Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ekuNNN posted:

uhhh....
Yeah that's how it works, haven't you seen the documentary film Top Gun? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNPVRh0ngUo

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

VanSandman posted:

The military is gay as hell.
can confirm

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, but that's hardly equipment that's standard.
Agreed, but you didn't say standard, you just said it's hard to get enough parasitic drain for that to happen, where I get it with two fairly common pieces of equipment that don't seem like they should draw all that much current.

spog posted:

They are also usually connected to switched power, too.
OBD port hasn't been switched on any of the cars I've ever had. Not sure why, it's not like it's useful when the ECU isn't powered on, but that's how it is.

As far as the radar detector goes, that depends on the vehicle. Presumably most are plugged in to the "cigarette lighter" socket which is a coin flip as to whether it's switched or not. I definitely need to move my hardwire kit over from my other car.

Sagebrush posted:

It's written in kind of a dumb way but here it is
Yup that's the one, worse writing than I remembered but that's definitely the story.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 17, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wolrah posted:

My radar detector and bluetooth OBD dongle have combined to drain the batteries of a few of my cars to the point of not starting if I go a couple of days without using them, especially in the winter. I drive a lot (~28,000 miles/year) but since I work from home I can go a few days without needing to go anywhere.

If I forget to plug in to the trickle charger or unplug those two things there's a good chance I'm going to get a really slow crank or total failure to start.

If I had this problem I would get a low‐voltage disconnect switch.

It’s a relay in series with the battery. The control’s circuit monitors the battery’s voltage and if it drops below a certain threshold the relay opens and disconnects everything to prevent it from dropping any further.

When you want to drive, you flip a switch to connect the battery, crank it, and drive away.

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

We also developed a nuclear torpedo because we were convinced that the Soviets had 10s of thousands of subs in the water at all times in all places.

that you need to do around 60 knots to outrun the blast radius when subs at the time did 30 knots at best

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

dis astranagant posted:

We also developed a nuclear torpedo because we were convinced that the Soviets had 10s of thousands of subs in the water at all times in all places.

It makes sense given how hard it is to find a submarine. Just nuke the area. It would also gently caress up a surface fleet pretty good.

Soviets developed their own, but as strategic rather than tactical weapons: the intent was to launch a man made tsunami on enemy coastal facilities. Rocketry made the concept obsolete, but lately Russians have tooled with the idea as a counter to US antiballistic missiles.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

It'd do more for keeping a 12v battery trickle charged than charge it from flat yes, but I don't think sensible people are suggesting trying to charge a tesla from a sunroof panel.
Yeah this. It makes dealing with long term ancillaries a lot easier. Climate control, battery temp management, all the bullshit connected crap, etc

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Blindeye posted:

This was also the 50s before we invented SAMs/Air-to-Air missiles with guidance. Nike rockets were...you guessed it, nuclear-tipped, unguided weapons meant to aim at masses of bombers.

Not quite. The Nike systems (Ajax, Hercules and Zeus) were command guided. Instead of the guidance system (intertial, radar homing, whatever) being on board the missile, they were radio guided from ground stations, so they actually could be steered, and were not free flight like, say the Zuni air-to-air missiles used during WWII. Now, of course, in the case of command guidance, if somebody forgot to change the batteries in the ground transmitter... :haw:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Not quite. The Nike systems (Ajax, Hercules and Zeus) were command guided. Instead of the guidance system (intertial, radar homing, whatever) being on board the missile, they were radio guided from ground stations, so they actually could be steered, and were not free flight like, say the Zuni air-to-air missiles used during WWII. Now, of course, in the case of command guidance, if somebody forgot to change the batteries in the ground transmitter... :haw:

I mean, it was very crude and unreliable, hence the decision to switch out conventional warheads for nukes.

But hey, my story about the dudes was corroborated!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Passed this on the interstate today trucking along at 80mph.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Looks like someone forgot to mention a shed full of bullshit when the guy from the moving company came by to build the quote, and the packers got stuck with it on moving day when the client said “oh yeah this stuff too”

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I accidentally responded to the air2air nuke chat from here, in the military history thread. And they answered with something more OSHA appropriate then the last few pages here:
https://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/nuke-the-pilot-2769219/

quote:

I flew a Republic F-84F into seven nuclear explosions to measure the effects of the heat and the shock wave on aircraft.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

My grandfather is in that picture...he died of super cancer.

Grem fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 17, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

tonberrytoby posted:

I accidentally responded to the air2air nuke chat from here, in the military history thread. And they answered with something more OSHA appropriate then the last few pages here:
https://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/nuke-the-pilot-2769219/

Pro Read right here.

A Mad Man posted:

Whether the overexposure contributed to the life-threatening melanoma I developed seven months later, I’ll never know.

Hmm who can possibly say?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnCU20Cu0fs

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Hmm who can possibly say?

quote:

. Although we had been briefed that the maximum exposure we could safely receive was 100 milli-roentgens in six months, I had pointed out to the flight surgeon that I had been exposed to 100 on each of my first two flights. Whether the overexposure contributed to the life-threatening melanoma I developed seven months later, I’ll never know.

200 milliroentgens is a pretty small amount of exposure. For the kind of radiation he was exposed to that's about 200 millirem, or 2 millisieverts. 4 mSv is about a year's worth of background exposure for most people. The occupational one-year dose limit for radiation workers is 50 mSv, and the lowest dose actually linked to any increase in cancer risk is about double that.

I doubt that had anything to do with his getting melanoma in such a short time.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Phanatic posted:

200 milliroentgens is a pretty small amount of exposure. For the kind of radiation he was exposed to that's about 200 millirem, or 2 millisieverts. 4 mSv is about a year's worth of background exposure for most people. The occupational one-year dose limit for radiation workers is 50 mSv, and the lowest dose actually linked to any increase in cancer risk is about double that.

The other thing you gotta factor is that pilots in general get way more radiation (I believe it's about 10 millirem per hour flying at 30,000 feet, plus the sunburn on your face is also no joke.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Blindeye posted:

The other thing you gotta factor is that pilots in general get way more radiation (I believe it's about 10 millirem per hour flying at 30,000 feet, plus the sunburn on your face is also no joke.

It's much lower than that.

https://www.faa.gov/data_research/research/med_humanfacs/oamtechreports/2000s/media/0316.pdf

A long, high-altitude NY-Tokyo route has you in the air for 13 hours and at altitudes over 40,000'. Additional dose is .0754 mSv, or .0058 mSv/hour, or .58 mrem/hour.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Phanatic posted:

Do you think the unquantified additional exposure he states ("I wasn't allowed to see the radiation film badges as they were classified") or perhaps this:

Are You loving Kidding Me posted:

My next two missions were H-bomb tests over Bikini Atoll. On the second, the bomb exceeded its predicted yield by a significant amount, breaking my airplane’s right wing spar in two places. On the plus side, this provided the test engineers with the maximum possible data and negated the need for more testing.

Could maybe point to a guy that regularly flew over nuclear blasts just perhaps having a strong causal link with a cancer linked to exposure to high levels of UV and or other types of radiation? I mean I suppose it could have been melanoma on his rear end and be irrelevant...

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
This is pretty OSHA with nukes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Damascus_Titan_missile_explosion . A member of a crew working on a Titan missile dropped the socket off of his wrench. It fell down the silo and put a hole in the first stage. This caused rocket fuel to start to leak. It gets worse from there. But it doesn't end with a nuclear boom. They managed to recover the warhead about a 100 ft from the silo.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It’s the main story told in Command and Control (everyone should read this)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Confirmed its a great book for all sorts of reasons.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Do you think the unquantified additional exposure he states ("I wasn't allowed to see the radiation film badges as they were classified") or perhaps this:

Sure, anything's possible.

quote:

Could maybe point to a guy that regularly flew over nuclear blasts just perhaps having a strong causal link with a cancer linked to exposure to high levels of UV and or other types of radiation? I mean I suppose it could have been melanoma on his rear end and be irrelevant...

Radiation and tumorgenesis really don't work that way. Sunlight causes melanoma precisely because the UVB radiation isn't very penetrating; it his your skin, penetrates a short way, and dumps its energy into that small skin depth. X-rays are far more energetic and go right through, so there's not this concentrated dose right to your skin. It's much more of a whole-body dose, and there's no particular reason it'd cause melanomas vs other sorts of cancers. There's no particular increase in risk for melanoma among a-bomb survivors, for instance:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24754560

TTerrible posted:

It's the main story told in Command and Control (everyone should read this)

Second.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can't believe people are talking about the F-89 Scorpion without bringing up the only time it ever saw combat: the Battle of Palmdale.

A rogue target drone flew off toward the town, so they scrambled two F-89s to shoot it down with their Mighty Mouse anti-air rocket pods. They fired 208 rockets. Every single one missed the drone and it crashed into some power lines along an unpaved desert road. The rockets...didn't.

quote:

The first set of rockets started brush fires 7 miles (11 km) northeast from Castaic which burned 150 acres (61 ha) above the old Ridge Route near Bouquet Canyon.[2]

Some of the second set of rockets reached the ground near the city of Newhall. In Placerita Canyon, one rocket was seen bouncing along the ground and starting a series of fires near a park, while others set fire to oil sumps owned by the Indian Oil Co. The fires reached within 300 feet (91 m) of the Bermite Powder explosives plant. Other rockets started fires in the proximity of Soledad Canyon, near Mount Gleason, burning more than 350 acres (140 ha) of rough brush.[1]

The final set of rockets were fired while the Scorpions faced Palmdale; many landed within the town. "As the drone passed over Palmdale's downtown, Mighty Mouse rockets fell like hail."[1] "Edna Carlson, who lived in the home on Third Street East, said that a chunk of shrapnel from one Air Force rocket burst through the front window of her home, ricocheted off the ceiling, went through a wall and came to rest in a kitchen cupboard."[2] More rocket fragments completely penetrated a home and garage on 4th Street East. One rocket landed right in front of a vehicle being driven west on California State Route 138 near Tenth Street West, of which one tire was shredded and many holes were punched through the car's body.[8] Two men in Placerita Canyon had been eating in their utility truck; right after they left it to sit under the shade of a tree, a rocket struck the truck, destroying it. Many fires were started near Santa Clarita, with three large ones and many smaller ones in and around Palmdale.[9]

It took 500 firefighters two days to bring the brushfires under control. 1,000 acres (400 ha) were burned.[1][10] There were no fatalities.[11]

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I can't believe people are talking about the F-89 Scorpion without bringing up the only time it ever saw combat: the Battle of Palmdale.

A rogue target drone flew off toward the town, so they scrambled two F-89s to shoot it down with their Mighty Mouse anti-air rocket pods. They fired 208 rockets. Every single one missed the drone and it crashed into some power lines along an unpaved desert road. The rockets...didn't.

Makes that cop blazing away through his windshield as he drives at high speed through residential areas in Vegas look like the soul of restraint.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

really more quoting your quote but I think he just said he flew Castle Bravo :stare:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

One of Col. Jack Broughton's two books (I don't remember which one) talks about testing the genie and the mighty mouse and all the efforts they went to to make them even slightly useful (they failed)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

chitoryu12 posted:

That's a great story and I really wish the Wikipedia entry had the usual Belligerents/Strength/Result/etc sections.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Platystemon posted:

You can run red diesel in your tractor on public roads to transfer from one field to another, but only for 1500 m.

In North Dakota you can run off-road it in a tractor as long as it's for transportation between fields but it's more like 25 miles or so to my memory. We never had to move a tractor more than 21 but that was only for repairs at the tractor dealer. For fields it would usually be about 2 miles away but that's a pretty small distance on the prairie. 10 miles or so would be pretty normal for others that had more land.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
every so often i wonder why i have phanatic on ignore and then he goes and posts something like "the cancer that killed that air force test pilot was probably unrelated to his job of flying into atomic bomb fallout clouds" and i go oh right.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From the "There were no good decisions leading up to this" files.

https://giant.gfycat.com/LividTameArgentineruddyduck.mp4

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

That video always makes me laugh.

There are so many similar videos too, most of them done with no water nearby or anything.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Spatial posted:

There are so many similar videos too, most of them done with no water nearby or anything.

Almost like they're staged....

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

pretending to be a retard.gif, except your entire head is on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Spatial posted:

The classic: