to do it. Question though, did i miss a bunch of bonus talking by not bringing Millium to the Villa fight?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Not really. They realize you have no reason to know to bring her so they don't put anything very important there if you do.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Dang, still looking forward to seeing what their deal is.

The difficulty feels kinda weird, i'm at this point where if i really want to i can make sure the enemy basically never gets a turn but on the other hand if they do get a turn it friggen hurts. Which is fun, don't get me wrong, it just kinda reminds me of the poo poo you could pull in BD or Second, where your options could largely boil down to cheese or die.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I wish trails just did the nonsensical thing where the entire party is always traveling with you but only X members can be in the active, battling party. Missing those two lines of dialogue hurts!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

BrightWing posted:

The difficulty feels kinda weird, i'm at this point where if i really want to i can make sure the enemy basically never gets a turn but on the other hand if they do get a turn it friggen hurts. Which is fun, don't get me wrong, it just kinda reminds me of the poo poo you could pull in BD or Second, where your options could largely boil down to cheese or die.
Equip a bunch of HP and defensive quartz and your survivability will shoot up - lots of people ignore them. Jusis with the Iron MQ took the final boss's S-Craft, while it was a crit turn, and shrugged it off.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Amppelix posted:

I wish trails just did the nonsensical thing where the entire party is always traveling with you but only X members can be in the active, battling party. Missing those two lines of dialogue hurts!

Sometimes they do have reasons why part of the party is away (e.g., have to hold back these guards!), but then sometimes they just chill in a lobby for some reason. I'm surprised CS2 didn't end with splitting up into separate parties, though. It certainly had a cast big enough to support that and goddammit why hasn't anything surpassed FF6 on that front?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Sky 3rd did it too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Plenty of games do that, stop being dumb

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BrightWing posted:

The one thing I'll say is that Millium/Altina's deal is certainly A Thing. CS3 in general has a lot of pretty great reveals about various things and characters, some of which caught me off guard (CS3 spoilers) (namely Alisa's dad being one of the Big Bads, especially after the whole sidequest with fixing the watch he gave her in CS1 or 2).

The funniest CS3 reveal was (CS3 spoilers)George Nome being a gnome, which I somehow never noticed despite the gnomes being mentioned in CS2.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Ytlaya posted:

The one thing I'll say is that Millium/Altina's deal is certainly A Thing. CS3 in general has a lot of pretty great reveals about various things and characters, some of which caught me off guard (CS3 spoilers) (namely Alisa's dad being one of the Big Bads, especially after the whole sidequest with fixing the watch he gave her in CS1 or 2).

The funniest CS3 reveal was (CS3 spoilers)George Nome being a gnome, which I somehow never noticed despite the gnomes being mentioned in CS2.

They threw you by calling him George instead of Georg. At least that's what I tell myself.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Some people probably hate it, but Goddamn do I love the (CS3 spoilers) George twist. I always love it when a small, fairly obvious twist is used to hide a much bigger one.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tae posted:

Plenty of games do that, stop being dumb

Pretty randomly dickish reply there, yo.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Turns out Sun Door 2 wasn't that bad, in the end. Finished all three chapters in about 20 minutes. The ultimate fisherman kept flubbing his turns.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What is this grindy bullshit meat quest in Ys 8!?

Primitive meat is apparently the rarest drop in the game because these dinosaurs sure aren't giving me any. And it's not like I can just wait to eventually get lucky and find some since quests expire in this game, with extremely unclear triggers.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Jesus. Just... everything about the top of infernal castle. God drat.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Turns out Sun Door 2 wasn't that bad, in the end. Finished all three chapters in about 20 minutes. The ultimate fisherman kept flubbing his turns.

Wow, you got through the first few chapters super quick.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Some Numbers posted:

Wow, you got through the first few chapters super quick.

It's a quick game, honestly. I got Richard in my party after doing the Sun Door and called it a day. I'll aim to grab Renne tomorrow.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BearDrivingTruck posted:

It's a quick game, honestly. I got Richard in my party after doing the Sun Door and called it a day. I'll aim to grab Renne tomorrow.

Fair enough.

Both of them own.

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014

BrightWing posted:

I picked CS 2 back up because playing the entire series back to back ended up burning me out. Im kinda proud to say i beat the Glacia shrine boss but i had to use Tauros/Domination to do it. Question though, did i miss a bunch of bonus talking by not bringing Millium to the Villa fight?

CS 3 has a flashback to the dialogue there as if you took Millium with you IIRC so you'll see it anyway. Of course by that point you already know what the deal is anyway. It's only a couple lines but you could say they're kind of significant.

The n00b Avenger fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 18, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm not going to link it but :bisonyes: at the interior art of the sen 4 steelbook

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

15 Sec commercial for Sen IV got released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxCf3kUKC2E

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The only way that could have hyped people up more would be if Falcom had given people "the bird" as well.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

wow i sure do wonder who it could be if you post such a """vague""" hint

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Can we just ban CS3/4 chat from here unless it's like, news about localizations? It seems to only serve like 2 people whereas the rest of us just have to endure spoilers because people are SO EXCITED that they can't remember that spoiler tags exist.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

In fact, it should be illegal to read japanese.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Can we just ban CS3/4 chat from here unless it's like, news about localizations? It seems to only serve like 2 people whereas the rest of us just have to endure spoilers because people are SO EXCITED that they can't remember that spoiler tags exist.

Completely agree with this.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's lame to do it while we're still over 2 months away from release but someone should just make a spoiler thread now imo because it's not like falcom is going to stop putting out crazy poo poo

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lets hang out posted:

It's lame to do it while we're still over 2 months away from release but someone should just make a spoiler thread now imo because it's not like falcom is going to stop putting out crazy poo poo

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3863713

super high effort wow

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Thanks Cake Attack, we appreciate it.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
CS2 (just in case)
Lloyd is a Good Boy, i hope to play good games someday. Poor Rean is an absolute wreck after everything. Though tearing into Claire was both great and sad all at once. And the dorm talks had everyone want to say something but no one could figure out what to say. Oh well, maybe his last free day will go we- pfffftttt no, let's see how bad this proc gen dungeon I've heard so much about actually is.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Mirrors are awesome. But them and use them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

BrightWing posted:

CS2 (just in case)
Lloyd is a Good Boy, i hope to play good games someday. Poor Rean is an absolute wreck after everything. Though tearing into Claire was both great and sad all at once. And the dorm talks had everyone want to say something but no one could figure out what to say. Oh well, maybe his last free day will go we- pfffftttt no, let's see how bad this proc gen dungeon I've heard so much about actually is.

It's not bad at all! It just suffers from the ending's poor pacing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Feel free to ignore the mirrors and just blaze through to the end. They're a neat gimmick, but if you're getting burned out like I was, it's better to just save before the end, finish the game now, and if you still feel like playing and getting all the mirrors, go wild.

SouljaBoyVEVO
May 19, 2018

From the Ghastly Eyrie, I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point, I declare, with UTTER CERTAINTY, that THIS one is IN. THE BAG.
Just beat Zero no Kiseki. Super excited to get started on Ao. A lot of people say Ao is the best Kiseki game, what do you guys think?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

SouljaBoyVEVO posted:

Just beat Zero no Kiseki. Super excited to get started on Ao. A lot of people say Ao is the best Kiseki game, what do you guys think?

I only got by with an unedited script and I absolutely loved it. I think Sky Second Chapter had more of an impact on me, but Ao would probably be a close second, followed by Zero.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Amppelix posted:

What is this grindy bullshit meat quest in Ys 8!?

Primitive meat is apparently the rarest drop in the game because these dinosaurs sure aren't giving me any. And it's not like I can just wait to eventually get lucky and find some since quests expire in this game, with extremely unclear triggers.

the latest raids should give you a few easily, it's not that bad. plus I think there's a chest in that chapter with 3x primitive meat for that purpose.

also, rule on quest expiry:

Long: Until the end of the game
Mid: End of current chapter
Short: Next boss(Dana sections don't count)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Logicblade posted:

I only got by with an unedited script and I absolutely loved it. I think Sky Second Chapter had more of an impact on me, but Ao would probably be a close second, followed by Zero.

If you were the one who put up a whole Youtube LP like a year back, I watched that and somewhat disagree. Or, more accurately, a huge chunk of the entire ending sequence killed a huge chunk of the goodwill the rest of Ao and Zero had built up, as I found Ao's ending absolutely terrible on multiple levels (From Lloyd and party successfully taking on an Aeon, to basically everything involving Mariabell... the Arios stuff was decent at least). Honestly, probably the worst game ending in the series for me.