Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

wyoak posted:

I just ran into an issue where some of our partners were pulling the incorrect IPv4 addresses for their payment processor (CES / FirstData).

The payment gateways are:
vxn.datawire.net
vxn1.datawire.net
vxn2.datawire.net

The correct IP's are 216.220.36.75, 205.167.140.10, and 64.243.142.36. However, our affected locations (in Alaska on two different ISP's) were getting 45.227.252.17 as the IPv4 address, which I think is registered to a web hosting company in the Caribbean.

According to good old What's My DNS, most of the world has it correct, but there are a few out there (in Pakistan and Australia at the time I ran the test) with the 45.x.x.x address. Might be something malicious, might just be a misconfiguration. But anyway, it's NOT just you, and the datawire people are the ones who need to look into it and fix it.

https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/vxn.datawire.net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green/status/1018197338878341120
https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green/status/1018203991463915520

There's a bunch more in that thread.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
For the grizzled and seasoned infosec pros in this thread: Would you recommend making the jump from IT Manager to CISO at an organization with ~700 employees? We don't currently have a separate infosec team, so I am already performing much of the function already.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

adorai posted:

For the grizzled and seasoned infosec pros in this thread: Would you recommend making the jump from IT Manager to CISO at an organization with ~700 employees? We don't currently have a separate infosec team, so I am already performing much of the function already.

Yes, but be aware

A) the job, if done right, is VERY different than typical manager positions. You will be the one setting policy and practices and all responsibility for security starts and stops with you.

B) You’ll spend more time in meetings than you thought existed.

B) You’ll be painting a BIG target on your back.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

Yes, but be aware

A) the job, if done right, is VERY different than typical manager positions. You will be the one setting policy and practices and all responsibility for security starts and stops with you.

B) You’ll spend more time in meetings than you thought existed.

B) You’ll be painting a BIG target on your back.

A) I already do this.
B) I already do.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Who would you report to? You need high level buy in from the start; if you don’t have that, or are not in a position to be able to quickly build it things might be tough.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Albinator posted:

Who would you report to? You need high level buy in from the start; if you don’t have that, or are not in a position to be able to quickly build it things might be tough.

Typically a CISO will report directly to the CEO or COO. Occasionally for very large companies, I've heard of them reporting to the CIO, but that seems counterproductive.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Albinator posted:

I am in the position where I am trying to decouple IS from IT already. I am on a first name basis with every executive as well as numerous board members. If I were to guess, the reporting would be a solid line to the board with a dashed lines to the CIO and the CRO.

Management buy in would not be an issue.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

adorai posted:

I am in the position where I am trying to decouple IS from IT already. I am on a first name basis with every executive as well as numerous board members. If I were to guess, the reporting would be a solid line to the board with a dashed lines to the CIO and the CRO.

Management buy in would not be an issue.

I'd definitely go for it.

I'm currently fighting the "divorce IS from IT" battle myself. I'm getting some traction, but it's so god drat frustrating to explain to people why it needs to be done over and over again.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm currently fighting the "divorce IS from IT" battle myself. I'm getting some traction, but it's so god drat frustrating to explain to people why it needs to be done over and over again.

i work for a bank so i can fall back on the FFIEC guidance. Lucky, i guess.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Same. Sounds like a great opportunity.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Proteus Jones posted:

Typically a CISO will report directly to the CEO or COO. Occasionally for very large companies, I've heard of them reporting to the CIO, but that seems counterproductive.

In one large company I worked for, the CSO reported to the GC.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

In one large company I worked for, the CSO reported to the GC.

CSO or CISO? And what is GC?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CLAM DOWN posted:

CSO or CISO? And what is GC?

CSO, responsible for both internal IT and product-behaviour security. GC is general counsel.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

CSO, responsible for both internal IT and product-behaviour security. GC is general counsel.

I've never heard it being done that way, but that might be a good way to ensure compliance. "Do this, because not doing this can open us up from a liability standpoint". Plus it keeps InfoSec silo'd away from IT.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I've never heard of a CSO being that, and never heard of one reporting to a lawyer.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Plus it keeps InfoSec silo'd away from IT.

This is not a good thing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is not a good thing.

I'm not saying IS shouldn't work with IT, but security should absolutely have a different reporting line than IT. Especially when it comes to incident handling and postmortems. IT should not be investigating itself.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've never heard of a CSO being that, and never heard of one reporting to a lawyer.

You have now!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm not saying IS shouldn't work with IT, but security should absolutely have a different reporting line than IT. Especially when it comes to incident handling and postmortems. IT should not be investigating itself.

Operations reports through CTO, security through CISO/CIO

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Operations reports through CTO, security through CISO/CIO

Good call, I wasn't thinking about Ops.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

adorai posted:

A) I already do this.
B) I already do.

There's a diff between inplementing policies and implementing policies well. I've seen several new CISOs think their word is law and gently caress you just immediately lose control and try to fight back to respect through years of corporate security report bitch work.

Important is also your relationship with not only the other executives (you should be able to turn any complex CVE into a three sentence explanation with an additional sentence to explain why your company is at risk) but also business. Mannnn, the wins I got because I knew and socially connected to the people that made the money. If they are on your side, even the CIO will not be able to gently caress with you if business has a stink in their mind about security.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

EVIL Gibson posted:

CISOs :words: should be able to turn any complex CVE into a three sentence explanation

I wanna know what CISOs you've been hanging around, the majority of the ones I have had interactions with would struggle stringing 3 sentences together and that's even before we start getting things like computers involved.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Sorry your CISO sucks, mine is good.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

But the police do it, and look how well that works!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

But the police do it, and look how well that works!

Seems to work fine for them, pensions, job security, and if you gently caress up at work and ruin lives you get a free vacation... hold a sec while I talk to management about a reorg.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

SeaborneClink posted:

I wanna know what CISOs you've been hanging around, the majority of the ones I have had interactions with would struggle stringing 3 sentences together and that's even before we start getting things like computers involved.

My angle is I try to turn the target to "us as the company" rather than "random Linux machine".

Educated generalizations is key.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ElCondemn posted:

Seems to work fine for them, pensions, job security, and if you gently caress up at work and ruin lives you get a free vacation... hold a sec while I talk to management about a reorg.

get a union! :v:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

wrong thread

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

A CISO needs to be able to speak business and convince his peers and "higher ups" through common knowledge and relationships. Usually fed with domain knowledge. But my God, I pity you if you have a raw technical CISO. You're hosed. They are cursed with knowledge and more often than not struggle to get their very specific message across to people who regularly ask their son to reboot their laptops.

Oh and that they should report to CEO or COO is about right. If a CISO reports to CIO or CTO you're way on the track towards conflict of interest and you'll see the problem being turned back at you.

I reported to the audit committee of the supervisory board for actual content, and to CEO for salary/bonus purposes. Advice and personal results are decoupled from what IT and Dev are doing, and that's good also: they have very different targets. Your strategy will lie in having them understand the importance of the strategy and you make agreements based on that. However, as soon as they fail to live up to those agreements; shareholders will know in detail through the committee reports.

Moving on from infosec to privacy however gave me a lot more handholds to get poo poo done because somehow that suddenly hits home with colleagues.

That's my CISO story thanks for reading

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ElCondemn posted:

pensions, job security

The nerve

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I got a yubikey and I’m starting have some buyers remorse. Seems like the implementations and vendor support aren’t really there yet, especially for mobile. Like for google I have to use chrome to use it for authentication.

I guess I should have read closer into it.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

skooma512 posted:

I got a yubikey and I’m starting have some buyers remorse. Seems like the implementations and vendor support aren’t really there yet, especially for mobile. Like for google I have to use chrome to use it for authentication.

I guess I should have read closer into it.

U2F is a great idea that just isn't ready for primetime outside Enterprise space. Hell, Google still "strongly recommends" putting a phone number as a backup 2FA, completely defeating the point of using non-SMS 2FA options. Asking companies to support USB/NFC dongles is apparently asking the impossible at the moment.

And have fun selling ordinary people on the need to buy a $50-$100 phone-compatible auth dongle when we still can't even get more than less of a third of them to spend a few bucks a month on password managers.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 19, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

G Suite can ask people for an employee ID as well now, though that's not much use if all your staff wear their lanyards on the train and people are really determined to get into your systems.

Windows is going to work with FIDO2 shortly, so with any luck that will kick adoption up a notch.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Can anyone recommend a good, free password vault for iOS that supports sync? My 73 year old mom is finally willing to move away from having a printed list of passwords, her only devices are an ipad and an iphone, but I can't seem to find anything good as far as keepass apps.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Does the iOS vault not sync between devices?

I use 1password and like it. There is an extension to fill passwords in iOS. And in iOS 12, they are supposed to support auto-fill

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wouldn't recommend Keepass for non-techies, anyway. In my experience, Keepass is just a bit too finicky and user-unfriendly for regular older folks to use without handholding. 1Password is your best bet in this case.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Apple keychain on iCloud or 1password are your only bets.

Keychain is fine, it integrates with basically all apps too

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks. I was thinking keychain but have no experience with it. I'll let her know its the recommended option :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Dropbox account and iOS app Keepass Touch are also any option. Fair comments about simplicity/usability, though.