Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

tbh i'd also like to know what people are using for widely accepted user certificates.

Comodo reseller with their Unlimited Certificates deal until they gently caress it all up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it sounds like not even g-suite with an administrator, just ad hoc Gmail accounts

:magical:

In sec gently caress waiting to happen: a friend recently started at a big European Telco and got local admin the second week in because IT couldn't be arsed to install their various python and R packages.

Media Bloodbath fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 16, 2018

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Media Bloodbath posted:

:magical:

In sec gently caress waiting to happen: a friend recently started at a big European Telco and got local admin the second week in because IT couldn't be arsed to install their various python and R packages.

my boss keeps asking me about whether we should give all 500+ employees at my company local admin and i keep saying no. "We have anti-virus installed, so why not?" :shepicide:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

my bitter bi rival posted:

my boss keeps asking me about whether we should give all 500+ employees at my company local admin and i keep saying no. "We have anti-virus installed, so why not?" :shepicide:

have you tried mentioning how ruinously expensive it could be if a software audit turns up pirated software on his network

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

have you tried mentioning how ruinously expensive it could be if a software audit turns up pirated software on his network

I havent but its a good one to add to the list of reasons.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

my bitter bi rival posted:

inform him you, personally, will need an extra $5000 per user per month to license the "extra antivirus" that will be compatible with that.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Can you provide some more info, what is ruinous in a case like this? I thought most audits were just a slap on the wrist and you had to purchase the illegal software.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Janitor Prime posted:

Can you provide some more info, what is ruinous in a case like this? I thought most audits were just a slap on the wrist and you had to purchase the illegal software.

They can hit you with penalties, I think up to like 3x the license cost of the pirated software? Obviously it depends on how much gets installed, like one unlicensed copy of Office isn't going to wreck you, but if people start doing stuff like grabbing Adobe apps or Office so they can do a one-off PDF or some poo poo like that, it can add up. god help you if someone goes nuts and installs some kind of CAD software

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

hmm you have to really gently caress up to get a serious fine for common stuff, like a few extra copies of word or server mostly as a way to up your license spend. oracle is the master of this because there’s no way to stay in compliance with oracle and its a great stick to push larrys latest yacht wax (oracle cloud lol)

but anecdotally expensive software with small install base and a phone home will light you up

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/miggsboson/status/1018558604255813634

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

what movie was that where the kid started a fire with pop sticks and glue to get sent to hte principal's office so he could see the passwords?

pretend i posted taht

e: well that was a wopr of a thing to forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UqEg1cFqig

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PCjr sidecar posted:

hmm you have to really gently caress up to get a serious fine for common stuff, like a few extra copies of word or server mostly as a way to up your license spend. oracle is the master of this because there’s no way to stay in compliance with oracle and its a great stick to push larrys latest yacht wax (oracle cloud lol)

but anecdotally expensive software with small install base and a phone home will light you up

lol last place i worked at was habitually pirating poo poo before i got there, to the point where an install base of like 150 workstations and some servers had the company exposed to like a million dollars' worth of liability

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

lol last place i worked at was habitually pirating poo poo before i got there, to the point where an install base of like 150 workstations and some servers had the company exposed to like a million dollars' worth of liability

I would have reported it and taken the cash.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

HxD looks like it just got a version-bump update today https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/changelog.php

is there any way to tell if this is legit? the guy doesn't sign his executables

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ratbert90 posted:

I would have reported it and taken the cash.

lol when i got there, they were in the middle of cleaning that poo poo up because one of the former CJs ratted them out (after he personally helped to install so much of that pirated software lmbo)

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

HxD looks like it just got a version-bump update today https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/changelog.php

is there any way to tell if this is legit? the guy doesn't sign his executables

it's legit, 2.0 was in beta for a while. now it's just stable

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/KaraBunting/status/1018589716646711301

https://twitter.com/KaraBunting/status/1018623445595250688

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://redshell.io/

its these guys. some companies pretended it was added by accident (like zenimax) lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
a lot of people use redshell.io to track where their games sell well and use that as an excuse, but i won't buy for a second they didn't know redshell just sells all their data to anyone who'll pay for it

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
that classic adage about how if you pay for a product you're still the product

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Truga posted:

a lot of people use redshell.io to track where their games sell well and use that as an excuse, but i won't buy for a second they didn't know redshell just sells all their data to anyone who'll pay for it

i mean, let's just being at "yes we accidentally integrated this third party networked solution into our complex and performance-sensitive software product"

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

that classic adage about how if you pay for a product you're still the product

more like ad-age

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

if you're not paying for the product you are the product

if you pay for the product you're still the product

if you pay for a product that specifically advertises you not being the product you're still probably the product

if you have nothing to do with a product and actively avoid it you're still the product because your mom signed up and uploaded a picture of you once

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

more like ad-age

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

am i alone in not giving a gently caress who knows what games i play

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

flakeloaf posted:

yes. gently caress ad companies.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i don't give a poo poo either, but "i don't have anything to hide because i'm not a criminal" argument is dumb af

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

if you're not paying for the product you are the product

if you pay for the product you're still the product

if you pay for a product that specifically advertises you not being the product you're still probably the product

if you have nothing to do with a product and actively avoid it you're still the product because your mom signed up and uploaded a picture of you once

this is so awfully true

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it's one thing to collect what game you play, it's another to collect photos, phone numbers, address, location, mother's name, dna, bone marrow, and that tin box where i keep the teeth i lost when i was a kid (one of them i lost when chewing a piece of toffee at my grandma's house)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
on facebook i 'liked' a bunch of stuff related to being gay but also a bunch of islamic jihad-related stuff and whatever ads are targeted me there seem very confused.

a friend of mine went and 'liked' solely monster-truck related things and all he gets for ads are vocational schools.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

on facebook i 'liked' a bunch of stuff related to being gay but also a bunch of islamic jihad-related stuff and whatever ads are targeted me there seem very confused.

a friend of mine went and 'liked' solely monster-truck related things and all he gets for ads are vocational schools.

yea sometimes i just go on and like a bunch of disparate crap

i also added a bunch of jobs & schools some time ago

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

facebooks internal algorithms branded 65 thousand russian users as traitors of motherland

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

flakeloaf posted:

Why doesn't everyone care exactly the same amount about exactly the same things as I do? :smug:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

facebooks internal algorithms branded 65 thousand russian users as traitors of motherland

russians are also perpetually drunk on vodka and dumb as hell

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Why doesn't everyone care exactly the same amount about exactly the same things as I do? :smug:

oh, go on live tv; you know what i meant

Truga posted:

i don't give a poo poo either, but "i don't have anything to hide because i'm not a criminal" argument is dumb af
:agreed:

like, why do they need photos? how do they even get photos? do they mean profile pics?

also what happens when well-liked responsible trust haver gets bought out by lucky dragon advertise company llc?>

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what redshell does is it fingerprints your computer by taking a list of your installed fonts, screen resolution and a few other things like that, and doing all this supposedly makes it super easy to link your profile to your other online personas

getting photos from your fakebook or twatter account after that seems like it wouldn't be much of a stretch for people already buying data from social media

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Truga posted:

what redshell does is it fingerprints your computer by taking a list of your installed fonts, screen resolution and a few other things like that, and doing all this supposedly makes it super easy to link your profile to your other online personas

hasn't that been going on for a while though? i remember reading about browsers doing that many moons ago

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the one different thing redshell can probably do is link your steam id to the rest of the data, but idk how much more valuable that is for marketing.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

the one different thing redshell can probably do is link your steam id to the rest of the data, but idk how much more valuable that is for marketing.

they're gonna know you're in that ycs tf2 group boss n----

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I imagine being able to say "this person viewed this ad for your game and then bought and is now playing it" is pretty useful.

• Locked thread