Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Millennials need to stop killing the economy imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FAUXTON posted:

lol at betting on a recovery at that point

eh it recovered after 2008 and that was like a 38% drop from prior high to the bottom of the slide

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

But if you aren't really trying to time the market and you happen to be presented with the chance to buy while the S&P 500 is at -7000 then that's a good opportunity so....

which you should also have executed had the S&P 500 been at par or plus/minus X

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

I've quit drinking and now my biggest non-essential expense is coffee shops where I'm often working remotely! Baby steps :)

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

son you seem to fundamentally misunderstand your position in the market

if you are long, like super long, you want poo poo to be cheap

Forever? Eventually I want poo poo to be insanely overpriced and exit the market to invest it all in buttcoin.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also don't time the market

True but if the Dow went to 10,000 I would buy a bunch. I would not be looking at the money for 20 years at least so I think it would be worth it. Maybe that is technically timing things but I am also still buying every month at the moment.

FAUXTON posted:

lol at betting on a recovery at that point

I can't see why it wouldn't. the government will not let civilization crash. people will invest since they think they can make a bunch of money.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This Time It Would Be Different

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This Time It Would Be Different

If the Dow shed two thirds of its value at a time when monetary policy doesn't have many remaining ways to stop deflationary spirals that aren't already in heavy use yeah that would be different, especially with a government hostile to countercyclical spending (or spending of any kind) as a moral hazard.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
lol

oh wait you're serious

LOL

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
"The End of Growth."

OK, so what are you going to do differently?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

"The End of Growth."

OK, so what are you going to do differently?

Invest in the successor companies afterwards as opposed to the predecessors before?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

FAUXTON posted:

Invest in the successor companies afterwards as opposed to the predecessors before?

You're going to sideline your money for long enough for every business to fail and be replaced?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You're going to sideline your money for long enough for every business to fail and be replaced?

If everyone is rushing to put their money in the lowest-risk assets possible I'm sure as hell not going to just buy stocks with it right away.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Sooo, still the index? Because if the successor companies are so successful... they'll become the new market, and the index will still be the best thing to invest in.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Hoodwinker posted:

Sooo, still the index? Because if the successor companies are so successful... they'll become the new market, and the index will still be the best thing to invest in.

I'm starting to realize that people don't know the definition of an index fund includes all the companies that match the requirement of the index. It's not some random sample group. So when a company no longer meets the metrics for the S&P 500, it's replaced by the next one up.

But hey, some people are hardcore DIYers I guess.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hoodwinker posted:

if this index is trying to track a Dow that's off 60% from a month earlier I'm saying I'll stay away from risk a little while longer and wait until, like, treasuries stop being priced in barter or what have you.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

if this index is trying to track a Dow that's off 60% from a month earlier I'm saying I'll stay away from risk a little while longer and wait until, like, treasuries stop being priced in barter or what have you.
The DJIA only covers 30 companies. People usually invest in the S&P 500 or the Russell 5000. VTSMX, Vanguard's total market index fund, is 3,628 companies. Additionally, the DJIA is price-weighted instead of capitalization-weighted. It's a terrible index to be tracking against. I don't know if you meant to use it for your example specifically or you were just making an example of when an index is down, but the DJIA is a bad example. If the total market is down 60%, your best bet is still to invest in it all the way through because otherwise you're either trying to guess the bottom (and you'll probably do it wrong) or you're trying to guess which of the 3,628 companies is going to be the Next Big Thing (and you'll probably be wrong).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hoodwinker posted:

The DJIA only covers 30 companies. People usually invest in the S&P 500 or the Russell 5000. VTSMX, Vanguard's total market index fund, is 3,628 companies. Additionally, the DJIA is price-weighted instead of capitalization-weighted. It's a terrible index to be tracking against. I don't know if you meant to use it for your example specifically or you were just making an example of when an index is down, but the DJIA is a bad example. If the total market is down 60%, your best bet is still to invest in it all the way through because otherwise you're either trying to guess the bottom (and you'll probably do it wrong) or you're trying to guess which of the 3,628 companies is going to be the Next Big Thing (and you'll probably be wrong).

This is what I initially started responding to:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

But if you aren't really trying to time the market and you happen to be presented with the chance to buy while the S&P 500 is at -7000 then that's a good opportunity so....

And then someone else talked about buying "a bunch" if the Dow fell to 10k. I'd be all the way in preservation mode at that point with either of those two scenarios, I'm not sure where everyone else was coming from because those are insanely dire numbers and presumably indicative of something more wide-ranging than business cycles.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

This is what I initially started responding to:

And then someone else talked about buying "a bunch" if the Dow fell to 10k. I'd be all the way in preservation mode at that point with either of those two scenarios, I'm not sure where everyone else was coming from because those are insanely dire numbers and presumably indicative of something more wide-ranging than business cycles.
If that happens, money doesn't matter anymore then.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The dow lost nearly half its value between Q4 2007 and Q1 2009 and that certainly did not lead to money not mattering anymore

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The dow lost nearly half its value between Q4 2007 and Q1 2009 and that certainly did not lead to money not mattering anymore
I guess I was referring more to the S&P 500 somehow reaching the unreachable number of -7000. Either the market takes a dump (which it has done before) and it absolutely is covered under the banner of "market cycles" or it craters and money doesn't matter anymore.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

I guess I was referring more to the S&P 500 somehow reaching the unreachable number of -7000. Either the market takes a dump (which it has done before) and it absolutely is covered under the banner of "market cycles" or it craters and money doesn't matter anymore.

oh yeah, OK - I agree for sure!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hoodwinker posted:

If that happens, money doesn't matter anymore then.

Hence "good luck betting on a recovery at that point."

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah we'll be fine unless This Time It's Different

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Who can claim the most shameful salary/price of car ratio in here? I'm about to make an offer on a car that's 70% of my annual income and can already feel the remorse :thumbsup:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Who can claim the most shameful salary/price of car ratio in here? I'm about to make an offer on a car that's 70% of my annual income and can already feel the remorse :thumbsup:

You picking up a brand new sweet Mitsubishi Mirage?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lookit Mr Monopoly over here with his "BRAND NEW Car" suggestion

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I have a car that's too expensive but it's nothing like that.

Why are you doing that?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

No Butt Stuff posted:

I have a car that's too expensive but it's nothing like that.

Why are you doing that?

Tell me more! How too expensive? How'd you end up with it?

For me, it's dumb Industry Pressure (commercial real estate). Your income is sadly influenced by what kind of car you arrive on inspections in.

And what you wear.

And what restaurants you dine your clients at.

But food and clothes are less interesting to talk about than things that go vroom

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I drive a big dumb 30k truck and make around 100k. I did this because I grew up in a stupid farm town and despite moving to the city I've convinced myself it's not worth having to rent a truck from home depot the 4 times a year I use it.

I also let me children have pizza at school.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my (2nd lol guillotine) car was not that expensive at a mere 7% of annual salary but it is overly expensive and a huge maintenance pig!

at one point i did have a car that was about 60% of my annual salary when I had a real honest to God full time job. But it was leased taking advantage of super awesome residuals and cap rates in 2010, so i think it might have been GWM?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

For me, it's dumb Industry Pressure (commercial real estate). Your income is sadly influenced by what kind of car you arrive on inspections in.

And what you wear.

But food and clothes are less interesting to talk about than things that go vroom

So you had to buy a used Bentley because a two to three year off lease used Mercedes or something wasn't going to do the trick of impressing your clients enough lol

I bought a car that was 120% of my salary, although less than my overall income from all sources, but then about 6 months later my income quintupled. In retrospect I would have waited but it turned out okay and I got 2% used financing from a credit union

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 18, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gotta spend all your money to make some money :grin:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

And what you wear.

at the risk of starting Car Chat what are you getting

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
E: wrong thread

I paid $10 to post in the wrong thread and that’s GWM.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What qualifies as flashy in (I’m assuming) urban commercial real estate? Bentley, Alfa Romeo?

Okay car chat has been started so this is a cross post from the goals thread as I failed my don’t buy a car challenge (S5)

Now I don’t mind dropping the kids off at daycare taking the winding, hilly country roads! Donated the Acura to my brother, so at least he has a functional car too.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Cars are the stupidest loving way to spend money.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
BWM: giving a car away

GWM: receiving a donated care.

It balances out the universe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Cars are the stupidest loving way to spend money.

also the most fun

but i can imagine being gun shy after you dropped like a trillion dollars on an xc-90 :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also the most fun

but i can imagine being gun shy after you dropped like a trillion dollars on an xc-90 :catdrugs:

lol, and that was only 14% of our annual salary.

I really do love that car, though.