Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Lower RoF and a smaller magazine is huge. The Tac SMG was flat out overpowered IMO, because the sheer volume of fire it put out combined with its patched improved accuracy and bullet damage meant that you could melt just about anyone by merely holding down mouse1. And despite being touted as the close range shotgun alternative, you could still do more with it at a distance than you'd think thanks to those buffs. Better than non-tap fired silent SMGs, possibly.

Those two stats also fundamentally control how many lucky headshots you can get by madly spraying at someone.

I found this on reddit which seems to show the same RoF and increased damage:

Although comments are saying accuracy is worse, so it's not useful at long range anymore. I dunno, it just seems weird to "vault" the tactical SMG and introduce a brand new weapon.... The tactical SMG! In the end it's just semantics though. I don't mind them making the SMG more of a close-range weapon. I actually preferred the silenced one after the buff so I'm glad they didn't touch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

John Murdoch posted:

Better idea, instead of a "bloom battle" stand mostly still and tap three shots into the dude's head while all of his bullets bend around you because he's using a minigun at distance and you're not. I'm also drat near positive that whatever assumption you've made based on the ~numbers~ is hilariously wrong.

"just click on his head 3 times while he misses you entirely"

Wow, why haven't I been more receptive to advice itt?

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I dunno how to tell you "stop being bad at videogames" without hurting your feelings dude

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

objectively bad posted:

"just click on his head 3 times while he misses you entirely"

Wow, why haven't I been more receptive to advice itt?

You've been melting down about this for pages now so I actually went and looked at the video and lol. Even if you're going to pretend that there was no way to mount an offense (there was) you weren't even defending yourself properly - against multiple opponents or a high ROF weapon you want to build yourself layers, not just statically jump up and down placing a single wall/ramp in front.

It doesn't seem like taking advice is your forte but next time jump backwards off your tower and move back a few more squares while building up ramps/walls the whole way - the onion-like layering will let the panels closest to you build HP, that then gives you enough time to get a weapon out. If you build in this fashion 2-wide it's even better as your opponent has to pick which of the two panels to shoot through, giving the other side time to build HP as well.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I was joking about the hill to die on but uh, okay?

I rewatched your video and literally all your damage is taken while you're still just spam building. If you had stopped doing that and literally just returned fire before losing your shield, unless you're poo poo at aiming, you would've won.

You literally did... exactly what the minigun is made to go up against. And yet you're still asserting that it deserves a nerf. :cmon:

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
are we looking at the same video? Almost all of my damage is taken when I stop building for a second to try and shoot him, in my panic I switched to a shotgun, but I don't think the idea that it might be a struggle to get 3 headshots in the time it takes to do 160 damage (it took him <2 seconds to do 130ish damage) is all that unreasonable.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

HebrewMagic posted:

At least your name is apt, SA user Objectively Bad

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

The golf carts are so dumb, I love them. I had a dude hop on the back of mine a few nights back and just hose Minigun shots down the valley in a 50 v 50. He hit gently caress all but I didn't care, I was too busy boosting around towers. I want every update to include bullshit vehicles.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I want Halo-style vehicles that go fast and have whacky flipping physics.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

poo poo do you know how many times I've died at the end of a 50 v 50 because I broke down laughing watching a cart get thrown through the sky from explosions

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Game needs helicopters

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

This game needs hoverboards

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

HebrewMagic posted:

I was about to post this :hfive:

Originally thinking bttf style but actual contemporary lovely hoverboards could be pretty funny/good too

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Manky posted:

I was about to post this :hfive:

Originally thinking bttf style but actual contemporary lovely hoverboards could be pretty funny/good too

they play music but you can't turn it off

random chance to explode

yes, good

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

HebrewMagic posted:

PvE has hoverboards and is half price!*

*[Hoverboards not immediately available upon starting the game.]

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i know that shopping karts basically fill the same niche but adding like, mopeds would be cool

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

McGlockenshire posted:

As far as I know, you get your earned XP immediately but I haven't done the math to check it for sure. I often stick around if it looks like we'll win for the extra fifty though.

You don't get the win xp if you don't stick around? That's silly :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The karts are so fun. I rode shotgun in one today and spammed ramps like a madman while we cartwheeled down a mountain. It was good fun

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Neon Belly posted:

You don't get the win xp if you don't stick around? That's silly :(

You don't get the win in duos/squads if you quit back to the lobby but your teammate(s) go on to win the match either.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its why the game automatically puts you into spectator mode when you die. You gotta hang In there for the xp

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Warframe will have hoverboards on the next big patch

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

But you can't dab in Warframe

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I tried Warframe when it first came out and I felt like I was playing Demonik from Grandma's Boy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

wa27 posted:

I found this on reddit which seems to show the same RoF and increased damage:

Although comments are saying accuracy is worse, so it's not useful at long range anymore. I dunno, it just seems weird to "vault" the tactical SMG and introduce a brand new weapon.... The tactical SMG! In the end it's just semantics though. I don't mind them making the SMG more of a close-range weapon. I actually preferred the silenced one after the buff so I'm glad they didn't touch that.

Indeed. Also unless I missed something, they didn't actually name the new SMG anything unique? It was hard to tell when I was picking up an old silenced one or a new not-tac sometimes.

Is there anything special about the higher STW tiers I should know about? I get that it's a lot of extra loot and goodies and such, but am I gonna regret only buying the $20 version?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Father Wendigo posted:

PvE has hoverboards and is half price!*

*[Hoverboards not immediately available upon starting the game.]

They are cool and nice but a little annoying to pull out. You hold down the build key for several seconds.
I wish they would port that over to BR. Maybe make it a consumable that then enables the same function, hold down build key for a few seconds to get a hoverboard.
At least the annoyance would make more sense in PVP than PVE.
It'd probably get put into the vault pretty fast like all of the fun stuff though. RIP Guided Missiles

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
The hoverboards were a godsend when they got added to StW. They're useful now but the main allure originally was because the game had the lovely "Running drains stamina, so you spend most of your time lurching like one of the zombies" mechanic. That was part of the justification for the deply time because otherwise the stamina drain on run would mean hoverboard beat running all the time.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

I miss losing stamina from sprinting just because of how Constructor Kyle would call me a monster in between Bull Rushes.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hahahah finding a gold thermal in 50v50 and just plinking away at the enemy at max range with 500+ rounds while wearing a bush is the most fun

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
50v50 gave me a huge appreciation for scoped ARs. 500 ammo is definitely my threshold to ditch sniper rifles in favor of scoped or thermal.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

John Murdoch posted:

Is there anything special about the higher STW tiers I should know about? I get that it's a lot of extra loot and goodies and such, but am I gonna regret only buying the $20 version?

Short answer: no, dont spend the extra

Long?: Cosmetic treats, and if they brought back the founder's edition, some decent but not mandatory starter equipment. Llamas too I think? The most usable long term benefit is a very solid founder's handgun with a unique trait (bullets chain to enemies) - but with the recent addition of recruiting/research you are not at all constrained in chasing what you want. Also, a lot of people can craft these things for you. It lets you hit the ground running a little faster, but isn't mandatory at all.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 18, 2018

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

bango skank posted:

hahahah finding a gold thermal in 50v50 and just plinking away at the enemy at max range with 500+ rounds while wearing a bush is the most fun

My thing is to find the silenced guns and a bush and hide in their midst.
First game I tried that in, I found an enemy bush running past me and managed a couple of lucky headshots with the silenced pistol. Then a little bit later an entire squad rolled up and dropped a portafort next to me. So I proceeded to shoot out the floor underneath them. Then carefully plonk each one in the head while they were looking away from me shooting at my teammates. I'm not even entirely sure they knew I was there. I don't think any one of them even shot back at me. So I probably got a ton of newbies or something.

I amuse myself in other modes by taking potshots at people with the silenced guns while hiding somewhere. I hit them once and then they poo poo out a DIY portafort. I can only imagine they are confused as hell at where that shot came from. If I can manage it, I try to plink separate people and get them to run into each other.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love setting up ambushes as a bush.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Is PVE horde mode essentially just longer SSDs with less materials? Or does it change eventually. I only had a couple hours to play them so far and beat the first 3.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

It pretty much is SSD with limited resources and harvesting gives you nothing. Defender pads get the most use in Horde for me. But you have to see what level (and what resources are needed to craft) some of your schematics are beforehand since that set of missions uses a different inventory.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

el B posted:

50v50 gave me a huge appreciation for scoped ARs. 500 ammo is definitely my threshold to ditch sniper rifles in favor of scoped or thermal.

I've always been super underwhelmed by the regular scoped ARs (part of the problem might be the size of the scope reticle of all things), but thermals are loving amazing.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Does anyone else get bullshit lag exclusively in 50v50? Feel like it's only happening to me to this patch, who knows. Also hoping to have a batch of wild west themed skins added this season.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Padawan posted:

Does anyone else get bullshit lag exclusively in 50v50? Feel like it's only happening to me to this patch, who knows. Also hoping to have a batch of wild west themed skins added this season.

I've started getting a really bad lag spike at the beginning of every solo match. It hits right after I've landed and grabbed my first gun, so it's nearly killed me several times.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Padawan posted:

I get it with scoped weapons pretty consistently, yeah. Really fuckin annoying when I want to snipe clear across the circle :argh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Padawan posted:

I always do. This game clearly wasn’t made for large numbers of alive players being near each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Yeah 50v50 is a shitshow because Epic can't throttle the server traffic efficiently when tons of players are alive next to each other. Same reason why Tilted lags at the beginning of other game modes.