Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

50v50 is the mode for search challenges, the 8 minute timer for the circle is super useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I love 50v50 so much. Makes a lot of challenges better. I had sort of a fun time getting my "center of three storm circles challenge" last season. Most 50s weren't making it to a third circle, and then when one did, I was dead. My squad was alive and got it while hunting the last hostile down. So I had to keep grinding. Cut to me hours later, hiding under a tree, last man alive, and 24 hostiles are trying to track me down. I'm watching the timer tick down to third circle appearing and watching the trees next to me get cut down by miniguns as they search. Timer ends, circle pops, and I manage to scramble there a half-second before two dozen streams of gunfire all converge on my person. Did I win the match? Not even close. Was it a cherished victory? You bet.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

objectively bad posted:

I could have done something differently, but you're making it sound way easier than it is. My walls would all have been gone before I could line up a shot if I'd dropped back as soon as I realised he had a minigun, and even then what happens? Miniguns have higher dps and less spread than a scar. Best I could hope for is getting one FSA headshot before my walls disappear then winning the bloom diceroll.

Dude, just accept you were in exactly the perfect storm for a very niche tool and reacted in exactly the right way for him to win.
Charging with a shotgun or smg would've probably won, explosives would've stopped him, sniping, running away -literally doing anything other than what you did would probably have had a better outcome. Hell sometimes what you did even will work due to ammo concerns!
Yes I know you didn't have all the supplies I'm listing, but no one ever calls for the grey pistol to get nerfed because someone killed them with it when they only had a pickaxe and used a dance emote instead of running.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My favorite move with the minigun is flanking the other team in 50v50 and taking out a whole squad in a fort who aren't watching their back. Doesn't matter where the bullets go. It's gonna hit someone!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

objectively bad posted:

remove miniguns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRPzVzKxhM4

that's ~1400 mats vs 2/3 of his ammo. I screwed up moving onto the ground where I need 2 walls in front of me to not take damage but still, it's obnoxious and excessive.

You tried to beat rock with scissors. Trying to turtle is the kind of gameplay the minigun punishes the most because it is non-stop pressure.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
You guys are giving me a lot of poo poo over a death that I might have been able to turn into a bloom battle I'd likely have lost.

My desire to see the minigun being nerfed doesn't stem or rest upon that one death. Please stop talking to me like I'm having a meltdown over this one death.

I want them nerfed anytime I have one with 200+ small ammo because they're ridiculous.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Guys you're acting like I'm melting down about a single time pickaxes killed me. I've died to pickaxes hundreds of times, and every time someone gets the drop on me with one I KNOW they're too strong. I can't even build walls fast enough to keep a guy with a pickaxe away from me! I could have max mats and the dude with the pickaxe always wins.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
At least your name is apt, SA user Objectively Bad

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Explain to me using only emojis why I should buy PvE which is now half price til the 30th? Seriously though, tell me why.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

objectively bad posted:

You guys are giving me a lot of poo poo over a death that I might have been able to turn into a bloom battle I'd likely have lost.

My desire to see the minigun being nerfed doesn't stem or rest upon that one death. Please stop talking to me like I'm having a meltdown over this one death.

I want them nerfed anytime I have one with 200+ small ammo because they're ridiculous.

:shrug:

If this is the hill you want to die upon, who are we to stop you? But seriously, I'm still confounded by your claim relating them to scars :psyduck:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Also do you have to wait to the entire end of 50 v 50 to get your exp? It's one of my favorite modes but that is a drag.

No you get all the XP your earned up til you quit. If your teams wins you get 50 xp though so I normally only quit when it’s obvious we’re going to lose or it’s really early in the match

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Re: PvE
It's a bit grindy, especially later on, but you can get vbucks for completing quests in it. 50 v-bucks for a daily quest and you can hold 3 of those at once. Random other quests will give vbucks as well. Storm Shield Defense quests give 100 vbucks to complete, but those are part of the story line missions. I normally use the daily quests and what I can get from the story line quests to grind out the vbucks I need for the battlepass and some cosmetics each season.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

codo27 posted:

Explain to me using only emojis why I should buy PvE which is now half price til the 30th? Seriously though, tell me why.

:gibs::gizz:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Johnny Truant posted:

:shrug:

If this is the hill you want to die upon, who are we to stop you? But seriously, I'm still confounded by your claim relating them to scars :psyduck:

The highground to die on. But yea simply dropping off the back of the fort picking a side to roll to and shooting with an AR would've won that battle.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Seltzer posted:

The highground to die on. But yea simply dropping off the back of the fort picking a side to roll to and shooting with an AR would've won that battle.

Actually it was more like the fort to die one :rimshot:

And yeah, dude had a sniper rifle. Build some extra doodoo walls to distract dude for a few seconds and just fuckin hit him with the sniper. Doesn't even have to be a headshot, that probably would've caused him to stop tearing down those pointless walls.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The mini gun sucks, cant aim it for poo poo and it only does 18 damage at range. LMGs are the overpowered gun for that constant pressure play style

i love lmgs

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Known damage-dealing laser-accurate weapon the Minigun

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

IMO they need to switch the Hunting Rifle from using the ADS gyro sensitivity to the scope gyro sensitivity on the Switch. It functions like a sniper rifle so it should use the same sensitivity.

It was one of my favorite weapons and now I can't do poo poo with it because I use a higher gyro setting for ADS.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

codo27 posted:

🏧💵➡️👕

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
It's less of a hill that I've chosen to die on and more that you've already all decided that I've died on this hill because of all the mistakes I made and any response I make is just proof that I'm dying on this hill :shrug:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

objectively bad posted:

It's less of a hill that I've chosen to die on and more that you've already all decided that I've died on this hill because of all the mistakes I made and any response I make is just proof that I'm dying on this hill :shrug:

Further proof you’ve chosen this hill to die on, imo

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
No, it's because you tripled down on how miniguns are laser-accurate super-deadly weapons that are nigh unbeatable in any event rather than just admitting you made the wrong call for that situation or panicked and taking it as an opportunity to learn and become a better player.

Preem Palver fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 17, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

please do no speak to me or my minison again

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My minison wields my minigun with miniaccuracy!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
its okay ill build you another hill to die on over here

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

objectively bad posted:

Nice meltdown.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Philthy posted:

its okay ill build you another hill to die on over here

holy poo poo this needs to be the new thread title

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You would've been hosed if that guy had rockets or a grenade launcher or any number of other items too. Epic said they were going to nerf building, and they did.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HebrewMagic posted:

Known damage-dealing laser-accurate weapon the Minigun

Every time an orange Scar pops out of a chest, I sigh and think "why couldn't this have been a minigun instead??"

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Nobody takes the minigun. It's the last thing that needs a nerf.

I'm still not sure I understand this new SMG. It looks like very similar stats but with slightly more damage and a smaller magazine. Did they just want to change the model and had to call it something new?

wa27 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 17, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

prom candy posted:

Epic said they were going to nerf building, and they did.

:doh:

I actually completely forgot about this, haha. This makes sense why in 50v50 I'm getting wrecked when I try to retreat and build walls/stairs in front of me, haha.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

wa27 posted:

I'm still not sure I understand this new SMG. It looks like very similar stats but with slightly more damage and a smaller magazine. Did they just want to change the model and had to call it something new?

Lower RoF and a smaller magazine is huge. The Tac SMG was flat out overpowered IMO, because the sheer volume of fire it put out combined with its patched improved accuracy and bullet damage meant that you could melt just about anyone by merely holding down mouse1. And despite being touted as the close range shotgun alternative, you could still do more with it at a distance than you'd think thanks to those buffs. Better than non-tap fired silent SMGs, possibly.

Those two stats also fundamentally control how many lucky headshots you can get by madly spraying at someone.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ll never understand why most players ignore miniguns and explosives. I usually have a lot of success with them.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Nice Meltdown

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

John Murdoch posted:

merely holding down mouse1

As a former pyro player in tf2 I now badly want a flamethrower in fortnite

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

Preem Palver posted:

No, it's because you tripled down on how miniguns are laser-accurate super-deadly weapons that are nigh unbeatable in any event rather than just admitting you made the wrong call for that situation or panicked and taking it as an opportunity to learn and become a better player.

That's not even close to an argument I made. In the event where I'll barely have time to line up one FSA shot with a scar, and the guy's minigun is already spooling the minigun is definitely favoured. I got my numbers mixed up earlier and the scar has ever so slightly better bloom, their bloom stats are identical except the scar has 0.60 ADS multiplier while the minigun has 0.65, I thought it was the other way around. That's not enough to overcome the dps difference in a bloom battle.

I had a sniper, but it was empty so I'd need 2.7 seconds to reload it, in which time all my walls would have been removed.

I already admitted I could have done something differently, I've just been pointing out that even if I had done all that, I'd still be in a poo poo position against someone just standing out in an open field firing a minigun.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Seltzer posted:

Also do you have to wait to the entire end of 50 v 50 to get your exp? It's one of my favorite modes but that is a drag.

As far as I know, you get your earned XP immediately but I haven't done the math to check it for sure. I often stick around if it looks like we'll win for the extra fifty though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Motion controls for Switch are so clutch. Saved my rear end once or twice where I normally would have been beaten.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’ll never understand why most players ignore miniguns and explosives. I usually have a lot of success with them.

I've never had much success with miniguns beyond occasional 50v50 base destruction, but I'll never, ever pass up C4 unless I'm already holding an RPG. Usually hoover up all the ignored grenades/clingers too until I inevitably find an orphaned bundle of C4. I'm still deeply ambivalent about the grenade launcher though. I can never seem to find a good time to use it outside of mortar shelling the occasional fort.

objectively bad posted:

That's not even close to an argument I made. In the event where I'll barely have time to line up one FSA shot with a scar, and the guy's minigun is already spooling the minigun is definitely favoured. I got my numbers mixed up earlier and the scar has ever so slightly better bloom, their bloom stats are identical except the scar has 0.60 ADS multiplier while the minigun has 0.65, I thought it was the other way around. That's not enough to overcome the dps difference in a bloom battle.

Better idea, instead of a "bloom battle" stand mostly still and tap three shots into the dude's head while all of his bullets bend around you because he's using a minigun at distance and you're not. I'm also drat near positive that whatever assumption you've made based on the ~numbers~ is hilariously wrong.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Beastie posted:

Motion controls for Switch are so clutch. Saved my rear end once or twice where I normally would have been beaten.

I don’t feel as horribly outmatched against PC players with them. They’re not as good as K&M obviously but still a huge improvement over just using sticks.