Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I want to make a website similar to this Standoff' page. A long-form, story-driven site with moving images and such. Pretty sure that it works off of a template of some sort. What's the name for this type of website layout?

\/ Thanks! That gives me a starting point.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

melon cat posted:

I want to make a website similar to this Standoff' page. A long-form, story-driven site with moving images and such. Pretty sure that it works off of a template of some sort. What's the name for this type of website layout?

The name I've seen most is "Snowfall" - https://www.adweek.com/digital/10-snowfall-like-projects-that-break-out-of-standard-article-templates/ - Might be tough to find templates as snowfall is a common name, but I hope that helps!

---

Lazy Dev question: I have some JSON files that I want to serve and query for a Github Pages project with client-side JS graphing. CouchDB on Zeit Now (or another cheap docker host) seems to be a good lightweight way to do this, right?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Nybble posted:

The name I've seen most is "Snowfall" - https://www.adweek.com/digital/10-snowfall-like-projects-that-break-out-of-standard-article-templates/ - Might be tough to find templates as snowfall is a common name, but I hope that helps!

---

Lazy Dev question: I have some JSON files that I want to serve and query for a Github Pages project with client-side JS graphing. CouchDB on Zeit Now (or another cheap docker host) seems to be a good lightweight way to do this, right?

Why not just load the JSON files directly with AJAX requests? Disclaimer: I know nothing about Github Pages, so maybe there is some technical reason you can't have .json files there.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Yeah, Github pages can load in JSON, but 1) I need to keep the full files private, 2) the files are quite large and just want to return the MapReduce results. I've never used CouchDB (and only just a little bit of MongoDB for that matter) so I'm curious if there are any alternatives that I'm missing when it comes to document databases that would be appropriate when I'm not planning on having any other backend.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Nybble posted:

Yeah, Github pages can load in JSON, but 1) I need to keep the full files private, 2) the files are quite large and just want to return the MapReduce results. I've never used CouchDB (and only just a little bit of MongoDB for that matter) so I'm curious if there are any alternatives that I'm missing when it comes to document databases that would be appropriate when I'm not planning on having any other backend.

Ah, gotcha. Check out Firebase. Their free tier should give you all you need, and you don't have to spin anything up.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:

melon cat posted:

\/ Thanks! That gives me a starting point.

ABC has done a similar thing with the Thai cave rescue and its' awesome.

Speaking of awesome design, I'm self-teaching and looking for a good resource on the basics of making websites that don't cause your eyes to bleed.

Googling "Webpage Design" is pulling up more stuff teaching HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, and I have my sources for that information pretty much handled so far.

Does anyone have a good resource on escaping the 90's design habits I still carry to this day, or maybe the keywords I should be googling to get information on "don't look like rear end"?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Do you have interests in doing design work, or are you a developer looking to make prettier things?

If the latter it might be more useful to learn about existing design systems and how you can incorporate them in your workflow. I think from there you'll pick up some things or if the system is good the documentation will teach you why it made the choices it did.

Like if you decide to use Saleforce's lightning system, you will learn a lot of design principles just by going through it's documentation, while learning to implement it and make a good looking app without having to be the designer.

https://lightningdesignsystem.com/guidelines/overview/

If you aren't sure where to find design systems: https://adele.uxpin.com/

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I heard bootstrap is a thing people use to make things looks good, stuff like forms.

I also heard a lot of people say that it don't really deliver on that premise. But it works for me.

Anything is better than "html 1.0". RAW unstyled html.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Bootstrap will certainly elevate the look a little bit. You're not going to learn any design principles from its documentation.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Skill level: Tables are that thing people use if they don't eat at their desk, right?

I'm getting everything installed to make a MEAN stack application, but I'm not sure whether to use Angular or AngularJS. It seems like one of the biggest differences is Typescript vs traditional JS. This is mainly (at least initially) a project to learn the basics off of. It looks like Typescript has options for Object Oriented Design, which I like. But I'm not sure if I'd be handicapping myself in terms of basic web dev knowledge (trying to get from software IT to development) by skipping traditional JS. What should I go with?

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

From what I can recall, Angular can be used with or without TypeScript. You may as well go with Angular. AngularJS is pretty much the 1.0 of Angular. They had a fucky versioning scheme for a while before finally settling on the Angular name.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I've been looking at antidesign and brutalism in web design tendencies recently, and the more I read about it, the more I realize many of these people writing medium articles about it don't really understand what brutalism is. Many just confuse it with anti-design or postmodern design, but I think brutalism would be a lot closer to writing raw unstyled html that is preferably well structured than in using garish colors, considering brutalism comes from the word for "raw concrete".

Goons love brutalism, let's ruin the internet.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Maleh-Vor posted:

I've been looking at antidesign and brutalism in web design tendencies recently, and the more I read about it, the more I realize many of these people writing medium articles about it don't really understand what brutalism is. Many just confuse it with anti-design or postmodern design, but I think brutalism would be a lot closer to writing raw unstyled html that is preferably well structured than in using garish colors, considering brutalism comes from the word for "raw concrete".

Goons love brutalism, let's ruin the internet.

Yeah, if you understand what Brutalism is in architecture beyond than 'concrete with more concrete and maybe a window here or there' then describing a web design antipattern as Brutalism is probably just conflating not liking Brutalist architecture with not liking lovely web design. Maciej Cegłowski probably argues most eloquently for the web design equivalent of Brutalism http://idlewords.com/talks/ (specifically, http://idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm and iirc in http://idlewords.com/talks/web_design_first_100_years.htm)

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

IronDoge posted:

From what I can recall, Angular can be used with or without TypeScript. You may as well go with Angular. AngularJS is pretty much the 1.0 of Angular. They had a fucky versioning scheme for a while before finally settling on the Angular name.
I don't remember any versioning issues before they settled on the name, just the issue that they had to skip version 3 because they wanted to get everything aligned on the same version, and angular-router was already releasing v3.3.0.

WRT Typescript, you're going to use Typescript regardless, but you can dial down the strictness on type-checking until it's not much more than vanilla JS.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah, if you understand what Brutalism is in architecture beyond than 'concrete with more concrete and maybe a window here or there' then describing a web design antipattern as Brutalism is probably just conflating not liking Brutalist architecture with not liking lovely web design. Maciej Cegłowski probably argues most eloquently for the web design equivalent of Brutalism http://idlewords.com/talks/ (specifically, http://idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm and iirc in http://idlewords.com/talks/web_design_first_100_years.htm)

Those were pretty good, and kind of make me feel embarrassed for the designs I just delivered and consistently have to deliver to my employer. I'd probably get fired immediately if I even tried to present a design that looks anything like what he suggests though. Still, I have been working towards making some projects conform better to web standards and be more efficient, even if those increase complexity.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Skill level: Tables are that thing people use if they don't eat at their desk, right?

What should I go with?

I think you should go with Angular, download the Angular cli (tool that lets you easily set up projects, add scaffolds for certain types of objects, test locally & build your app for production) and following along with the tutorial to get started.

I've worked extensively with AngularJS & Angular and strongly prefer Angular - they did a hard break from AngularJS for a reason!

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
Anyone want to give some input, architecture-wise?

I have an Django application where users will import a number of text+image records, between 200-20+k of these records at a time. Each will be processed by about a two dozen or so operations. The operations range from fuzzy text matching, to NLP, OCR and image classification etc. Each operation is independent from another, they can occur in any order.

The only requirements are:
1) Each operation processes a record at least once
2) Post-operation, the user can see the state of that record.

#2 is important because the user will have a dashboard that shows the progress of their records. If the user links 20k records during high load, they'll be left staring at a progress bar or something similar for quite a while.

Typically, I'd send things out to a task queue like Celery + whatever broker/backend choice, but I worry about that high load + high amount of records situation slowing that solution down to a crawl.

At some point, we're going to integrate real-time retrieval of new records as they're generated. Ideally, the solution should incorporate that possibility, too.

I was looking at Kafka or Apache Storm, but having not worked with either, I feel like I could be shoehorning tech where it doesn't belong.

Literally, "look into X" would be enough to help.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. 唯ertrand Russell

salisbury shake posted:

Anyone want to give some input, architecture-wise?

I have an Django application where users will import a number of text+image records, between 200-20+k of these records at a time. Each will be processed by about a two dozen or so operations. The operations range from fuzzy text matching, to NLP, OCR and image classification etc. Each operation is independent from another, they can occur in any order.

The only requirements are:
1) Each operation processes a record at least once
2) Post-operation, the user can see the state of that record.

#2 is important because the user will have a dashboard that shows the progress of their records. If the user links 20k records during high load, they'll be left staring at a progress bar or something similar for quite a while.

Typically, I'd send things out to a task queue like Celery + whatever broker/backend choice, but I worry about that high load + high amount of records situation slowing that solution down to a crawl.

At some point, we're going to integrate real-time retrieval of new records as they're generated. Ideally, the solution should incorporate that possibility, too.

I was looking at Kafka or Apache Storm, but having not worked with either, I feel like I could be shoehorning tech where it doesn't belong.

Literally, "look into X" would be enough to help.

I'm not sure what issues you're imagining you'd encounter, but Celery should have no problem with that if you design your tasks correctly. Of course, that's the case with anything you'd replace Celery with as well. Whatever product you choose, it's going to be all about how you design your tasks/pipeline.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This is gonna sound like a stupid question but does the comment blocks in Laravel in the controllers actually do anything in the long run or can I delete those?
Stuff like
code:
/**
* Display a listing of the resource.
* @return \Illuminate\Http\Response
*/

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

ConanThe3rd posted:

This is gonna sound like a stupid question but does the comment blocks in Laravel in the controllers actually do anything in the long run or can I delete those?
Stuff like
code:
/**
* Display a listing of the resource.
* @return \Illuminate\Http\Response
*/

It's mostly for IDE's to aid in auto-complete or for generating docs. It's safe to delete.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Does anyone have any experience implementing both Google Tag Manager and Analytics in a React app that uses React Router? Do I need both Google products? From what I知 reading, I can easily use GTM to create triggers on window location changes, but the actual user interactions are going to have to be coded into the event handlers with analytics.js

Is that right?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Grump posted:

Does anyone have any experience implementing both Google Tag Manager and Analytics in a React app that uses React Router? Do I need both Google products? From what I知 reading, I can easily use GTM to create triggers on window location changes, but the actual user interactions are going to have to be coded into the event handlers with analytics.js

Is that right?

Yeah but there are libraries to make it work more nicely with react, like this one by the NY Times: https://github.com/NYTimes/react-tracking

I haven't used it but it might be worth looking into.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I need portfolio advice. Harsher or more critical advice, it seems.

In the past I've shared a project I had worked on and it was described by goons as "a decent portfolio project." Unfortunately, it hasn't proven to be good enough to get an interview so I suppose that I either need to make another portfolio project or I need to polish what I already have even more somehow.

Here was the portfolio project I shared and polished according to goon advice in the past: https://wanderrful.github.io/korean-learning-app/

Should I continue to polish this and add more features? Or should I start a second portfolio project of some kind, and if so how do I decide what to make such that it will demonstrate skills that aren't already reflected in the above portfolio project?

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 22, 2018

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think you might need to take a step back on your expectations. There are still some obvious flaws with your project (in development is unnecessary and looks like an error, too much emphasis on Question X of X, there are no directions and the error/success interactions re weird) but I don't think a single project, especially in that scope, is going to land you much.

You might need to do both, tweak that a little and have more variety, but it could also be all the stuff outside of your portfolio.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

The Dave posted:

I think you might need to take a step back on your expectations. There are still some obvious flaws with your project (in development is unnecessary and looks like an error, too much emphasis on Question X of X, there are no directions and the error/success interactions re weird) but I don't think a single project, especially in that scope, is going to land you much.

You might need to do both, tweak that a little and have more variety, but it could also be all the stuff outside of your portfolio.

Thank you for the feedback! What will land you much of anything, though?

Also, about the specific points you made -- I don't see the "question X of X" or the "in development" thing are on there anymore. They used to be, but the thing has since been updated a lot.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Love Stole the Day posted:

Thank you for the feedback! What will land you much of anything, though?

Also, about the specific points you made -- I don't see the "question X of X" or the "in development" thing are on there anymore. They used to be, but the thing has since been updated a lot.

Crazy my browser must have launched a really old cached version of it or something. Quick wins:

- Change the title to Korean Vocabulary Quiz
- Match that in your title tag
- Make the button stand out
- Give the button a nice visual hover/focus state
- Maybe dock the wrong guess to a bottom corner (will need mobile consideration)
- Make the Skip say Skip this one and use a text link instead of a button
- When I hit skip the interaction is really weird and I never get to see what the word was

That's a super quick look at some quick tweaks, but I think you're close to trying to squeeze blood from a stone with that single project.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

The Dave posted:

That's a super quick look at some quick tweaks, but I think you're close to trying to squeeze blood from a stone with that single project.

This is great feedback again, thank you! I will also take the "squeeze blood from a stone" comment as high praise.

What I'm trying to figure out here is how more I can demonstrate value and demonstrate skills relevant to these jobs. I am repeatedly told that if I demonstrate the value and demonstrate the skills, then the interviews will come... but I don't see any interviews coming. So, therefore, I must not be demonstrating value and I must not be demonstrating relevant skills. Right? So what more do I have to do, is what I need to figure out.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

This is great feedback again, thank you! I will also take the "squeeze blood from a stone" comment as high praise.

What I'm trying to figure out here is how more I can demonstrate value and demonstrate skills relevant to these jobs. I am repeatedly told that if I demonstrate the value and demonstrate the skills, then the interviews will come... but I don't see any interviews coming. So, therefore, I must not be demonstrating value and I must not be demonstrating relevant skills. Right? So what more do I have to do, is what I need to figure out.

In my many decades of professional job having, there is one thing I have learned that is demonstrated to be true over and over and over again: It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Lumpy posted:

In my many decades of professional job having, there is one thing I have learned that is demonstrated to be true over and over and over again: It's not what you know, it's who you know.
This is one of those things that I am fully cognizant of, yet have entirely failed to act on. I get out to local Meetups, but sit on my computer rather than "network" as chatting with random people is excessively taxing after a long day at work. I know all I really need to do is introduce myself and ask about what they do and see if things flow from there, but overcoming the initial mental hurdles to take the first step isn't easy.

Starting a new contracting job at a big company next Monday after two years at a small web dev shop. I imagine it's going to be a bit of a culture shock and I'm still skeptical of contract work, but the pay looks right and gives me hands on experience with using React in production. Should be interesting.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So. I知 learning git and I知 backing up my laravel projects. I知 wondering what I can omit from my repositories with gitignore (on the basis that I can run composer to get those files anyway) and, so I知 not doing this every framework I知 using, if there痴 some sort of listing for the default files of framework packages available.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

ConanThe3rd posted:

So. I知 learning git and I知 backing up my laravel projects. I知 wondering what I can omit from my repositories with gitignore (on the basis that I can run composer to get those files anyway) and, so I知 not doing this every framework I知 using, if there痴 some sort of listing for the default files of framework packages available.

I am a newbie myself too, but I believe the entire vendor directory should/could be excluded, has composer will change there whatever is required.

The content of vendor seems to be "server sensitivy" has the content must be different for different versions of PHP. Things from PHP 5.4 will break in PHP 7.1 and things from PHP 7.1 will break in PHP 5.4. The last version of PHPUnit will work with PHP 7.1, but will not work with PHP 7.0.

Because I am a newbie, I don't know the best good practices, that seems to be what you are asking for.

I imagine if you put vendor in git, and two developers have very different versions of PHP in their workstations (why?), problems will arise.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

This is one of those things that I am fully cognizant of, yet have entirely failed to act on. I get out to local Meetups, but sit on my computer rather than "network" as chatting with random people is excessively taxing after a long day at work. I know all I really need to do is introduce myself and ask about what they do and see if things flow from there, but overcoming the initial mental hurdles to take the first step isn't easy.

Starting a new contracting job at a big company next Monday after two years at a small web dev shop. I imagine it's going to be a bit of a culture shock and I'm still skeptical of contract work, but the pay looks right and gives me hands on experience with using React in production. Should be interesting.

Since you're not even getting phoners there could also be things to adjust with your resume or how you approach the application. At past jobs engineering really just used your portfolio to gauge if you had any competency, but cared more about talking to you in person and seeing how you whiteboarded solutions.

Similarly when hiring designers I care way more about everything leading up to the finished product. Do they handle deadlines well, do they work well/collaborate well, how do they handle changes in requirements that happen mid-sprint, how do they balance multiple tickets.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

ConanThe3rd posted:

Typically you would ignore 3rd party stuff that is pulled in through composer/npm and anything that is sensitive information or not directly related to the project. In Laravel this is typically:

- vendor
- node_modules
- .env
- any IDE files
- public css/js if you are using webpack or similar (this will really depend or your workflow and deployment)
- public/storage

Additionally you should make sure the composer.json/composer.lock and the package.json/package-lock.json IS versioned so other devs can match dependencies. This will also allow you to keep track when dependencies are updated (ie when a bug is fixed in another git branch)

Git is not backup; it is version control. While it can be used to backup stuff to remote repos, a proper backup solution should be in place as there will be files that are not under version control but are needed in the course of development.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Anyone have any recommendations for an animation library that works with React that can smoothly change CSS property values on scroll? Like, as you're scrolling down to x height from the top of the screen, and an element ups its opacity smoothly to 1 at x, then starts fading out as you scroll more.

Skrollr can do this and I'll post an example in a bit, but it doesn't want to integrate with React and it's rather old anyhow. There's a skrollr-react package that appears to be totally useless as you can't attach any styles to the components it includes.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

GitHub has a really handy repository of recommended .gitignore files for various languages and frameworks here: https://github.com/github/gitignore

Here are their recommendations for Laravel: https://github.com/github/gitignore/blob/master/Laravel.gitignore

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Let me try asking this a different way: what are some important or relevant skills w.r.t. web development that are not clearly demonstrated by the portfolio project I posted earlier?

(here's the link again for those who don't want to scroll back up: https://wanderrful.github.io/korean-learning-app/)

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Let me try asking this a different way: what are some important or relevant skills w.r.t. web development that are not clearly demonstrated by the portfolio project I posted earlier?

(here's the link again for those who don't want to scroll back up: https://wanderrful.github.io/korean-learning-app/)

No one is going to look at your project beyond a cursory glance.

That has been my experience applying to jobs. Your resume needs to get through a key-word filter, than some HR drone who can't tell java from javascript will ask you a bunch of questions from a sheet. Then if you answer those satisfactorily, you might get to talk about your project. If you're not getting callbacks your issue is exclusively your resume. A new project which lets you add more key-words might be helpful, but the people looking at your project are only going to do so after a phone screen, and if they do its going to be mostly "oh hey, there's a project, cool".

So if your issue is not getting a job, and not having callbacks, don't worry about your project, worry about your resume.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And because of the subject matter (knowing Korean) people are closing your project faster than usual.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. 唯ertrand Russell

TheCog posted:

No one is going to look at your project beyond a cursory glance.

That has been my experience applying to jobs. Your resume needs to get through a key-word filter, than some HR drone who can't tell java from javascript will ask you a bunch of questions from a sheet. Then if you answer those satisfactorily, you might get to talk about your project. If you're not getting callbacks your issue is exclusively your resume. A new project which lets you add more key-words might be helpful, but the people looking at your project are only going to do so after a phone screen, and if they do its going to be mostly "oh hey, there's a project, cool".

So if your issue is not getting a job, and not having callbacks, don't worry about your project, worry about your resume.

The rightest post.

Depending on the hiring organization, the first bajillion filters you have to get through don't care about your project. So, if you're not getting past those filters its not your project that is your bottleneck.

Once you get past those filters, again no one is going to really care about your project but they may click the link to it and spend 10 seconds there.

The person or committee or whatever entity who is going to care the most about your project is the final or close to final yay/nay decision maker...and there's a good chance they're still not going to care a whole lot because no one likes screening new hires.

On the other hand, everyone wants and needs new hires. It's a perverse system we've got here. That's part of the reason networking is an effective way to get jobs because no one involved on either side likes the system or even thinks its particularly effective.

edit: Speaking of, if anyone needs some freelancing backend work done I've got some open time over the next month or so (or any time really depending on your needs)! I've been concentrating on Django lately, but I can do whatever.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

On the other hand, everyone wants and needs new hires. It's a perverse system we've got here. That's part of the reason networking is an effective way to get jobs because no one involved on either side likes the system or even thinks its particularly effective.

Also many companies offer really sweet referral bonuses and employees are thirsty to get it, and referrals bypass a lot of the BS at the beginning of the process.