Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The man hired to organize work in the new brewery was Bavarian, but the beer made there since 1840s was of a whole new type, as the name implies, and made as a culmination of specifically local traditions combined with scientific research, all of which was no more German than it was Slavic, as those categories make no sense in the context.

Anyway, "and from Germans they imported this thing named after a town an hour away from Prague" is a funny thing to say.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Baronjutter posted:

Aren't the German/Slav social experiment the Czechs?

Slovenes as well surely.

Meanwhile are we to consider the Romanians the proper Mediterranean/Slav experiment? Because Romance language?
Or do we count the Greeks?

(the French are meanwhile naturally the Mediterranean/German experiment)

Grape fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 16, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, please, let us continue with this totally ironic phrenology of nations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Glad we have people in here watching out for those mainest victims of racism, the French.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

JosefStalinator posted:

American cities are also gridded because for most of them, the design predates heavy urban settlement hth

Yeah, most American cities, with the exception of the very oldest colonial settlements, are gridded because plans were drawn and plot boundaries marked before anything got built.

But why grids rather than something that followed the terrain? The main reason why planners just plopped down grids everywhere is the grids are very convenient to survey compared to less regular typologies. Of course you can end up with ridiculously steep streets if the topography isn't flat, but hey, that's somebody else's problem.

Railroad companies even produced standardised town plans. You only had to buy some land from the railroads, fill in the name and coordinates of the town and you were the founder of your very own rectilinear podunk town.

The history of American railroad tows is fascinating and this site offers an excellent overview of the topic, complete with a load of maps.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I love how that city is centered with "First Second, Third, Fourth" all being duplicated twice. I bet that never gets confusing. "Oh! I'm on fifth -west- not fifth -east-, have a fun 3 mile walk over to this side of town!" IIRC there is some major city that actually does that, and it should go straight to hell.

I also like how the streets are all named after trees except for Locust.

"Oh yes, these are my cats: Emmentaler, Gruyere, Cheddar, Brie, Stilton, and Ebola."

Edit: Well I'll be damned, "locust" is a type of tree too. Still a pretty bad name tbh.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

U.S. weapons exports from 1950 to 2017. Interesting but not surprising to see how arms exports closely mirror the geopolitical goals of the US and its allies, though it did surprise me how many arms were sold to Australia in the last couple of years.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Peanut President posted:

which they are, btw

good one, sir

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

good one, sir

Prepare to get owned seven years from now

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Saladman posted:

"Oh yes, these are my cats: Emmentaler, Gruyere, Cheddar, Brie, Stilton, and Ebola."
Ebola is a good name for a kitty.

Especially one that makes you bleed out of your skin when you pick it up.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Peanut Butler posted:

good one, sir
Thanks, servant

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Saladman posted:

"Oh! I'm on fifth -west- not fifth -east-, have a fun 3 mile walk over to this side of town!" IIRC there is some major city that actually does that, and it should go straight to hell.

I’ve done this in DC before and ended up sprinting a mile and a half to the nearest metro station, which then got evacuated because the line caught on fire

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

I’ve done this in DC before and ended up sprinting a mile and a half to the nearest metro station, which then got evacuated because the line caught on fire

We have two grill kiosks called Martinsillan Grilli (Martti's Bridge Grill) and one of them is nowhere near the actual bridge and has a huge-rear end signpost with the name on it, whereas one is... well, right next to the bridge and has no signpost. So every now and then at either location you get to overhear half of wonderful conversations that boil down to "I AM here. Here at the grill. loving Martinsillan Grilli as we agreed! OF COURSE I'M SURE; THERE'S A HUGE SIGNPOST THAT SAYS MARTINSILLAN GRILLI I'M STANDING RIGHT UNDER IT! WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU MEAN THERE'S NO SIGNPOST HERE OF COURSE THERE IS I'M RIGHT HERE [many expletives]"

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Freudian posted:

What's that splotch just south of Ireland?

Mayda

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Saladman posted:

I love how that city is centered with "First Second, Third, Fourth" all being duplicated twice. I bet that never gets confusing. "Oh! I'm on fifth -west- not fifth -east-, have a fun 3 mile walk over to this side of town!" IIRC there is some major city that actually does that, and it should go straight to hell.

As someone said, Washington DC is very strict about coordinates, with two versions of the numbered and lettered streets. F St SE is much different from F St NE, and 19th St NW is very different from 19th St NE.

On the other hand, is this where we can discuss Salt Lake City addressing? Where it's coordinates centered on the southeast corner of Temple Square? Random example I found: 273 S 500 E. That's not missing anything. In the postal The house number is 273, the name of the street is "S 500 E". Meaning, it's 5 blocks east of temple square, and between 2 and 3 blocks south. I'm sure it makes for easy navigation in SLC, what with the temple being so visible, but it does produce the weirdest addresses in the country.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The history of American railroad tows is fascinating and this site offers an excellent overview of the topic, complete with a load of maps.
This is a very good thing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Golbez posted:

As someone said, Washington DC is very strict about coordinates, with two versions of the numbered and lettered streets. F St SE is much different from F St NE, and 19th St NW is very different from 19th St NE.

On the other hand, is this where we can discuss Salt Lake City addressing? Where it's coordinates centered on the southeast corner of Temple Square? Random example I found: 273 S 500 E. That's not missing anything. In the postal The house number is 273, the name of the street is "S 500 E". Meaning, it's 5 blocks east of temple square, and between 2 and 3 blocks south. I'm sure it makes for easy navigation in SLC, what with the temple being so visible, but it does produce the weirdest addresses in the country.

I can't speak for the rest of the world but that's how rural addresses work here in Indiana. My cousin lives at 1050 W 750S, with the compass being the two main streets that run past the county courthouse and the road number being roughly hundreths of miles from the county equator or meridian.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You've been lied to by the government, Indiana doesn't have an equator, it's flat.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Guavanaut posted:

You've been lied to by the government, Indiana doesn't have an equator, it's flat.

idk what's a word for a horizontal meridian

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Abscissa and ordinate, maybe.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Peanut President posted:

idk what's a word for a horizontal meridian

You'd call all the directions baselines in the context of this. It happens that we chose to use the equator as the baseline for latitude, but you could say place the baseline at the point of the south pole and just have latitude count northwards from 0 if you wanted.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

„The Negrito“? :raise:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I hate everything about this map.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Cilicia is the lowland coastal armpit of Turkey right above Hatay province. Where Adana is.
I mean it kind of looks like Cyprus burst out of Asia from there, but otherwise wth.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The font is the worst part, but maybe if I could read it I would hate other things more.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

System Metternich posted:

„The Negrito“? :raise:

Greater Powhatan, Jesus Christ

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Grape posted:

Cilicia is the lowland coastal armpit of Turkey right above Hatay province. Where Adana is.
I mean it kind of looks like Cyprus burst out of Asia from there, but otherwise wth.
I like how the Syria/Iraq/Jordan/Saudi Arabian borders in the desert are basically unchanged. Yep, France doesn't exist but we're still following the French Mandate's borders. Totally legit.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Did you whip this up just for this post?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Join us in the shitposting republic, Finland.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Chad's flag saying "OUCH!" got me, you fucker :bahgawd:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Saladman posted:

Since this is the pedantic map thread, Mexico is part of North America. Unless you mean Norteamericano as some Latin Americans use it to mean Canadians and Americans.

Although now I’m curious if the mound builders or any of the other major Us/Canadian pre Columbian civilizations did human sacrifice. Probably yes but probably also not as much of an industrialized slaughter that the Aztecs turned into an art form.

If the more Northerly Indian tribes did engage in human sacrifice, and I don't remember reading any historical source that they did, I would imagine that the geographical pressure of harsher winter weather acted as a sufficient curb on population growth that meant that the massive, massive sacrifices of the Aztecs would have been impossible.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I can't believe the Turks would be such jerks

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
i'm batman

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

:tif:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Did you whip this up just for this post?

I'm Finnish so obviously not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Saladin Rising posted:

I like how the Syria/Iraq/Jordan/Saudi Arabian borders in the desert are basically unchanged. Yep, France doesn't exist but we're still following the French Mandate's borders. Totally legit.

It's a really dumb map and probably made by a child, but a lot of those borders well predated the European dismantling of the Ottoman Empire. Iraq's borders are almost exactly the same now as they were in 1850. Of course it'd be like if you assembled Texas+Mississippi+Oklahoma into a country, but it's not like Africa where the European powers just randomly drew up borders after capturing the territory.

Undated and modern map, but supposedly mid 1800s, showing provincial boundaries

1840, primary source but without the internal province boundaries

Edit: Primary source of the provincial maps, from 1899:

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 18, 2018