Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strict Liability
Jun 9, 2014

Look Sir Droids posted:

Matt Goetz, hope hope hope

Likely not Gaetz, back then he was just a State House rep running for a contested congressional seat. Also likely not DeSantis or Jeb.

More possible is Rick Scott, who like Trump is a mega-rich "businessman" who ran as an outsider for Florida governor. Before that, Scott was the CEO of a massive hospital chain; in that role he invoked the 5th amendment 70+ times during a deposition in a civil case involving alleged medicaid/medicare fraud... Scott is now running for a hotly contested US Senate seat this fall and is reportedly close to Trump.

Might be fun to watch if Scott is the un-named Florida politician in the indictment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Gaetz actually ran against one of my friends. I don't believe it was even close. My friend's policies were far too bluedog and he genuinely thought he could win over anti-trump republicans in a gerrymandered as gently caress district.

Strict Liability
Jun 9, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

Gaetz actually ran against one of my friends. I don't believe it was even close. My friend's policies were far too bluedog and he genuinely thought he could win over anti-trump republicans in a gerrymandered as gently caress district.

Was your friend Greg Evers? He was a good dude, god rest his soul. And he never had a chance running against Gaetz. Regardless of where he is politically, Gaetz knows what to say to the Red base. Keep an eye on him; I predict he will likely run state-wide in Florida in the coming future.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Strict Liability posted:

Was your friend Greg Evers? He was a good dude, god rest his soul. And he never had a chance running against Gaetz. Regardless of where he is politically, Gaetz knows what to say to the Red base. Keep an eye on him; I predict he will likely run state-wide in Florida in the coming future.

No, I know the democrat he beat in the general. Gaetz got 69% of the vote. It wasn't close, sadly. He definitely wasn't running with an AOC type platform and was definitely a :decorum:crat. Not really a shock. He's doing alright, though. Working on a campaign in NC and they look to flip the seat.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Can I be legally asked to leave public parks? I have been going to women's softball games for the last few months. These are at public parks. Last night I was sitting in the bleachers and one of the coaches came over and asked me who I was there to see. I said "I just love softball" he asked me to leave and not come back. Is this legal? it was in public.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Yeah I was sitting there trying to guess the missing fact.
1. He's creepily stalking one of the players who has a protective order against him.
2. He's expressing his love of softball and the outdoors by sitting in the bleachers naked.
3. The "women"'s softball is actually little league and his parole officer already told him not to be within 1000 feet of kids.
4. "Softball" is slang for cocaine and the "coach" was a rival drug dealer.
5. The coach would have been fine with him staying if he just could have explained why was he covered in so much blood?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

When I was in law school, me and a couple buddies thought it would be funny to go to women's basketball games and sit behind the visitors bench to hit on the visiting team players during the game. Then we realized that was some real depressing poo poo.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Legal vs. Not-creepy shouldn't be a distinction lawyers have to make.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

My client fumbling around with his pants open while staring at teenagers swimming in a pond isn't Sex Assault IV, he was wiping ointment on a rash.

edit: I love it when I see one of you folks posting in GBS

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 14, 2018

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Dude's going to get beat up by the coaches which is the actual fetish he's fulfilling here

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I'm about to do an advisory thing on an actual real public international law that isn't ECHR what the hell is going on

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

He’s trolling, right?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Tokelau All Star posted:

My client fumbling around with his pants open while staring at teenagers swimming in a pond isn't Sex Assault IV, he was wiping ointment on a rash.

Can’t remember where I saw it, but I remember one guy offering a defense that he was super surprised to see his teenage niece walk up to him naked, thereby causing him to trip, fall forward, and sneeze on her, which is why his DNA was on her genitals.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/scuttling/status/1015280584606801920?s=20

Is there anything in the Louisiana rules that says a dog can't be a lawyer?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

sullat posted:

Well shouldn't questioning have stopped until they gave him a lawyer dog?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

sullat posted:

Louisiana law is technically based off of Napoleonic code instead of common law. Given what flies for ethics in Louisiana, it might be possible.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
tbh any law that's based on Napoleonic code or, even worse, is the Napoleonic code, shouldn't even be considered law

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Code of Hammurabi is the best IMO, op

Also Allez les Bleus

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sullat posted:

quote:

Demesme told the detectives:

“This is how I feel, if y’all think I did it, I know that I didn’t do it so why don’t you just give me a lawyer dog ’cause this is not what’s up.” The punctuation, arguably critical to Demesme’s use of the sobriquet “dog,” was provided by the Orleans Parish District Attorney’s office in a brief, and then adopted by Louisiana Associate Supreme Court Justice Scott J. Crichton.

Louisiana Associate Supreme Court Justice Scott J. Crichton wrote that a suspect asking police to “give me a lawyer dog” was not invoking his right to counsel. (Louisiana Supreme Court)
The public defender for Orleans Parish, Derwyn D. Bunton, took on Demesme’s case and filed a motion to suppress Demesme’s statement. In a court brief, Bunton noted that police are legally bound to stop questioning anyone who asks for a lawyer. “Under increased interrogation pressure,” Bunton wrote, “Mr. Demesme invokes his right to an attorney, stating with emotion and frustration, ‘Just give me a lawyer.'” The police did not stop their questioning, Bunton argued, “when Mr. Demesme unequivocally and unambiguously asserted his right to counsel.”

Orleans Parish Assistant District Attorney Kyle Daly responded in his brief that Demesme’s “reference to a lawyer did not constitute an unambiguous invocation of his right to counsel, because the defendant communicated that whether he actually wanted a lawyer was dependent on the subjective beliefs of the officers.” Daly added, “A reasonable officer under the circumstances would have understood, as [the detectives] did, that the defendant only might be invoking his right to counsel.”

Wow, can't imagine why people think DAs are scum.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Wait, wasn't this already laughed at itt?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Alexeythegreat posted:

Wait, wasn't this already laughed at itt?

Yeah it's extremely img timeline

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
A court adopted a bad faith argument by the State to make sure a minority was stripped of his rights? I’m shocked, shocked I tell you! :monocle:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

GamingHyena posted:

A court adopted a bad faith argument by the State to make sure a minority was stripped of his rights? I’m shocked, shocked I tell you! :monocle:

A new low for our proud country to be sure.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also Allez les Bleus

Literally the only flaw was outlawing sorcery.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SlothBear posted:

Literally the only flaw was outlawing sorcery.

If you make magic use illegal, only criminals can cast Magic Missile.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

homullus posted:

If you make magic use illegal, only criminals can cast Magic Missile.

The darkness was asking for it! Did you see how it was dressed?!?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Vox Nihili posted:

Wow, can't imagine why people think DAs are scum.

which is loving stupid because, apart from the rights violation... I don't want people seeing how far they can push the envelope. I want them doing it clearly correctly, so I don't have to deal with suppression motion bullshit arguing that a lawyer dog is not a lawyer (yeah, not the argument here really, but whatever). If you "can't tell if he's invoking or not".... he's probably invoking.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Definitely didn’t have to look it up to know Louisiana wouldn’t have a “stop and clarify” rule.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also Allez les Bleus

The very strict product liability laws were impressive.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Ban the state imo

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Burn the state imo

Fixed it for you

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

What's everyone's record on deliberation?

I just had a jury come back with a 12-0 defense verdict after 8 minutes and 8 seconds. Shattered my firm's previous record.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Has anyone sought professional help to deal with burn-out? I'm in a job that should be the best job for me, (no commute, relatively low stress, flexible, reasonable hours) but I'm miserable. I'm overwhelmed by my totally reasonable workload, and every time I enter the office I am paralyzed by a mix of anxiety and malaise. I don't know if this is linked to being a lawyer, being in this area of law, being in this job, or if I'm just a broken person who is bad at work. I don't know if I need a therapist or a career coach or what. I spoke to one career coach who charged $10,000! I suppose if that guaranteed I wouldn't be a ball of sadness for 8+ hours a day, it might be worth it, but I doubt there is any such guarantee.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yes. Go see someone about your depression. It's a motherfucker and won't get better until you talk to someone.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 18, 2018

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

At the very least, you at the very least need a vacation.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

At the very least, you need a vacation.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Staryberry posted:

Has anyone sought professional help to deal with burn-out? I'm in a job that should be the best job for me, (no commute, relatively low stress, flexible, reasonable hours) but I'm miserable. I'm overwhelmed by my totally reasonable workload, and every time I enter the office I am paralyzed by a mix of anxiety and malaise. I don't know if this is linked to being a lawyer, being in this area of law, being in this job, or if I'm just a broken person who is bad at work. I don't know if I need a therapist or a career coach or what. I spoke to one career coach who charged $10,000! I suppose if that guaranteed I wouldn't be a ball of sadness for 8+ hours a day, it might be worth it, but I doubt there is any such guarantee.

That sounds like an anxiety disorder and/or depression which is a common and treatable medical issue. Talk to your doctor and get a therapist/psychiatrist referral.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Staryberry posted:

Most lawyers who do seek help won't tell you but I'll go ahead and admit it. I had the exact same feelings you seem to be having several months ago. Every night I just ran over all my problems that day and could barely sleep. Every day I crawled out of bed every day feeling like I'd do almost anything just to avoid another day at the office (which of course made me feel like a failure). Eventually, I sought counseling and (unsurprisingly) had anxiety and depression. Fortunately, the counseling helped to the point I didn't need a prescription to right the ship. Now I go every few months just to check in. I had almost forgotten what it felt like to feel "normal."

It definitely wasn't easy for me to go. Get a referral but make sure the therapist is someone who clicks with you and seems like they understand your problems. My counselor sees mostly professionals and I found him because every attorney in my office is currently in therapy.

In short, what you are feeling is common but you don't have to feel this way. When you look back getting help will be the best decision you make all year.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Therapy and meds work for me.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What's everyone's record on deliberation?

I just had a jury come back with a 12-0 defense verdict after 8 minutes and 8 seconds. Shattered my firm's previous record.

4 minutes on not guilty on a DUI many years ago - the majority of which was a bathroom break for the jurors apparently. It should never have gone to trial. My client was obviously never driving, half the investigating officers testified to that fact. The jurors went back looked at each other, all agreed not guilty instantly and that was it.

That was more about having an absolutely brain-dead prosecutor than anything so special I did though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I started seeing a therapist a couple months ago, but I think I need to search for a new one. Her general advice so far has been that I did well in law school, so I just needed to find the way to motivate myself to do well now. If “nut-up” was going to work, it would have worked years ago.

Any advice on finding someone? My insurance’s website/psychology today seems like such a crap shoot.