Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Why not simplify & miniaturise how power works IRL? Power station -> power lines -> residential substation, buildings within X radius have power automagically through utility pipework. Land around the lines has low value, but that's OK just turn it into industrial parks or favelas or something.

*kaboom* Uh-oh, looks like one of your Cims has been fried again! *neighbourhood is on fire*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KryOYburlFI

spincube fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

spincube posted:

Why not simplify & miniaturise how power works IRL? Power station -> power lines -> residential substation, buildings within X radius have power automagically through utility pipework. Land around the lines has low value, but that's OK just turn it into industrial parks or favelas or something.

*kaboom* Uh-oh, looks like one of your Cims has been fried again! *neighbourhood is on fire*

See, that would be interesting. I'd love to mess with a simplified voltage system and place substations, just give me lots of options from big fields of equipment to tiny underground vaults. The same with water. Make the water cycle more interesting, have water quality more variable beyond "100% pure and healthy" and *ambulance sirens*. Water scarcity is big in the news for cities, why not have that as a pressure in the game? There's so many interesting mechanics they've dumbed down to the point that there's no actual gameplay or choices, just busywork. Skylines as a game is actually pretty dire, skylines as a traffic engine and mod platform is pretty good.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man, for such a mod friendly game CO sort of poo poo the bed when it comes to how the game reacts to missing assets. I did a cull of some assets I thought I hadn't used, and generally removing things like props or growables you have used just removes them from the game. Not so with any "network". Had some thin sidewalk asset which was way too big in file size for what is was and wasn't working great. I don't think I ever used it on the map beyond one spot and deleted it. Removed the asset, and now the save won't load. Get that pure blue sky screen after a load :(

Was absolutely terrified the save was hosed, but re-enabling the stupid sidewalk asset let the city load again.

Who designed this system?? Any missing assets encountered on loading a save should just delete that asset. Delete that custom bridge you downloaded? Great, your highway is hosed up because the bridge is missing but you can at least load the save. CO's made it way too easy to brick a save via assets.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Man, for such a mod friendly game CO sort of poo poo the bed when it comes to how the game reacts to missing assets. I did a cull of some assets I thought I hadn't used, and generally removing things like props or growables you have used just removes them from the game. Not so with any "network". Had some thin sidewalk asset which was way too big in file size for what is was and wasn't working great. I don't think I ever used it on the map beyond one spot and deleted it. Removed the asset, and now the save won't load. Get that pure blue sky screen after a load :(

Was absolutely terrified the save was hosed, but re-enabling the stupid sidewalk asset let the city load again.

Who designed this system?? Any missing assets encountered on loading a save should just delete that asset. Delete that custom bridge you downloaded? Great, your highway is hosed up because the bridge is missing but you can at least load the save. CO's made it way too easy to brick a save via assets.

You'd think that, but I work for a company that can't even put a try-catch into a line of java for when it takes more than one attempt to talk to the server so... :shrug:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

spincube posted:

For whatever reason they don't want to add any depth to the simulation. Ostensibly it's because they want to keep the game accessible, despite the fact that the traffic already wrecks people and multiple difficulty settings are a decades old concept.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

My airport just slowly stopped functioning and I cant work out why. It had loads of planes landing to start, then over time it just started to slow down and down and down and now I can't remember the last time I saw a plane land.

I had this same issue I think its due to the Traffic president mod? I disabled it and cims started to use the airport again. Also check your public transport it caused mine to inch to 0.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Traffic manager is fixed too FYI for anyone who disabled it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pipes could be about as interesting as power if CO really cared, I think. Adding some complexity so that you were managing water usage, runoff, having to account for gravity, filtration, etc. would make it way less mindless busywork.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hey I've seen some youtubers getting a smaller meters count when laying networks along with the standard "units" count. Is this a special mod or some option? I'd love to get an exact meters measurement when laying things. Sure I can multiply by 8 but.. math. It must be an option in PE, I'm just too dumb to find it.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Hey I've seen some youtubers getting a smaller meters count when laying networks along with the standard "units" count. Is this a special mod or some option? I'd love to get an exact meters measurement when laying things. Sure I can multiply by 8 but.. math. It must be an option in PE, I'm just too dumb to find it.

Can't be arsed to open up the game but what about holding shift?

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I think I'd really love a game like Planet Coaster/Cities Skylines where you manage a nature reserve. The only buildings you could plop would be things like hunting cabins, fishing shacks, campgrounds, fire watchtowers etc, and the terrain was fully customisable similar to how Planet Coaster is. The map would just be a blank canvas to make waterfalls, caves, rivers, thermal areas or whatever else you felt like creating.

On the management side you'd have to monitor the level of tourists to help prevent degradation of the park, control hunting seasons, manage animal populations/migrations and welfare, keep the park interesting for visitors, conduct search and rescue tasks, etc.

It'd be a change of pace from yet another sim city for sure. Does something like this already exist?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SimIsle was a bit like that.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Games of that nature aren't really my cup of tea but if I had to think of something it would be either SimPark or SimSafari. Or to a much lesser extent you'd be looking at SimIsle or SimEarth. Nothing that really deals with building/laying out your own park though.

Those are really the only things that come close to what you're describing. Anything more recent tends to deal with managing a zoo or some fantasy land (like Jurassic Park).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

donoteat posted:

i dunno if i went too far in this but here we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e-vfEif9LI

come for the cool building stuff, stay for the praxis :hai:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Anything more recent tends to deal with managing a zoo or some fantasy land (like Jurassic Park).

What Fall Dog described sounds literally like the new Jurassic World Evolution game though, sans map editing.

Just instead of giraffes, you have parasaurolophuses.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

SimIsle was a bit like that.

The UFO level was always the best, if insanely easy.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Twlight posted:

I had this same issue I think its due to the Traffic president mod? I disabled it and cims started to use the airport again. Also check your public transport it caused mine to inch to 0.

I'd love to disable that but its literally the only reason my junctions function right now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

serious gaylord posted:

I'd love to disable that but its literally the only reason my junctions function right now.
Are you having other issues with the mod since it's been fixed?

Man, something finally hit me and I've lost all interest in continuing the city I've been passionately plopping for the last week or two. It was my first city back in a long time and now I just want to start over and do a better job. That seems to be the thing with all these amazing hyper-detailing youtubers who often get about 70% done then just announce they're done with the project and starting something new. The burnout on detailing is real. Those guys are also hitting the prop limit often, which is close to a million I think. Like, I'm all for details but some of them will go totally nuts and place little garbage piles made up of 9 other props they've put together behind 200 industrial buildings, then put a row of nearly invisible little curbs or gutters along kilometers of roads but the prop is only 2m long so they need 10,000 of them, then placing a few hundred thousands decals over every surface, then hide half their detailing from sight after carefully hand placing a half million bushes and trees.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 18, 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Are you having other issues with the mod since it's been fixed?

Man, something finally hit me and I've lost all interest in continuing the city I've been passionately plopping for the last week or two. It was my first city back in a long time and now I just want to start over and do a better job. That seems to be the thing with all these amazing hyper-detailing youtubers who often get about 70% done then just announce they're done with the project and starting something new. The burnout on detailing is real. Those guys are also hitting the prop limit often, which is close to a million I think. Like, I'm all for details but some of them will go totally nuts and place little garbage piles made up of 9 other props they've put together behind 200 industrial buildings, then put a row of nearly invisible little curbs or gutters along kilometers of roads but the prop is only 2m long so they need 10,000 of them, then placing a few hundred thousands decals over every surface, then hide half their detailing from sight after carefully hand placing a half million bushes and trees.

Yeah, it's a bit nuts, even though the prop limit is only around 64k. The recent explosion of network-based props - curbs, fences, lines, the like - certainly helps a lot on that front. Combine that with the trick of turning prop groupings into buildings and you can really reduce the number of props you use.

On the detail burnout, one thing that helps is to make multiple passes over an area focused on a specific kind of detail and not let yourself get sucked into overdetailing. If you don't need to place a cluster of 64 individual grass tufts to make a playground look plausible, don't. I usually place buildings, then fences and other physical barriers, then do objects - dumpsters, cars, etc. - and foliage, then decals and lines. You really almost have to do your detailing from the top down or you end up with a hundred decals you'll never see because of the trees in the way.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

What Fall Dog described sounds literally like the new Jurassic World Evolution game though, sans map editing.

Just instead of giraffes, you have parasaurolophuses.

Nah not really. Jurassic World is pretty empty and really restrictive on what you can and can't do. Everything looks ultra generic and there's zero customisation. The radiant quests that the three park departments give are also stupid and make no sense. I do like that you can zoom around in the jeep and fly a helicopter though.

I meant more literally that you just carve up a whatever x whater km2 chunk of land to make a national park and put in hiking trails, cave tours, boat rides, etc and then design whatever buildings to facilitate the activities. And having a volcano erupt and melt it all.

I dunno, I just want to be able to make hidden moonshiners, mountain hillbillies and design pretty waterfalls and caves and stuff.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

dragonshardz posted:

Yeah, it's a bit nuts, even though the prop limit is only around 64k. The recent explosion of network-based props - curbs, fences, lines, the like - certainly helps a lot on that front. Combine that with the trick of turning prop groupings into buildings and you can really reduce the number of props you use.

On the detail burnout, one thing that helps is to make multiple passes over an area focused on a specific kind of detail and not let yourself get sucked into overdetailing. If you don't need to place a cluster of 64 individual grass tufts to make a playground look plausible, don't. I usually place buildings, then fences and other physical barriers, then do objects - dumpsters, cars, etc. - and foliage, then decals and lines. You really almost have to do your detailing from the top down or you end up with a hundred decals you'll never see because of the trees in the way.

I tend to detail fairly lightly as otherwise you'd be spending 20 hours just on one neighbourhood, which I guess is some peoples cup of tea but I like to get things built which is why I still use zoning for a lot of my stuff and only hand place the really important bits.

Also a lot of the props are invisible unless you zoom right in so sometimes they're just not needed out of those key areas.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I enjoy C:S quite a bit as a city designer, but if I'm interested in a city builder, is SimCity4 still best?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Minenfeld! posted:

I enjoy C:S quite a bit as a city designer, but if I'm interested in a city builder, is SimCity4 still best?

I'm not sure how you're defining the difference between a builder and a designer?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
sharing this before and after shot of a major downtown intersection in my latest big city

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not sure how you're defining the difference between a builder and a designer?

Simulation I think would be the better term.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
SimCity 4 and Cities:Skylines are still the only contenders for best [whatever criteria you have in mind] city building game, yes. EA's SimShitty sucks and SimCity 3000 is still fun (I am probably the only person left alive who still regularly plays it) but old enough to feel primitive (and a huge pain in the rear end to play because you have to manually switch to 16 color mode whenever you want to play it).

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 20, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm making a new map and I want some dry seasonal river-beds. I go to grab the "sand" texture thinking it will more or less match the "shore" texture in the temperate theme. How wrong I was. Instead of the nice grayish dirty sand that the game generates for shores and active rivers, I'm presented with a neon yellow tropical sand. I don't even know if I'd call it sand, it looks more like a cartoon toxic waste spill. I'm also realizing I'd love to replace the ore, fertile, and oil textures with some things that blend together better and are more useful for painting terrain than generating resources.

I've seen people using map themes or what ever, but I've never tried a map theme. Can I apply one to a map in progress? Can I pick and choose textures to assemble my own? Is there a nice pack out there already where all the sands and dirts blend and complement each other and the ground resources are better suited to painting farm fields?

Also I've seen some nice map themes on the workshop but the file sizes are huge. Do I need to worry about this? Loading screen mod is already in the red, but if these textures are replacing the defaults then that 120 megs file size is probably going in and replacing 90 megs of vanilla content? Or will the game load both and my ram will finally explode?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 20, 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Can I apply one to a map in progress? Can I pick and choose textures to assemble my own? Is there a nice pack out there already where all the sands and dirts blend and complement each other and the ground resources are better suited to painting farm fields?

Also I've seen some nice map themes on the workshop but the file sizes are huge. Do I need to worry about this? Loading screen mod is already in the red, but if these textures are replacing the defaults then that 120 megs file size is probably going in and replacing 90 megs of vanilla content? Or will the game load both and my ram will finally explode?

In order: This might be possible with a mod called Environment Changer; at the very least, it will allow you to change the map theme when you start a new game with it. Yes, but only with a Mod called Theme Mixer; I haven't figured out a way to extract the pieces of existing map themes to mash them up into a new theme in the default theme editor. Saving custom themes is a feature that is planned for Theme Mixer but when and if it'll be implemented is anyone's guess. Most of the map themes on the workshop are pretty good, but it depends on what kind of aesthetic you're looking for. I can drop recommendations in here if you want.

As far as I am aware, the game loads only the textures for the theme you are using and does not load textures you are not using, that said, I could very well be wrong.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Twlight posted:

I had to unsubscribe and then resubscribe to the new version but this did fix everything. Thanks for the shoutout!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

turn off the TV posted:

For whatever reason they don't want to add any depth to the simulation. Ostensibly it's because they want to keep the game accessible, despite the fact that the traffic already wrecks people and multiple difficulty settings are a decades old concept.

God this reminded me of when this game first came out and a traffic engineer had to teach everyone real-world traffic management principles in order to play the game properly.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
shorter episode today, but expect a really excellent video on urban highways on monday which is what really burnt me out this week...

(that and not being able to afford food, but whatever)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_FU22yPyRE

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
How much memory is recommended for this game if you have a very large mod pool?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tai posted:

How much memory is recommended for this game if you have a very large mod pool?

I used to get by on 16gb (which will allow you about 12gb of mods) but this year I've been finding it just a pinch too low as loading screen mod kept showing me in the red (ie out of ram, using virtual, bad) and I felt like I was having to be extremely choosy about assets and really upset at how many asset creators refuse to use anything but the biggest HD textures that bloat their assets up to like 10+ mb when they could easily be 2-3mb and look pretty much identical. Finally upgraded to 32gb. An SSD is also a must have for this game. It will mean the difference between a 5+ min load on your save or a 1 min. So I'd really say the absolute minimum for this game if you plan to use more than a peppering of assets would be an SSD and 16gb.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Welp, I'll leave this game a lone then I think. I have 8 GB and I know from SC4 that I'm a mod fiend and looking at some of the youtube stuff people post, I know that's my style of game play.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can run a good few mods with 8G but yeah, this game will just keep eating as much RAM as you throw at it, basically.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
When did the update go through which allowed us to change intersections from stoplights to stop signs? That's really one of the most underrated changes in allowing the construction of a realistic network; you can maintain the road hierarchy and still have all the lesser roads connect to the mains without turbofucking your traffic.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Tai posted:

Welp, I'll leave this game a lone then I think. I have 8 GB and I know from SC4 that I'm a mod fiend and looking at some of the youtube stuff people post, I know that's my style of game play.

I played it with a fair number of mods (434 of them) with 8GB just fine (until my video card died but that wasn't CSL's fault). If you want to go hog wild with thousands of added buildings it probably won't be happy but I wouldn't skip it entirely if you think you might be interested. :shrug:

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
OK I'm actually really happy about how this one turned out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rseaKBPkRPU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I'm really enjoying your series on Franklin, particularly since I'm in the area myself and love history. Quite frankly I'm looking forward to you dealing with a massive passenger station that not only renders north-south travel impossible for a section of the city, but tends to catch fire constantly. (Personally. I much prefer the Reading to the Pennsy anyway)

Anyway, is it actually possible to have a city run properly without highway connections? I kind of want to do something similar in building a region over a period of time rather than instantly starting in 2018. Mainly I want to start in the late 1800s with the main city being fed coal from various towns up north, and with rail travel being the main connection between towns, then going from there. (Similar to how anthracite came down from Schuylkill County to the tidewater port at Port Richmond)

Also, does anyone know if making a functional canal is possible, or will I just have to model it post abandonment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

donoteat posted:

OK I'm actually really happy about how this one turned out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rseaKBPkRPU

As with all your previous videos, this is really good.