Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

"We've got all the approvals and financing bar one bit of rail" is what they've been spinning to avoid debt collectors for years though, has anything really changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's going to be hilarious when it turns out the liberal and especially national parties sold off most of their good will and political capital propping up a Ponzi scheme.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I dunno, I feel very disenfranchised because it feels like if/when the ALP loses one of these by-elections the MSM is going to go full AUSTRALIA NEEDS MALCOLM causing Albo to be instated and trapped in the same fate as Turnbull was. A left-ish Prime Minister installed by right wing forces to do their bidding and to surrender the ideology that made them so popular in the first place.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has described US President Donald Trump as “a patriot” while disagreeing with Mr Trump’s refusal to accept his own spy chiefs’ finding that Russia meddled in the presidential election.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lid posted:

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has described US President Donald Trump as “a patriot” while disagreeing with Mr Trump’s refusal to accept his own spy chiefs’ finding that Russia meddled in the presidential election.

The Prime Minister of Australia deciding to challenge the President of the United States of America in the award category for "Most limply pathetic and sycophantic press statement"

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

I dunno, I feel very disenfranchised because it feels like if/when the ALP loses one of these by-elections the MSM is going to go full AUSTRALIA NEEDS MALCOLM causing Albo to be instated and trapped in the same fate as Turnbull was. A left-ish Prime Minister installed by right wing forces to do their bidding and to surrender the ideology that made them so popular in the first place.

this is way too generous a reading of both Turnbull and Albanese

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

NTRabbit posted:

The Prime Minister of Australia deciding to challenge the President of the United States of America in the award category for "Most limply pathetic and sycophantic press statement"

Bishop: 'Holy poo poo Malcolm, trump disappeared almost entirely up Putin's arse there for a second!'

Trumble: 'Hold my beer.'

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
gently caress the Liberals blind obsession with coal power. This report is only two weeks old.

quote:

The Department of Industry, Innovation and Science released a report on Monday that included projections for global commodity prices and volumes.

“The sharp decline in 2019–20 export earnings will be the result of a forecast decline in prices, which is expected to more than offset the impact of minor growth in the volume of thermal coal exports,” the report says.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/jul/02/matt-canavans-optimistic-coal-forecast-contradicts-his-own-department

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for June

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
much bags

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
READ
THEN
PISS

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Men
Women
Bags
Us :shobon:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Victims
Raped
Trump

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Meat
Rape
Men

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
SEXUAL
NUCLEAR

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Build
Hard
Things

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

I'm 'Sexual Nuclear'

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/elfyscott/heres-how-sensationalised-portrayals-of-african-gangs-are

quote:

Political statements and reporting from media outlets on "African gangs" are increasing racial discrimination in Victoria, according to new figures released this week by the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission.
The commission found that race-related reports of discrimination made to the commission's enquiry line have risen by 34% from the 2016-17 to the 2017-18 financial year.
The number of formal complaints pursued has risen 129% between 2017 and 2018, with 33 complainants alleging racial discrimination in the first half of last year as compared to 75 in the first half of this year.
The report looks to "inflammatory race-related political statements and reporting in January of this year, revived again last week by some media outlets" as the driving force of this leap in discrimination reports.

"Today's figures suggest that a racially-charged atmosphere persists long after the headlines have faded," the report says.
Kristen Hilton, the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commissioner, told BuzzFeed News that this escalation in reported discrimination is affecting all brackets of the African community, "we've had incidences of Sudanese school girls who have been waiting for the bus and have been spat on".
"50% of those complaints have related to racism in employment, for example, we had one person who came to us and the potential employer asked him if he was a member of an Apex gang".

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Take much bags
(Take much bags)
Take them all
They'll be gone
In a weeeeeeek

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

gently caress me dead

Forget the internet, showing lies on television is the greatest cancer of our time

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I refuse to say "fake news"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Speaking of media lies:

quote:

The Canberra Press Gallery has announced its members will boycott the Pacific Islands Forum in solidarity with banned ABC journalists. Political editor Dr Martin Hirst says this is an historic decision by the Gallery.

Of course, NewsCorp will still send a team so everything is fine :tif: But it is a rare showing of intestinal fortitude by the CPG and should be encouraged.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for June

tasmania is spot on every time

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

ewe2 posted:

Speaking of media lies:

Of course, NewsCorp will still send a team so everything is fine :tif: But it is a rare showing of intestinal fortitude by the CPG and should be encouraged.

Jesus wept. Front page spread in the Telegraph about how good things are over there for asylum seekers, and by God what are these people complaining about? It’s a tropical paradise.

And not a single Australian press outlet to say otherwise.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I don't think anyone reads the Telegraph for anything other than the sports so it might not be so harmful after all.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I can't even feign shock anymore:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-18/cashless-welfare-audit-finds-monitoring-severely-lacking/10005214

It wouldn't be so bad but most of the lessons that are needed to be learnt here were already learnt back in the 18 hundreds by missionaries. More second verse same as the first: The evaluation was inadequately funded. Why fund something that is already well known? https://www.orima.com.au/home/ are just the people for a fast agile and inexpensive reiteration of what they were briefed to find.

Why are problems that have been 'analysed' for centuries so difficult to address? Oh it's for browns. Silly me. Why don't they just white up or loving just die off already? loving inconsiderate bastards.

At least the UNHCR haven't caught on to that one, yet:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/08/un-body-condemns-australia-for-illegal-detention-of-asylum-seekers-and-refugees

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Cartoon posted:

I can't even feign shock anymore:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-18/cashless-welfare-audit-finds-monitoring-severely-lacking/10005214

It wouldn't be so bad but most of the lessons that are needed to be learnt here were already learnt back in the 18 hundreds by missionaries. More second verse same as the first: The evaluation was inadequately funded. Why fund something that is already well known? https://www.orima.com.au/home/ are just the people for a fast agile and inexpensive reiteration of what they were briefed to find.

Why are problems that have been 'analysed' for centuries so difficult to address? Oh it's for browns. Silly me. Why don't they just white up or loving just die off already? loving inconsiderate bastards.

At least the UNHCR haven't caught on to that one, yet:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/08/un-body-condemns-australia-for-illegal-detention-of-asylum-seekers-and-refugees

quote:

For example, the minister was advised that there were fewer ambulance call-outs in September 2016 compared to the previous year.

However, when ANAO took seasonality into account and analysed the data over a longer period, it found a 17 per cent increase in call-outs between April and October 2016 compared to the previous year.

It was a similar story with school attendance. The minister was told there was an increase, but ANAO analysis found it dropped for Indigenous students after the implementation of the trial.

Despite the inconsistencies, Social Services Minister Dan Tehan is standing by the scheme.

They're just making up their own numbers.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Yeah, they're just telling the minister what he wants to hear and pocketing the money. I bet they can't show their numbers.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

starkebn posted:

Yeah, they're just telling the minister what he wants to hear and pocketing the money. I bet they can't show their numbers.

Katherine Murphy (flogging her book) believes it's the new way that advisors make policy: they just make it up and put it out on all channels so the media can only react and can't make context for it, because there won't be any until they make that up too.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

the government is deliberately making it mildly-to-moderately difficult for most people to survive so that nobody will make a scene about the concentration camps btw

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

They've been doing it for years now. A compliant media means they'll never be called out on it, they'll just report what they say with no checking.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
But watch what happens when Bill forgets to carry a one.

BILLS BUDGET BLACK HOLE

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
BILL'S BUDGET BOOSTS BOAT BLUDGERS.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The APS is very into “evidence-based policy” which means collecting more numbers from more sources that can subsequently be manipulated in such a way to present obvious policy failures as successes

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Anidav posted:

BILL'S BUDGET BOOSTS BOAT BLUDGERS.

How much longer till you're doing the front page, comrade?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-18/gut-health-tests-now-done-by-poo-sticks-via-queensland-firm/10005278

quote:

The new testing protocol, developed by Brisbane-based company Microba, involves taking a faecal sample and mailing it to a laboratory that can use DNA sequencing technology to paint a picture of gut microorganisms.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Reroute all that mail to Coogee, just in time for the dessert special.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

blindidiotgod posted:

Reroute all that mail to Coogee, just in time for the dessert special.

It is a federal offence to tamper with my posts.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
How long before people need to mail their poo poo to Centrelink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I would almost prefer it. It's better than a phone call on endless hold at least.

• Locked thread