Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
my favorite robin thing was when she loved that shittily drawn dragon that died climbing up zou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Manatee Cannon posted:

attack name translations are hit or miss tbh. like I prefer solar flare to taiyo-ken in dbz, but who in their right mind translates kaioken to king kai fist?

Worst missed opportunity in all of anime, because he's not just any Kai. He's the Kai from North Galaxy.

It's the Fist of the North Kai.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

And Luffy is Krillin. The guy who plays Franky is also a pretty well known actor in Japan (though I mostly recognize him as Ninjaman from Kakuranger and Doctor Z from Akibaranger).

Yep! Kazuki Yao is the voice of Franky and he did a few Super Sentai roles. Oda wrote the role of Franky with him in mind because of how much he loved his voice performance as Mr. 2 Bon Clay and Jango.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
comrade is the objectively correct translation for nakama in one piece because of the canon work One Class

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It's also objectively correct 'cause it... actually means the same thing.

Comrade: "a companion who shares one's activities or is a fellow member of an organization."
Nakama: "a companion, a peer"

Like, it's the same drat thing. It's a powerful word in One Piece not because it's a special word, but because it's a super thematically relevant concept- people being brought together by going on the same journey/being part of the same group. That's what "comrade" means!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Companion: "a bro"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Terper posted:

Companion: "a bro"

I couldn't save... a single bro!

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
The only acceptable translation is "matey".

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Baron La Croix posted:

The only acceptable translation is "matey".

Finally, someone gets it

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Jinbei, you're my matey now. Return safe.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
We could use the French "ami", which is very similar to umi (means sea), or Russian based "droogs".

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 18, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mo' nami, mon ami

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

We could use the French "ami", which is very similar to umi (means sea), or Russian based "droogs".

Imu refers to the gorosei as his ima.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
translate Imu as Matey

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Imu's big hat is powerful enough to make the whole world his matey.

I must say, while I'm overall very happy that I happened to time reading through One Piece so that I caught up right when Reverie was wrapping up, the feeling of "oh no now I have to wait" coupled with Imu and the Big Hat has hit me pretty hard.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Since we're not actually seeing the rest of Reverie I have a bad feeling that the Strawhats are gonna come out of the other end of Wano to some really bad news.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Vivi will have taken care of poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Translate imu as logan

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

any chance luffy dies within the next 5 chapters?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Lpzie posted:

any chance luffy dies within the next 5 chapters?
STRAWHAT LUFFY IS THE MAN WHO WILL BECOME THE PIRATE KING!!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Luffy will die and the baboon will lead the Straw Hats to Raftel.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Cat Machine posted:

STRAWHAT LUFFY IS THE MAN WHO WILL BECOME THE PIRATE KING!!

Next Episode: Strawhat Luffy Dies In Magma!

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
There will be a break next week according to recent spoilers.

But apparently the next chapter is gonna be really good?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Scratchman Apoo posted:

But apparently the next chapter is gonna be really good?

we already knew this tho

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dang, I was hoping next chapter would be bad for a change

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

when was the last bad chapter of onepiece

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
equivalent exchange demands that for every good chapter of one piece there must be a bad episode of one piece

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Kild posted:

That's why it would be a change.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

That's why it would be a change.

so your answer is never then?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kild posted:

Birdcage

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

some of the later filler chapters of whole cake were eh. but it's been a while

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kild posted:

What was the last chapter of Dressrosa?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

D: Oda-sensei, hello. In regards to Sanji, I feel that he looks like Leonardo DiCaprio-san from the western movie, "Romeo and Juliet". My friends say I'm dead wrong. Is Sanji's appearance based on someone in particular?? P.N. Noel

O: People used to guess DiCaprio a lot, in the past. But the truth is that Sanji has a much more unusual model. I might not go as far as to say "model", but I hoped to have a bit of this person's vibes come through. It's Steve Buscemi, as he appeared in the movie "Reservoir Dogs". Cool, huh? Someone at Bandai was the only one to guess correctly, a while back.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I will now exclusively read Sanji's lines in his voice

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Kild posted:

When the Yeti Cool Brothers got beat down incredibly fast and didnt live up to thier build up and extremely good name

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Year of Steve Buscemi

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Meme Emulator posted:

When the Yeti Cool Brothers got beat down incredibly fast and didnt live up to thier build up and extremely good name

Can't wait to meet Yeti Cool Dad and hear the tragic story of why the world government stole his hat and why his cool sons had to turn to evil to support him.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

oddium posted:

D: Oda-sensei, hello. In regards to Sanji, I feel that he looks like Leonardo DiCaprio-san from the western movie, "Romeo and Juliet". My friends say I'm dead wrong. Is Sanji's appearance based on someone in particular?? P.N. Noel

O: People used to guess DiCaprio a lot, in the past. But the truth is that Sanji has a much more unusual model. I might not go as far as to say "model", but I hoped to have a bit of this person's vibes come through. It's Steve Buscemi, as he appeared in the movie "Reservoir Dogs". Cool, huh? Someone at Bandai was the only one to guess correctly, a while back.

lmfao

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Well my re-read journey is over or just about. just getting to the start of whole cake...senor pink i hope we see him again sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
So, how the hell has no one asked where the hell Chopper and Brooke has gone to yet? I guess Brooke can run on water or whatever but Chopper didn't seem to get off the Sunny as far as I can tell and he can't swim.