Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

Is Leno actually any good? Never seen him play and when the transfer happened I seem to remember Bundesliga posters being pretty unimpressed with him.

Guess I could just watch some highlight vids of him and get hype and wait for Man City to put 8 past him first game

Yeah, I haven’t heard anyone actually praise him. Same with Sokratis. I’m happy Arsenal got their business done early, but I’m not exactly brimming with confidence about who they’ve signed.

Torreira seems like a player, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sokratis and Leno are both players who could benefit with a change of scenery/new system/more direct coaching, or they could just not be very good. Arsenal have really really dumb finances and lots of holes and I'm glad they prioritized Torreira.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Allison is good, i just dont think hes actually better than ederson.imma a benfica fan so i might have some bias. Hes pretty good with his feet though, a team that plays with a high defensive line could really use him. hes that most illusive of unicorns, a good sweeper keeper.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Sokratis and Leno are both players who could benefit with a change of scenery/new system/more direct coaching, or they could just not be very good.

This feels like the case with most of Arsenal’s players, tbh.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Allison is good, i just dont think hes actually better than ederson.imma a benfica fan so i might have some bias. Hes pretty good with his feet though, a team that plays with a high defensive line could really use him. hes that most illusive of unicorns, a good sweeper keeper.

Right, he's extremely good with his feet for a keeper, which makes him valuable to a manager that really prioritizes that. He's a pretty solid shot stopper too, but his passing and control are his best traits.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

paddyboat posted:

I watched a lot of Serie A this year and yes, he’s good.

Same op. I think he is a tad overrated by the media though.

Sokratis on the other hand, is poo poo.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I'm sad to see Courtois go. He's pretty much the first great player Chelsea would've rather kept but had to sell since Roman arrived. Costa was close but he was a headcase so a bit different scenario.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

then Liverpool would be free to sign Keylor Navas instead and probably for less than Alisson

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Lmao

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

:greencube:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Finally someone to fill the hole left behind by Jay Spearing

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

blue footed boobie posted:

Yeah, I haven’t heard anyone actually praise him. Same with Sokratis. I’m happy Arsenal got their business done early, but I’m not exactly brimming with confidence about who they’ve signed.

Torreira seems like a player, though.

I feel like Arsenal have signed some of the players people thought they should sign under Wenger (a keeper, a commanding centre back, a midfield enforcer etc.) but due to their position i.e. having no CL football have had to shop at the tier just before what they probably need. Have you played any pre-season games yet? I'm interested to see how Emery sets up the team.

I think that Arsenal will do better than people think this season - but still finish fifth.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lol

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

EvilHawk posted:

I feel like Arsenal have signed some of the players people thought they should sign under Wenger (a keeper, a commanding centre back, a midfield enforcer etc.) but due to their position i.e. having no CL football have had to shop at the tier just before what they probably need. Have you played any pre-season games yet? I'm interested to see how Emery sets up the team.

I think that Arsenal will do better than people think this season - but still finish fifth.

I think some of it depends is Chelsea and Spurs continue to stuff up their summers. If Hazard and Cortois go, and their replacements don't hit the ground running, or Spurs just roll with the same team as last year but knackered by the world Cup, either could be vulnerable to Arsenal.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
what is going to be the new wenger must walk, emery must evacuate?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Wenger must walk back

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Considering his name is an anagram for your enema exit genie...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

EvilHawk posted:

We played a preseason game against Boreham Wood, first half was a 4-3-3, second half after 11 subs was I think 3-5-1-1 with wingbacks, but nobody from a world cup squad participated

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Emery must Emigrate.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
fulham might finally be about to sign mitrovic for £20m

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Jose posted:

fulham might finally be about to sign mitrovic for £20m

fulham seem to be spending some serious cash this window

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

fulham seem to be spending some serious cash this window

would be cool if newcastle spent any money at all considering this is the second season in the premier league and they should have some.

anyway

https://twitter.com/DominicKing_DM/status/1019531302306045953

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
do people still remember when I had a berbatov av, I don't want to be called a plastic when I celebrate Fulham's championship

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I'm apprehensive about spaffing £66m on a GK that has had 1 really good season. But considering it's been a consistent weak spot for us for a long time and our net spend is stupidly good right now I guess its justified.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho...8646%2Fpage-322

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Mourinho must mosey along.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Pep must piss off.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Jose must gose

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Der Shovel posted:

Mourinho must moyesey along.

ftfy

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

I'm apprehensive about spaffing £66m on a GK that has had 1 really good season. But considering it's been a consistent weak spot for us for a long time and our net spend is stupidly good right now I guess its justified.

It is a lot of money, but it seems to be the new normal price for top-tier players now.

If Liverpool go back in for Fekir now they will have dumped an enormous amount of money on players this season, which is cool and good, but I still can't figure out what plan B is if Firmino gets injured.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

its not your money mate

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Myssu posted:

It is a lot of money, but it seems to be the new normal price for top-tier players now.

If Liverpool go back in for Fekir now they will have dumped an enormous amount of money on players this season, which is cool and good, but I still can't figure out what plan B is if Firmino gets injured.

Yeah I guess the market value shift has just hosed up my baseline values now. I guess like 30m is the new 10m.

Yeah its a worry about Firmino. He seems durable but he can't play 90mins of every game and if he gets injured we have Solanke, Igns and then I think I'm 4th on the depth chart after them.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Mou must gou

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its weird its taken this long for keepers to cost that much considering its a single point of failure in a team where a great keeper makes a huge difference

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I feel like maybe Liverpool would be better off buying Kasper Schmeichel.

He knows the premier league and has shown repeatedly that he is a really good goalkeeper. Would also be a lot cheaper than this fancy brazilian guy.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

DeGea would have gone for about £50m a couple of seasons ago I reckon if Utd hadn't had "Fax issues".

Buffon went for what was considered alot back in the day didnt he?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

who is allison? is she hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Sphyre posted:

who is allison? is she hot

https://twitter.com/thealisonbecker/status/1019269075183153152

• Locked thread