Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Normal countries require you to pay for DNA tests to prove you deserve your passport, right? That's totally normal?

https://www.avisen.dk/stoejberg-til-shipping-elev-tag-en-dna-test-og-bevis_506959.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Pretty sure he's on board to lose his citizenship, not his passport.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Is that a decision made by the government or bureaucrats at the ministerium? In Sweden a ministers can't weigh in on cases like that, it's left to Migrationsverket. I don't know enough about Denmark to tell if the same applies there.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

This week is the week when all of central Stockholms train infrastructure is either being repaired or breaking down. Commuting - not even once :shepicide:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fader Movitz posted:

This week is the week when all of central Stockholms train infrastructure is either being repaired or breaking down. Commuting - not even once :shepicide:

Fires on the track between Stockholm and Gothenburg. I picked the absolute best day to go on vacation.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Fader Movitz posted:

And to the surprise of nobody, it's the brand new citybanan that has killer escalators that need to be fixed yesterday. They are a year old this week.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Potrzebie posted:

And to the surprise of nobody, it's the brand new citybanan that has killer escalators that need to be fixed yesterday. They are a year old this week.

Are they Chinese or something?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Biomute posted:

Are they Chinese or something?

Close; American. Otis to be more precise. Landstinget saw what this vid and decided we need the same treatment for the public transport plebs.

https://youtu.be/krXj69fJjgA

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 13, 2018

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I swear, being an escalator repair man must be the most lucrative job in Stockholm. I see one get fixed I just know it'll be ripped open for a new repair job a week later.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Making escalaturs iz hard wurk lolz. :downs:

My cynicism is saying this crap will NEVER stop until:
1. The people making the decisions actually give a poo poo.
2. They do even the most basic research on the contractors.
3. They stop happily accepting bribes.

MiddleOne posted:

Fires on the track between Stockholm and Gothenburg. I picked the absolute best day to go on vacation.
Again? I'm not surprised, the whole country is almost dryer than my sex life and set to go up like old birch bark. gently caress this hellish weather and summer.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 13, 2018

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Doesn't seem too bad in København, but this is my first full summer in Denmark

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Potrzebie posted:

Close; American. Otis to be more precise. Landstinget saw what this vid and decided we need the same treatment for the public transport plebs.

https://youtu.be/krXj69fJjgA

Otis is also coincidentally one of the biggest escalator providers on the planet. Weird that how big consolidated firms in niche industries can compromise on quality and yet win every contract bid.

Looking at you Sodexo.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The one escalator at Stortinget has been under active repairs for almost three months now. Like, there's three guys working on it every day I go to and come home from work. I think they might be whittling new parts out of wood or something.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Finally got off my train. The conductor almost started tearing up at one point.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Rust Martialis posted:

It's not unusual to see a stopped escalator, but I've never come across any active repairs. I dunno if they have night contractors working on them or they just need someone to go press a button or mess with some wiring real quick.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pfft, escalators. You guys need to get in on the IC4 game.

https://www.information.dk/debat/2018/07/redde-venstrefloejen-maa-laere-stauning

Sure, guys, we literally pawned off the national energy grid to Goldman Sachs and privatised more than the Liberals could in their wildest dreams, but we're totally serious about taking a page from the great social reformer (and Nazi collaborator :ssh:) now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rust Martialis posted:

It's most Danes' first full summer too.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Pfft, escalators. You guys need to get in on the IC4 game.

https://www.information.dk/debat/2018/07/redde-venstrefloejen-maa-laere-stauning

Sure, guys, we literally pawned off the national energy grid to Goldman Sachs and privatised more than the Liberals could in their wildest dreams, but we're totally serious about taking a page from the great social reformer (and Nazi collaborator :ssh:) now.

We already are.
The IC4 was made by Ansalo-Breda, an Italian company, that have delivered trains to Gothenburg with predictable results. Although not as loving bad as IC4.
There is a saying in Sweden that the Danes are better negotiators than Swedes, but judging from the number of poo poo deals it is obvious that the Danes are good at fooling Swedes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Are you by chance referring to the happy Gothenburg trams that broke down during winter as they couldn't handle the cold? Oh and if my memory is correct the company who made them scored the contract for making some of the spare parts for the f35s exported to Europe.

Cardiac posted:

Danes are good at fooling Swedes.
To be fair, it's not like that's difficult. :v:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

That should be them.
Ansalo-Breda is the company for them and IC4 as I recall.
The IC4 is one thing, that Gothenburg then apparently learned nothing from recent history and adapting Italian trains to Scandinavian conditions is another.

That said, Gothenburg doesn’t have the best history in recent public spending.

Edit:
The afghan (or well afghans from Iran) amnesty law was overturned in Stockholm as well.

Cardiac fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 14, 2018

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Regarding the Gothenburg trams from Ansaldo Breda; the specific requirements for our local weather were not specified in the purchase contract (despite several other northern countries having problems with Ansaldo Breda trains due to it) so the "rusting apart" problem was very much due to our lovely purchase responsibles. In addition our local public transport service washed the trams in a way that ran counter to the way Ansaldo Breda told them to, which meant that the interior of the frame was thoroughly penetrated by moisture, which greatly accelerated the rusting.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Poil posted:

Making escalaturs iz hard wurk lolz. :downs:

My cynicism is saying this crap will NEVER stop until:
1. The people making the decisions actually give a poo poo.
2. They do even the most basic research on the contractors.
3. They stop happily accepting bribes.
Public contracts are very hard to structure don’t you know.

It’s loving hilarious because most people where I work have figured out that if you include maintenance and service extensions in RFP’s you get exactly what you want, and that’s for projects 1/10 the size of metro stations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Anyone have any knowledge about the content of the Norwegian government's police reform and the motivation behind it? Just read an artilce on nrk.no which claims that things at the moment are nearing pretty much a crisis poitns with cases just not being investigated or handled, even serious crimes like rape and violent robbery, due to the process of carrying out the reform creating chaos in the system and there just not having been enough funds allocated to deal with this or much thought put into solving manpower shortages resulting from workloads just getting more and more unmanageable for the existing number of police employees (the number of people on sick leave has risen considerably and a not insignificant number of people seem to be quitting due to stress, frustration and overwork).

So, yeah, doesn't really sound too good. Is this once more a case of this government just having a hard-on for reforming and restructuring existing public systems and structures just for the heck of it (and I guess to make them more *modern* and *efficient*). I guess Ap and the Red-Greens also liked reforms and restructuring just for the sake of it, but this government seems to take it to a new level with this and the region reform.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Did the Norwegian police ever solve cases? I thought their strategy was always to "be a presence in the community" IE: harass partying youths.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Very funny. But at least now this situation is resulting in more cases than ever just not getting handled such as people who have been threatened by their partners or ex-partners not getting their requests to get restraining orders on those people handled and stuff like that just getting queued up indefinitely, which could actually be pretty drat serious and embarassing.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I don't know much about restraining orders, but I am not joking that as far as I know the Norwegian police have never done a good job processing cases a lot of people want them to do, such as thievery, destruction of property and (of course) rape cases. Maybe because it takes work? They're very good at harassing people on boats for not wearing life vests though. Kudos.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Yet it was Säpo who spent a year figuring out, that it may have been a single shooter that was trying to assassinate random immigrants in Malmö in 2009.

But I suppose the fact that they did catch him in the end makes them superior.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
OTOH it's very possible that more than one police organization is hot garbage.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Swe police is a monolithic bureaucracy that has been allowed to swell itself on idiotic do-nothing desk jobs.
Nobody wants to go out on the streets, that work is too demanding right now.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Wild Horses posted:

Swe police is a monolithic bureaucracy that has been allowed to swell itself on idiotic do-nothing desk jobs.

iirc this was literally the rationale of the norwegian police reform being rubbished to bits atm

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

THE BAR posted:

Yet it was Säpo who spent a year figuring out, that it may have been a single shooter that was trying to assassinate random immigrants in Malmö in 2009.

But I suppose the fact that they did catch him in the end makes them superior.

Just a reminder that Peter Mangs only accounted for 10 out of 50 shootings that year. So them not picking up a pattern among a bunch of widely different shootings is not that surprising.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Wild Horses posted:

lovely pay, dead-end career from the start, and some pretty gnarly tasks associated with the work you're doing. What's not to like?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Danish People's Party pushed through a "boar fence" along the border to prevent the spread of swine fever from Germany. It costs 80 million kroner and stretches for 70 km. It also has... openings in it... so other animals like deer can pass through... :suicide:

Social Democrats voted for it, because of course.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

People like to talk about a 50-year (or is it 80-year?) cycle of hate.

I think it's a cycle of utter dumbassery.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SplitSoul posted:

Danish People's Party pushed through a "boar fence" along the border to prevent the spread of swine fever from Germany. It costs 80 million kroner and stretches for 70 km. It also has... openings in it... so other animals like deer can pass through... :suicide:

I was expecting it to be a "boar fence" that conveniently also stops the invading hoards of immigrants. Color me surprised.

E: isn't it really easy to have a fence with openings that lets jumping animals over, but not board under our through?

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 20, 2018

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Knowing the Social Democrats they'll demand watchtowers and a moat in addition to the fence

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Finally rebuilding Danevirke

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BUILD THE WALL

Potrzebie posted:

isn't it really easy to have a fence with openings that lets jumping animals over, but not board under our through?

It's not going to stop swine fever, though. I will light a candle for Martin Henriksen.

The Ministry of Integration is hip with the whole internet thing and has installed a counter on its website.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 21, 2018

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Ministry of integration? Orwell would be proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Conceptually or because the name happily represents the exact opposite of its function?