Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Warmachine posted:

"And this is the magazine?"

"No, the stable."

"Stable?"

A gout of flame shoots through the roof.

Modelled on the Ank Morporkian Dragon pens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I've chosen pretty safe starts so far, but it seems like rice is broken, once you start growing it it grows so fast and you have a poo poo ton of it, it almost feels like cheating.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

zenguitarman posted:

I've chosen pretty safe starts so far, but it seems like rice is broken, once you start growing it it grows so fast and you have a poo poo ton of it, it almost feels like cheating.
Rice actually gives you less food than corn in terms of nutrition per day, and takes more pawn time to sow and harvest repeatedly. In worse soil than normal potatos are the best though. I tend to grow a few fields of rice to start my food storage with, but I'll transition out of it after a reaping or two.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Does it make sense to stick primarily with rice if all your veggies are grown with hydroponics? In case of a solar flare, power outage, etc., you can fit in more harvests/get back into production in the event of total crop loss.

That's how I've been approaching it at least, maybe my logic is flawed.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah if you're worried about power blackouts killing your hydroponics (loving Randy :argh:) rice is probably the safest crop in vanilla.

Of course by the time the colony is progressed enough to have a good hydroponics setup going I'm usually in the market for loads of drug production. :getin:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
for those of you wondering: i've considered the SA colony project a pretty good success with the stupid stories we got out of it. i'm basically waiting for 1.0 to launch so i can figure out the world pawn pool stuff a bit and then i'll bring it back for another round in GBS.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Pleads posted:

Does it make sense to stick primarily with rice if all your veggies are grown with hydroponics? In case of a solar flare, power outage, etc., you can fit in more harvests/get back into production in the event of total crop loss.

That's how I've been approaching it at least, maybe my logic is flawed.
Yeah, hydroponics is when it's smart to swap back to rice (solar flarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre), but if you're using hydroponics manpower usually isn't an issue one way or another.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress solar flares

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Coolguye posted:

for those of you wondering: i've considered the SA colony project a pretty good success with the stupid stories we got out of it. i'm basically waiting for 1.0 to launch so i can figure out the world pawn pool stuff a bit and then i'll bring it back for another round in GBS.

I'm in

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I never bother with hydroponics, it's too annoying to lose an entire crop. I just wall in an area and toss a sun lamp and heater in it instead, then grow corn. No risk and low work requirements for slightly lower reward is worth it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that won't work on taiga and colder climes, which is what i presume the hydro cats were talking about with their setups. even if you melt the snow the soil underneath is garbage most the time.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah but there are lots of ways to mitigate lovely soil through mods. It's kind of silly how you can't move soil at all in the base game, I mean Jerry cans appear from the ether but we can't get bags for soil?

Besides, you can't grow corn in hydroponics (unless you mod it I guess).

Personally I like the roof mod that gives you buildable thick stone roofs, or clear glass ceilings that let you take advantage of the sunlight, all you need to do is heat it. Great for greenhouses.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i mean moving soil is sort of the shittier and less helpful version of hydroponics in practice. soil is good or bad by virtue of where it is in the larger cycle of things, less so by virtue of what's inside of it. picking up and moving the dirt might help to get a seed to germinate but that's pretty much it. the soil would require constant outside enrichment to maintain life, which sounds an awful lot like hydroponics.

it is mega bogus that we can't make clear roofs though that's for sure. even if you had to use plasteel to make transparent plastics or something that'd be a drat nice alternative to faffing around with sunlamps and their power hunger.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Mark Watley did it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

wattney literally shat on his plants to keep them fertilized

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Coolguye posted:

i mean moving soil is sort of the shittier and less helpful version of hydroponics in practice. soil is good or bad by virtue of where it is in the larger cycle of things, less so by virtue of what's inside of it. picking up and moving the dirt might help to get a seed to germinate but that's pretty much it. the soil would require constant outside enrichment to maintain life, which sounds an awful lot like hydroponics.

it is mega bogus that we can't make clear roofs though that's for sure. even if you had to use plasteel to make transparent plastics or something that'd be a drat nice alternative to faffing around with sunlamps and their power hunger.

Yeah, moving the soil might work for a while, but certainly not for more than a year. It's obscured because what makes soil fertile is abstracted.

Like water barely exists. The highly fertile spots are often near the wet spots, so logically moving that soil to ground that is high and dry would immediately affect fertility. Being able to roof over bare soil and keep planting for years without an irrigation system is just weird. Without direct rainfall it shouldn't work at all. Water is just sort of assumed to be there and doing water stuff without anyone messing with it.

Likewise, over years it should be possible to improve the fertility of marginal soil that receives sufficient rainfall. Throw all your corncobs and animal dung in a compost heap and you are manufacturing your own sweet rear end topsoil. Seriously, this stuff is garden magic. But that would involve some colonist going around sweeping all the 'animal filth' into a bucket or something. Composting just isn't something games bother putting into mechanics, not even Stardew Valley or Dwarf Fortress. Worms and rot just gets no respect.

Instead we get a very abstract and simplistic version of food production, because realistic food production is not fun for most folks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The main issue with hydroponics is that it's basically plant life support, whereas even having to fertilize your artificial beds is more like plant feeding.

A raised bed doesn't die if you turn off the power for five minutes.

I think the terraforming mod that sorts soil types into tiers and has different ways to enrich them for each step is a very good one and handles it quite well, it'd also mix well I think with soil degradation per-harvest.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm gonna do a big effort post about my experiences growing weed irl, hydroponics, and amending soil.

But if you don't care, think about potting soil, and why that would work if the soil was unimportant.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also a lot of hydroponic setups still use a soil analogue.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

How janky is the unstable build at the moment?

Debating whether I should start a new game now or wait until 1.0 is published.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Class Warcraft posted:

I've been playing a colony through the last 8 updates that happen almost daily and haven't had any issues, sometimes a tech you had researched needs to have more time put into it, but no crashes or anything.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I love the terraforming mod, though being able to make deep water is a bit broken.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Coolguye posted:

wattney literally shat on his plants to keep them fertilized

dub's bad hygiene exists

meanwhile vanilla doesn't include any kind of consideration for crop rotation, tilling soil, fertilizer...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

that rich soil should be basically gravel a few years out :colbert:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OwlFancier posted:

The main issue with hydroponics is that it's basically plant life support, whereas even having to fertilize your artificial beds is more like plant feeding.

A raised bed doesn't die if you turn off the power for five minutes.

I think the terraforming mod that sorts soil types into tiers and has different ways to enrich them for each step is a very good one and handles it quite well, it'd also mix well I think with soil degradation per-harvest.

I've played around with that one a bit, but thought it was a little too involved. I do think it's weird that there isn't some kind of intermediate fertilizer tech to raise the fertility of soil types for additional work invested. Something like the tilled soil mod, except not as bullshit (200% increased fertility, really?) And maybe only lasting a season.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Fertile fields allows conversion of soil to rich soil (140) and eventually plowed soil (180) so slightly less but still a big thing. Originally it had a variant for soil placed on smooth stone that only allowed up to 140, but with full terraforming you can completely take rough stone and turn it into plowed soil after a lot of time, effort, and specific resources.

Of course, each unit of soil -> rich soil takes one fertilizer (same as rich oil -> plowed soil), which has to be made from compost. Corpses processed at a campfire give 2 compost, at an electric crematorium 4 (so it gets an actual use). You can take 3.75 nutrition to make 5 compost (iirc), or 75 units of "rotted mush" which is what something turns into when it hits the time it would otherwise have gone rotten, so you could butcher a corpse for more meat and then let the meat rot (or use the meat itself) and potentially get more compost out of it, depending.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

HelloSailorSign posted:

Corpses processed at a campfire give 2 compost, at an electric crematorium 4 (so it gets an actual use).

Are you making GBS threads me I've been butchering the corpses, composting the meat, and just tanking the mood debuff

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Friend was asking me about how to fight some megaspiders. I told him to take care of it before it gets out of hand.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Friend was asking me about how to fight some megaspiders. I told him to take care of it before it gets out of hand.

:stonk: Look, I'm flippant as hell about dealing with infestations, but :piaa:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenzarin posted:

Holy gently caress I think it’s time to move

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I told him his best bet was to dig a hole to the west side of the map and then make a caravan to leave the map to the west.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Danaru posted:

Are you making GBS threads me I've been butchering the corpses, composting the meat, and just tanking the mood debuff

I think this method gives you the most possible compost, assuming a fully intact corpse (90 meat) while also getting you leather to sell.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Class Warcraft posted:

If you have any mods you must tick them back on in the mod menu after an update. Thats as shakey as it gets. Go 1.0 if you wanna go mod-lite, it is like future-vanilla.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

:sever:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

not you with your friend, your friend's connection with his base.

like seriously i take pride in finding "one weird trick" solutions to impossible situations in this game and my expert opinion on that one is "YUP, IT'S hosed."

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Three pawns with doomsday rockets?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

imagine four pawns on the edge of a cliff

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Got nothing better to do than watch him try to fight this. The megaspiders now have their own stockpiles.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 18, 2018

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I like that the tutorial is still on. "Hey tutorial how do I handle 50 megaspiders?"

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Maybe if the entire forest got set on fire?